Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

10 Beers posted:

I've not played much but some friends have. I think you can just give away cars to people, but they're random. You can give a car to a friend, just whoever the game picks.

Yeah you can leave cars at gift points for other people to pick up, I'm just too lazy to do that without a cash reward. (except when I occasionally get the urge to curse randos with some anime-skinned ones :getin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

I do think its worth mentioning that Black and White (and its sequels) are the games where Game Freak decided to go all in on the story so there's a lot of cutscenes and events in the game.

Yeah I gave up on Black 2 because after the tour of the movie studios I was forced into a dumb battle minigame, then I had to go back to town to the docks because finally the ferryman was available only to be accosted by a group of bad guys who did more exposition yet again and fled after a single way too easy battle. Couldn't take the ferry yet, though! Had to backtrack the previous route to chase down one more bad guy and have a totally unnecessary battle, returned to the docks, finally got to take the boat only to arrive in a city just crammed with cutscenes and blablabla gently caress that. That was like 30 minutes of utter nonsense padding. Also the variety of pokemon up to that point sucks.

Fired up Pokemon X on a whim and I got a bad feeling when it started out with you meeting 5 friends and they talked a lot but they really just frontloaded all the info and then set you on your way. There's a ton of small QoL improvements and the variety of pokemon is good. It's especially nice to immediately be able to run without having to go through a running shoes cutscenes and getting the rollerblades in the second town was an awesome surprise. Also having one of your friends follow you through the first forest to heal your pokemon was a nice boost that let me get the 3 elemental monkeys and a pikachu and level them a bit without having to go back to town all the time. Pokemon X is actually what I was looking for.

On another note: I'm steadily making my way through Celeste after mastering the wavedash (thanks again for that tip, because it's super easy now!) and I think I'm nearing the end. I'm in a super long level now that revolves around the floating jellyfish and I really think they could've cut this in two levels. Dying near the end is such a drag. I'll get there though, just have to persevere.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like that your rival in Pokemon X/Y takes a pokemon your starter is strong against. Makes me feel like I'm bullying them whenever they show up.

They should get a different pokemon that's has no interactions with the types you get. Is there one? Maybe not. Maybe some Normal type thing that isn't lame. But when they show up and are like "hey man what's up bestie let's have a fun battle!" and I absolutely suplex them with elemental blasts and they're just, like, "ah neat that was fun getting my entire rear end handed to me talk to you later!" I just feel bad.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That really just goes with the whole pokemon vibe for me though. Everything is paradise on the surface but as soon as you spend a minute thinking about it you realize it's a hellish nightmare world.

Hey there random literal preschooler with a single rattata, that sure is a cute little pet you have. You must love him very much, don't you? Let me just loving destroy it real quick and take your money. Sorry, them's the rules!

I also love how everyone is super positive all the time and instills you with lessons like Love everyone! Difference is to be celebrated! Sometimes things are hard but you have friends to support you! while also dogfighting with super powered sentient beings on a daily basis.
That friend of yours that's literally 50% plant? Let's see how it does against a fire tornado summoned by a dragon.
Oh, your pokemon has dreams sometimes? My pokemon loves that! Because he's a ghost. That eats dreams.
You spent your entire life training up that squirtle you got as a kid and it's a powerful Blastoise now? Congrats! Let's see how it does against the literal god of creation pokemon I caught last week, or maybe I'll use this psychic science experiment that'll destroy its mind.

Another thing I thought about last week is how a lot of the pokemon are described in game by comparing them to real world animals. Like, this is a cow like pokemon, that one resembles a rat, etc. So they're aware that there's a real world with real animals? Also everyone loves eating sushi and meat so yeah.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Morpheus posted:

I don't like that your rival in Pokemon X/Y takes a pokemon your starter is strong against. Makes me feel like I'm bullying them whenever they show up.

