Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Thanks for the replies all, that makes sense! Always learning something new.

if you're into YouTube at all and you want to learn about some more weird interactions and rules, check out Judging FTW. He explains everything from basic level questions (1 star) to extremely niche and complicated interactions between cards (4 stars), and he also makes in depth videos about mechanics and judging. lots of neat little fun facts that help to wrap your brain around the game's complexity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Re: Modern Belcher... why do people play Recross The Paths if Abundant Harvest does pretty much the same thing (for the deck) but 2 mana cheaper?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

Re: Modern Belcher... why do people play Recross The Paths if Abundant Harvest does pretty much the same thing (for the deck) but 2 mana cheaper?

Random order vs any order.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

"into hand" versus "into play"

e: nvm i forgot how belcher works

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Sickening posted:

Random order vs any order.

ah crap totally missed that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

ah crap totally missed that.

https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/belcher-is-back-a-quick-modern-goblin-charbelcher-update/

Okay write up.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah read up on it and was looking for a similar card because that one sounded similar to the one from modern horizons

the actual identical one is another card called abundance which is an enchantment that costs 4 mana that basically does the "same" trick but you'd have to wait until you drew a card and its also one mana more in cost so completely useless.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

In the beltcher deck, recross allows the player to order their entire deck after recross resolves, which usually means stacking the first 8 cards as follows:

Turntimbersymbiosis (to win the clash, then bottom it)
Reforge the soul
Desperate ritual
Desperate ritual
Ironcrag feat
Charbelcher
Manamorphose
Pact of negation

You can also put pact of the titan + infernal plunge depending on what was in your hand prior to Reforge the soul.

There's also kill with pyromancer's ascension and looping bala ged revival.

The deck seems neat as heck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's pretty funny that this NRG Trios event has Draft/Modern/Legacy. I guess paper standard is never coming back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty funny that this NRG Trios event has Draft/Modern/Legacy. I guess paper standard is never coming back.

It's amazing and I'm so mad I missed it.
(And instead cashed the modern challenge, at least :peanut:)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 28, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There’s like one LGS within an hour’s drive that does standard. It’s just kind of a boring format right now

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

mcmagic posted:

One of Germany's largest stores/retailers (think SCG) is doing a weekend event in January and they'll have Modern, Legacy, Pioneer and..."premodern." Yes, they're running some jank Mickey Mouse format over Standard. The whole thing will probably end up getting cancelled due to Corona anyways, but I thought it was funny.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Katana Gomai posted:

One of Germany's largest stores/retailers (think SCG) is doing a weekend event in January and they'll have Modern, Legacy, Pioneer and..."premodern." Yes, they're running some jank Mickey Mouse format over Standard. The whole thing will probably end up getting cancelled due to Corona anyways, but I thought it was funny.

Premodern is great. Its the solved format experience of standard at like thrice the price.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Katana Gomai posted:

Premodern is cool and good.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
premodern is in the op

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What are the decks to beat

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Looks decently diverse from a bit of googling?

https://mtgdecks.net/Premodern

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

What are the decks to beat

I think the best decks are Survival Elves and UW Standstill but there are a ton of other decks you can play and they are mostly fun and bad.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
is the pandeburst replenish any good in premodern? that was iirc the only combo deck that was banned from old extended but not from premodern.

also i wonder if nobody is playing it because it probably costs like $3,000 to build lol

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

https://twitter.com/StarCityBen/status/1465349059384909834?t=3amVPu-5yEKeaVW-JBqgBQ&s=19

Holy

E: The shocks too

https://twitter.com/StarCityBen/status/1465349169611214861?t=KtTUvdIxfGES3NqTp3nOXA&s=19

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when they announced they were doing another un-set with un-basics etc I was like "more un-lands? I'm happy with my unstable basics."

I was wrong, I was so wrong

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to hope this will push down the cost of shocks again so I can actually get a playset of all of them

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Holy hell. Would those un-set shocks be legal for tournaments?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Of course. Why would you ever think otherwise?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toshimo posted:

Of course. Why would you ever think otherwise?

...Because they're printed in an un-set?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yes, they don't have the new Acorn shaped foil stamp on the bottom that the new Unset will have (as the new unset is switching to black borders instead of silver)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

Yes, they don't have the new Acorn shaped foil stamp on the bottom that the new Unset will have (as the new unset is switching to black borders instead of silver)

Ty

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

AngryBooch posted:

Wait wait what, they're doing away with the silver borders? Balderdash!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/unfinity-and-beyond-2021-11-29

it was gestured at above but some of the cards including some new cards in Unfinity will be eternal-legal which is why they're doing acorn holomark/oval or no holomark to distinguish

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Are the stamps not making it to the cards still an issue?

E: lol at special foil shocklands, only available in collectors boosters, at 0.5/box.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 29, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

...Because they're printed in an un-set?

Check the border color.
I'm general all black/white bordered cards are legal.
But also every card that has a [format legal] printing can play any other copy of card interchangeably.
So you can play unset basics in standard, Tempest Goblin Bombardment in modern, and unstable Steamflogger Boss in TSP block constructed

E: oops they just changed the rules for unfunity so ignore border color and use card names.
A plains is a plains no matter what crazy set it's from

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 29, 2021

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The World Inferno posted:

Wait wait what, they're doing away with the silver borders? Balderdash!

People are going to freak when they realize that the new Unset has Black Borders and anything without the Acorn Holo (because the set has normal oval holos as well) are legal in Commander, Vintage, and Legacy according to WotC:

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1465347222833446923

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As someone that's played w/ silver border cards in cubes and casual decks for years now, sure why not. Still, kind of a bummer as the silver border looks beautiful.

Love love this art, but the border is definitely dropping the ball for that flat retro feel.

quote:

galaxy foil (the foil looks like stars in space; we aren't showing it off today but will show it off as we get closer to Unfinity's release)

lol, is mtg finally going to embrace Pokemon style foils?

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 29, 2021

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm sure I'll never need to actually investigate the shape of a holofoil in a tournament, but silver borders were cool and easier to pick out across the table than the shape of a 1cm shiny thing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Giant Teddy Bear's now legal in legacy formats! :toot:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cactrot posted:

I'm sure I'll never need to actually investigate the shape of a holofoil in a tournament, but silver borders were cool and easier to pick out across the table than the shape of a 1cm shiny thing.

I was going to ask if you really think someone is going to sneak an un-card into a tournament, but I remembered that I once judged a standard tournament - either provincials or regionals, so not a causal tourney - where someone was playing an illegal card that nobody noticed until round 6 or so.

(It was Stronghold Assassin which was in 7th edition but had rotated out by that point.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Silver borders ruled. They should have kept them

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Silver borders ruled. They should have kept them

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

I was going to ask if you really think someone is going to sneak an un-card into a tournament, but I remembered that I once judged a standard tournament - either provincials or regionals, so not a causal tourney - where someone was playing an illegal card that nobody noticed until round 6 or so.

(It was Stronghold Assassin which was in 7th edition but had rotated out by that point.)

If you're not running 5x Cheatyface in every deck you're playing MtG wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lone Goat posted:

I was being sincere, I don't think people will try to use un-set cards in a Legacy or Vintage tournament as a result of this change. I am also sure that they're going to print something in this set that will become expensive because it is playable in Legacy or Vintage, and people will assume (probably rightly) that it will never be reprinted because it showed up first in an un-set.