Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008
Maybe I should have specified Nioh 2 but I watched some gameplay and it does look quite challenging unless the available items/specs go really far.

For reference I've been meandering through Cyberpunk 2077 on the easy setting and enjoying the story and environment, despite it sometimes becoming laggy on base PS4, and not being fully fleshed out. On that setting the "combat" is breezy (I appreciate how the TTK for opponents remains decent, but your character can simply withstand most everything so combat is never a sweat). I haven't played GTA since IV, but it feels like GTA to me but in the future 🙃, with far more customization / depth of mechanics available in terms of how to approach anything.

Anyways, I think I'm going to end up going with Ghost of Tsushima next out of the available options it sounds the most appealing to me - gonna pretend my avatar is a progenitor of Hiten Mitsurugi-ryū, lol.

RareAcumen posted:

This is why games need a damage slider of if they can't invest the time to do difficulty modes.
this 💯

Sealcub fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t see how anyone could think Nioh is easier than Sekiro.

Sekiro entire combat system is basically just two buttons, attack and block. Nioh’s combat has systems upon systems upon systems and all of it is just as obtuse as the most arcane Dark Souls builds, and Nioh’s enemies and bosses are an order of magnitude more punishing

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bust Rodd posted:

Sekiro entire combat system is basically just two buttons, attack and block. Nioh’s combat has systems upon systems upon systems and all of it is just as obtuse as the most arcane Dark Souls builds, and Nioh’s enemies and bosses are an order of magnitude more punishing

Probably because getting a basic handle on those systems lets you clown most things, whereas Sekiros systems are simple enough but the game demands that you get really drat goods t them.

Plus if something is hard in Nioh you can just level up or improve your equipment.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m just coming from the perspective of someone whose beaten 5 FROM software games and every Devil May Cry/Bayonetta game and I think Nioh is head & shoulders above all of those games in terms of being so oppressive and unfun that it’s the only Souls game I’ve ever just stopped playing because I stopped having fun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arist posted:

other way around

It’s more accurate to say that samurai movies and westerns mutually influenced each other, especially following the post-War period.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't tried Nioh 2 yet but Nioh one had a complete flip in difficulty for me, early on everything is extremely lethal especially the optional boss challenge so that you needed perfect fight knowledge and reactions just to survive, but then halfway through you get so many options to completely neutralize most enemies with skills and items rather than learning how to fight them

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/AetiusRF/status/1464728307786825728?s=20

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sealcub posted:

So far I've tried Sekiro and Bloodborne, and while I thought their gameplay was fun, I simply could not git gud enough to not make the experience frustrating, to the degree I couldn't/wouldn't progress past certain points. Are there similarly fantasy/supernatural setting games (or any other environments) out there with very smooth/airtight mechanics that feature scalable difficulty?

Someone referred Nioh to me, but also added it's even more difficult than Sekiro, so I was going to have to rule that one out. I was considering Shadow of the Colossus, Ghost of Tsushima, and maybe Immortals Fenyx Rising, any potential recommendations would be welcome.

All three Ueda games are godlike and are direct influences on Miyazaki/Bloodsouls FROM titles. Ico was restored on PS3/PSNow, SOTC had a remake on PS4, and if you can track down a disc copy of The Last Guardian you can play it in 60fps on a PS5. Play them in order if you are able.

haveblue posted:

That makes perfect sense because samurai movies owe a lot to westerns

Arist posted:

other way around

samurai drama and western drama in film emerged as genres rather contemporaneously

exquisite tea posted:

It’s more accurate to say that samurai movies and westerns mutually influenced each other, especially following the post-War period.

this

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I bought 13 Sentinels on sale.

half a year later

I get it but I expect to be utterly lost by the time things really get going.

i did spoil myself that in the end everything a VR sim or something similar.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I bought 13 Sentinels on sale.

half a year later

I get it but I expect to be utterly lost by the time things really get going.

i did spoil myself that in the end everything a VR sim or something similar.

How're you handling everyone not wearing clothes short of ribbons and glasses to pilot the robots?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh poo poo are we gonna get another lecture?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

RareAcumen posted:

How're you handling everyone not wearing clothes short of ribbons and glasses to pilot the robots?

This was my only complaint about 13 Sentinels. why the gently caress are they wearing glasses. It makes no sense.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh poo poo are we gonna get another lecture?

