Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Frog Act posted:

I think there's definitely something to that, but I also think that there's a big untapped market of people who either used to play MMOs and yearn for a return to the golden age, and a big contingent of younger gamers who have never been introduced to the genre but would probably go bonkers and spend the ten thousand hours they'd have otherwise spent in LoL or something playing Everquest 3.

you used LoL as an example but I think the best bet for that would be exactly the MMO Riot is working on currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am enjoying myth of empires too much despite the bad translation.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
The funniest thing about the whole "MMOs used to have a community, back in the Good Ole Days" is I clearly remember hearing the same old song and dance in the UO newsgroups on Usenet:
Things like "I've got a house but I never see my neighbours, towns are full of people spamming VENDOR BANK BUY GUARDS macros, and the only people I see in the world either run away from me or it's Boned00d casting Corp Por then looting my corpse. I miss playing Meridian 59 when everyone on the server knew everyone else"

And then in Everquest: "How can you have a community with no houses and no world pvp? It's just temporary groups coming and going in camps and dungeons. I miss UO - you knew people on your server there"
And then in Vanilla WoW: "How can you have a community when everyone can solo and the dungeons are instanced? At least you knew people in EQ because you had to group to do anything"

And so on.

Nostalgia is the most insidious of poisons. :v:

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Itzena posted:

The funniest thing about the whole "MMOs used to have a community, back in the Good Ole Days" is I clearly remember hearing the same old song and dance in the UO newsgroups on Usenet:
Things like "I've got a house but I never see my neighbours, towns are full of people spamming VENDOR BANK BUY GUARDS macros, and the only people I see in the world either run away from me or it's Boned00d casting Corp Por then looting my corpse. I miss playing Meridian 59 when everyone on the server knew everyone else"

And then in Everquest: "How can you have a community with no houses and no world pvp? It's just temporary groups coming and going in camps and dungeons. I miss UO - you knew people on your server there"
And then in Vanilla WoW: "How can you have a community when everyone can solo and the dungeons are instanced? At least you knew people in EQ because you had to group to do anything"

And so on.

I think that is a very valid point - peeps are never satisfied with what they have basically.

If you were to start playing an MMO now what would you recommend? I'm going to have a chunk of spare time on my hands shortly (gardening leave) and will be looking foe something to play (not WoW though)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
FF14 if you want a good game. New World if you wanna be on the bleeding edge of the MMO of the Month.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So if anyone gets myth of empires, we got a small guild on server 2408 that is at mid game. We get to change guild names every week but we are the largest one there currently named DoomII.

So far the game is pretty fun but it is basically chinese age of conan.

You got pve servers and pvp but in any case, the server cluster we are on, 24, has a pvp instanced battle between major guilds on each server. Since we are on 08, there is no major guild yet.

The entire event requires a major guild to become magistrate, then fight other magistrates in the server cluster, and the winner gets to fight other winners of nearby server clusters. Which is kinda neat.

Also they get to set taxes.

But this game sucks if you are solo since at level 30 you will feel a grind and need people to be specialized a bit.

Combat is a modified mount and blade style with 8 directions to attack and block with holding left click being block and letting go being attack.

Most people have currently leveled up via just crafting and gathering and are getting their rear end kicked fighting mobs but it is still kinda chill and fun.

Although I am just using it as a farming substitute after new world.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 29, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Itzena posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but that's not to say that WoW and other games in the past haven't accelerated the problem along in their own way.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Andoman posted:

If you were to start playing an MMO now what would you recommend?

GW2, wholeheartedly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Or guild wars 1 which still absolutely rules (as a single player game)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MMOs today that are worth playing, all have communities that are too big to get to know anyone outside of your circle of friends / guildmates. You really will never see anyone regularly in like FFXIV, like you would in old school Everquest or WoW. Those MMOs, you could still build a reputation on your server, and you still saw people all the time while out playing, or in chat. You won't have that experience in these games anymore.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

GW2 is the least irritating multiplayer game i've ever seen as long as I stay out of tangled depths

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

I said come in! posted:

The MMOs today that are worth playing, all have communities that are too big to get to know anyone outside of your circle of friends / guildmates. You really will never see anyone regularly in like FFXIV, like you would in old school Everquest or WoW. Those MMOs, you could still build a reputation on your server, and you still saw people all the time while out playing, or in chat. You won't have that experience in these games anymore.

