Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh yeah, I'm totally on board with heavy handed symbolism. It's like Parasite, Unsubtle =/= Clumsy

Just chilling with my bro in a window shaped like a skull after we both accidentally committed murder.

I know authors that use subtext and they are cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hellioning posted:

Honestly I'm really excited for season 2 to see how Vi and Jinx go from how they are at the end of season 1 to how they are in, say, Legends of Runeterra, where it's clear Vi cannot stand Jinx at all.

Ah, someone hasn't played Vi's Adventure path! (Which I don't blame you for, she's not got a good deck even by the standards of the rest.)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Ah, someone hasn't played Vi's Adventure path! (Which I don't blame you for, she's not got a good deck even by the standards of the rest.)

I just played the first Jinx one and it really uh... did not line up at all with what I expected after watching Arcane. What the gently caress was that lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Shortest Path posted:

I just played the first Jinx one and it really uh... did not line up at all with what I expected after watching Arcane. What the gently caress was that lol

Yeah, Runeterra is definitely in keeping with the old characterizations, so Jinx is basically Harley Quinn.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's really no getting around the fact that the whole Cait/Vi vs. Jinx dynamic was originally written with far more of a Tom and Jerry mindset, and it's hard to completely change the tone of the characters after so many years of being out. Miss Fortune's a good example of this: they'd originally planned to change her goofy in-game voicelines to something far more serious and even-keeled - in line with her character development from "gag pirate character" to "bloodthirsty revenge fable" - when they had a VA in for Gun Goddess, and every Miss Fortune player they trialed it for hated it.

I'm honestly okay more with them establishing some kind of separate canon for their more serious works to serve as a more "realistic" take on Runeterra if that's the direction they wanna go. It frees up the writers to tell genuinely interesting stories and provide unique twists on the characters, and it doesn't require them to adhere rigidly to slapdash backstories that they have to contort the writing to fit into. There's no way to get from Arcane Jinx to LoR Jinx that doesn't completely desiccate the former as a character, so making it clear they aren't the same character is probably the best way to go forwards with it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Squidster posted:

Sevika had drat well better be the new kingpin of Zaun.

That's too optimistic--Sevika might actually improve things in Zaun, and that's not the way Zaun works. Things were worse under Silco than they were under Vander, and they're about to get even worse under the negligent rule of Empress Jinx.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Madurai posted:

That's too optimistic--Sevika might actually improve things in Zaun, and that's not the way Zaun works. Things were worse under Silco than they were under Vander, and they're about to get even worse under the negligent rule of Empress Jinx.

In the non-Arcane canon, at least, contemporary Zaun is supposed to be a functional place with its own rich culture, not JUST an unending slum of misery.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jetrauben posted:

In the non-Arcane canon, at least, contemporary Zaun is supposed to be a functional place with its own rich culture, not JUST an unending slum of misery.

I mean there's some partying going on there, so it's not just a misery slum.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

There's really no getting around the fact that the whole Cait/Vi vs. Jinx dynamic was originally written with far more of a Tom and Jerry mindset, and it's hard to completely change the tone of the characters after so many years of being out. Miss Fortune's a good example of this: they'd originally planned to change her goofy in-game voicelines to something far more serious and even-keeled - in line with her character development from "gag pirate character" to "bloodthirsty revenge fable" - when they had a VA in for Gun Goddess, and every Miss Fortune player they trialed it for hated it.

Somebody brought up some of the earliest fiction for Miss Fortune and it's hysterical and not in an intended way.

https://twitter.com/RequineGG/status/1463703031497867264

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The league thread memed that line to hell and back when they first published that MF lore page, it was a good time.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean there's some partying going on there, so it's not just a misery slum.

Yeah, there's a few scenes in episode three that show off the thriving cultural accomplishments of Silco's Zaun. And later on we see that the firelights faction also has their little community paradise. It's still poor and polluted and dangerous, but it's not a totally horrible place to live.

