Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Oxyclean posted:

One thing that really irks me about NexusMods is them deactivating your account if you don't use it for awhile. I'm glad they sorted their poo poo out, but I'll never not make burner accounts via temporary email addresses because of their dumbassery.

The paid creation club bundle has what seems like a comical amount of player homes, at least from the person I was watching play. They found like 3 homes over the course of a few hours. (Though, I think their chat might have been directing them towards AE specific stuff?)

It's also funny how they seem to come kitted out right off the bat and don't have the most involved requirements to get? Meanwhile vanilla houses are like "5000 gold for an empty room."

Didn't people pay real money to get CC content. Makes sense. It's like buying a yacht in GTA V, the jetskis and helicopter are included.

Meanwhile everyone else gets free fishing, survival mode and whatever else. Which is crap for all the irritation it caused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Oxyclean posted:

One thing that really irks me about NexusMods is them deactivating your account if you don't use it for awhile. I'm glad they sorted their poo poo out, but I'll never not make burner accounts via temporary email addresses because of their dumbassery.

The paid creation club bundle has what seems like a comical amount of player homes, at least from the person I was watching play. They found like 3 homes over the course of a few hours. (Though, I think their chat might have been directing them towards AE specific stuff?)

It's also funny how they seem to come kitted out right off the bat and don't have the most involved requirements to get? Meanwhile vanilla houses are like "5000 gold for an empty room."

This actually kind of irks me because even those paid DLC houses in Oblivion needed in game gold to get them fully kited out. Feels like paying money to make Skyrim easier, when its not exactly hard to start with.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean how many mods on the Nexus were basically "here's this super awesome weapon and armor in a chest in Riverwood"?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

kartikeya posted:

It annoyed the hell out of me (because I am a dumb and I do things wrong), but it turns out there's a Synthesis patcher that does basically everything, and much, much faster:

Get AllGUD, then get the AllGUD conditions fix from here, then get this, and run the Synthesis patcher (you just have to set the output folders). Patcher took a few minutes at most for a really heavily modded setup, no messing with xedit scripts or even manually patching skeletons, though you still need the modded one.

I don't run it on the NPCs because I figured that would add a bunch of unnecessary script processing, I use Simple Dual Sheath and turn off player display in the ini file.

Ok, how do I disable ALLGUD for NPCs?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

Ok, how do I disable ALLGUD for NPCs?

There is a toggle in its MCM menu under the NPCs tab. There's a couple of tickboxes that say something like "Display weapons for NPCs [X]" and "Display misc items for NPCs [X]". Just disable both of them and you're golden.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This actually kind of irks me because even those paid DLC houses in Oblivion needed in game gold to get them fully kited out. Feels like paying money to make Skyrim easier, when its not exactly hard to start with.

Well since it's a singleplayer game you can always throw however much gold you feel the place is worth into a ditch and it having the same effect as paying a NPC for it, if you don't have much gold compared to how you feel it's worth just feel like you are tossing "down payments" into that ditch every few ingame days.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

nine-gear crow beat me to the answer, so instead have some more quotes from the Nexus freakout in June:

some guy posted:

Is there a point to that?

Whether a mod can be used with others is what is meaningless. There are a multitude of mods out there that don't play nice with others. Even the most novice user is aware of that. But then, there are thousands of mods out there that they WILL play nice with.

Wabbajack is popular because it takes the work out of modding your game. You point and click a few times, wait, and voila, a modded game. It is a tool for those that are unwilling, or unable to learn how to properly mod their own game. That's it.

some other guy posted:

If we were making mods for the user in the first place - we would quit modding after few releases, because the user sometimes is the worst thing that can happen to the mod author. Entitlement, aggression, insults, ignoring descriptions, false bugreports aka "ur mod bork my game fix ur sh*t right now you piece of human trash, how dare you... oh sorry I forgot to install required mod haha wow cool mod bro", etc etc etc. Overall average endorsements ratio is around ~5% of users even for very popular mods. Donations - almost non-existent (even though every second user claims he will donate many many moneys), $0 to $15 a year for a normal mod author, and def a bit more for top 10 mods of all time per popular game.

We also have mods we make just for ourselves, with no intention of sharing with anybody else, maybe except other mod authors and friends. Some of those mods are quite good, and the usual, typical user would go into rage knowing such mod exists and isn't given to them on a golden plate.

