Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Hey, you remember Vigo???

Please buy tickets!

A shameful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ImpAtom posted:

For the love of Christ literally all you need to do is making anything but Vigo or Gozer. Anything! Have them fight the Blowjob Ghost and Titanic Ghost if you're desperate to not actually create something new because at least it would be loving not Vigo or Gozer.

With the delays getting Afterlife out by the time they make the next one Finn Wolfhard should be old enough to fight the ghost of middle age.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm still thinking about what it'd be like to have the RGB Bogeyman in a movie. That moment where he sees Egon, and then says "I remember you..." is chilling.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They had the chance to do something just as personal with Kristen Wiig and just... didn't.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Make a holiday film remaking a Christmas Carol, but instead of anyone learning any lessons, the Ghostbusters bust the ghosts of Christmas past.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

roffels posted:

Make a holiday film remaking a Christmas Carol, but instead of anyone learning any lessons, the Ghostbusters bust the ghosts of Christmas past.

The real Ghostbusters already did it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Inkspot posted:

They had the chance to do something just as personal with Kristen Wiig and just... didn't.

she kills a guy in the 2016 movie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Holtzman sucked I don't know how anyone could like her. An embarrassing attempt at an Egon character.

The worst part of GB2016 is all the actresses can do good work and either the script or Feig failed them.

gregday posted:

It really bothers me that often the equipment in GB 2016 destroys the ghosts rather than contains them. Just another item on a list of things where I feel like the creators just fundamentally did not get Ghostbusters.

I don't get why they thought a big dumb action scene is what was needed. It's not like they went crazy when they captured the dragon from what I remember.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 29, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

It really bothers me that often the equipment in GB 2016 destroys the ghosts rather than contains them. Just another item on a list of things where I feel like the creators just fundamentally did not get Ghostbusters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holtzman is not a good character but Kate McKinnon is so charismatic and interesting that she bypasses the nonsense she was given and makes Holtzman something that isn’t super bland compared to Wiig and McCarthy.

Obviously Jones is the only good character in the film.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Maybe I read it in this thread, but at some point I read there’s two ways you can make a comedy: silly people in a serious world or serious people in a silly world. 2016 puts silly people in a silly world and it just doesn’t have any sense of stakes or anything to grip you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The only good part of ghostbusters 2016 was the weird michael hat scene.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gregday posted:

Maybe I read it in this thread, but at some point I read there’s two ways you can make a comedy: silly people in a serious world or serious people in a silly world. 2016 puts silly people in a silly world and it just doesn’t have any sense of stakes or anything to grip you.

And what's weird is that Feig has done "silly people in a serious world" a number of times before, with little to no problem.

But throw ghosts in there, and it's just 'laugh a minute' shenanigans and no one cares about anything.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The only good part of ghostbusters 2016 was the weird michael hat scene.

You see, it's funny because he named his cat (who he refers to as "my cat") Mike Hat, which sounds like he's saying "my cat". Hell, it's funny enough that I bet they can just keep the joke going for 5 or 6 minutes!

Edit: I want to make it clear that I think you're correct and that it is the best joke in the movie it just goes on way too long.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 29, 2021

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Chris Hensworth is painfully unfunny in that movie. The whole bit where he doesn’t know how to wear glasses felt legitimately insulting to my humanity, that’s how unfunny it was.

The difference between 2016 and Afterlife is they’re roughly as funny but 2016 is trying to make jokes and failing while Afterlife doesn’t try that much. Paul Rudd was pretty funny though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Groovelord Neato posted:

The worst part of GB2016 is all the actresses can do good work and either the script or Feig failed them.

I'd throw in it was in dire need of editing too. I have to admit I'm surprised there's been no fan edit made yet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think it was the RLM review where they wondered why not have Kristen Wiig, the award-winning screenplay writer, write the screenplay.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

8one6 posted:

You see, it's funny because he named his cat (who he refers to as "my cat") Mike Hat, which sounds like he's saying "my cat". Hell, it's funny enough that I bet they can just keep the joke going for 5 or 6 minutes!

Edit: I want to make it clear that I think you're correct and that it is the best joke in the movie it just goes on way too long.

Named his DOG michael hat.

I don't know, it feels like the only place the ad libbed improv style of comedy worked in the movie, because in universe they seemed annoyed and confused by it. Every other scene felt like people just randomly breaking into standup for no reason, that one scene felt like everyone was extremely annoyed at each other for not communicating normally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd throw in it was in dire need of editing too. I have to admit I'm surprised there's been no fan edit made yet.

It was majorly edited down before release. There was a big musical sequence that got cut from the film and relegated to the end credits, and presumably lots more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

As YouTuber Shaun points out in his good review that mostly talks about editing you'd end up with a movie that's 45 minutes long.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

It was majorly edited down before release. There was a big musical sequence that got cut from the film and relegated to the end credits, and presumably lots more.

:eek: It still needed more editing.

Groovelord Neato posted:

As YouTuber Shaun points out in his good review that mostly talks about editing you'd end up with a movie that's 45 minutes long.

I'll take 45 minutes that's solid and compelling compared to what I sat through that had me double checking the time since it felt like it was longer than it was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Re: GB 2016, it's just a totally different style of comedy so it threw the whole tone off and as a result it didn't feel like a Ghostbusters movie. 90% of the funny moments in the original come from the characters just being themselves, i.e. they are characters who are written so that they do funny things earnestly, they aren't telling jokes or trying to be funny. Pretty much only Venkman is allowed to sort of sarcastically wink at the camera, everything else is fairly straight-faced, even when it's hilarious.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The push and pull of this thread is remarkable.