You say this, but I am starting to recognize a bunch of regulars from my FFXIV datacenter's clubbing scene.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

I said come in! posted:

Hra Mormo posted:

You say this, but I am starting to recognize a bunch of regulars from my FFXIV datacenter's clubbing scene.

poster hra mormo is correct, the complaints about irregular communities in 14 only hold if you don't find more niche activities to do. the fact that you don't need to join a guild to do most of the real-difficulty raids means you will start seeing people you've played with before when it's raiding season, and that's just one of the more common little communities. i guarantee you the eureka obsessives all know each other. and these will all definitely be separate circles from your guild

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Itzena posted:

And so on.

FFXIV has a pretty crazy community and tons of player run events with all the housing stuff, probably way more than WoW or EQ ever had. I think what people miss though is running into people out in the world and interacting with them or grouping up with them randomly which is not something it has at all really.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had been thinking about playing Neverwinter Online again, thank gently caress I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyzfF9sJ-rc

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I really wish neverwinter wasn't like that because he's right - the combat is really fun

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

I said come in! posted:

this isn't true, i met tons of people through FFXIV as i was leveling through, friended them, and still talk to them this day. this is especially true in side content like eureka and bozja.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

frajaq posted:

you used LoL as an example but I think the best bet for that would be exactly the MMO Riot is working on currently

There will never be a good MMO again.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i sat in eureka in FFXIV for like a good 1.5 weeks a few weeks ago grinding out the relic and armor and i saw the same names there daily, made a couple friends on other servers just from being at the same fates and bosses all the time. little emote exchanges turned into chatting and whatnot after interacting for awhile.

it was fun!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Itzena posted:

Where are they wrong? Like the housing example - you do need to know your neighbors to survive. That's any sandbox pvp game with bases, not just Ultima Online.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 29, 2021

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I played FFXIV over the summer and it reminded me of DAoC, seeing the same names as I made my way around the world. Whereas Midgard Merlin had "Darkwingduck" and "Battlestargalactica", the Excalibur server had "Mmm Spaghettios".

And whether you're an F1 fan, a gay lalafell, or a bad pet, there's always a fellowship to join.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

Where are they wrong? Like the housing example - you do need to know your neighbors to survive. That's any sandbox pvp game with bases, not just Ultima Online.

Just move every couple of years. I swear it's like server hopping, go to one suburb with a Costco you've been to them all. It's the individuals who fill in these preset assets that makes it special.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Every few years I hop back into guild wars 2 for a few months and the experience is the same. In PVE, everyone is willing to help you out because the game is designed to reward that group play. On large meta event maps, people are voluntarily stepping up and herding cats to completing the map goals.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

Yeah, I played FFXIV over the summer and it reminded me of DAoC, seeing the same names as I made my way around the world. Whereas Midgard Merlin had "Darkwingduck" and "Battlestargalactica", the Excalibur server had "Mmm Spaghettios".

And whether you're an F1 fan, a gay lalafell, or a bad pet, there's always a fellowship to join.

MMOs are always full of weirdo freaks but FFXIV seems to have it extra bad

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think it "helps" that there are several ways to form what are essentially community chat rooms and it's also very popular. I guarantee these kinds of dudes are rife in WoW but it doesn't have the same social tools.

