Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

shame on an IGA posted:

uhh if you click through to the article he's saying he thinks Qanon is a CIA false flag to distract weak minded fools with hanging around dealy plaza instead of taking up arms and doing his coup and he's very disappointed in his cowardly useful idiots

soo... no, not tight

Oh word you thought I was serious about it being tight? That is tight too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

CommieGIR posted:

We ended up owing some taxes from a couple years back, and they were VERY reasonable with us and friendly.

The tax office in the UK is the same in general, they don't like loving over people who'll probably pay more tax later when they get in trouble. On the other hand if you try and rip them off, good loving luck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

uhh if you click through to the article he's saying he thinks Qanon is a CIA false flag to distract weak minded fools with hanging around dealy plaza instead of taking up arms and doing his coup and he's very disappointed in his cowardly useful idiots

soo... no, not tight

Is this going to circle back into another attempt on Gulen

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shame on an IGA posted:

soo... no, not tight

Now I have to wonder how much of what he says is brain worms and how much is a retired 3 star intelligence officer using conspiracy theories to organize a coup.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The most likely response is going to be the most boring - vaccines and boosters will probably do plenty, with the addition that boosters could be hyper-powerful:

https://twitter.com/saletan/status/1465003053141184526

So in the absence of supply issues, all of humankind will basically have a choice on if they're going to get COVID, get vaccine-reduced COVID, or get lucky-ish and have vaccines prevent your COVID. Believing in idiots will move you to the left, getting out in front will bring you to the right. Everyone's going to either get it or have vaccines knock it down/eliminate it, there's no real alternate choice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

Now I have to wonder how much of what he says is brain worms and how much is a retired 3 star intelligence officer using conspiracy theories to organize a coup.

"Which one of these scams is the most likely to succeed, seeing as I've got no outs left other than to dig myself deeper into this pit?"

Speaking of hucksters talking about the viral end of the world, what's Ken Alibek been up to?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There's a name from the vaults.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

This seems like bait for making a really bad joke.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Gabbard is just a republican who happens to be part of a political dynasty in a very blue state and so has to be a democrat. Glenn is a libertarian who is married to a socdem. I don't think he's ever claimed to be a democrat at all.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 28, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

She's even worse than Alan Colmes at playing the "opposition" role
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1463926754616111105

She sucks so much

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Governor of Texas put up shipping containers under a bridge to stop migrants from coming over the Rio Grande. Predictably, they went around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugLnYZpwE44

I'm just waiting to see how long before one of the TX ARNG guys shoots someone. Putting them down there with loaded weapons is asking for trouble.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:hmmyes: surely 300 linear feet of cargo boxes is the insurmountable obstacle that will stop people who already walked from El Salvador

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 29, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's because it would clearly work against the average texan

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

:hmmyes: surely 300 linear feet of cargo boxes is the insurmountable obstacle that will stop people who already walked from El Salvador

They misunderstood the “three hundred foot” wall in Game of Thrones.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Waiting for the first O3 to misplace their side arm and ordering every shipping container checked.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
How far-right extremist groups face exposure from army of hacktivists
Data leaks and breaches by so-called ‘ethical hackers’ – often assisted by poor security practices – have exposed inner workings of groups and the nature of the movement as a whole

quote:

hroughout 2021, websites associated with far-right extremist groups and extremist-friendly platforms and hosts have suffered from data leaks and breaches that have exposed the inner workings of far-right groups, and the nature of the movement as a whole.

The data has been exfiltrated in breaches engineered by so-called “ethical hackers” – often assisted by poor security practices from website administrators – and by activists who have penetrated websites in search of data and information.

Experts and activists say that attacks on their online infrastructure is likely to continue to disrupt and hamper far-right groups and individuals and makes unmasking their activities far more likely – often resulting in law enforcement attention or loss of employment.

Numerous far-right groups have suffered catastrophic data breaches this year, in perhaps a reflection of a lack of technical expertise among such activists. Jim Salter, a systems administrator and tech journalist, said: “Extremists, and extremist-friendly entities, have a noticeable shortage of even-tempered, thoughtful people doing even-tempered, thoughtful work at securing sites and managing personnel.”

There are many examples.

In the wake of the 6 January attacks, the Guardian reported on the leak from American Patriots III% website, which allowed the entire membership of the organization to be identified.

In that case, poor website configuration had allowed savvy researchers to view and republish the information on the open web.

In July, another organization affiliated with the Three Percenters, which monitoring organizations classify as an anti-government group or a component of the militia movement, had internal chats leaked which reportedly exhibited a “thirst for violence”.

Then, in September, it emerged that the website of anti-government group the Oath Keepers, was comprehensively breached, with membership lists, emails, and what appeared to be the entire content of their server suddenly put on public display.

The data exfiltrated from that site was widely reported on, coming at a time when members of the organization were facing charges or on trial for their role in the attack on the US Capitol on 6 January.