They should get a different pokemon that's has no interactions with the types you get. Is there one? Maybe not. Maybe some Normal type thing that isn't lame. But when they show up and are like "hey man what's up bestie let's have a fun battle!" and I absolutely suplex them with elemental blasts and they're just, like, "ah neat that was fun getting my entire rear end handed to me talk to you later!" I just feel bad.

They used to take your weakness so you'd have to catch something to counter it, but I guess at some point they switched from "rival" to "chump who exists to make you feel better about yourself." Hau in XY honestly made me feel uncomfortable with how aggressively his entire shtick was "you're so cool, player, I'll never be as totally awesome as you."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I named my character Dude because that's whst I've always named them in pokemon games since I was 10 years old so now my nickname is Big D because that was one of the options lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Caphi posted:

They used to take your weakness so you'd have to catch something to counter it, but I guess at some point they switched from "rival" to "chump who exists to make you feel better about yourself." Hau in XY honestly made me feel uncomfortable with how aggressively his entire shtick was "you're so cool, player, I'll never be as totally awesome as you."

I don’t think I felt super uncomfortable but then again I didn’t have a strong counter to his Alola Raichu the first time he whipped it out and got swept for it. I had a Mudbray but it just got dropped before it could land an attack :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

I'll say one thing for Hop from Sword/Shield, he actually has a character arc based around dealing with getting his rear end beat over and over.

But it's all part of how the pokemon games have been balanced easier as the generations went on. I've been playing the new Diamond/Pearl remakes, and while they are mostly very faithful to the original games' structure, they have the XP share mechanic now, so in addition to the pokemon you had in the fight getting its full XP, everything else also gets half that XP. So your team gains ~3 times as much XP as they would have done doing the same things in the original game, without anything else being rebalanced around it, and you end up overlevelled very quickly if you're not going out of your way to switch up team members frequently.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
OH MY GOD this last boss in Trial Isle in Dragon Quest 11 is absolute bullshit. They get the first move, immediately try to beguile everyone, then the second guy starts turning everyone to gold, which it seems nothing can actually resist. I tried Serena's Snap Crackle Poof move, but I spend so much time healing everyone's health that I don't have time and even then it doesn't seem like it works against Gold unless it does and it just kept getting undone by everyone dying. It took me 64 moves out of the par 40. My average level is 75, but apparently that's not enough here. At least I had the good sense to unlock the high-tier horse races and get the Staff of Time blueprint on the first two trials though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Beating Dead Space 3 on Hardcore difficulty doesn't "unlock" your save file from the save deleting permadeath condition. So if you want to go back and get 100% completion on that file through chapter select and co op you'd better continue to not ever die!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Hooboy I just started Salt & Sanctuary and I was not expecting 2D Dark Souls. My main beef is that a ton of the hits feel “cheap” - bosses will hit you with some unavoidable attack and if you block it, you’re stunned because all your stamina is gone and the boss just chains straight into another attack while you’re defenseless. Hit boxes in this game are really goofy and mine seems to change based upon the enemy I’m fighting.

I’m like 3-4 bosses in and I’m not sure I have the patience for this. I don’t feel like I have enough control over my paladin-guy and boss encounters aren’t so much “git gud” as “get lucky”

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Nov 30, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ouch. Salt and Sanctuary is literally as directly 2D Dark Souls as you can get.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Caphi posted:

Hau is in Sun and Moon. Your rival in XY does choose the one you’re weak to

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In Kingdom Hearts III, I signed up for a lot of annoying poo poo like playing mini games of dubious, varying quality for ultimate weapons so I’m not gonna complain much about that.

But it is VERY rude that there’s a bizarre glitch that makes it so that if you pick up ingredients, die, and then pick Continue that the game thinks you already grabbed them. I mean, they made a whole patch to make controlling the character more fun, one glitch should be easy in comparison!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I picked up Arkham Knight and spent an hour or two in the arena mode instead of starting the game proper.