The only moral perverted anime horseshit… is my own

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

Me one hour into Ghost of Tsushima : so this is just a Witcher 3 reskin...

Me 10 hours into Ghost of Tsushima : so this is just a Witcher 3 reskin!

You are giving Ghost of Tsushima way too much credit here. it's an assassins creed reskin with witcher vision. If it ripped off TW3 more maybe I would have actually cared about something going on in it at least.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I agree with you but I would recommend Sushi Ghost to literally absolutely everybody before I ever recommended rear end Creed to anyone ever, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The only moral perverted anime horseshit… is my own

anime...is good. even...bust rodd anime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I agree with you but I would recommend Sushi Ghost to literally absolutely everybody before I ever recommended rear end Creed to anyone ever, though.

Fair enough I probably would too. At least it looks nice and the combat doesn't stink.

Can't believe you think it looks better than red dead though imo RDR2 mops the floor with it visually, but to each his own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think sushi ghost looks that remarkable. It does look good at a glance, and can make for a nice screenshot. It's a pretty game but I found it very bland. There's just like nothing going on past that. Just a bunch of copy paste empty box shacks and very dramatic grass swooshing. One of the most boring video game worlds to explore I can think of tbh even if it all looked nice enough. The attention to detail in RDR2 is unmatched and even compared to HZD I don't think GOT holds up well at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RDR2 looks way better than HZD or Sushi to me, which is very impressive given it’s a multiplatform game that runs on the OG Xbox One

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you wanted to take up a fake second job as a video game screenshot photographer, you could probably spend months snapping shots all of the cool unique poo poo in RDR2. In GOT there is like, green grass, pink grass, blue grass, some sakura blossoms, maybe there is shack in the background or an empty castle...It's so repetitive.

I think HZD actually does some cool stuff though. Not on the level of Red Dead but it's still noteworthy amongst open world games when it comes to cool and varied environments that really make me want to explore them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HZD has really really cool lighting, especially at night time. Great stuff.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mods are asleep, post long DualShock 4

https://twitter.com/VG247/status/1465333250931494916?s=20

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh I am awake. and I want it!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Playstation Stretch.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll buy it day 1. Right now I'm using a DS4 with a phone clip but that looks great.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Morpheus posted:

Plus if something is hard in Nioh you can just level up or improve your equipment.

It’s this. To me, Nioh seemed harder than most of the souls games at time. But, then I decided to spend a little time farming drops and crafting and boom, I became a slaughter machine.

Can’t do that in Sekiro, get gud or delete the game.

Sealcub
Sep 11, 2008

Sammus posted:

It’s this. To me, Nioh seemed harder than most of the souls games at time. But, then I decided to spend a little time farming drops and crafting and boom, I became a slaughter machine.

Can’t do that in Sekiro, get gud or delete the game.

Approximately how much of a commitment is it to gear/craft farm in Nioh (2) above and beyond the main quest though? Like, how easy for someone who is really casual and just wants to gently caress some poo poo up for a session before going to bed?

I have tried HZD as well, but found I wasn't in love with the combat mechanics, and that it felt kind of repetitive, so I lost interest. Also it's slight but muh immersion was ruined bc I found the entire premise of the environment-context ridiculous =/

I really enjoyed TLOU2 even if it dragged at bits, and I understand the criticism of its story, because the actual combat and controls as far as a stealth shooter goes were so near-perfectly executed and there was enough variety to keep things interesting. Also I liked the characters and wanted to see what happens to 'em.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Sealcub posted:

Approximately how much of a commitment is it to gear/craft farm in Nioh (2) above and beyond the main quest though? Like, how easy for someone who is really casual and just wants to gently caress some poo poo up for a session before going to bed?

Once you understand the systems, it's actually really fast to make a viable build to your liking.

In your first NG run, you can definitely get by with just the random drops you get. Periodically replace your gear with higher level stuff that you like.

