Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

LongDarkNight posted:

Borrowed a "universal" controller but the game didn't recognize it so doing KB/M. Made a pyromancer per instructions. Took me 3 tries and 8 fire bombs to get the Asylum Demon. Made it to Firelink and explored around a bit, found so treasure chests, fell off the cliff and got killed by skeletons 3 times before I had to go do family stuff. Enjoying it so far but I expected the remaster to have better graphics.

Getting murdered by the skeletons is a (one of many) rite of passage.

I'd suggest looking into getting the controller working, I can't imagine playing with kb+m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Yeah, I rage quit DS1 three times before finally finishing it, and the skeletons were definitely responsible for one of those.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Naked tends to lower your equipload and allow you the fastest/furthest rolls, which is very handy in this kind of game.

Also, there are two types of defenses. There are flat defenses, which are in all the games, and there are percentage absorptions, which are only present in DS3 (and Elden Ring). Flat defenses basically suck, there's no reason to use them unless you can really stack them up, like say with heavy armor. Percentage absorption on the other hand give you effective HP. Each item basically multipliers your HP discretely, making it pretty easy to calculate.

Armor isn't super important in PVE (you want to not get hit). But in PVP, you will get hit, Bloodborne thread notwithstanding, which is why getting 40+ vigor and wearing something, anything in your slots is so important. And there is a noticable difference in your survivability while wearing no/light armor versus medium/heavy armor.

Which is why the tryhard scene's armor always look so ugly, they're either wearing the same handful of heavy armors or hardswapping them out to rags in order to fastroll.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Finally playing the Demons Souls remake - gently caress it is beautiful and plays great. Doing this and DS1 back to back was a great idea.

Have no idea if my usual Faith/Str builds I always do for my first Souls playthrough even works here - let's find out..

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DourCricket posted:

Finally playing the Demons Souls remake - gently caress it is beautiful and plays great. Doing this and DS1 back to back was a great idea.

Have no idea if my usual Faith/Str builds I always do for my first Souls playthrough even works here - let's find out..

Faith strength is mad good

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Every time I go back and play Demon's I wind up using Blessed Mirdan Hammer again because that specific build is a relic that didn't exist later.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really wish From would change it so only your currently equipped weapons counted against your weight. I rarely keep a bow in my weapon slots because that’s another few units of weight gone just for the convenience of quick swapping

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

multijoe posted:

Does it actually matter for soul memory if you get your bloodstain back in DS2? I thought the way it worked as soon as you died the damage was done because picking them back up will count separately against you from their original acquisition, so whether you pick up your bloodstain or farm new souls its all going in the SM anyways

Bloodstain recovery doesn’t count against SM

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

ymgve posted:

I really wish From would change it so only your currently equipped weapons counted against your weight. I rarely keep a bow in my weapon slots because that’s another few units of weight gone just for the convenience of quick swapping

Strength: 40
Dex: 40
Vitality: 5

Someone please help me budget this, I can't carry anything.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

ymgve posted:

I mean, the point is to prevent quick swapping in combat (unless you invest in the equipment load stat). It definitely affects the way fights are balanced, especially in DS2. I'm pretty happy they did away with the overall weight limit from Demon's Souls though.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

ymgve posted:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Souls games equipment is about dressing up and looking cool not stuff like 'dealing more damage' or 'preventing enemy damage'

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Mailer posted:

Every time I go back and play Demon's I wind up using Blessed Mirdan Hammer again because that specific build is a relic that didn't exist later.

Yeah it’s great. Playing the remake I realized you could also just farm the miners in 2-1 to get a early Mirdan Hammer drop. (Once you unlock the elevator shortcut by the start you can just kill the ones in the mine shaft at the top of the elevator and then suicide if you don’t get it).

Blessed Mirdan Hammer, upgraded adjudicator shield, and a regenerator ring is a fun combo for PVP. Or would be if wasn’t for the fact that PVP has long degenerated into 56K players trying to get lag teleporting backstabs.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

DS2 soul memory was pretty stupid. But if you could bee-line for good gear without dying and make it to one of the pvp faction zones then you would generally be higher level and better geared than the poor schlubs who were still trying to figure out the game. The first month or so in Bellkeepers all you really needed was an 100% phy def shield and a weapon with any kind of elemental damage.

So, while DS2 may be the lesser of the Dark Souls games, I'll always remember it as the one that I maxed out two pvp factions on.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bellkeeper pvp was extremely fun, and I miss it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lexorin posted:

DS2 soul memory was pretty stupid. But if you could bee-line for good gear without dying and make it to one of the pvp faction zones then you would generally be higher level and better geared than the poor schlubs who were still trying to figure out the game. The first month or so in Bellkeepers all you really needed was an 100% phy def shield and a weapon with any kind of elemental damage.

So, while DS2 may be the lesser of the Dark Souls games, I'll always remember it as the one that I maxed out two pvp factions on.

