Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

CheapGraphicNovels and OrganicPricedBooks are the other two players.

Cheers! :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I get the feeling that this might have been covered in one of the most recent X-books that focuses on Nightcrawler, but I haven't read it yet.

So the X-men/all mutants are effectively immortal now. If you are a mutant and you are killed, then the Council of X-men will convene, use their magic eggs, plus the magic of Karakoa and other :technobabble: and will resurrect you. If you die in glorious service of mutantkind, you will get fast tracked to the front of the line. There are some rules that seem to be if you die in another dimension then you come back different at best and wrong at worst. One exception to this resurrection are precogs (but psychics are ok), because there is some real shady poo poo going on.

But in general, the gist is "every mutant who was killed/murdered, whether in the line of duty, or through a lynch mob and everything in-between, is going to be or has been brought back from the dead."

So, has anybody come back and said "What the gently caress? I was dead. I was in heaven with my family, and I was happy. I was at peace. And you brought me back to this miserable existence."

Or have the X-men basically proven that there is no Heaven? No afterlife to speak of. You live, you die, and then nothingness, until your number is called and then you poof back to life, with no adverse side effects*

*citation needed

Also, from what I recall, Warpath 1 is still dead. I thought there was some line about everyone who was an X-man or other named affiliate who died gets the resurrection treatment. I know that's a character no one has thought about in probably 30 years, but you'd think this would be the opportunity to address this.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The resurrection techno babble finishes with Xavier sticking a backup of your mind into your body, so no one would remember anything that would happen after that backup was made. So, no knowledge of the afterlife.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So they’re just making duplicates of dead people, then? That would not be a great comfort to me if people were encouraging me to think of myself as immortal from a setup like that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's a very The 6th Day scenario.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Interesting. So I feel that could leave the door open for a future story line.

Oh, hey, all those heroes you "resurrected"? Yeah, those are just empty husks. The souls are still in Heaven/Hell/Whatever, so you've been mass producing abominations that are an affront to god and decency.

Also, I guess that's really kind of only good for suicide missions and not say a reconnaissance mission. If you only have memory from before you died.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
every rezzed mutant is a new soul and heaven is getting so stocked up they had to build a new wing just to house all the wolverines that show up

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

every rezzed mutant is a new soul and heaven is getting so stocked up they had to build a new wing just to house all the wolverines that show up

the plane of quinton quires

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

So, has anybody come back and said "What the gently caress? I was dead. I was in heaven with my family, and I was happy. I was at peace. And you brought me back to this miserable existence."

In a pre-Krakoa comic, Nightcrawler is specifically in heaven but has to come back to save the X-Men, who are themselves in heaven, but only because they found a portal and are attempting to stop Azazel from invading. IIRC, there's an awkward moment near the end of that story where it's implied that if Kurt goes back, his soul can no longer return to heaven when he dies again... but then no writer ever followed up on that. Whoops!

Although honestly X-Men die and revive so often even in pre-Krakoa that I figure everybody has a real "eh, gently caress it" attitude on the existence of souls.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Interesting. So I feel that could leave the door open for a future story line.

Oh, hey, all those heroes you "resurrected"? Yeah, those are just empty husks. The souls are still in Heaven/Hell/Whatever, so you've been mass producing abominations that are an affront to god and decency.

Also, I guess that's really kind of only good for suicide missions and not say a reconnaissance mission. If you only have memory from before you died.

Yes, but because the protocols say that they need proof that the mutant is dead before resurrecting so there won't be two copies. Xavier can (does) do the backups in remote and has backed minds up just before death after they had intel. He has good Wi-Fi!

Spoilers for the main book:
The X-Men have been attacking the base orbiting the sun trying to take out Nimrod, but those are always failing and the mutants aren't getting any info of their failed attacks back to Krakoa.

Also, Wolverine and two others were sent into a place with accelerated time and lived centuries in there, but one of them had to break out with a) the information and b) the knowledge that the others have died so everyone could be resurrected. But it was a suicide mission, Xavier read the survivor's mind after breaking out, just before dying. He's the only one with any memories of what happened inside, including the romance he had with Wolverine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

Your poisoned resurrection protocols are making heaven too crowded.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

"Your poison island is making heaven too loving crowded."

edit: nuts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When did Roy Thomas start ghostwriting the Spider-Man newspaper strip do we know?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

When did Roy Thomas start ghostwriting the Spider-Man newspaper strip do we know?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/last-spider-man-newspaper-strip-writer-roy-thomas/

Roy Thomas posted:

So a deal was quickly struck, and I went to work, with my first strip (a Monday, of course) appearing on July 17, 2000.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

CzarChasm posted:

Also, from what I recall, Warpath 1 is still dead. I thought there was some line about everyone who was an X-man or other named affiliate who died gets the resurrection treatment. I know that's a character no one has thought about in probably 30 years, but you'd think this would be the opportunity to address this.

I think the one hitch in the system is that it hinges on backups from Cerebro. So if a mutant died before Cerebro came online, they're SOL.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WaffleZombie posted:

I think the one hitch in the system is that it hinges on backups from Cerebro. So if a mutant died before Cerebro came online, they're SOL.
Cerebro first appeared in X-Men #7.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, the other thing is he needs to meet Moira first, do we actually know when he first met Moira? Because she's just "an old friend" when Moira first appears.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

And Cerebro was used to find the All-New, All-Different X-Men in the story.

Skwirl posted:

I mean, the other thing is he needs to meet Moira first, do we actually know when he first met Moira? Because she's just "an old friend" when Moira first appears.

They met in college, married, and had Legion all before the X-Men formed. The recent retcon hasn't changed any of that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

They met in college, married, and had Legion all before the X-Men formed. The recent retcon hasn't changed any of that.

You are thinking of ultimate, as she is not the mother of legion. She is of proteus, but they were involved in college and was his finance before she left him for a scot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

Moira is Proteus' mom. Legion's mom is Gabrielle Haller, an Israeli woman he was treating for psychic trauma.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Endless Mike posted:

Dammit, I was all proud of myself for being able to answer something in this thread, only to be reminded that I am, in fact, terribly misinformed.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I think Sinister giving himself some of John Proudstar's DNA has something to do with it. They need a DNA sample to grow a husk, and they contracted with Sinister to make their library. So maybe the jerk said, "Sorry, couldn't find any bits of John Proudstar big enough," and saved the sample for himself.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Moira is Proteus' mom. Legion's mom is Gabrielle Haller, an Israeli woman he was treating for psychic trauma.

Thanks! I got my all powerful mutants mixed up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I think Sinister giving himself some of John Proudstar's DNA has something to do with it. They need a DNA sample to grow a husk, and they contracted with Sinister to make their library. So maybe the jerk said, "Sorry, couldn't find any bits of John Proudstar big enough," and saved the sample for himself.

They just did a story about possibly using time travel to resurrect a different mutant, only to reveal they can't/ won't because she's not dead, she faked her death because Shaw was an incredibly abusive boyfriend. Could do that with Proudstar, impersonate Giant Size #1 Charles and say something like "and I need to give you this shot so you don't get a tropical disease from Krakoa"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
After Avengers Annual 10, what happened to the corporeal Carol Danvers? Her personality lived in Rogue until about 1990 or so, but there was also a Carol who read the Avengers the riot act.

Edit: did some digging. Body Carol is the one who became Binary and I guess is now Captain Marvel. Head-ghost Carol was separated from Rogue via the Siege Perilous and apparently killed by Magneto right away.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 28, 2021

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Speaking of the X-Men, first a related question.

I saw an issue where X-23 went on a very long mission (time dilation), died, and was then revived via Krakoa...but she still had her adamantium claws when she came out of the pod. So uh...oops? Or are the pods just THAT good?

I just went and double checked. The claws sure LOOK like metal. Just before that, though, the Maker seemed to be zapping her with something, so maybe he has an instant adamantium restoring ray. He's an alternate Reed Richards, I'd buy it.

Anyway, my actual question. Have any non-mutants ever tried to join the X-Men? I don't mean "Ended up with them due to other events", like how Carol Danvers was with them for a time because of Rogue-related events, I mean some non-mutant showed up and went "Hey I agree with your viewpoints, I want to help." Has there ever been any discussion in universe over the 'non mutant joins the team' possibility? Seems like an untapped story you could make an arc around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

First question: I remember a mutant with a prosthetic coming out of the pods with the prosthetic, so it's basically "whatever".

Second question: The recent Children of the Atom kinda tackles that. Didn't find it too great of a series, but maybe you can read it on Marvel Unlimited or check it out from the library.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Children_of_the_Atom_Vol_1_1

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of the X-Men, first a related question.

I saw an issue where X-23 went on a very long mission (time dilation), died, and was then revived via Krakoa...but she still had her adamantium claws when she came out of the pod. So uh...oops? Or are the pods just THAT good?

I just went and double checked. The claws sure LOOK like metal. Just before that, though, the Maker seemed to be zapping her with something, so maybe he has an instant adamantium restoring ray. He's an alternate Reed Richards, I'd buy it.

Anyway, my actual question. Have any non-mutants ever tried to join the X-Men? I don't mean "Ended up with them due to other events", like how Carol Danvers was with them for a time because of Rogue-related events, I mean some non-mutant showed up and went "Hey I agree with your viewpoints, I want to help." Has there ever been any discussion in universe over the 'non mutant joins the team' possibility? Seems like an untapped story you could make an arc around.

Q1: There's two things here: 1) The resurrection process includes a reality changer, so no reason they can't come out with metal. 2) Forge has a big ol' pool of adamantium for Wolverine.

Q2: No one I can think of specifically. Most non-mutant members have just joined by circumstance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hasn't Deadpool been on a few teams? At least in X-Force, which is X-Men adjacent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They asked Spider-Man to join once, but he was all "Yeah, I'm not a mutant and enough people hate me already."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In the very beginning they had Mimic join the team in issue 27 of the very first run and he specifically did not have any mutant powers. He also got booted off the team almost immediately for being a huge rear end in a top hat.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

Juggernaut isn't a mutant and he was on the main team in chuck austen's uncanny x-men run

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

They asked Spider-Man to join once, but he was all "Yeah, I'm not a mutant and enough people hate me already."

Plus his life is in the city, not Westchester. Though at one point, in Spider-Man and the X-Men, he did teach a class.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Deadpool and Juggernaut are basically X-Men adjacent, what with Marko being one the main X-Men enemies and having the direct connection of being stepbrothers with Xavier, and Deadpool's healing factor in the comics coming from an artificial replication of Wolverine's healing factor. Mimic falls under 'the series has just started' and he was never really a member. So yeah, I feel that's an untapped story; have someone like the Vision join for a few arcs and explore the possibilities.

Here's another question: has it ever really been examined where the Joker gets his money? Yes, you can always handwave 'He steals it', and that works for the likes of Two-Face or Scarecrow, but there's two aspects of Joker that come to mind. One is that writers tend to give him a LOT of money (one story said he had a crack team of lawyers on standby) and the other, which is tied to it, is that another writer wrote how the Joker is so crazy that he has no concept of the values of money, and it explained why he can still get henchmen when he is well known for killing his henchmen for a variety of reasons or just because he felt like it: due to his lack of identifying value, you're gambling that he'll throw half a million dollars your way instead of spraying you with Joker Venom out of his new ring weapon. But if he's so utterly mad that he can't quantify the exact value of money, well...it seems weird that he'd have so much of it.

There's another story idea, if you could think of a good, comicbooky reason: where does the Joker get his funds?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I took a guess that with all the lovely crypto clones out there that Clown Coin was a thing and sure enough, it exists.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it still canon that Khomeini briefly made the Joker an Iranian ambassador?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is it still canon that Khomeini briefly made the Joker an Iranian ambassador?

While it's never been made explicitly non-canon in the many soft reboots since, I'd bet it's one of those "yes it's canon but if we never talk about it again we'll be okay" deals

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Here's another question: has it ever really been examined where the Joker gets his money? Yes, you can always handwave 'He steals it', and that works for the likes of Two-Face or Scarecrow, but there's two aspects of Joker that come to mind. One is that writers tend to give him a LOT of money (one story said he had a crack team of lawyers on standby) and the other, which is tied to it, is that another writer wrote how the Joker is so crazy that he has no concept of the values of money, and it explained why he can still get henchmen when he is well known for killing his henchmen for a variety of reasons or just because he felt like it: due to his lack of identifying value, you're gambling that he'll throw half a million dollars your way instead of spraying you with Joker Venom out of his new ring weapon. But if he's so utterly mad that he can't quantify the exact value of money, well...it seems weird that he'd have so much of it.

There's another story idea, if you could think of a good, comicbooky reason: where does the Joker get his funds?

The lawyer thing could go one of a few ways. 1) Joker is crazy, but he's not stupid. If he threatens or kills a lawyer, that would be severely damaging to his ability to stay off of death row (because no one would take his case). But he probably likes the air around him to be that he would kill a lawyer who screwed up his case. Therefore any lawyer that took him on would work super hard to make sure that the case went well. 2) If you are the lawyer who works his case and you "win" by keeping him in Arkham, well, all those other crazies who might have actual money would come to you next, so not getting paid by Joker still works in your favor. Put 1 and 2 together and you end up with sleazy, high profile lawyers who get funded by everyone wanting "the lawyer who kept the joker out of the electric chair", who can do the Joker cases pro-bono, which keeps up the scary appearances.

I think it's less that he doesn't or can't understand the value of money, it's that he doesn't care. Money is useful and valuable if you care about exchanging it for goods and services. But if you would just as easily rob/murder to get what you wanted, why bother with money?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Q1: There's two things here: 1) The resurrection process includes a reality changer, so no reason they can't come out with metal. 2) Forge has a big ol' pool of adamantium for Wolverine.

Q2: No one I can think of specifically. Most non-mutant members have just joined by circumstance.

So why does Cyclops still have the brain damage that prevents him from controlling his abilities when he's resurrected? I'm beginning to suspect that they haven't really thought through the implications of their story concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't know that he does. There was a whole thing in the Whedon run about how his inability to control the beams was psychological, not physiological, kind of like the longstanding retcon about the Thing. Granted most writers post-Whedon ignored that for very understandable reasons, but there is precedent.