For next season, I'm really curious to see how they'll pull off Viktor benevolently turning people into robots without it coming across incredibly weird. In his existing lore, he starts augmenting people in order to improve working conditions for laborers, and the rest follows from there. After all, he's from the undercity, so he just gets the needs of the working class (Jayce doesn't get it and that's why they split). But in Arcane, Viktor is intelligentsia through and through, there's absolutely no hint of him ever interacting with, or even thinking about, anyone outside the academy. Even in the little Hexgem demonstration scene, he shows off the bougie option while Jayce presents the manual labor gloves. His transhumanism is completely based on upper class concerns such as "building a legacy" and "not dying of tuberculosis". So I can't really see him going to Zaun and secretly upgrading people in need.

Then there's the additional problem that he's already concluded his hexcore is not worth the risk. Maybe he'll have to come up with some way to redeem it to save people after the explosion. I guess theoretically he could just build a new one, but the show so far presents it as a unique item.

I'm sure they'll turn it around somehow, after all they made the Harley Quinn character compelling and meaningful. But after reading up on the lore I'm pretty invested in the Viktor story and would hate to lose the class war angle.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Just had a laugh out loud moment looking to see if "violet" (the flower) had any mythological/historical connotations I might've missed, and I guess it just happens to also be a symbol of love between women. These loving writers are having way too much fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vermain posted:

Just had a laugh out loud moment looking to see if "violet" (the flower) had any mythological/historical connotations I might've missed, and I guess it just happens to also be a symbol of love between women. These loving writers are having way too much fun.

Thank you for making me aware of this, that is wonderful to know.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://twitter.com/evan_monteiro/status/1464835034485981186
https://twitter.com/evan_monteiro/status/1464837234125795328
https://twitter.com/evan_monteiro/status/1464837382063091716

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm not a big Imagine Dragons fan by any means, but the Enemy video is excellent. Same animation and it's a nice little glimpse into the kids' lives before... well, I'm gesturing vaguely at everything in the series. They do the important things, scamming food, watching Vi box and flipping off the cops.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This guy also has this interesting tidbit:

https://twitter.com/evan_monteiro/status/1465070586565070852

For what it's worth, the Council Archives thing in the LoL client has Vi going to Stillwater at 17 with the final entry listing her as "early 20's".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

1stGear posted:

This guy also has this interesting tidbit:

https://twitter.com/evan_monteiro/status/1465070586565070852

For what it's worth, the Council Archives thing in the LoL client has Vi going to Stillwater at 17 with the final entry listing her as "early 20's".

One of the writers (I think Amanda?) mentioned that they had a rough internal age range of about 15-16 for Vi pre-timeskip, with Cait being within a year of that number, and that the timeskip encompasses about 6-7 years. His Tweet gels with the fact that there's some oddities, like the gigantic Hexgate being built at seemingly breakneck speeds, and the Kirammans both going grey in frankly record time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vermain posted:

One of the writers (I think Amanda?) mentioned that they had a rough internal age range of about 15-16 for Vi pre-timeskip, with Cait being within a year of that number, and that the timeskip encompasses about 6-7 years. His Tweet gels with the fact that there's some oddities, like the gigantic Hexgate being built at seemingly breakneck speeds, and the Kirammans both going grey in frankly record time.

My grandfather started going grey at 16 and was proper pure white by 20 something. I myself have already started doing so and I’m in my late 20s too. Sometimes people just go grey young.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

My grandfather started going grey at 16 and was proper pure white by 20 something. I myself have already started doing so and I’m in my late 20s too. Sometimes people just go grey young.

Sometimes people's ancestors were cursed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Personal_Nirvana posted:

How good is the PvE portion of the LoL card game? I want something that isn't the moba

The progression probably need a re-design, but the actual game bits are very fun, if you like roguelike deck builders.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

What is this even supposed to mean?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Boobs

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

League of Legends "lore" if you could call it that used to be fanfic level writing of a weird newspaper type thing about the "league of legends" and champions being summoned before the panel of summoners or whatever to be judged worthy or not of being in the game.

https://lol.fandom.com/wiki/Miss_Fortune/Old_Lore

quote:

Candidate: Miss Fortune
Date: 31 August, 20 CLE
OBSERVATION
Miss Fortune spills into the Great Hallway with the same tenacity that she spills into her silk blouse, both taxed to contain her. She is cramped inside any structure not bobbing across the salt ocean. Her eyes pan across the recessed ceiling's filigree with disdain, the toil of Valoran's finest artisans a pitiful substitute for the night sky's celestial collage. The disapproving shake of her head would be imperceptible, if not exaggerated by the wag of her ornamented tricorne, the defining accessory of a captain. An avalanche of cherry locks tumbles from the hat, engulfing her shoulders in scarlet waves. Her every feature seduces attention, a weapon as – or perhaps more – potent than the enormous gilded muskets clinging to her hips.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't they add Anthony Burch to their lore team

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
i have spent all day spilling things in order to figure out how one does so with tenacity madness is nigh send help

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Asema posted:

He wrote a comic jinx starred in to help retcon ziggs' lore a few years ago, and for some reason he did this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Asema posted:

He was there less than a year I think and produced some of the most hated content in the history of the Universe site.

Monicro posted:

He wrote a comic jinx starred in to help retcon ziggs' lore a few years ago, and for some reason he did this

As for example. It's baffling that anyone looked at the writer of Borderlands 2 and who a few years prior was selling a shirt saying "Would You Kindry" and thought yes this person is capable of quality.

E: Oh god that shirt was 13 years ago we're all dying slowly.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 29, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ah. Maybe it's because I'm a non-anglophone, but I've never heard of a person spilling into something, let alone with tenacity, so I didn't make that connection.

That full description a couple posts up makes it a bit more obvious that someone was horny for boobs, hips and bobbing. (And then another couple of folks signed off on it)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now Miss Fortune is the main character of the Ruined King rpg.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Wonder how many zoomers learned about Sting because of this

Also how many of their moms wandered in during the last scene going "is that Sting?"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Ah. Maybe it's because I'm a non-anglophone, but I've never heard of a person spilling into something, let alone with tenacity, so I didn't make that connection.

That full description a couple posts up makes it a bit more obvious that someone was horny for boobs, hips and bobbing. (And then another couple of folks signed off on it)

That's part of why it's so amazingly terrible. You don't spill into a dress, you spill out of it (like your tits are overflowing).

You could maybe spill into a room, like youre making a clumsy but dramatic entrance.

They came up with that joke and then stretched the similie as far as they could to try and make it work.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

stretched the similie as far as they could to try and make it work.

Much like her blouse, heyooo

Caros
May 14, 2008

pidan posted:

Much like her blouse, heyooo

Caros fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 29, 2021

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

njsykora posted:

As for example. It's baffling that anyone looked at the writer of Borderlands 2 and who a few years prior was selling a shirt saying "Would You Kindry" and thought yes this person is capable of quality.

Anthony rules he created Scam Likely the best character in fiction

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Another great little naming thing: Vi's weapons being the Atlas Gauntlets are fittingly apt for a woman consistently trying to shoulder the entire weight of the world on her own.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anyway, I found the people who are still really hoping that hextech are the souls of Skarner's people so I got that going for me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fanart remains very good.
https://twitter.com/jsnrksapphic/status/1465297511153762318
https://twitter.com/NCJ0810/status/1464930980737974273

Also the show got the nod.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1465105613755535361

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now that's some high praise!

And there wasn't even a mostly naked lady who breathes through her skin in the show.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now that's some high praise!

And there wasn't even a mostly naked lady who breathes through her skin in the show.

hwehll ackshually

You don't know she doesn't breathe through her skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And you will be ashamed.