Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Iacen posted:

Hi all, got a RG351 I bought. It came with one memory card, and had another memory card with additional games. If I wanted to merge these two cards on 1 memory card, how would I go about formatting it?

1. Make backup copies of the contents of both cards.
2. Format larger card and flash new firmware on it.
3. Put card in Slot 1, turn on device, let it do the first-boot repartitioning. Turn off device, remove card.
4. Copy over your roms and bios files to the new folders made during repartitioning.
5. Insert card in device, turn device on, play games.

I would actually recommend against doing everything I just said because it's really a nice feature to have the OS/firmware on one card and all of your games on another one. It makes trying new custom firmwares really easy without having to copy over your library every single time.

Jedi425 posted:

So what the heck is the deal with the Retroid Pocket 2+? If I order it now from their website, it might ship in 35 days?

lol yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Jedi425 posted:

So what the heck is the deal with the Retroid Pocket 2+? If I order it now from their website, it might ship in 35 days?

I ordered mine on the 30th of october and all I got was a paypal receipt, not even an order confirmation lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_hDDCa5peI

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have a retroflag mega drive case for my pi3, it is very good
Yeah their cases look quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhaQTeKpl4

Jedi425 posted:

Every part is in short supply and every product is delayed right now. They probably feel like they have time, since none of their competitors are beating them to the punch yet.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 27, 2021

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

The United States posted:

Every part is in short supply and every product is delayed right now. They probably feel like they have time, since none of their competitors are beating them to the punch yet.

Oh, natch; I work in Network Engineering, and you won't believe the lead times for equipment right now. I meant more like, their website is very unclear as to when or if I could ever expect my product if I ordered one. I guess I'll wait to see if any of you get yours then.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Does anyone have any tips on how to remap the N64 controls on 351Elec’s Mupenplus Rice standalone emulator? I’ve used a Linux partition tool to go in and change the config file, but every time I launch a game it changes the config back to the original settings. They’re mostly fine but I cannot brook pressing in the right stick for Z.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

My 351V finally arrived and I’m mostly happy with it. The biggest pain in the rear end so far was that some of my romsets just did not want to show up. So I tied up someone else’s computer for a day and a half getting this sorted, because mine is dead. :v: I feel great about that, lemme tell ya. (spoiler: I do not in fact feel great about it) 351elec is p slick though.

I preordered a RP2+ at the beginning of the month and I’m just going to assume that it will show up in February or March sometime, based on people’s past experiences with Retroid preorders.

Also got a RG280m for $60 and I wish the screen was just a little bigger. the colors just look so good on it and Adam is a much faster front end to navigate. Also I kind of like the chunkier lower res pixels for older games :shobon:

Wow I’ve spent too much cash on this

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
All these gamemaker linux ports working on RK3326 devices (with a bunch of work) is really neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=navwk8rGNTw

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I have an older RG350 (not M) which is the best firmware I should be running with it? It’s still stock right now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Adam, no doubt

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Adam, no doubt

Our boy Russ to the rescue!

https://youtu.be/kdIdiQ-dO_Y

Thanks! I need to see if I have a spare memory card laying around now lol

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Looks like Game Kiddy is running a Kickstarter for a new GKD Mini called the GKD Pro. Except, as far as I can tell, it's exactly the same as the GKD Mini except that it comes with a metal shell. Downside here is for $149 USD that is... pretty lame. Let's not even talk about them claiming an MSRP price of $259. On the bright side, maybe we'll actually see a new firmware for the GKD Mini that is fully in English. I'm one of the dummies who bought one due to its aesthetics (it's adorable. It looks like BMO) and I think it's actually a great little system but it desperately needs something similar to an Adam firmware made for it. Without good software it's a brick.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

roobots posted:

Without good software it's a brick.

This sort of thing is why I've donated to techtoytinker (TheRA) and Christain Haitian (ArkOS) and think of that as part of the price when buying the rg351 anbernic devices. It would be kind of lovely if these companies profit off the hardware that only ends up being sold because of aftermarket support from devs working for free.

AFAIK the 351Elec people don't solicit donations or even have a way to donate; if you go to the "Contributing to 351Elec" section of their site it just talks about how to set up a build environment and contribute code. It kind of makes sense, I think 351elec as a whole is the product of a larger community rather than just the one lead.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

zzMisc posted:

This sort of thing is why I've donated to techtoytinker (TheRA) and Christain Haitian (ArkOS) and think of that as part of the price when buying the rg351 anbernic devices. It would be kind of lovely if these companies profit off the hardware that only ends up being sold because of aftermarket support from devs working for free.

AFAIK the 351Elec people don't solicit donations or even have a way to donate; if you go to the "Contributing to 351Elec" section of their site it just talks about how to set up a build environment and contribute code. It kind of makes sense, I think 351elec as a whole is the product of a larger community rather than just the one lead.