It seems like they added a medic enemy type and I really don’t like them. Their first gimmick is that they can revive people whom you have knocked out, this isn’t a huge issue on its own since I’m encountering them in an arena where people continually spawn in.

The real annoying part is they can use their defib on alive goons to give them an electric buff that means you can’t touch them, their attacks becomes unblockable until you take damage, and the thug becomes much much more aggressive. The animation of them doing this is so fast I couldn’t stop it if I wanted to. The only way I’ve found to dispel this as Batman is to hit someone with the batclaw which is hard to do when the person is standing in the middle 10 other goons and annoying when more than three guys have the buff. The games melee targeting also has no issues with locking onto the electrified goon, even if there is a normal one next to him.

It’s super annoying to have a good flow going, using my takedowns on medics as soon as they appear, only for me to not notice when another spawns, who then revives all the medics I killed, who then proceed to electrify half the group I’m fighting.

I’m sure this complaint only really applies to one gimmick combat mode but I love that mode and it sucks knowing I have to deal with medics from now on.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

moosecow333 posted:

I picked up Arkham Knight and spent an hour or two in the arena mode instead of starting the game proper.

It seems like they added a medic enemy type and I really don’t like them. Their first gimmick is that they can revive people whom you have knocked out, this isn’t a huge issue on its own since I’m encountering them in an arena where people continually spawn in.

The real annoying part is they can use their defib on alive goons to give them an electric buff that means you can’t touch them, their attacks becomes unblockable until you take damage, and the thug becomes much much more aggressive. The animation of them doing this is so fast I couldn’t stop it if I wanted to. The only way I’ve found to dispel this as Batman is to hit someone with the batclaw which is hard to do when the person is standing in the middle 10 other goons and annoying when more than three guys have the buff. The games melee targeting also has no issues with locking onto the electrified goon, even if there is a normal one next to him.

It’s super annoying to have a good flow going, using my takedowns on medics as soon as they appear, only for me to not notice when another spawns, who then revives all the medics I killed, who then proceed to electrify half the group I’m fighting.

I’m sure this complaint only really applies to one gimmick combat mode but I love that mode and it sucks knowing I have to deal with medics from now on.

If it helps, I got a long, long way into the actual game and I legit don't even remember medics.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

John Murdoch posted:

Ouch. Salt and Sanctuary is literally as directly 2D Dark Souls as you can get.

It’s still fun. I just have to put it down when I get mad at video games

Edit: I just unlocked giant smacky hammers and tier 2 prayer and now the game is a lot more manageable

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Nov 30, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Wildermyth is a decent enough game but the art is so off-putting I had to refund it

The game looks somewhere between a 2012 web comic and a children's book about parents divorcing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

moosecow333 posted:

The real annoying part is they can use their defib on alive goons to give them an electric buff that means you can’t touch them, their attacks becomes unblockable until you take damage, and the thug becomes much much more aggressive.
Do the ice gadgets help?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kruller posted:

If it helps, I got a long, long way into the actual game and I legit don't even remember medics.

Same.

I'm still wondering what OP is on about tbh because I just chain combos and wreck motherfuckers. I don't remember any healers at all. Not saying I don't believe the guy just that I never noticed what he's having trouble with. I guess just go gently caress up those medic dudes first right out the box? Or maybe put some gel or a prox bomb near them?

I dunno. I'll go check out a video since it's been a minute since I played.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've been playing it recently and yeah, medics are the top target. If you're doing stealth or open world stuff you can disable them before a fight (and they are usually the best targets for your disabling options) but it's not an option for the combat arena mode.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

moosecow333 posted:

If you hit the electrified guys with a batclaw slam move (batclaw and then attack to follow up), it’ll de-zap them and also interrupt any attacks coming your way (which the batclaw slam doesn’t normally do for other enemies). The game will also heavily prioritize them over other targets when you quickfire the claw.

e: vvv It's a decent stun but they stay electrified, batclaw's usually the better option.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Dec 1, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doesn't the taser gun also make them explode too?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One of the things I was looking forward to in Yakuza was having playable arcade games from each game's era in the Club Sega locations, but I just realized I'm five games in and haven't found one I like to play since Out Run in 0. I'm not mad, just disappointed :sigh:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Y0 has the greatest arcade game ever made, Fantasy Zone, but maybe you just missed it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

Y0 has the greatest arcade game ever made, Fantasy Zone, but maybe you just missed it.