The ratbro covenant ruled and I wish/hope another game has a goofy PVP trap hell zone like it. Just make the inevitable forest-hunter-alike in Elden Ring function like that and you can have the option to kit out your hazard swamp/forest and then other people can help invade in it or be haplessly dragged into it and hunted down.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I respect DS2 for feeling like a big adventure and trying all sorts of wild stuff. I think there were big ambitions for that game, bigger than the Soulses that came after it, and it not coming together made from scale back the things they were willing to try in their series.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Miss Mowcher posted:

Souls games equipment is about dressing up and looking cool not stuff like 'dealing more damage' or 'preventing enemy damage'

So...naked with a helmet and shield it is then?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
reinstalled DS3 because I am hype for this game and wanted to get in the mood! doing a sort of pyro/sorc hybrid who still does a lot of melee and I am having the best of times, just a fantastic game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Martout posted:

reinstalled DS3 because I am hype for this game and wanted to get in the mood! doing a sort of pyro/sorc hybrid who still does a lot of melee and I am having the best of times, just a fantastic game

pyromancy in DS3 is great and dovetails so nicely with fastrolling a 1H greatsword

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

pyromancy in DS3 is great and dovetails so nicely with fastrolling a 1H greatsword

oh yes, not decided yet if I'm going more casty and moonlight GS or more melee-y and something else, might go casty because I was straight melee last time through, but weaving aoe fire stuff and buffs with hard hitting melee and fast rolls makes me feel like a boss

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

The ratbro covenant ruled and I wish/hope another game has a goofy PVP trap hell zone like it. Just make the inevitable forest-hunter-alike in Elden Ring function like that and you can have the option to kit out your hazard swamp/forest and then other people can help invade in it or be haplessly dragged into it and hunted down.

traps are really fun but we need traps that combo into each other seamlessly. recreate tecmo's deception in elden ring so i can watch a red invader stumble onto a springboard and be catapulted into ceiling spikes

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Playing Demons Souls - I didn't get too far back in the day, just got to Upper Latria 3-2 and uhhhhhhhhh

Who put Bloodborne into my Demons Souls?!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Latria is Bloodborne Zero. Especially obvious in the outdoor “street” section of Prison of Hope

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DourCricket posted:

Who put Bloodborne into my Demons Souls?!

Japan Studio!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skasion posted:

Latria is Bloodborne Zero. Especially obvious in the outdoor “street” section of Prison of Hope

Also the illithids.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

acyclicity posted:

I mean, the point is to prevent quick swapping in combat (unless you invest in the equipment load stat). It definitely affects the way fights are balanced, especially in DS2. I'm pretty happy they did away with the overall weight limit from Demon's Souls though.

yeah but it doesn't do that at all lol, all it does is give a significant advantage to people who learn to do efficient swapping from inventory

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

playing the video game appeals to me, and i yearn for quick release :sweatdrop:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah but it doesn't do that at all lol, all it does is give a significant advantage to people who learn to do efficient swapping from inventory

And if that were in the mainline Souls games then you could effectively at the press of a single button change the lengths and speeds of your rolls. As of now there is a real mechanical skill ceiling that a player has to work towards in order to customize your loadout on-the-fly.

Dark Souls can get away with that because it's meant to give you various mechanics to defend yourself, from roll iframes to shields to armor. Even if rolls are by far the best of them, you trade them off against each other by deciding what your equipment will be. You could only get away with completely removing the equipload mechanic if you remove options to defend yourself. So Bloodborne has no shields, Sekiro has no armor, and neither have any equipload system. You can keep 2 right-hand weapons and 2 left-hand weapons at a time in Bloodborne, and in fact it's optimal to do so, but it would be weird if swapping between them changes your rolls and quicksteps.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you can do that, then sure? There's a bunch of stuff in Soulsborne that becomes easier as you get better and/or learn more about the game, to the point that certain mechanics are rendered useless. Like, there are people who can no-hit all these games back-to-back, but that doesn't mean there's no point in healing items. There are plenty of less extreme examples as well (equipment durability, torches, poison, etc.).

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

acyclicity posted:

If you can do that, then sure? There's a bunch of stuff in Soulsborne that becomes easier as you get better and/or learn more about the game, to the point that certain mechanics are rendered useless. Like, there are people who can no-hit all these games back-to-back, but that doesn't mean there's no point in healing items. There are plenty of less extreme examples as well (equipment durability, torches, poison, etc.).

Yeah I don't know how much of a "significant advantage" it gives. I guess you could swap to a big 2 hander if you guard break someone? I feel like I've done enough invading in DS3 to say it doesn't come up often. At most I'd swap in a regen ring while hiding or to a greatbow while being a dickhead after Pontiff.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I finished DS3 at launch and haven't touched it since, but Elden Ring has me jonesing for some Dark Souls. I haven't played the DS3 DLCs. Do the DLCs require me to remember anything about the main game or can I just jump in on my old character and start working on them?

Posting here instead of the DS3 thread because a quick glance at that seems like it is full of DLC spoilers.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 22, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

What meaningfully new things are y'all expecting to do in this game that you haven't already done in the first 5 souls games

Go exploring on a horse, fight a big guy on a horse, fight a new super guy who kills me for two hours. It all looks very exciting!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

What meaningfully new things are y'all expecting to do in this game that you haven't already done in the first 5 souls games

If FromSoft just produced Dark Souls games but in a different setting each time until the end of my days I'd be a happy little gamer.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's also a horse this time, and the horse can double jump, and you can gently caress the horse

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Lastdancer posted:

Parrying.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Lastdancer posted:

I think Kyle Bosman hit it for me -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTyjGz29yXA&t=83s
You only need to watch like 2~3 minutes after the marked spot for my point

There's always a sense of wonder in each of the Souls games, whimsy sometimes, horror in others, that I just love. I had a post earlier in the thread of having several "What the gently caress IS THAT!" moments in each game (correlating directly to my affection for each, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne had the most) and after only watching half of the Elden Ring presentation I feel very confident I'm going to get my time and money's worth here again. Maybe it won't be Bloodborne great but that's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008