Lots of "I liked Afterlife!" and generally accepting its retreading of Gozer/GB1 poo poo.
Reitman teases Vigo, dozens of anguished "nooo we want something new" posts.
Somebody mentions GB 2016, tons of "why did their equipment not do the same thing as the original Ghostbusters?" and "this character was a terrible Egon"

It's fun! Tide goes in, tide goes out- you can't explain that!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"This character is a terrible Egon" is a comment on them trying to ape the original and doing it poorly.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Of all the many well-deserved complaints about Ghostbusters 2016 the idea that the characters were trying to be retreads of the originals is completely foreign to me. Aside from extremely loose archetypes like "is the working class Ghostbuster and is also black" and "is a weirdo who loves esoteric science stuff and wears glasses" none of them are characterized the same as the originals even before all the ad-libbing. Like who would Peter or Ray be in this paradigm? McCarthy's character is much more of an actual scientist than Venkman and is nowhere near the slimy con-artist, and Wiig's is too self-conscious to be remotely like Ray (or really any of them, aside from maybe some Venkman scenes where he is trying to distance himself from the weirdness to appear more respectable)

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 29, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

McCarthy/Ray are chubby and geek out over ghost stuff. I think that’s literally it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

To see why 2016 utterly fails, just compare the intro to the original.

They're basically the same but 2016 loving sucks. It's way too long, it's entirely too whacky, too many jokes are stuffed in, FX everywhere, and it's not in the least bit scary and has zero atmosphere you are a poor intro, Mr Feig

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

gregday posted:

McCarthy/Ray are chubby and geek out over ghost stuff. I think that’s literally it.

Yeah, at best they started from a broad archetype for each 'buster like "okay we need an excitable one, a geeky one who handles the tech, an 'everyperson' who can voice the audience's confusion, etc" and built their new characters from that understanding, but outside of that none of them have much in common with their "counterparts" even in places where there is a clear counterpart

gregday
May 23, 2003

For that matter I’m a little disappointed in Afterlife for retreading the same character archetypes.

Phoebe: literally a Spengler
Trevor: venkman. kinda a douche, quips a lot, defining trait is liking a girl
Podcast: obviously Ray
Lucky: Black, working class

They didn’t need to do this for a good story but welp.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
2016 would have benefited from more focus. It has too many really charismatic and funny people to end up where it did. Its never really settles on being adlib goofy, scripted funny, serious, action and just kind of bounces around scene to scene. If it hadn't had the baggage of being The Long Awaited But All New Though Not Too New Ghostbusters they might have been able to play entirely to the strengths of everyone involved and likely ended up with a better movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I sat through Youtuber Sean's video on Ghostbusters '16 and yeah I agree with him on his editing critique. There is a good film buried in there, it just didn't get the editing to make it show.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I haven't seen that youtube edit video but didn't Plinkett do the same thing with one scene showing how they just never let a joke land because of the constant ad lib?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's a fairly decent fan edit by TM2YC, they used bits from the extended cut and delete scenes to reduce the meandering improv. It's better than the released version but still no where near the original. Would posting a link to the fanedit be considered :filez:?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

WonkyBob posted:

There's a fairly decent fan edit by TM2YC, they used bits from the extended cut and delete scenes to reduce the meandering improv. It's better than the released version but still no where near the original. Would posting a link to the fanedit be considered :filez:?

Fan edits should be fine as long as we all purchased the original.

Also PM the link

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Fan edits should be fine as long as we all purchased the original.

Also PM the link

I would be interested in this link.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think 2016 has issues and is nowhere as good as the original. That said I think taken on its own merits it stands better than 2 and Afterlife as a movie. I'd probably still watch 2 over it but 2 depends a whole lot on the love of the characters from the first film for it to work and I think it flops a lot harder without that. (Also I am freely willing to admit I have so much nostalgia for it from when I was a kid and controlling the Statue of Liberty with an NES controller was the coolest thing in the world that my opinion is probably biased towards it.)

That said I've been rewatching some of RGB and man that is a genuinely better take on Ghostbusters than anything besides the first movie. I have no idea if Extreme Ghostbusters is any good sadly but maybe I'll give it a shot and see which version of "Egon's Next Gen" I like more. I suspect Afterlife will come out ahead but we'll see.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WonkyBob posted:

Can you pm me the link? I'd love to see this.

8one6
May 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That said I've been rewatching some of RGB and man that is a genuinely better take on Ghostbusters than anything besides the first movie. I have no idea if Extreme Ghostbusters is any good sadly but maybe I'll give it a shot and see which version of "Egon's Next Gen" I like more. I suspect Afterlife will come out ahead but we'll see.

Extreme Ghostbusters is alright. It's way better than you'd expect from the title and does a great job of both being it's own thing and being a sequel to the Real Ghostbusters.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I enjoyed 2016 to a point, but it was clear that improv was prefered over scripted bits, and they lost the thread. Michael Hat is really goddamn funny, and Chris Hemsworth delivered it beautifully. I also liked that the villain was essentially a knock at the chuds being mad about the ghostbusters being girls, rather than the quality of the film. That said, for that to be super effective, they needed to write the character better, and they did not. Woof. Noble effort, I guess.

If they do a sequel to Afterlife, I truly hope they take it in a more RGB route and just have new foes for them to fight. I've always wondered what them fighting a ghost from the Old West would be like, or a gangster type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can you pm me the link? I'd love to see this.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I would be interested in this link.

I've sent over the mega links, does anyone else want them too?