I don't remember seeing that one, I'll have to go back and look since I kept the game install.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are games where there's main-content that should have been side-content?

I beat Mafia 3 and it has two flaws: the jank that comes from its troubled production, and the fact that it's a remake of Assassin's Creed 1.

In AC1 you must assassinate the bosses of nine districts. You go to a district and talk to the rafiq. This unlock a load of copy-pasted activities on the map, like flag-collecting or eavesdropping. After reaching a threshold of bullshit completed, not all them but most of them, you get to assassinate the bad guy in a dedicated mission that isnt copy-pasted. When the deed is done you talk to the rafiq again and head to the next district.

In Mafia 3 there are nine Mafia family members you must kill who govern nine districts. When you go to a district you talk to two contacts. Talking to these contacts unlocks a load of icons on the map that represent Mafia rackets. When you whittle away a rackets earnings to zero you talk to your contact, then face the racket boss. Some rackets are quicker to destroy than others and you dont need to do every map-icon. After killing or recruiting the two racket bosses you then confront the Mafia head in a dedicated mission.

The main quest alone takes thirty hours but you could shave a good ten off and make a tighter game. Just remove the racket bosses entirely and have you face a Mafia bosses after you cause enough damage to their district. A lot of the mandatory map-icons could have been made optional, like an enemy base in a Ubisoft product. The side-content is also padded with a ton of car-boosting jobs. The drunken Irish underboss you converse with asks for 15 goddamn cars. The mechanics of the game are sound, its just that its presented in a boring manner a lot of the time. Collectibles are also useless because they dont unlock perks or any achievements.

The thing is that despite the above Mafia 3 is actually really good. Take Far Cry 5 by comparison.

In M3 you spends ages dismantling a Mafia empire so you can take your revenge on the bad guy and gut him like a fish. In FC5 you spend ages dismantling a cult only for the bad guy to randomly win at the end thanks to a nuclear deus-ex-machina.

The cutscenes and performances in M3 are gold. The setpieces that cap off racket grinding are great, like the one where you bomb a steamboat in a bayou, causing all the wealthy passengers to go overboard and get eaten by alligators.

The story in FC5 is a complete waste as it hinges on you getting kidnapped nine times so a soft-spoken idiot can lecture you in a drug trip.

M3 does not shy away from the politics of playing a black protagonist in the deeply-racist south in 1968. The cops are always suspicious of you, you get at yelled at for walking into whites-only businesses, and you have to slaughter klansmen and confederates by the dozen. N****r is a common word, ahead of spic and wop.

FC5 takes place in the south and the villains are a cult, yet they never discuss Christianity nor exhibit any racism despite cribbing heavily from real-life preppers. FC5 wants to have a message without being seen as political in any way. That's just trying to have your cake and gently caress it too.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Dec 1, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FC5 takes place in the south

Nitpick, but FC5 is in Montana.

Though I also wouldn't be all that surprised if Ubisoft just sort of gestured vaguely at the US and said "y'know, hicks!"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just picked up Blood: Fresh Supply on steam for like 3 dollars.

Good lord I forgot how annoying hit scan enemies hiding behind every single corner of a map is. Caleb still has the best lines though. Him cackling after flinging napalm into a group of cultists is as amazing as ever.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Batman, it's me the Riddler! My riddle is drive around this racetrack three times in your car.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just picked up Blood: Fresh Supply on steam for like 3 dollars.

