Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

bobjr posted:

Could the traitor thing be a sleeper agent type deal, where even they don’t know about it? It might fit better if they had no idea they were set up for being a traitor.

I was thinking maybe all for one did some kinda quirk fuckery and he's literally seeing through her body (because light transmission nonsense) and she's none the wiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hagakure is just an obsessive tweeter and constantly leaves her location on

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Nephthys posted:

It's also that MHA seems to subvert expectations on set up and payoff. Shiggy gets his army and it's set up like they'll be building up in secret for months before attacking, only for the heroes to infiltrate and attack 1 arc later. Deku goes edgy and strikes out alone but gets talked down a few chapters later. Star shows up to help but is intercepted by Shiggy immediately and dies. It's very brisk but I think it works personally.

Not gonna tell you your perspective is wrong cause it’s all subjective; but this, awkwardly enough, is exactly the reason I’ve been hating the writing recently. Nothing feels like it has any long-term consequence. Mirio gets his powers back and the bullets are basically gone, Shiggy gains and loses his army and power of friendship faster than he gains and loses powers, characters are brought in to further plot then disappear, and Deku changes his character in about 4 chapters? It feels like half-formed ideas being written on the fly right now, and bringing back a plot thread barely touched in a long time isn’t exactly giving me confidence. I feel like the story has been going up and down since Joint Training Arc/MVA, but since the War arc it’s just felt unfocused, kinda like an unprepped GM trying to tell a story.

No this isn’t Naruto or Bleach levels of stupid, it just feels very half-baked imo, which makes it more disappointing than outright awful.

I just want him to take a month off and actually map out exactly what he wants, I feel like the quick pacing would actually work if everything felt a little more planned out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bad writing is good, because it subverts expectations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

FartingBedpost posted:

Not gonna tell you your perspective is wrong cause it’s all subjective; but this, awkwardly enough, is exactly the reason I’ve been hating the writing recently. Nothing feels like it has any long-term consequence. Mirio gets his powers back and the bullets are basically gone, Shiggy gains and loses his army and power of friendship faster than he gains and loses powers, characters are brought in to further plot then disappear, and Deku changes his character in about 4 chapters? It feels like half-formed ideas being written on the fly right now, and bringing back a plot thread barely touched in a long time isn’t exactly giving me confidence. I feel like the story has been going up and down since Joint Training Arc/MVA, but since the War arc it’s just felt unfocused, kinda like an unprepped GM trying to tell a story.

No this isn’t Naruto or Bleach levels of stupid, it just feels very half-baked imo, which makes it more disappointing than outright awful.

I just want him to take a month off and actually map out exactly what he wants, I feel like the quick pacing would actually work if everything felt a little more planned out.

Like everything, it's a Star Wars reference. Taking a page from the sequel trilogy with set-up --> build-up --> anti-climax subversion.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've been pretty meh about MHA for a while and don't expect my feelings to change, but I dunno if I'd outright wish cancelation on it. :dogstare:

Well, Hatsume is getting whacked for knowing too much.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
*kicks door open breathlessly* GUYS. TRAITOR!

ITS HAPPENING!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
To be honest, I find it very funny that the culmination of the most forgotten plot point is in the most forgotten character.

The only funnier person would be Momo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Momo might've been exposed as the traitor before succeeding at anything, but it still feels like she outwitted us.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Probably Magic posted:

To be honest, I find it very funny that the culmination of the most forgotten plot point is in the most forgotten character.

The only funnier person would be Momo.

Every student except Deku, gravity girl, explody guy, icy hot and probably the flash will be the traitors so they can conveniently write out the rest of the students in time for the final fight :cool:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Hagakure is in a fighting stance in that page because she’s being attacked by the real traitor, Hatsume Mei.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hagakure is going to beat up the rest of Class A all by herself, including Deku

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

When Aizawa finally uses his quirk on Toru it'll be revealed she's actually Dabi: Touya's half brother and the traitor, neatly tying up all the hanging plot threads

Can't wait for the next chapter.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hagakure is obviously another Todoroki whose ice refracted her flames and rendered her invisible

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hagakure is All For One's daughter(and thus Deku's half sister). :tinfoil:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

Hagakure is going to beat up the rest of Class A all by herself, including Deku

She's going to unceremoniously kill AfO and reveal she's actually the mother of all quirks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
She’s the glowing baby obviously

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

She's doing the opposite of glowing though

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I just saw someone laying out all the foreshadowing for this plotline, and it was surprisingly extensive. (Although the anime cut some of it, making it more difficult to predict).

Hagakure wasn't a voter in the class elections, which was about the time the class schedule got stolen.

She claimed to be with Shoto during USJ, but he flash-froze the area instantly, which should have shown her outline, and she commented on Ojiro being alone which she had no way to know.

She was missing from the student headcount after, like she slipped in separately. (But not in the anime.)

She was one of only two students not to know about the Bakugo rescue plan, which 'coincidentally' completely blindsides AfO.

Her Int score in the databooks was up there with Deku and Bakugo, but her grades were down with the dumbasses like Mina.