Don't bring the user into the equation. Because the user is the last entity we make our mods for. Even if we sink hundreds or thousands of hours making our work stable, compatible, easy to install. It's still - for us. And only AFTER - for them.

:ffg: posted:

I'll answer this one as I also made the contention. An API robot is not a mod page visit.

If an API robot downloads a mod from Nexus, that means the mod author was cut out of sharing the mod with the community. It means the mod author only has interaction with an API robot. It means only the person constructing the mod pack or list of mods gets contact with the community, and that's silly as the list creator is not the mod author.

If mod authors can opt out of having their mods involuntarily included into mod packs, this would not be an issue. But there are mod authors who explicitly state and contend they do not want to be part of mod packs. They say they would rather delete their mods than be part of mod packs.

I will repeat, Nexus mods years back respected Niero's desire to distance himself from his adult mods. He was allowed to delete his mods and leave that community. Nexus applauded this and dedicated a lengthy interview to it.

Nothing has changed with regard to what is right or wrong. But now API robots get priority rights over actual mod authors, and mod authors are not allowed to delete their work to protect the rights of API robots to cut out the mod authors from the community. Mod authors won't get visits from humans anymore. They'll get visits from API robots, and they cannot opt out.

With regard to my mods? I don't believe in justice (it's a fantasy), so I will go on with life. But I steadfastly contend mod authors who want to opt out of the system either by deleting files or by opting out of mod packs should be allowed to do so.

Post script: And for the record, I never accepted a penny for sharing mods and never will. I do not want to be paid and never wanted to be paid. I do not sell mods. I do not sell my time modding because I already modded at the time I share it.

I have never bothered to close this GMAD thread's tab, and I may never.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, to give some credit to the CC houses, they're selling a theme/fantasy. The base game/DLC houses are somewhat generic (from what ive seen) - with the Hearthfire ones being modular. One of the CC ones I saw was a mage tower sort of deal, another seemed to be a Vampire Manor in a cave.

Although, I suppose your kinda just getting a standalone version of the Archmage's Quarters with that first one.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, to give some credit to the CC houses, they're selling a theme/fantasy. The base game/DLC houses are somewhat generic (from what ive seen) - with the Hearthfire ones being modular. One of the CC ones I saw was a mage tower sort of deal, another seemed to be a Vampire Manor in a cave.

Although, I suppose your kinda just getting a standalone version of the Archmage's Quarters with that first one.

Myrwatch is the Mage one, and it works pretty well for that theme. Bloodchill is the Vampire one, and it's... not great. Doesn't even have thralls to feed on. The layout isn't exactly interesting, either.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Myrwatch is nice but i wish everything in it didn't yeet itself into the void every time i entered or tried to use an installation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whoah there buddy, if you're looking for something without ridiculous bugs, you're looking in the wrong place.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Personally I'll look into getting the Anniversary Upgrade once somebody inevitably end up releasing mods that flesh out the CC content with more requirements, barriers and progression stages.
Like there's some genuinely nice looking stuff included there that I'd love to mess around with, but only if it feels "natural" (so to speak) and integrated.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see some CC quests get overhauled to replace some of the overflow of notes and journals with actual voiced NPCs, though it'd likely just be with 15.ai or something similar.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Creation Club and its accompanying profit motive exasperates a common problem in modding communities, which is that just because one modder is good at a single thing, does not mean they're good at others, or even interested in becoming so. Take the "cool armor in a box near Riverwood problem". Nine times out of ten it's like that because the modder knows how to do meshes and textures, and poo poo all about anything else. They've completed the thing they were passionate about (making the armor) and have no interest in spending weeks or even months figuring out how to make a cool quest around getting the armor, even though they'd definitely like to give their creation a bit more fanfare than the mold-ridden box by the river. Now in a regular modding context something beautiful may happen, which is that another modder who happens to be terrible at making assets but decent at writing quests and scripting comes across the armor mod and reach out to the armor guy, and either makes a whole new mod that includes the armor as an asset, or help the armor guy implement a quest into the original mod. Cathedral-style cooperation! You love to see it.