In NG+ and beyond, you can use all the Blacksmith features to very quickly make a strong set of stuff.
- Forging (make new gear at your level range)
- Soul matching (level up your existing gear by feeding it higher level stuff; eventually becomes untenably expensive so cannot be done indefinitely)
- Tempering (gamble/re-roll individual attributes on weapons and armor and even accessories)
- Remodeling (change the stat scaling of weapons)

You can make a full gear replacement set in just a few minutes using the above features to your liking, and you only need to do this every few levels or so as your character levels up and you progress.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

veni veni veni posted:

You are giving Ghost of Tsushima way too much credit here. it's an assassins creed reskin with witcher vision. If it ripped off TW3 more maybe I would have actually cared about something going on in it at least.

Riding horses through the countryside and seeing 3 hanged warriors who were also burned for some reason...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

what exactly is patentable here?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it’s long

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rinkles posted:

It's presumably a Kishi/Black Shark/ROG style mobile phone controller but in the PlayStation aesthetic so it's its own thing.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Baggot posted:

You can make a full gear replacement set in just a few minutes using the above features to your liking, and you only need to do this every few levels or so as your character levels up and you progress.

This guy Niohs.

It looks super complicated at first because of all the options, but once you understand what it all means and what you want, it’s easy to crank out the perfect gear for your play style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nioh is much easier than Sekiro. It's also a lot more gear reliant (and past a certain point expects you to farm a lot) but it gives you a ton more tools to play with, especially in Nioh 2. I like both games a lot but for different reasons but Nioh is a game I played when I liked to relax and Sekiro when I wanted to Fite Good.

Dr. Cool
Sep 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I found the Japanese patent application here.

It's hard to tell because my technical Japanese isn't great (and the machine translate isn't much clearer to me), but the "Problem to Be Solved" portion of the application says this about contemporary controllers:
pre:
"特許文献1に記載の操作装置では、情報処理装置に送信する操作信号がボタン毎に割り振られており、操作装置は、入力されたボタンに応じた操作信号を送信する。このため、操作信号は、予め設定された操作信号しか送信できないことから、汎用性が低いという問題がある。"

[In conventional controllers], the processor unit is sent signals that are mapped to individual buttons, and the controller sends a signal that corresponds to the pressed button. Because of this, the controller can only send a pre-determined signal, leading to the problem of a lack of versatility.

"本開示は、上記課題の少なくとも一部を解決することを目的としたものであり、汎用性が高い操作システム、情報処理システム、操作情報生成方法及び操作情報生成プログラムを提供することを目的の1つとする。"

This publication has at its goal to solve at least one of the above problems, and also seeks to provide a controller, processor unit, method of signal generation, as well as a system for generating signals.
To read a patent application and know what's being described would take a smarter person than me, but my impression is that putting your phone in this thing and then plugging it into your PS4/5 gives you some kind of more robust controller?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Cool posted:

It's hard to tell because my technical Japanese isn't great (and the machine translate isn't much clearer to me), but the "Problem to Be Solved" portion of the application says this about contemporary controllers:
pre:
"特許文献1に記載の操作装置では、情報処理装置に送信する操作信号がボタン毎に割り振られており、操作装置は、入力されたボタンに応じた操作信号を送信する。このため、操作信号は、予め設定された操作信号しか送信できないことから、汎用性が低いという問題がある。"

[In conventional controllers], the processor unit is sent signals that are mapped to individual buttons, and the controller sends a signal that corresponds to the pressed button. Because of this, the controller can only send a pre-determined signal, leading to the problem of a lack of versatility.

"本開示は、上記課題の少なくとも一部を解決することを目的としたものであり、汎用性が高い操作システム、情報処理システム、操作情報生成方法及び操作情報生成プログラムを提供することを目的の1つとする。"

This publication has at its goal to solve at least one of the above problems, and also seeks to provide a controller, processor unit, method of signal generation, as well as a system for generating signals.
To read a patent application and know what's being described would take a smarter person than me, but my impression is that putting your phone in this thing and then plugging it into your PS4/5 gives you some kind of more robust controller?

I can't say I really understand what they mean, but thanks for looking it up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Cool posted:

pre:

Interesting. Maybe they're thinking of doing one of those funky things where the phone screen is the touch pad but also a screen to go full hog wild on those theoretical controller designs people make on YouTube?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

univbee posted:

Interesting. Maybe they're thinking of doing one of those funky things where the phone screen is the touch pad but also a screen to go full hog wild on those theoretical controller designs people make on YouTube?

ive often thought "if only the dual shock 4 had even worse battery life"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

the wii u lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

the wii u lives

yeah its called the switch