Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I keep switching my build/area I'm trying to defeat. Since it's been so long since I played I don't have a set build, and can use soul vessels anyway. Got a staggering amount of spells and weapons (trying for that platinum playthrough).

I defeated Nashandra, but didn't get to fight Aldia since I hadn't defeated Vendrick. Stuck at Squallid Queen, Fume Knight and the first bonfire of Eleum Loyce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Elana is pretty tricky for me too. I think part of what helps is bringing someone else to the fight, but I forget which of the possible phantoms holds out the longest against her. She's weakest to magic but has pretty high resists for all the different elements. If you've got a weapon that does strike damage, that's supposed to be pretty good.

Fume Knight is hard for sure, and mostly his fight is getting used to where his swings and attacks hit. Dark and Lightning are all right against him but moreso than Elana it's an endurance battle. I liked to use health restore over time items, since squeezing in an Estus swig can be hard. Also the advice is usually to fight him one-on-one, since NPCs die to him pretty consistently so it's a wash whether they manage to damage him enough to make up for the extra resistance he gets from you bringing in phantoms.

Getting through Eleum Lotyce in my experience takes careful pulling, since it's the kind of area where you get rushed by enemies a lot. Also you don't need to worry about the kneeling passive mobs right now--they do wake up at one point, kinda like the Heide knights, but for now it's just the ice soldiers. I find backstabs work pretty well, the only ones which aren't susceptible are the guys with the giant spikes on their backs. There's also a fair amount of stuff that's inaccessible right now just because you have to clear some other content before you can get to it. Also having repair powder on you is a good idea, Eleum Loyce is hell on weapon durability.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I found Fume Knight and Eleum Loyce pretty easy with powerstanced maces, though I've now reconfigured my build to a Strength/Dark build that is able to do some Lightning and Fire damage with some of my weapons.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wow they weren't kidding about Frigid outskirts.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

More often known as Horsefuck Valley.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Phobophilia posted:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
One of those YouTube channels that makes Dark Souls enemies fight should do ice horse vs. salamander. They will stand on opposite ends of a map, endlessly revolving in perfect circles while still somehow hitting each other with their busted-rear end hitboxes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Finally reached the second Frozen Eleum Loyce bonfire! :toot:

I'm back to using the Black Knight Great Sword like in DS1, with shield/spells/hexes in the other hand.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Thinking about revisiting DS2, I actually like a LOT of things this game had that later/earlier ones didn't, I'm still kinda sad it never got as popular.

Any good overhaul/revamp mods out for this? I know ds3 is the one that usually gets the most traction, but that could just mean ds2 ones are even cooler and no one knows about them.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I think there are a few others now, but the two DS2 mods I've played are Augur of Darkness and Seeker of Fire. Augur of Darkness is more experimental and eclectic, often using things in weird ways to change the game flow. Seeker of Fire is more of a comprehensive remaster. I think they're both interesting experiences. and worth playing, though don't do what I did and start out trying to make the DS2 Master Quest mod run also be your powerstanced whip run.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Playing through the games again... Finished demons souls remake. Playing ds1 remastered as a sorc, something i've never done.

Can't wait to revisit Drangleic... a murky, forgotten land...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, gimme you most fun weapons to try. I'm finding the Black Knight Greatsword a bit frustrating to aim.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm, gimme you most fun weapons to try. I'm finding the Black Knight Greatsword a bit frustrating to aim.

Powerstanced cestus

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MonsieurChoc posted:

Santier's Spear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Santier's Spear.

How do I break it?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Reduce durability to 0 by the normal means (standing in acid)

Orv
May 4, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Always partial to the Dragonslayer's Cresent Axe, fun, unique move set that's good for a lot of the weirder enemies in the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pamela Springstein posted:

Reduce durability to 0 by the normal means (standing in acid)

Won’t work. Acid pools don’t affect weapons, only rings and armor. Acid clouds affect both, but are a bit harder to come by—the best places are in Amana and Shulva which require a fair bit of progression from where you pick the spear up. Quickest way to break it is to repeatedly attack the bird nest in Things Betwixt with it. It has a hit box but no health bar, so you can keep pounding on it until the spear breaks without needing to reset the zone or anything. Takes a minute or two.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I used the walls in the cave before Shin. Took forever, and then the spear isn't that great anyway
:negative:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

skasion posted:

Quickest way to break it is to repeatedly attack the bird nest in Things Betwixt with it. It has a hit box but no health bar, so you can keep pounding on it until the spear breaks without needing to reset the zone or anything. Takes a minute or two.

