Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Superman Returns was my third favorite Superman film for a good while but the casting and director means I'd rather eat glass than watch it again.

I remain depressed that a Superman Film is obligated to have punching when that is usually the least interesting part about Superman. The worst part of any given Superman film are the brawls. *possible* exception for Superman II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first series I remember prominently ignoring previous sequels was Halloween H20.

It was a direct sequel to Halloween 2 and ignored 4-6 (with 3 being unrelated to the others anyway.)

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Return of Godzilla was a direct sequel to the original that ignored 30 years of films to start a new continuity.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was nothing redeemable about that movie IMO

I almost fell asleep in the theater

The bit where he catches up to the bullets and flies in front of them, and then a bullet bounces off of his cornea was great.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

https://twitter.com/JordanMaison/status/1463897598578860034?t=9gl-OxwzjQRXfc0MUNW9kg&s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think that’s the first clear shot we’ve seen of Norman with the hood thing

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr. Octopus: "Y'know I also have a face, too!"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

Dr. Octopus: "Y'know I also have a face, too!"

Where ya boy Ned at?!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, I did not like Venom 2 at all. I was so looking forward to Woody hamming it up, but he only gets to do so like twice, and Carnage loving sucks outside of that. It also wasn't very funny, I feel like they leaned into the memes too much, and there wasn't any real gonzo poo poo like the lobster scene from 1. All the Shriek stuff is just loving death also, made the movie feel way too long despite only being 90 minutes.

The pride scene was good, the only part of the movie I'll praise.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

theironjef posted:

Is that the first film to do that "pretend the franchise ended at the good one" sequel thing?

Well no, because Superman III is good

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I finally got out to The Eternals. I thought it was fine. Not great, not awful. Just an ok MCU film. Not as good as Shang-Chi. What was the point of the Deviant that absorbed the other Eternals? Seemed like a really random and unnecessary addition to the plot. Thena just kills him at the end. Weird. Thena rules by the way. Easily the best Eternal. Her or Mishari. "You've never fought me before." "Yes and I've always wanted to." Dope.

Blade? Rad. Starfox? Not rad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

I finally got out to The Eternals. I thought it was fine. Not great, not awful. Just an ok MCU film. Not as good as Shang-Chi. What was the point of the Deviant that absorbed the other Eternals? Seemed like a really random and unnecessary addition to the plot. Thena just kills him at the end. Weird. Thena rules by the way. Easily the best Eternal. Her or Mishari. "You've never fought me before." "Yes and I've always wanted to." Dope.

Starfox being a regular human level of horny will make him be the horniest horndog in the MCU.

The Deviants were red herrings for the real villain, but they really should have been a threat that had been fully dealt with by the 3rd act.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a new game+ of the guardians of the galaxy game and the MCU really hosed over Gamora. The Gamora in this game has more personality in her intro scene then what we get in both GotG movies and IW/EG

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I'm wondering if the Deviants were going to have a bigger presence in an earlier script or something, because yes, everything with them just kind of peters out and it feels like something that could have been cut.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm wondering if the Deviants were going to have a bigger presence in an earlier script or something, because yes, everything with them just kind of peters out and it feels like something that could have been cut.

I thought Druig's observation that Deviants being capable of evolution made them not so different the Eternals was going to go somewhere. It did not. I suppose it could in the future, but that doesn't seem like what's going on.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There are still other Eternals/Deviants out there. Some Deviants could have reached sentience and created a society.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

I thought Druig's observation that Deviants being capable of evolution made them not so different the Eternals was going to go somewhere. It did not. I suppose it could in the future, but that doesn't seem like what's going on.

Easily the most frustrating thing about the movie for me, realizing that both the Eternals and Deviants had been hosed over by the Celestials and learning to work together (or at least not kill each other the way the Celestials want) was such an obvious plot beat, and yet they didn’t even bother. The Deviants don’t even have a reason to be in the story*, they should have just cut them and had the first half be a ‘who killed Ajax’ murder mystery.

*Yes, I’m aware their actual role was ‘CGI monster to fight because we’re afraid to do superhero movies without a bunch of dumb action scenes’ but they could have been used to actually reinforce the movie’s themes instead of just cannon fodder.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right, I really thought that the evolved Deviant was going to help the other Eternals fight Ikaris at the end

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't understand that. Even though the Deviant had gained sentience they still hated it because it killed their family. Attacking Ikaris and talking doesn't erase all of that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think you need the deviants in the movie, as I've said, to be red herring to bring the band back together. One attacks Cersei in London, they go to Ajak, find her dead, then get everyone back to help track down the last deviants that survived, then they're delt with by the end of act 2. At that point We learn the truth about Ashram and the Eternal's actual mission, and Ikaris betrayal of the team. You can even lay it in earlier by having Gilgamesh being killed by a deviant and its clear Ikaris let him die before taking out the deviant that killed him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

twistedmentat posted:

I think you need the deviants in the movie, as I've said, to be red herring to bring the band back together. One attacks Cersei in London, they go to Ajak, find her dead, then get everyone back to help track down the last deviants that survived, then they're delt with by the end of act 2. At that point We learn the truth about Ashram and the Eternal's actual mission, and Ikaris betrayal of the team. You can even lay it in earlier by having Gilgamesh being killed by a deviant and its clear Ikaris let him die before taking out the deviant that killed him.