But now we include money into the equation. Now we have a Creator who likes to make armors, or maybe player homes. They're now in a direct contract with Bethesda to produce content and may even rely on the Creation Club as a partial source of income. They make their own compartmentalized thing and have far less motivation to start working together with others halfway through the process. Not only would doing so risk splitting the income streams, you'd likely also have to adjust the agreement with Bethesda to account for the new guy, which is a big pain and probably not worth it. Also, these complementary modders would likely feel far less compelled to approach a Creator, due to the complexity and/or personal misgivings added by the monetary situation.
Then there's the technical and even more complicated problem of making a major update to a Creation Club item after the initial release (like in the original armor box scenario). Not only does Bethesda have to sign off on it, but the update has to be included in an official patch to the game, meaning it absolutely, positively has to be fully savegame-compatible even for players who are already in the process of playing through your content. So no ambitious rewrites.

It all ends up incentivizing Parlor-like practices, which is a big hindrance for the Creations' quality.

My hope is that the release of AE will popularize the CC content enough that people will start thinking of them more like DLC and treating them as such (which is to say "change all the things you don't like about them").

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

My hope is that the release of AE will popularize the CC content enough that people will start thinking of them more like DLC and treating them as such (which is to say "change all the things you don't like about them").

This is already happening for the parts that are included in the upgrade for free (Survival, Fishing, and Saints & Seducers), to an extent. Survival is getting compatibility patches and such, Fishing is getting things here and there, and S&S has been getting retextures of assets and whatnot.

Nothing approaching better integration yet, but that could happen eventually. The big question is will anyone bother with the OTHER stuff? I don't know. CC stuff has been in the game for a while now, and it's relatively uncommon on the Nexus regardless. The paywall is a big disincentive.

The assets from The Cause (the Ayleid assets, in particular) are open for modders to use, however.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 29, 2021

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There are some modders on the SimonMagus server who are working on balancing the new cc stuff, though they’re balancing it to work with Simonrim which I know not everyone here likes.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Helith posted:

There are some modders on the SimonMagus server who are working on balancing the new cc stuff, though they’re balancing it to work with Simonrim which I know not everyone here likes.

I don't think there is a single notable Skyrim modder that isn't a massive piece of poo poo in some way or another at this point so I dunno if that matters too much.
Although personally I'm kind of noticing Simonrim kind of has this "no fun allowed" attitude behind a lot of the mods that I am starting to find grating.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 29, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

Love to do political analyses of skyrim while forgetting that the entire setting is a dream within a dream of a godhead. What the dragonborn does at the end is doing percussive maintenance on Alduin so that hopefully he gets his head straight and when the time comes he will swallow Nirn and everything can start back when Auriel/Akatosh throw Lorkhan/Shor's heart away.

Yes its more akin to Haiti. Between the red mountain erupting and the Septim Dynasty's death the Empire accelerated in it's decline. Even the dunmer refugees in Skyrim have no particular desire to return home and the folks in the gray quarter prefer to live in an Imperial province wracked by Civil War than to return to whatever's left back in Morrowind. Meanwhile the Thalmor are straight up encouraging the rebellion because it keeps the Empire divided and weak while both sides lick their wounds.

It wasn't a "political analysis", it was the world's most basic observation. You're the guy who said it was an era away.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

From what i've seen so far, CC stuff should aspire to be like Legacy of the Dragonborn, or at least, until you dig into it, it felt surprisingly well integrated and presented. I was not expecting a fully voice acted (and decently at that, maybe some volume issues on some lines) NPC.

My only gripe with it so far is it feels pretty hard to figure out when you have stuff you can donate to the museum without either guessing with the one box, or just taking a gamble with the thing that takes stuff out of your inventory automatically? It also seems like there's books I can put in the museum, but i have no idea which are eligible. In general, maybe items getting marked with a "this belongs in a museum" would help a lot to figure out what I should grab/sell/etc.

Another thing that seems incredibly smart is the ability to make replicas, which from what I can tell includes stuff from quest paths you didn't take, or forked over at some point, so you aren't locked out of completing the museum.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
After fighting (and often winning) to keep up with updates from so many different sources while some refused to work and others caused crashes I finally got physics working and then a failure to launch on current build.

Deleted 300GB of assorted mods/tools/patches and installs. :feelsgood:

I got maybe half way through the game in the last 10 days and was having fun with it, started most mainline quests, about to find out what Saints and Seducers was but the constant interactions between updates in a medium/large build was too much.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

From what i've seen so far, CC stuff should aspire to be like Legacy of the Dragonborn, or at least, until you dig into it, it felt surprisingly well integrated and presented. I was not expecting a fully voice acted (and decently at that, maybe some volume issues on some lines) NPC.