This or be a Rat and swing away into the back of the elephant knight in the room you got the spear in.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

I used the walls in the cave before Shin. Took forever, and then the spear isn't that great anyway

The spear has a very fun moveset with decent stats. They want fun. FUN!

The roaring halberd is cool in a dark build. The murakumo is a fun big ol curved greatsword. The bone fist dual wielded with the caestus is probably the most fun poo poo but you dont get the bone fist until the end in the dlc so welp

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Charles Bukowski posted:

The spear has a very fun moveset with decent stats.

The stats get even better with a Raw infusion, and no downside since it didn't have scaling anyway. Not as nuts as you could get with Mundane infusions Back In The Day, though.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

MonsieurChoc posted:

Double Gyrm Greataxes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Dark Roaring Halberd is insanely strong it rips pvp phantoms apart.

The good thing about 30/30 Dark builds is that you're no slouch with fire and lightning infusions either. I just one-shot Darklurker with a lightning thorned greatsword. No deaths against him, he wasn't that bad. Meanwhile I died like 5 times from pits in the 3rd dark chasm.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was reminded today that I've beaten ds2 a dozen times and I've never even done the dark lurker quest or fight. That's my next job after I finish my current ds3 hollow bleed run.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dark Lurker is a pretty fun boss but I wish he was placed somewhere easier to get to because the actual runback is your choice of three of the worst in the game. Even worse than the co-op zones imo, because there are no summons to meatshield for you. If you don’t have a means of stunlocking/flattening/instakilling black phantoms then basically get bent. Don’t even bother going in lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If I have to suffer to get to a good fight then I guess I will suffer. See mes y sufres

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

How do I break it?

Fastest way to break Santier's Spear is going to Dyna and Tillo (the birds you trade stuff at the nest at Things Betwixt) and hit the nest with a 2h R2. It breaks in something like 2 minutes.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Wow. Fume Knight is really, really difficult.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Oldstench posted:

Wow. Fume Knight is really, really difficult.

He's the best. Really a highlight of the series.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

axolotl farmer posted:

The spear's damage is pretty middling. You can get over the end-damage slump by making it a raw infusion, and then go with weapon buffs. Dark Weapon and Sunlight Blade should cover most enemy weaknesses in the game. You can also pack along some resins of various types, if needed.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

He's the best. Really a highlight of the series.

Sir Alonne might be better because he can switch up his timings to throw you off. The run up to him could be better.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Charles Bukowski posted:

Sir Alonne might be better because he can switch up his timings to throw you off. The run up to him could be better.

I'd agree but I was pretty burnt out by killing the knights so by the time I got to him I appreciated it less. That's on me though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Fume knight is way easier than Alonne. He's very slow and fairly predictable. I've been doing a ton of co-oping with him to farm sunlight medals, and it is possible to avoid some of his attacks without even rolling. He's kind of like Nameless King, except without the agonizing delay on his attacks.

Charles Bukowski posted:

What really fucks me with Alonne's mixup on his charge attacks. I don't think it is linked to the direction he orientates his blade before his charge, but the timing of his sword lowering: a fast drop means a very fast charge with almost no in-between frames, a slow smooth drop means a slower smooth charge.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Dark Roaring Halberd is insanely strong it rips pvp phantoms apart.

The good thing about 30/30 Dark builds is that you're no slouch with fire and lightning infusions either. I just one-shot Darklurker with a lightning thorned greatsword. No deaths against him, he wasn't that bad. Meanwhile I died like 5 times from pits in the 3rd dark chasm.

Nice, I do have a 30/30 hex build…

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Fume Knight has some flat-out bullshit AI triggers and pseudo-RNG elements that can make the fight infinitely harder or infinitely easier depending on how quickly he enters phase 2 if at all. He also has the bullshit free hop away maneuver that shits on slower weapons. I've never gotten why people think he's the peak of DS2, tbh.

Alonne I get, though the runback ruins him for me personally. Ivory King is still the top for me, if only for the spectacle.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Max summons, both knights and players, Ivory King takes fifteen years to do but it's so much fun.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i only like easy bosses and my fave is a tie between the rotten and duke tseldora

Orv
May 4, 2011
Would it not then be Covetous Demon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orv posted:

Max summons, both knights and players, Ivory King takes fifteen years to do but it's so much fun.

:yeah: