Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

John really should've done a better job saving that Leno money. He probably didn't anticipate the divorce but he had to have known that gig wasn't gonna last decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
John is an idiot. He overvalued himself and was super aggressive with his money. It seemed to pay off in the early 2000s, but the recession wiped out most "easy money" and I'm sure that hit him hard. He probably assumed he was going to be making at least $400k/year going forward and bought a nice LA house in a strong market. Two years later, Leno gives him the boot and he can't find other work because he never accomplished anything. Recession hits, he has a house underwater with no way of paying for it long term, wife leaves, etc.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

haljordan posted:

John really should've done a better job saving that Leno money. He probably didn't anticipate the divorce but he had to have known that gig wasn't gonna last decades.

I know stuff on the air gets exaggerated but the way they talked about how he treated Suzanner it seemed inevitable they would divorce.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Two Kings posted:

I know stuff on the air gets exaggerated but the way they talked about how he treated Suzanner it seemed inevitable they would divorce.

He treated her like a servant and I'm glad she cleaned him out

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Eric was funny when he was mad, but he was funniest when they'd accidentally leave him on the line and every 25 minutes or so he'd say something "I loved.....the....Carrie...Underwood...concert" or some other benign comment about 2000-ish pop culture

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Why did Leno hire him anyway? I started listening after John left and my understanding is that he hired him to be his announcer and maybe do some topical comedy writing? Like, what was the draw that made Leno say "I must have this man on on my team."

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
He left in 2004. Originally the Leno writers wanted John to do goofy celebrity interviews like on Stern but Howard squashed that.

He was on a bad ABC show “I’m a celebrity get my out of here” and did a segment with Leno to promote and did really well. I think Leno was trying anything to spice up the show and get a younger audience.

It still remains one of most inexplicably moves in TV history. But it did give us Niggerless Cage and Pameler Anderson.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

haljordan posted:

What is an "unpopular" opinion you have of the show? For me, it's not finding any of Gilbert's appearances funny. I don't know what it is, but as soon as Dracula Gilbert comes on a mix, I hit fast forward.

I never got or understood the appeal of anything Eric.

Each Gilbert appearance was the peak of the show though. Top 50 Stern moments would be 50 Gilbert segments.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Two Kings posted:

He left in 2004. Originally the Leno writers wanted John to do goofy celebrity interviews like on Stern but Howard squashed that.

How did that happen?

some bust on that guy posted:

I never got or understood the appeal of anything Eric.

As a massive ETA fan, I can sort of still understand this. He's an annoying, ungrateful, stupid, horrible, loud-mouth lovely penis, but it was always fascinating how little he really understood about everything, despite somehow being smart in other ways. The guy had ZERO social awareness. He could tell you historical facts, but had no idea when he was clearly being goofed on. He seemed to have an encyclopedic knowledge of reality TV poo poo, and then would struggle with 9 x 7. Like... HOW?!

He wasn't always screaming, which is more than I can say about Elliot Offen, so there were dynamics in his appearances. You'd have the Carrie Underwood call, and then you'd have zero point zero. The entire In Plain Sight saga. The bunny ranch. "You know what to do".

Johnny, I couldn't stand. Not one bit.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

im dreaming of a white penis, just like the ones I used to blow.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

quack quack quack quack

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Barreft posted:

im dreaming of a white penis, just like the ones I used to blow.

This is officially the time of year when I walk around singing this and Brad's Big Balls all day for a month.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How did that happen?

He was making more money from Howard and his appearances around the show than the limited work Leno would have paid. They only wanted to bring him on as a corespondent on occasion (really just ripping off his most famous role on Howard) and that would have killed off his primary sources of income. So instead Leno fired his announcer because... just an announcer and gave the money to John assuming that he would contribute sketches and some writing. Instead he was just a lovely announcer and didn't provide any comedy so was fired just 2 years in to his 3 year contract.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lifespan posted:

He was making more money from Howard and his appearances around the show than the limited work Leno would have paid. They only wanted to bring him on as a corespondent on occasion (really just ripping off his most famous role on Howard) and that would have killed off his primary sources of income. So instead Leno fired his announcer because... just an announcer and gave the money to John assuming that he would contribute sketches and some writing. Instead he was just a lovely announcer and didn't provide any comedy so was fired just 2 years in to his 3 year contract.