My only gripe with it so far is it feels pretty hard to figure out when you have stuff you can donate to the museum without either guessing with the one box, or just taking a gamble with the thing that takes stuff out of your inventory automatically? It also seems like there's books I can put in the museum, but i have no idea which are eligible. In general, maybe items getting marked with a "this belongs in a museum" would help a lot to figure out what I should grab/sell/etc.

Another thing that seems incredibly smart is the ability to make replicas, which from what I can tell includes stuff from quest paths you didn't take, or forked over at some point, so you aren't locked out of completing the museum.

Curator's Companion (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/38529) adds a UI element so you can identify what items can be displayed/ already are displayed. Can't imagine using LOTD without it really.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Curator's Companion is, hands down, one of the most crucial additions to LOTD out there. It's a whole OTHER set of compatibility patches to maintain, but it's great.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
So maybe I should have asked this before I installed two hundred mods, but that is part of the charm of skyrim after all... anyway! I notice there are two or three different mod managers now, the old Nexus Mod Manager (defunct?), Vortex (what I'm using atm) and Mod Organizer 2 - Vortex seems to come with it's own implementation of LOOT and can alternatively link to that and FNIS and already I'm flooded with acronyms... what is the difference between the managers, if any? Is MO2 considered the best, and why if so? Vortex seems to have done a decent job so far...

Oh and are Bashed Patches still a thing? I forget what they did exactly, but I remember them being important...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mod Organizer is absolutely considered the best mod manager, mostly because of how it handles mod installs. IIRC instead of directly modifying your Skyrim install, MO (and MO2) creates its own mod directory and redirects Skyrim to look there for your mods. This is not only much easier on your Skyrim install because very little is being changed when you install a mod, it also allows MO to easily manage mod profiles. Technically the mod managers have the ability to create profiles as well, but IME with the Nexus Mod Manager it breaks more often than it works and it takes forever because the manager has to uninstall all the mods in one profile and install all the mods in the profile you're switching to. MO just tells Skyrim to look in a different directory for your installed mods.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Bashed patches are very good for levelled lists, so if you have a few mods adding stuff to the same levelled list then you need to make one to get them all to play nice with each other.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Commander Keene posted:

Mod Organizer is absolutely considered the best mod manager, mostly because of how it handles mod installs. IIRC instead of directly modifying your Skyrim install, MO (and MO2) creates its own mod directory and redirects Skyrim to look there for your mods. This is not only much easier on your Skyrim install because very little is being changed when you install a mod, it also allows MO to easily manage mod profiles. Technically the mod managers have the ability to create profiles as well, but IME with the Nexus Mod Manager it breaks more often than it works and it takes forever because the manager has to uninstall all the mods in one profile and install all the mods in the profile you're switching to. MO just tells Skyrim to look in a different directory for your installed mods.

Asked this a couple of days ago, but got lost in mod drama or something. If I'm using mods that require compatibility patches, do I merge the patch into the sme name mod, or is it better to change the name of the patch when installing?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Commander Keene posted:

Mod Organizer is absolutely considered the best mod manager, mostly because of how it handles mod installs. IIRC instead of directly modifying your Skyrim install, MO (and MO2) creates its own mod directory and redirects Skyrim to look there for your mods.

fwiw Vortex does this now too, the real differences are UI and if you want to support a monopolizing effect of Nexus hosting and actually controlling the modding

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fat Samurai posted:

Asked this a couple of days ago, but got lost in mod drama or something. If I'm using mods that require compatibility patches, do I merge the patch into the sme name mod, or is it better to change the name of the patch when installing?

How likely is it that you're going to drop some of the mods you're getting patches for from your load order? If you're getting a patch for mods A and B and are always going to be using both A and B, you might as well merge the patch to one of them. If you might get rid of one (without completely redoing your mod installs) then you probably want to keep them separate so you don't forget and have something bugging out.

zhar
May 3, 2019

afaik there's no downside to having them seperate aside from the list being a bit less clean unless you're reaching the esp limit or something, so I personally wouldn't bother because I'm lazy. Maybe it shaves a couple of ms off the load time but I don't know about that. Wouldn't you have to do it each time you updated that mod as well?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
There's no reason to merge mods afaik in SE now that the esp limit is essentially bypassed

that being said, when I merged patches in VR to save load order slots, I merged all the patches together: so the load order is main plugin, then merged patches