I think this is right. There was no reason for Kro or whatever it was called to be involved in that last fight. It felt completely tacked on and useless. I thought the Ikaris vs. the rest of the Eternals actually worked really well and would have focused on that.

I actually enjoyed the movie though it's clearly got a few script issues. My fiancée was really excited coming out of it because she had no knowledge going in and was delighted to see Gemma Chan as the lead. So that was a win in her book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

This doesn't really work though. Ikaris didn't want the deviants to kill the other Eternals. He wanted them to fulfill their mission. To him, Ajak was a necessity because she wasn't going to allow the mission to be completed, but he wanted to keep the others in the dark and let him finish the job and not get killed by the deviants.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spider-Man tickets are theoretically on sale, but it seems all the movie websites are down.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Man tickets are theoretically on sale, but it seems all the movie websites are down.

Tom Holland broke the internet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

Tom Holland broke the internet.

Wow I didn't think he could balance a champagne glass on his rear end, good for him

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

TwoPair posted:

Wow I didn't think he could balance a champagne glass on his rear end, good for him

If he can dance to Rihanna, he can balance a champagne glass.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1465328332564832267?s=21

Studios like money, more at 11.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good, I would prefer to not keep changing actors every 3 films

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good, I would prefer to not keep changing actors every 3 films

Why change actors when you can just keep adding previous actors. Neil Patrick Harris and every other Spidey VA, come on down!!!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wonder what this means for all the other Sony SPUMC films in development

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wonder what this means for all the other Sony SPUMC films in development

"Aunt May: Grey Panther Down" coming to cinemas 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Still holding out hope for my Iron JJJ movie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So I guess that rumour about all the Spider-Men being mauled and killed by bears at the end of NWH is not true.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah I for sure thought that Spider-Man would be cleaved off into the Sony-Verse at the end of No Way Home and am now pleasantly surprised by this news.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 29, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never really understood the logic behind the evil mega conglomerate Disney that wants to synergize and capitalize on everything losing Spider-Man to the weird Venom "universe" without a massive amount of money to maintain this mutually profitable relationship.

Tom Holland getting tired of playing the role or thinking he was too old for it, ok that I understand. But again. "massive amount of money."

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Easily the most frustrating thing about the movie for me, realizing that both the Eternals and Deviants had been hosed over by the Celestials and learning to work together (or at least not kill each other the way the Celestials want) was such an obvious plot beat, and yet they didn’t even bother. The Deviants don’t even have a reason to be in the story*, they should have just cut them and had the first half be a ‘who killed Ajax’ murder mystery.

*Yes, I’m aware their actual role was ‘CGI monster to fight because we’re afraid to do superhero movies without a bunch of dumb action scenes’ but they could have been used to actually reinforce the movie’s themes instead of just cannon fodder.

I get the feeling that the Deviants were an aspect of the source material that Zhao just didn't really care much for and she only included them out of obligation, but yeah, the script transparently has no idea what to do with them and they're easily one of my least favorite parts of the film.

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah I for sure thought that Spider-Man would be cleaved off into the Sony-Verse at the end of Now Way Home and am now pleasantly surprised by this news.

the deal Disney/Marvel Studios and Sony struck after their earlier blowup in 2019 was for at least two films (NWH and an as-yet-unrevealed Marvel Studios film), so that was never going to happen in NWH, actually

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 29, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

STAC Goat posted:

I never really understood the logic behind the evil mega conglomerate Disney that wants to synergize and capitalize on everything losing Spider-Man to the weird Venom "universe" without a massive amount of money to maintain this mutually profitable relationship.

Tom Holland getting tired of playing the role or thinking he was too old for it, ok that I understand. But again. "massive amount of money."

As I see it, the logic is less about what Disney wants and more about Sony potentially wanting a better deal. I mean in the end Spider-man isn't owned by Disney so if Sony could profitably go it alone, they would. And in that case, the fact that Sony could at some point take their Spider-man and go home creates uncertainty around that character that Disney doesn't like. Like, a worst case scenario for Disney is that they write in Spider-man to have a huge role in the next phase of the MCU and then Sony comes up and says "you know what, Spiderverse 3 was a huge success, so we're no longer interested in MCU collaborations, bye".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah but is there really a world where Spider-Man is making near as much money with Venom and Morbius as he is in the MCU? The Sonyverse is an odd, largely hypothetical notion. So I just assumed Disney could always offer more than what any reasonable accountant thought Sony could make on its own.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, probably? Venom made 850 million. Venom 2 is the 2nd highest domestic movie of 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I was under the impression that Disney do own Spider-Man, and the character is just licensed to Sony, yet Disney's hands are tied because they're obliged to honour that license until the point where Sony lose interest in making Spider-Man films (which they never will). I think Disney can still make TV Spider-Man stuff without Sony, and they're going to do so with that upcoming MCU Spider-Man animated TV show set in between the films on DPlus.

Most of the the rumours about it being Holland's last came from Holland himself, so I do suspect it was a bit of public negotiation. This statement from Pascal implies they've rolled up the dump trucks of money to Holland's house.