Good lord I forgot how annoying hit scan enemies hiding behind every single corner of a map is. Caleb still has the best lines though. Him cackling after flinging napalm into a group of cultists is as amazing as ever.

You can use the Made To Order difficulty setting to adjust the accuracy and reaction speed of the hitscanners in Fresh Supply. It's a godsend.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

moosecow333 posted:

Batman, it's me the Riddler! My riddle is drive around this racetrack three times in your car.

I love Catwoman's lines in that game, like when her and Batman are dodging sawblades in the riddler's lair she's just like "HOW IS THIS EVEN A RIDDLE?!" Then later in that same puzzle she just reiterates "Still not a riddle, Eddie!" To be fair though by Knight it's obvious that Edward Nigma has actually regressed way beyond his original mania. Before he was narcissistic but his riddles in some way made sense - now his thoughts are so disordered he genuinely thinks that a child could solve his new "riddles" the way he wants them to be solved. Before he was just an rear end in a top hat, now he has ACTUALLY gone genuinely insane in such a way that he can't even take care of himself anymore.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Dec 2, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also while it's a thin excuse, I do appreciate that Eddie points out that the races are so he can gain intel on the Batmobile.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's legit the genius of the Riddler imo. He is realistically flawed in mentality. He captures that kind of person we all know or maybe even are one of- because in real life it's a good thing -where every single thing you do is multipurpose to the point where it can be self-sabotaging. They play into that as his main character trait whereas it's just something that happens to other villains and can be overcome. He will never win, because those kinds of people set themselves up for failure and don't realize it. You were gonna complete that term paper about Egypt, but you turned in crappy work because you got distracted by learning about the history of Egypt. You were gonna kill the bat man, but you sadly were also collecting info on Batman's sweet jiu-jitsu.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Dec 2, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

That's legit the genius of the Riddler imo. He is realistically flawed in mentality. He captures that kind of person we all know or maybe even are one of- because in real life it's a good thing -where every single thing you do is multipurpose to the point where it can be self-sabotaging. They play into that as his main character trait whereas it's just something that happens to other villains and can be overcome. He will never win, because those kinds of people set themselves up for failure and don't realize it. You were gonna complete that term paper about Egypt, but you turned in crappy work because you got distracted by learning about the history of Egypt. You were gonna kill the bat man, but you sadly were also collecting info on Batman's sweet jiu-jitsu.

Too bad this manifests in Knight as lovely gameplay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're so goddamn right :negative:

edit: For what it's worth it has manifested in comics as lovely writing for like 30 years so it's about the same ratio when you compare the good appearances to bad

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The races are silly but they're short and (when you switch to first person mode) easy enough without being completely trivial. It's the rest of his bullshit that starts to drag.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I love Catwoman's lines in that game, like when her and Batman are dodging sawblades in the riddler's lair she's just like "HOW IS THIS EVEN A RIDDLE?!" Then later in that same puzzle she just reiterates "Still not a riddle, Eddie!" To be fair though by Knight it's obvious that Edward Nigma has actually regressed way beyond his original mania. Before he was narcissistic but his riddles in some way made sense - now his thoughts are so disordered he genuinely thinks that a child could solve his new "riddles" the way he wants them to be solved. Before he was just an rear end in a top hat, now he has ACTUALLY gone genuinely insane in such a way that he can't even take care of himself anymore.
I really don't like it when games does this. The lovely riddles in Arkham Knight doesn't get better just because they added some jokes. If anything it makes it worse because it shows that developers knew that a section would be bad, but they decided to keep it anyway.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They're not nudge-winking about the levels being bad (I would bet they hoped people would enjoy the levels) they're nudge-winking about them being levels, as opposed to the Riddler asking you what's black and white and red all over and leaving you to pixel hunt for a newspaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The man added riddles that are just races. He's not The Riddler anymore, he's Sidequest Man