Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They were a pretty good band especially the first album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know what it means to be a "proponent of suicide" but I don't like it.

I think it would be merciful to allow a victim of horrible radiation poisoning to receive euthanasia, though. That could take the form of a giant opioid overdose, or nitrogen asphyxiation, or something else that is quick and painless. It doesn't have to be a choice between gradually liquefying in your hospital bed or shooting yourself in the head.

meme thread bummer!

oh, you mean assisted suicide?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
sure. don't be a dumb goon and pretend that "i support suicide" has the same connotations as "i support euthanasia" though. different words mean different things.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

What do you get when you cross a nuclear thread derail, a Spanish POS software vendor, and an award for idiots together?

Demon CoreDarwin Award

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Yeah, sure, whatever.

I always suggest people get help. If folks can get aid and pull themselves out of whatever may be holding them back or pushing them down? Awesome. But the stigmatization of people who can't feel better, face real world trouble, who will likely spend the rest of their lives merely coping and are stuck in a system that doesn't care loving pisses me off.

It's harder to die than it is to eke out some sort of survival, and I unabashedly applaud those who can pull it off.

Live well. Live long. But recognize that sometimes lifelong trauma isn't worth it.

*edit* I get that suicide generally sucks and is usually an ill-advised impulse. I've also spent my life seeing people make the deaths of people who take their own lives all about themselves. "How could they be so selfish?" "Why did they do this to us" etc etc etc.

People suffer. Sometimes they get fed up enough to do something about it. Respect their choice after the fact if you couldn't/wouldn't do anything before that point.

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Nov 29, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The answer is always guillotine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

A Terrible Person posted:

People suffer. Sometimes they get fed up enough to do something about it. Respect their choice after the fact if you couldn't/wouldn't do anything before that point.

lmao get hosed. you can't simultaneously say that suicide is a personal decision that people should take if they want, and then blame the survivors for letting it happen.

you can acknowledge that it's a response to pain and also a selfish act that ruins the lives of many more than just the person who offs themselves.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Nov 29, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In conclusion: suicide for some, miniature American flags for others

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

a selfish act that ruins the lives of many more than just the person who offs themselves.

Way to prove my position better than I ever could on my own.

"gently caress you, person suffering, look how much not suffering anymore will mess with our lives arbitrarily!"

I think I have said enough, and you should ponder your views if you think that is what's important about someone else deciding to exit life.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In conclusion: suicide for some, miniature American flags for others

Jesus Christ, Allah, Buddha, and everyone else, yes.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I said "gross," not "tell me a bunch of poo poo I already know"

And don't go twisting my tits because of the phrasing you chose sounded a little off to at least two people, you loving turnip

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I would definitely not say that neutron radiation is the least scary of the various types.

The main properties that affect how dangerous a given form of radiation is, beyond just how much of it there is, are its penetrating ability and its ionizing potential (ability to cause cellular damage). A secondary factor is where you are exposed; some parts of your body are much more sensitive to radiation than others. You can survive a lot more radiation to your foot than to your brain or abdomen.

Alpha particles are big heavy helium nuclei that cause tons of molecular damage to whatever they hit. However, they are so weakly penetrating that they can be blocked with a piece of paper or basically any other kind of barrier. Your outer layer of skin, which is immune to DNA damage because it's dead, protects you from external alpha radiation. The only way it will hurt you is if an emitter gets inside your body somehow, from where it can radiate the low-penetrating alpha particles directly into living cells.

Beta particles are electrons, much lighter than alphas -- about 1/10000 the mass. They penetrate dead skin and paper, but can be blocked by a thin sheet of aluminum, a few inches of wood, etc. If a beta emitter is up against your skin it will radiate through your body to some depth, but the particles are less ionizing and cause less damage than alphas would.

Gamma radiation is photons, which have no mass. It is highly penetrating and can pass completely through your body like there's nothing there. However, partly because the photons have no mass and partly because a lot of the particles just pass through you without interacting, it causes the least damage per-particle of the three types. (It is still very bad to be exposed to, of course). You can only block gamma radiation with heavy shielding like thick concrete or lead.

Neutrons are heavy, a quarter the mass of an alpha particle, but also highly penetrating because they are neutrally charged. This is a really bad combination. They blast through your body like cannonballs, knocking atoms around and wreaking all sorts of havoc. They can also cause other atoms in your body to transmute into radioactive elements, which will then decay and emit other sorts of radiation in situ. The only way to shield against neutron radiation is with a thick barrier of light elements that will scatter the neutrons and slow them down. Water turns out to be really good for this, which is why spent nuclear fuel rods are stored in swimming pools. Thick layers of certain plastics work well for neutron shielding too.

Okay, so the test is:

You have four cookies.
One emits alpha particles, one emits beta, the third gamma, and the fourth neutrons.
You have to eat one, put one in your pocket, hold one in your hand, and throw the fourth away.

Which is which?