The Guardian reported that the breach showed that the group had enjoyed a surge in membership after the events of that day.

Another neo-confederate group with extremist connections, the Sons of Confederate Veterans, had its entire membership list exposed this year, after a self-described “hacktivist” provided the data to the Guardian.

Although there were many such breaches and leaks this year, 2021 could be seen as the year in which a wave of anti-fascist cyber-activism crested.

In recent years, extremist groups including Patriot Front and The Base have had internal communications revealed by infiltrators.

Independent news organization Unicorn Riot has published dozens of chats from far-right groups leaked from Discord, a chat application created for gamers that came to be a platform favoured by extremists, including for the planning of the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville in 2017.

The hacking is even more significant as recently mainstream social media and chat platforms like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter have – with varying degrees of enthusiasm – moved to exclude extremists from their platforms.

Events like Unite the Right and the Capitol attack brought pressure to bear on platforms including Discord, which banned hundreds of extremist servers during 2021.

The intermittent crackdowns have led some extremists to flock to so-called “alt-tech” platforms, which reproduce some of the functions of big tech sites while advertising themselves to the far right with “free speech” policies. But these platforms, too, have come under attack by hacktivists in 2021.

In the days leading up to the Capitol riot, Parler, a Twitter-like site which had advertised itself as an online home for the Trumpist right, leaked account details, videos, posts and other materials.

Following the riot, Parler data was used to identify participants in the rally, and others who had entered the Capitol building.

Then, in March, Gab, a platform which had long played host to extremists who had been banned from other platforms, was also hacked.

Gab had achieved notoriety for, among other things, being the venue where Robert Bowers announced his intention to attack the Tree of Life synagogue in October 2018.

At the time of the breach, the Guardian reported that the data revealed the email addresses and other personal details of thousands of users, including Gab’s investors and verified accounts.

It also showed direct messages between Gab CEO, Andrew Torba, and a QAnon influencer, Richard Cornero Jr, who came to prominence under the alias Neon Revolt.

The hack was attributed to Gab’s introduction of security vulnerabilities into their own platform in their adaptation of an open source social media application for their own use.

Then, in September, domain name registrar and web hosting provider, Epik, had the entire contents of its home server repeatedly breached.

Epik had offered services of last resort to groups like neo-Nazi podcasters, The Right Stuff; sites like QAnon hub and extremist playground, 8chan; and even, for a time, Gab itself.

CEO Rob Monster built up his business by promising an anything goes platform for such groups. The Guardian’s inspection of the data reveals that Monster – who has worked as a broker of domain names – had also speculatively snapped up dozens of domains which invoked the code words and preoccupations of the QAnon movement.

Megan Squire, senior fellow in data analytics at the Southern Poverty Law Center, agreed with Salter’s assessment of the level of technical talent on the far right when it comes to security online. She said: “A lot of the people who are actually qualified to do this work are not going to be willing to work with these people.”

While “the hacktivist ethos is alive and well on the left”, Salteradded, extremist-friendly hosts like Epik are unable to hire the personnel who might help them create a defensive capacity. She described Epik’s data design as poor. “I haven’t seen anything that bad in my entire career,” she said,

Salter said that any talented technologists on the far right “tend to be clustered heavily around more offensive roles attacking others rather than defending – and far more importantly, day to day managing – their own infrastructure.”

Given this deficit, and the surge of hacktivism on the left, breaches like those seen in the last year seem set to continue, she added.

Hacktivists doing god's work. Also it seems like every single thing the alt-right and ultra conservatives and Trumpers do has hilariously bad cyber security and basically leave open windows and doors everywhere.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Bored As gently caress posted:

How far-right extremist groups face exposure from army of hacktivists
Data leaks and breaches by so-called ‘ethical hackers’ – often assisted by poor security practices – have exposed inner workings of groups and the nature of the movement as a whole

Hacktivists doing god's work. Also it seems like every single thing the alt-right and ultra conservatives and Trumpers do has hilariously bad cyber security and basically leave open windows and doors everywhere.

Well, that is no suprise. Most of the people I know who work in anything related to cybersec, myself included, want absolutely nothing to do with a bunch of loony, toxic racists. Add to this the unwillingness of Trump to actually pay anyone anything and you have a mess that draws hucksters and people who think they are hot poo poo in the field, not the actually very expensive pros.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I am not a sovereign citizen.

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1465330479884906503

I am a citizen that is sovereign! There's a difference!

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1465333329364979717

AM I BEING DETAINED, JESUS CHRIST IS MY SUPERSTAR

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1465334621059624970

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In this case he’s released with a gps ankle bracelet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BTW - GPS monitoring is a cost born by the accused. In FL it can run over $300/mo for the privilege of having some lovely ankle bracelet that has to be plugged in 90% of the time because the batteries are poo poo and if you leave it offline for too long you go back to jail.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand how Public Defenders don't regularly murder the clients they get stuck with.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

BTW - GPS monitoring is a cost born by the accused. In FL it can run over $300/mo for the privilege of having some lovely ankle bracelet that has to be plugged in 90% of the time because the batteries are poo poo and if you leave it offline for too long you go back to jail.