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Unless I'm misunderstanding something the esps would still be separate regardless, they'd just be under one mod on the left pane instead of two. Purely an UI thing afaik

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

What are good mods to make Skyrim the prettiest princess of them all? Lots of mods seem to take screenshots with really great graphics mods and then they don't include what those graphics mods are in the description. Also does anyone have a fix for SkyUI inventory loading a bit slowly? I've got the latest AE SKSE and latest SkyUI.

pissinthewind fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 29, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fwiw Vortex does this now too, the real differences are UI and if you want to support a monopolizing effect of Nexus hosting and actually controlling the modding

I've been using Vortex for some time now for Oldrim, Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 and some other games and works fine enough and has a really decent UI. But I'm talking about small modlists (around 20-25).

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Pontificating rear end posted:

There's no reason to merge mods afaik in SE now that the esp limit is essentially bypassed

that being said, when I merged patches in VR to save load order slots, I merged all the patches together: so the load order is main plugin, then merged patches

Isn’t merging all the mods that affect leveled lists still generally something you should do?

zhar
May 3, 2019

I think there are at least three things that can be referred to as merging mods/patches which makes it all a bit confusing. Merging esp plugins to save space, making a new plugin containing merged leveled lists, and third I'm just remembering if you download a patch from the same page as the main mod file it tries to install in mod organiser with the same name, and asks to rename merge or overwrite which seems to be what Fat Samurai is asking about and I didn't realise before. I've never merged on that but it's probably personal preference, for me having a decently long modlist feels fragile and I want it to be as easy as possible to debug in case something breaks but it comes at the cost of having an even longer list in the UI.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Isn’t merging all the mods that affect leveled lists still generally something you should do?

you want to create a patch that merges the changes, you don't want to merge the mods themselves

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

zhar posted:

I think there are at least three things that can be referred to as merging mods/patches which makes it all a bit confusing. Merging esp plugins to save space, making a new plugin containing merged leveled lists, and third I'm just remembering if you download a patch from the same page as the main mod file it tries to install in mod organiser with the same name, and asks to rename merge or overwrite which seems to be what Fat Samurai is asking about and I didn't realise before. I've never merged on that but it's probably personal preference, for me having a decently long modlist feels fragile and I want it to be as easy as possible to debug in case something breaks but it comes at the cost of having an even longer list in the UI.

If I'm understanding this right all you need to do to fix this (in MO2) is hit the drop-down arrow to the right of the duplicate name while you're installing and it will show you alternate/correct names for the patch.

Also helpful if you want the SE/AE addition or version number in the name. All of which you can type in yourself as well. But if you're burnt out on adding a ton of mods it can be annoying when the patches want to install under the same name for sure.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Red Metal posted:

you want to create a patch that merges the changes, you don't want to merge the mods themselves

Oh right, that’s what I was referring to not the idea of merging mods themselves yeah.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oh right, that’s what I was referring to not the idea of merging mods themselves yeah.

I forget to make different entries for the mods and patches generally, but it's probably much more foolproof to make them separate. You'll get a lot of loose file extras by merging mod updates instead of having the new version fully replace it, and replacing it will erase any other patch files you have in the same entry. I have to be careful not to accidentally erase compatibility patches when I update mods like that.

Does that make sense? The terminology is a bit of a confusing point.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

pissinthewind posted:

What are good mods to make Skyrim the prettiest princess of them all? Lots of mods seem to take screenshots with really great graphics mods and then they don't include what those graphics mods are in the description. Also does anyone have a fix for SkyUI inventory loading a bit slowly? I've got the latest AE SKSE and latest SkyUI.

I'm also in this same boat. Looking for some nice graphical overhauls.

Also kind of just looking for some nice QoL mods. Stuff that might fix small issues or pain points that are in the base game. Thing is I kind of don't remember what stuff bothered me a whole lot in my original playthrough.

The biggest thing I notice immediately is the mouse acceleration or something. The mouse kind of feels like it's lagging a bit behind. Is there a fix for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The biggest thing I notice immediately is the mouse acceleration or something. The mouse kind of feels like it's lagging a bit behind. Is there a fix for this?

There's an ini fix for that if I remember right but you also probably want to remove the console auto aim for bows, too