Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

My first thought was really bad daylight savings time handling, but then I looked at the date and :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In Bitcoin, all things are possible.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nottherealaborn posted:

Lmao did the price increase, go back in time, then drop?

This happens with badly written price tracking software. Points get their x and y locations from price and time stamp but are ordered based on when the information is received. The chart component just draws a line connecting the points and doesn't care if it makes sense

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

If you follow it long enough, does it spell out Jeremy Bearemy?

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

ikanreed posted:

This happens with badly written price tracking software. Points get their x and y locations from price and time stamp but are ordered based on when the information is received. The chart component just draws a line connecting the points and doesn't care if it makes sense

But there's still two data points for one date, looks like.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah so? Badly written software knows not of ideas like "uniqueness constraints"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why would it not just directly map x to y and then draw a line from small x to bigger x

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

why would it not just directly map x to y and then draw a line from small x to bigger x

because then it would be a less-badly-written piece of software

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Space Kablooey posted:

because then it would be a less-badly-written piece of software

:bitcoin:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Number go up, down, and all around

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still giggling about that loop

H꩜DL

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Empoyment stats by sector in intrawar Warsaw IIRC

As far as I can tell the categories are types of employment... and Jew

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look what's more like bit coiners have invented time travel, or badly written software?

So anyway expecting the universe to stop existing in some sort of incredibly stupid time paradox any second now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

IYKK posted:

But there's still two data points for one date, looks like.

I think that's sorta reasonable for prices.
The price of a commodity is kind of an abstract concept, representing information on moments of consensus between a buyer and seller.

It's plausible that some protocols might process orders in batches where multiple transactions occur simultaneously at different prices.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

dr_rat posted:

Look what's more like bit coiners have invented time travel, or badly written software?

So anyway expecting the universe to stop existing in some sort of incredibly stupid time paradox any second now.

idk an ms paint edit seems more likely

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

It's just like 1st edition D&D where you could be a fighter, wizard, priest, ranger, paladin, or Elf

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

So is that like, Jewish people by percentage of that type of employment then?

Also that font is amazing I need it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Serperoth posted:

I think it's all hand written. Incredible.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Serperoth posted:

Tree Bucket posted:

It's a standard engineering font. It's meant to be used on engineering graph paper, which probably how the original was created, and then photocopied with the grid removed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tree Bucket posted:

t's probably written through a stencil. I used to have a bunch of those as a kid, from granddad who was an engineer, though not with this particular typeset.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

t's probably written through a stencil. I used to have a bunch of those as a kid, from granddad who was an engineer, though not with this particular typeset.

It was probably done with this thing on a draft table

I took some engineering back at Uni, and first year we had to draw everything by hand. If you wanted your text to look nice on graph paper for extra credit, you would first do all horizontal lines, then all verticals, and then all angled lines by hand. Experienced engineers can obviously freehand most of it fairly consistently.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
So uh, they're plotting percentages of Jewish people because the intrawar warsaw diversity and inclusion team was concerned they might be discriminated against in employment and want to prevent that, right?

...right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Angepain posted:

So uh, they're plotting percentages of Jewish people because the intrawar warsaw diversity and inclusion team was concerned they might be discriminated against in employment and want to prevent that, right?

...right?

Well according to PiS, there was no antisemitism in interwar Poland, so that must be the explanation!

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Yeah so? Badly written software knows not of ideas like "uniqueness constraints"

So there are (at least) two problems. The software connects the points in wrong order, and there is a problem in the data, with two points for one date.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GFrancis420/status/1465047883879747600

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hey, it says right there that math is almost 0 iq

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Why is religion so hot. Also https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1465327158738317315

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is clearly an instance of Simpson’s paradox.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

This is clearly an instance of Simpson’s paradox.

What does that have to do with beer both causing and solving problems :confused:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

What does that have to do with beer both causing and solving problems :confused:

Use beer until you find professors smart / hot, as needed

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Get your professors drunk until they give you a hot grade

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Feel like there's cheaper ways to buy a grade these days than trying to give a professor enough alcohol that they actually get drunk.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Feel like there's cheaper ways to buy a grade these days than trying to give a professor enough alcohol that they actually get drunk.

Ugly cry in their office is probably the best bet.

EDIT: I wonder if that graph runs the other way, if I can make myself smarter by getting gross-er.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Have to say, the IQ ranking for education is about right. Had to take some grad courses in an education program and, drat - they had us doing work that could have been done by moderately advanced high schoolers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

Have to say, the IQ ranking for education is about right. Had to take some grad courses in an education program and, drat - they had us doing work that could have been done by moderately advanced high schoolers.

It's depressingly accurate

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's my fervent belief that this is a big part of why people hate subjects that have careers with good compensation like math. Anyone with skill will go into a field that pays far better for less bullshit, so all that are left are the unskilled and the few true believers in education. So then the training has to be something they can pass, and when a student has a question they have nothing to rely on than the algorithm and "that's just how it's done," killing any interest in the subject except in those that are self-directed or those lucky enough to get someone passionate and talented in the subject.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Part of the problem for education is nobody listens to or implements its findings so why would you hang around?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My new favorite map/graph

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

no ringroad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Uhh, the numbers are like 61K off for the evening commute. Does that mean that that many people stay later, or in a normal day does the Philadelphia central business district consume some 61,000 unlucky souls?