You throw away the neutron cookie, because you don't want anything to do with it.
You put the alpha cookie in your pocket, because the cloth of your pants blocks all the radiation. Eating it would be an extremely bad idea, because then the emitter is inside you.
You hold the beta cookie in your hand, because while it wouldn't be as bad as alpha you still don't want to eat it, and if it were in your pocket it would be too close to your vital organs. Keeping it at arm's length is safer.
You eat the gamma cookie, because it's the one that will do the least damage inside your body, and in your hand or pocket the radiation would be passing right through you anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.

That might be a better question for the physics megathread, but I assume it would continue emitting pulses of radiation at some interval, or perhaps it would just do so continuously, until the beryllium hemispheres melted and the assembly self-disassembled. Once the hemisphere geometry was affected enough the reaction would stop. It wouldn't explode like an atomic bomb; that requires much quicker assembly of a larger mass.

I like that 'test' a lot actually :3

but all I meant is that neutron radiation is "least bad" because of the array of particles they could be working with and using as a demonstrator and loving with criticality, neutron radiation was pretty mild.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I said "gross," not "tell me a bunch of poo poo I already know"

And don't go twisting my tits because of the phrasing you chose sounded a little off to at least two people, you loving turnip

Sorry, I just expect to be on defense on this topic because it's unconventional. Your comment didn't help. Sagebrush, however, eloquently painted the perfect tapestry of poo poo people who make survivors of practitioners of suicide look like garbage in just a few sentences. People either not caring enough beforehand to help, or understanding so little about their so-called friends that they don't understand what happened. They squeal afterwards "what about meeeeeeee!?" rather than accepting that maybe things in their friend or family member's life really were that bad and they just didn't care or notice; that whatever was happening wasn't inconsequential, even after the fact. I would have added "or have the capability to help or provide resources," but the squealers rarely care enough to get that far.

Their friend/family/lover died, and they want others to know how bad that person was and how terrible and selfish they acted and how it hurt them. Without ever once acknowledging why they might have gone through with it, or how long they had to carry whatever burden they were carrying.

I've seen it countless times, literally every time suicide is mentioned with acceptance. Those people are garbage and don't deserve to have the names of the people they survived in their mouth.

And none of this belongs in this thread. I got invested in a stupid topic that I am passionate about and I will gladly take a probe for it.

[WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY]

or whatever. Bottom text.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Someone should euthanize your keyboard, jesus christ

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There should be like an app service for assisted suicides. Like ordering an Uber, except it’s a guy coming over to kill you

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Collapsing Farts posted:

There should be like an app service for assisted suicides. Like ordering an Uber, except it’s a guy coming over to kill you

given the poo poo i order on uber eats i can only assume the drivers think i'm pursuing this path

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hehe

Demon Core go :wom:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CKjELxHhg

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Collapsing Farts posted:

Here you go: https://rentahitman.com/

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Jfc

I felt skeevy reading that last page

Please post memes not suicide navel gazings.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VROOM VROOM posted:

First thing my eye landed on was TransactionManagerRequest, which tracks

Please instantiate a TransactionManager so that I may speak to it

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Collapsing Farts posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/923980644245540866

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Not with that cup and saucer grip they're not.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CainFortea posted:

Not with that cup and saucer grip they're not.

You could grip it between your rear end cheeks and I doubt you could miss at 2 feet

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for all the orb pondering memes, I love them.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Guillermus posted:

Thanks for all the orb pondering memes, I love them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

What we are learning thanks to Corona

How exponential growth works
The Greek alphabet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wir lernen durch!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Data Graham posted:

Wir lernen durch!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sorry, I just expect to be on defense on this topic because it's unconventional. Your comment didn't help. Sagebrush, however, eloquently painted the perfect tapestry of poo poo people who make survivors of practitioners of suicide look like garbage in just a few sentences. People either not caring enough beforehand to help, or understanding so little about their so-called friends that they don't understand what happened. They squeal afterwards "what about meeeeeeee!?" rather than accepting that maybe things in their friend or family member's life really were that bad and they just didn't care or notice; that whatever was happening wasn't inconsequential, even after the fact. I would have added "or have the capability to help or provide resources," but the squealers rarely care enough to get that far.

Their friend/family/lover died, and they want others to know how bad that person was and how terrible and selfish they acted and how it hurt them. Without ever once acknowledging why they might have gone through with it, or how long they had to carry whatever burden they were carrying.

I've seen it countless times, literally every time suicide is mentioned with acceptance. Those people are garbage and don't deserve to have the names of the people they survived in their mouth.

And none of this belongs in this thread. I got invested in a stupid topic that I am passionate about and I will gladly take a probe for it.

[WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY]

or whatever. Bottom text.

There's no competition for highest username/post synergy, you can stop

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lmao.

E: re Kramer's orb.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
This will never be solved until they build the executing roller coaster, because everyone deserves a sick ride before the end.