Hmmmmm, I need to market battery banks that strap to your leg like a cholostemy bag to florida.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CainFortea posted:

Hmmmmm, I need to market battery banks that strap to your leg like a cholostemy bag to florida.

Better yet find a way that that piss can charge it and boom you've now disrupted the GPS Bail and Colostomy Industry! :v:

Also :lol: we took his gold and silver.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1465336456872869893?s=20

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 29, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also :lol: we took his gold and silver.
How loving perfect is it that this idiot plays Judas? They took his 30 pieces.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stealie72 posted:

How loving perfect is it that this idiot plays Judas? They took his 30 pieces.

Haha really? I was thinking that would just be too on the nose...but it's 2021 and nothing is still too on the nose.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's how much Jack Dorsey (now-former CEO of twitter) sucks:

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1465347002426867720

https://twitter.com/ritholtz/status/1465327857752842240

"Cryptobro quits twitter"

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 29, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

He's still going to lurk and post because he hasn't been banned by his replacement yet.

Wonder what his goldbelly order looks like.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It's good that hackers keep infiltrating these far right groups, but not good that law enforcement doesn't care about these groups and is also a non-significant part of their membership and that like, nearly nothing is being done to stop these groups from doing what they're doing despite DHS and before that the FBI having been signaling they're all bad for what, three decades?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Law enforcement cares deeply about these groups: they support them.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The proud boys are probably 50% fed at this point but for ~some reason~ they're still out there doing street crimes without impediment or jail time. It was the same deal with the KKK. Left groups get infiltrated and destroyed. Right groups get infiltrated and allowed to continue doing terrorism. Almost as if...

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2017/dec/08/fbi-kkk/

quote:

In testimony before the Church Committee, the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Deputy Director acknowledged that the Bureau at one point made up as much as one-fifth of the Klu Klux Klan’s total membership - but were still powerless to curtail the KKK’s violence. His testimony also acknowledged police participation in said violence, and that the Bureau had three times as many “ghetto informants” as they did those targeting white supremacist domestic terrorists.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah he's awful although it was amusing when Alex Jones did everything he could to violated TOS to get perma'ed and it didn't happen until he confronted Jack in person.

Him leaving feels like when the Uber CEO was forced out and he took his billions to decompress on a yacht. I don't think these people are learning any lessons.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What was the local PD that had 3% insignias on their cars recently?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Works posted:

What was the local PD that had 3% insignias on their cars recently?

Most of them?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

facialimpediment posted:

Am I missing something? It looks like he's leaving on his terms with a solid succession plan and not sticking around to micromanage from behind the scenes, all good things for a publicly traded company.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

Well, that is no suprise. Most of the people I know who work in anything related to cybersec, myself included, want absolutely nothing to do with a bunch of loony, toxic racists. Add to this the unwillingness of Trump to actually pay anyone anything and you have a mess that draws hucksters and people who think they are hot poo poo in the field, not the actually very expensive pros.

eh... I'm more willing to say cybersec, especially offensive guys, are a grab bag. There's a lot of people in the field willing to help assholes so long as the boat money clears and they're not all gormless hucksters either, the saving grace is as you said their inability to pay reasonable rates for it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

lightpole posted:

Am I missing something? It looks like he's leaving on his terms with a solid succession plan and not sticking around to micromanage from behind the scenes, all good things for a publicly traded company.

jack sucks rear end and his leaving of the company is likely nothing but a positive thing for everyone involved

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Defenestrategy posted:

eh... I'm more willing to say cybersec, especially offensive guys, are a grab bag. There's a lot of people in the field willing to help assholes so long as the boat money clears and they're not all gormless hucksters either, the saving grace is as you said their inability to pay reasonable rates for it.

Article explicitly says that the talented chuds are all clustered on the offensive side, making their ability to defend p poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

He’s been publicly a dumbass (I am sure he is very smart at various things, but a marvel PhD of biochemistry can still be a dumbass online), Twitter stock has tanked about 1/5 of its value in the last quarter, and some big investors wanted a CEO that only does Twitter instead of side cryptocurrency projects.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

a marvel PhD of biochemistry can still be a dumbass online)

Just quote me if you wanna talk poo poo on me bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
jack is what happens when you take a CEO, add stupid crypto bullshit, and give him a healthy dose of woo

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/13/twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-spent-his-birthday-on-a-silent-meditation-trip.html

turns out, it leads to a lot of fascists and nazis infesting the website as you really don't give a gently caress and would rather meditate on it

Zuckfuck is very similar, except his health dose of woo is huffing his own farts