Either way, good for the Gay Lalafell bad pet F1 fans I guess

Bitcoin
Sep 12, 2021
Are they planning on fixing the part where 50% of fellowship finder is RMT spam?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The last online rooms in Phantasy Star Portable 2 before it went offline were all "LOOKING FOR GF". After all, where better to find love than a multiplayer PSP game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The last online rooms in Phantasy Star Portable 2 before it went offline were all "LOOKING FOR GF". After all, where better to find love than a multiplayer PSP game.

they were actually looking for a powerful, magical mythological creature to slot into their head so they could learn magic at the price of all of their memories

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Itzena posted:

And so on.

I mean, maybe people have rose tinted glasses when they think about the quality of the community and the interactions within it, but are you saying that there's just as much community in an actively developed modern MMO as there was in old MMOs pre-instancing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone here have a Ragnarok Online server that they recommend? The one on Steam doesn't work, I think the official RO has been abandoned and was never good to begin with.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Vinestalk posted:

I mean, maybe people have rose tinted glasses when they think about the quality of the community and the interactions within it, but are you saying that there's just as much community in an actively developed modern MMO as there was in old MMOs pre-instancing?

I can definitely say that after playing XIV since pre-CU SWG was me sitting in streams trying to mine for metals (?) while trying not to be butchered by giant butterflies. don't remember poo poo about talking to anyone that wasn't just spamming ads in Coronet

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the trick in FFXIV is that a lot of social activity and community building happens in the housing districts, so a decent amount of it is opt-in but at the same time very active. personally my energy level for social activity varies a lot so I appreciate that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vinestalk posted:

It's not nostalgia as anyone who plays/played P1999 can tell you.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I think it's important to note the distinction where socializing in games like FFXIV requires either luck in instances (rare) or doing something weird and not related to the actual gameplay like going to "raves" or whatever, and while I get that some people enjoy that, it feels like saying WoW encourages socialization because of the Goldshire Inn roleplayers or something. By contrast, EQ in, say P1999, really does require you to build relationships with people and organically, within progression mechanics, encourages you to do so because what else are you going to do while you camp with five other people for ten hours

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Nothing forms a bond between gamers like shared misery.

Unless they think you're the source of their misery, of course.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah being forced to work together because the game is forcing you to work is a good way to force bonds between people

But alternatively it would be better if social interaction stuff was “opt-in” within an otherwise accessible video game. EQ and FF11 were absolutely not particularly accessible games. It’s like everyone was on a chain gang for some reason and they ended up having fun somehow.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the hostility of the world was the point

humans don't build communities from scratch except in the face of adversity, for the most part. there are a million things that you could do to improve FFXI from a UI/clarity angle, which would make it more "accessible", but not any less hostile. MMO design as a whole, though, moved toward both more accessible and less hostile with opt-in social interaction, and at that point i think the games are in a meaningfully different genre from the old-school MMOs - one which really doesn't promote social interaction much at all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF14 built communities from scratch, the adversity in earlier games was just ONE reason to build a (relatively specific, sometimes extremely toxic) community from scratch.

There are other reasons to build communities in MMOs, like playing dress up or shaming people for not playing dress up. End of list.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Jazerus posted:

humans don't build communities from scratch except in the face of adversity, for the most part.

This is an incredibly bizarre read on human relationships? People don't just make friends or join clubs because of adversity or whatever we do it because we like the same coffee place or play baseball together or talk about TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Good Dumplings posted:

I can definitely say that after playing XIV since pre-CU SWG was me sitting in streams trying to mine for metals (?) while trying not to be butchered by giant butterflies. don't remember poo poo about talking to anyone that wasn't just spamming ads in Coronet

Was that all you did in that game? I never played SWG, pre or post CU. There were large amounts of time I spent sitting at a particular camp or farmed faction/crafting stuff in EQ by myself, but that game forced players to interact as others have mentioned.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not nostalgia as anyone who plays/played P1999 can tell you.

:respek:

Yeah, like even on a macro scale of the server community itself. Old EQ servers were vastly different in terms of the social atmosphere as people have mentioned in the history thread.

On a micro scale, I knew just about everyone on Al'Kabor when I played and I'm sure the people on P99/TAKP feel mostly the same.