They must have been dumb enough to believe John when he claimed that he had some kind of creative role with his interviews. All his questions were written by Fred and Jackie, and it pissed him off when Howard would point that out. :jj:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I don't understand. John worked for The Tonight Show as the announcer from 2004 until Jay left for the prime time show in 2009, and then back to late night as a supposed writer until 2014.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Very nice of him to put divorce and witness protection material in the same neat little package.

How did that happen?

As a massive ETA fan, I can sort of still understand this. He's an annoying, ungrateful, stupid, horrible, loud-mouth lovely penis, but it was always fascinating how little he really understood about everything, despite somehow being smart in other ways. The guy had ZERO social awareness.

Thinking that Katharine McPhee, Diana deGarmo, and Diana deGarmo's mom actually wanted to hear from him more than once was just beyond awkward. :doh:

quote:

Johnny, I couldn't stand. Not one bit.

I finally listened, in chronological order, to the clips where Johnny tries to get Eric to plug this strip club that he went to, and holy hell. He was just such a pushy sketchy rear end in a top hat in everything that he did, and he would have ruined Eric if Eric hadn't already been so god drat funny.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

YeahTubaMike posted:

Very nice of him to put divorce and witness protection material in the same neat little package.

He also had one that I only heard Howard play a second or two of before cutting it off. To the tune of Bon Jovi's "It's My Life", Sal's song was "Beat My Wife".

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

prefect posted:

He also had one that I only heard Howard play a second or two of before cutting it off. To the tune of Bon Jovi's "It's My Life", Sal's song was "Beat My Wife".

https://soundcloud.com/ken-hames/3-2-09-beat-my-wife-sal-song

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:cawg:

Yep, that's the one. "I want to punch her 'til she shits out her bones", and he sounds angry as hell, like he's not really joking.

:tipshat:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For all of Howard's faults, he really hit the nail on the head when it came to John, Jackie, and Nancy Siriani Martling. All delusional people who are nothing without the show.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Not condoning violence against women in any way, but Christine is as bad a human being as Sal is.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Not condoning violence against women in any way, but Christine is as bad a human being as Sal is.

Is she? I'm not trying to be obtuse or anything, I honestly don't remember. I just know that putting up with Sal must take a lot of effort.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Aside from Sal's Booey songs, his two parodies about his wife (the Bon Jovi and Sinatra parodies) are the best things he intentionally did for the show.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

It's cool.

The Emotional Friend (143) saga aside, I recall Sal saying many times that she spends like he's still a successful stock broker and is very materialistic. The few times she was on the show she was really lovely toward him and you could tell had zero respect for him.

The two should have divorced a long time ago because I'm sure there's years of belittling and emotion abuse on both parts. I feel bad for the kids.

Sal is a jerk, sure, and I'm positive its hard to have him as a partner but its not excuse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

prefect posted:

"I want to punch her 'til she shits out her bones"

Horrifying as the idea of a guy singing gleefully about beating his wife is, this is a hilarious turn of phrase.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Aside from Sal's Booey songs, his two parodies about his wife (the Bon Jovi and Sinatra parodies) are the best things he intentionally did for the show.

The only Sinatra parody by Sal that I know is Fly Me with Balloons.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sal's prank calls suck too. He uses the same "actors" over and over again and it's always pranking a pizza place or racism.

Richard can get just as disusing but he can also make funny ones that are totally clean.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Sal's prank calls suck too. He uses the same "actors" over and over again and it's always pranking a pizza place or racism.

Richard can get just as disusing but he can also make funny ones that are totally clean.