The community that comes up around these devices is so amazing and I'm blown away at the value these developers add on a consistent basis. I know we've been spoiled by a few years of great pocket emulator devices but I definitely think the market is getting to a point where your stock OS has to really be at least decent. Anbernic has done a good job of making great out of the box devices that are fantastic to use even if you never touch the firmware or options. A lot of the other companies are still lagging behind here. And then the GKD Mini is over here with barely any English support.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Behold, the unholy lovechild of a retroid pocket 1 and an analogue pocket is born

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keJPQ29hdTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPf31gfuABw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Behold, the unholy lovechild of a retroid pocket 1 and an analogue pocket is born

Hosting their own ROM site is pretty lmao

e: lol no screen scale/aspect ratio options

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 29, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keJPQ29hdTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPf31gfuABw

And once again a vertical oriented handheld is ruined by not adding a second stick even though there is clearly more than enough room on the right side for one, why are they so allergic to doing that with these things?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What the gently caress is that button layout

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

And once again a vertical oriented handheld is ruined by not adding a second stick even though there is clearly more than enough room on the right side for one, why are they so allergic to doing that with these things?

The overwhelming majority of games these are intended to run predate the scheme so why spend money on that?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barudak posted:

The overwhelming majority of games these are intended to run predate the scheme so why spend money on that?

Because it's nice to have and only a single stick looks ugly as hell on everything besides the N64 and the original 2DS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drrockso20 posted:

Because it's nice to have and only a single stick looks ugly as hell on everything besides the N64 and the original 2DS

You dare to disrespect the Dreamcast controller in this house.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

You dare to disrespect the Dreamcast controller in this house.

It was terrible and you're not even my real parent!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

What the gently caress is that button layout
Good for n64, less so for everything else

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It'd be good for Saturn too, but, alas

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Good for n64, less so for everything else

lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nightmarish

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
wtf is c-mode

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that's not good for N64 or anything else.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
casually firing eggs out of kazooie's rear end with my patented claw grip

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

loopsheloop posted:

casually firing eggs out of kazooie's rear end with my patented claw grip

You can't patent prior art, friend:

As any MonHun player from back then will be more than happy to tell you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WILLIE: I got it from Monster Hunter in 2009.
WIGGUM: Oh yeah, that was a pretty addictive video game.
WILLIE: Video game?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man, I know this isn’t the retro games thread but owning one of these devices finally let me play the fan translation of Mother 3 and it was worth the price of the console. Brought me right back to the good old days, like I was playing Earthbound or FF6 for the first time. It was wonderful and I’ll be playing again for sure.

Goofy cartoon RPG made me actually tear up a few times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh moonlight now works on 351elec

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I upgraded my RG350 to Adam and while it worked… it definitely didn’t work right lol. The UI looks nothing like
It should and at this point I’m kinda over it since having to take the card back out means I need to unscrew everything to get to it.

I’m just gonna mess around with my vita and wait for my RP2+ lol.

I also did unbrick my GPD XD as well but the legacy rom doesn’t work (none of them) so I think I might have a faulty unit. The stock rom works but it’s an unpleasant experience.

If anyone in LA wants an RG350 or an GDP XD lol let me know they went back in the closet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rolo posted:

Man, I know this isn’t the retro games thread but owning one of these devices finally let me play the fan translation of Mother 3 and it was worth the price of the console. Brought me right back to the good old days, like I was playing Earthbound or FF6 for the first time. It was wonderful and I’ll be playing again for sure.

Goofy cartoon RPG made me actually tear up a few times.

It's a great game. Not to be maudlin but I played it (major Mother 3 plot spoilers by association) a long time ago right after my brother died and let me tell you what a loving mistake that was

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So I let my rg280v collect dust for a while (at least a month) and now it won't charge or power on. Search results tell me I'm at least not the first person to get this. Ordered a new battery, here's hoping it works.

But let this be a lesson: these things are like pets, if you stop feeding them for too long, they loving die.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

zzMisc posted:

So I let my rg280v collect dust for a while (at least a month) and now it won't charge or power on. Search results tell me I'm at least not the first person to get this. Ordered a new battery, here's hoping it works.

But let this be a lesson: these things are like pets, if you stop feeding them for too long, they loving die.

I let my RP2 die in a drawer and literally the only power thing in my entire house that brought it back was the IQ port on my Anker portable battery, whatever the hell that means. After that the normal stuff charged it again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone here get the RG351MP? I’ve been playing on my RG351V for months but the D Pad position and my hands are starting to not get along. I’m wondering if the newest horizontal one is more ergonomic to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Anyone here get the RG351MP? I’ve been playing on my RG351V for months but the D Pad position and my hands are starting to not get along. I’m wondering if the newest horizontal one is more ergonomic to hold.

Yeah, I've got one. The problem with it is that it's heavy. The heaviness is legit enough to make it uncomfortable to use for a long stretch. If I'm playing something in bed, I have to choose between holding it up and straining my wrists, or resting the bottom on my chest and almost completely muffling the sound from its bottom speakers. It's enough that I just went and ordered a rgb10 max 2, because I want to have something around that's more comfortable to hold. I could just be a total wuss though.

I have too many of these drat things now and probably should sell off a couple.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 30, 2021