She beat Izuku (strong enough to haul around All Might without using his quirk) in the quirk apprehension test, but later supposedly can't do a single pullup once expulsion isn't at stake.

Her quirk is the only one that doesn't have an info-box explanation, and Horikoshi actively pointed that out in volume 2, saying he wanted to show her arc "properly".

Basically, there's a lot to be suspicious of. It's just been so long since it was relevant that it's easy to forget. And it's now pretty clear that she's been sandbagging hard to avoid suspicion.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Basically, there's a lot to be suspicious of. It's just been so long since it was relevant that it's easy to forget. And it's now pretty clear that she's been sandbagging hard to avoid suspicion.

Momo: "You mean that's why we lost to Kendo's team!?"

Hagakure: "No, no you just suck."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It was right there in our face the whole time!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It's really less that Hagakure doesn't make sense as the traitor and more that I don't care about her being the traitor because I've never been given a reason to care about her at all.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

wokow6 posted:

Yeah, I've pretty much enjoyed all of these arcs except the Star one. Also, I'm reserving judgment on the traitor arc until it's actually gotten underway.

I mean, if the next arc actually puts the focus on the 1A side characters who haven’t really had any real spotlight time in years, that could be pretty cool.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ironically, Hagakure is a red herring so nobody suspects the real traitor, Eraserhead.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
All Might and All for One have been in cahoots the entire time!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

christmas boots posted:

It's an elaborate plot to force the real traitor into the light: Inko Midoriya.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Is he a fan of American Gods?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

chiasaur11 posted:

It's an elaborate plot to force the real traitor into the light: Inko Midoriya.

The reason her physical appearance changed so much is because she's a nomu now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is some weird degree of retconning reactions where suddenly everyone knew who the traitor was and also nobody cared about that plot anyway when it used to come up literally weekly and people were convinced it was someone else.

Like it feels like you can at least see how it plays out before declaring it the worst plot thread ever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Literal years ago I was pretty sure it was either Hagekure or Monoma if it wasn't someone completely out of left field.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s garbage because it means my headcanon is wrong, so

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do hope the traitor plot isn't "Hagakure forced into it or All For One will kill her family/loved ones, but Deku and Class 1A promise to beat him so that won't happen, so she doesn't traitor everyone", mostly because it's kind of too late to do that plot, and also wouldn't have much of a point at the end of the day.

Granted I also don't know what a focus on it now would even be long term. If it's dealt with really quickly and without consequence then you have to wonder why it was even done, so it does need to be a big team shaking event I think to really be done well.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Even though each arc since My Villain Academia seems to swerve away from the plot point that I feel would be more interesting I don't think they've been outright terrible (except Star and Stripe, that was bad, and you can't convince me she was a real character by having them talk like they remember her fondly). If this arc leans too heavily on how sad it is to see barely-a-character Hagakure betray the class I don't think it'll work, but there's still plenty of time to see where things go. Personally I think it'd be funny if she's just played completely deviously but has no useful intel for AFO.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Hagakure isn't deliberately feeding intel to All for One, she's just been sharing every thing that happens with her pen pal who is also a Japanese high school girl that wants to be a hero.

Little did she know that it was merely All for One pretending to be a teenage girl the entire time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I half wonder whether Hagakure wasn't simply just a traitor/spy AFO placed into UA, but actually someone that AFO assigned to watch Izuku Midoriya, in particular, independent of whether or not he received One for All.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

chiasaur11 posted:

I just saw someone laying out all the foreshadowing for this plotline, and it was surprisingly extensive. (Although the anime cut some of it, making it more difficult to predict).

Hagakure wasn't a voter in the class elections, which was about the time the class schedule got stolen.

She claimed to be with Shoto during USJ, but he flash-froze the area instantly, which should have shown her outline, and she commented on Ojiro being alone which she had no way to know.

Going off those two

The fact that the USJ villains weren't aware of her classmates' quirks means she might have protected them in a way.

When the students are separated by Kurogiri she's on the opposite side of Shoto when they're teleported.

Also, Aoyama was the only other person unaccounted for and he brought attention to the fact that no one knew where he was but that it was a secret. He might not be able to say what he knows but I feel like there's something between the two.

It's fun to think about.

I wonder if AFO gave her an invisibility Quirk and she's similar to Spinner or just a Nomu of some sort.

If Toga hadn't shown up this chapter I would have suspected a kill and replace.

RareAcumen posted:

Ironically, Hagakure is a red herring so nobody suspects the real traitor, Eraserhead.

I still don't trust Nezu.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 29, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Aoyama should only be the spy if we're treated to multiple panels of flashback where he's hinting at or outright admitting to it in front of everyone and they're not paying attention.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Oh, I don't think he's the spy, but I'm hoping he's just running interference in the background since he's onto Toru's poo poo.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
AFO has the best blackmail material possible: Hagakure's baby photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If Hagakure is just straight-up the traitor I hope there isn't a deep motive. I hope she's just an absolute evil prick and there's no way to power of friendship it away.

Also, the true reveal should be that she hasn't even been naked the whole time. It was just a lie to make Aizawa not use his quirk on her (if she's a Nomu this would expose her immediately).