Wrestlers, device functionality, god blessing god.... Beautiful work.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Ooh, maybe that's my unpopular opinion: that prank calls are literally never funny.

edit: kind of late for the discussion, but whatever

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
yeah the one time I heard Christine on-air (maybe it was during the 143 thing) and they were asking her normal questions, I distinctly remember listening to her talk and saying "Jesus loving Christ, this might be one of the dumbest people on the planet". wish I could remember the context

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

kylej posted:

For all of Howard's faults, he really hit the nail on the head when it came to John, Jackie, and Nancy Siriani Martling. All delusional people who are nothing without the show.

Nancy claiming she worked 18 hour days handling Jackie's crap was really funny

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

The only Sinatra parody by Sal that I know is Fly Me with Balloons.

Here's the other Sinatra song parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaShH-FSnlI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ooh, maybe that's my unpopular opinion: that prank calls are literally never funny.

edit: kind of late for the discussion, but whatever

Ooooof, Mike... Tuba..... Yeah, you cut me deep.

But I sort of get it. Honestly, when it comes to literally any other prank calls, I don't care about them, don't find them funny. There's something about Richard And Sal's work that endears me to those calls.

You don't even like the No Gravity opus? At all? The Langford 300? Busting on Jonah's bullshit shows? Nothing?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
saying that "all prank calls are never funny" isn't an unpopular opinion it's just outright bullshit exaggerating. lowest common deniner

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I didn't know that was Sinatra, lol

Ooooof, Mike... Tuba..... Yeah, you cut me deep.

But I sort of get it. Honestly, when it comes to literally any other prank calls, I don't care about them, don't find them funny. There's something about Richard And Sal's work that endears me to those calls.

You don't even like the No Gravity opus? At all? The Langford 300? Busting on Jonah's bullshit shows? Nothing?

I don't know the prank calls by name or anything, I have just never heard a prank call that I found funny even after listening to a shitload of them

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't know that was Sinatra, lol

I don't know the prank calls by name or anything, I have just never heard a prank call that I found funny even after listening to a shitload of them

I'm making those names up based on the content, that's all.

No Gravity Opus: Richard and Sal relentlessly busting the balls of the host of that variety show, Hugs for Harlem, when he had some band called No Gravity on. The guys went through so many drops and wack packers. Riley, Ronnie, Elliott, Mike Walker... it was beautiful. Ball busting at level red.

Langford 300: when Richard and Sal used clips of Sour Shoes singing about Steve Langford to prank Langford himself, up to 300 times per day.

And also when they bothered Jonah Falcon until he went off the air for like 6 months, and the MOMENT he comes back on, Richard and Sal are there, day 1, to continue to ruin his day.

I never found any of the Jerky Boys stuff funny, and like I said, I only really enjoy Stern prank calls because I know who's involved, or where the drops come from.

"Can I tell you my favourite Matt Dillon story, real briefly?"

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 29, 2021

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I always liked when they would quiz Sal on like basic pop culture and he just literally had no frame of reference for anything.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I do think Sal plays dumb on things to get more airtime.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The No Gravity guy sounding like Count Dracula was my favorite part of those calls.

"CHILL OUT. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE."

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
What I like are we can all have differing opinions on what we liked about the show. ETM and Artie are my favs, but I completely understand how someone would dislike or even hate anything with them in it. I hate anything with KOAB/Underdog lady/Debbie the pet lady/and a couple others, but respect how others might find them funny/good. Whatever takes our minds off how the world is going to poo poo, and makes us laugh sounds good to me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

What I like are we can all have differing opinions on what we liked about the show. ETM and Artie are my favs, but I completely understand how someone would dislike or even hate anything with them in it. I hate anything with KOAB/Underdog lady/Debbie the pet lady/and a couple others, but respect how others might find them funny/good. Whatever takes our minds off how the world is going to poo poo, and makes us laugh sounds good to me right now.

I don't mind Underdog lady but I hate how Shuli, that no talent rear end clown, used her to get a bunch of airtime