Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

...Because they're printed in an un-set?

the thing that determines a cards legality is its name and literally nothing else. anything called godless shrine will always be legal in every format godless shrine is legal in, it doesnt matter where it was printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope there is some unfinity card that just breaks legacy in half with some meme name

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Paul Zuvella posted:

the thing that determines a cards legality is its name and literally nothing else. anything called godless shrine will always be legal in every format godless shrine is legal in, it doesnt matter where it was printed.

False

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

do you want to elaborate on that

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

flatluigi posted:

do you want to elaborate on that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That's not a magic card.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I have no idea what you're saying.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
You're all the smartest and the best, can we talk about the giant Legacy teddy bears and whether we're allowed to use little teddy bears for tokens in constructed magic

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

The World Inferno posted:

Giant Teddy Bear's now legal in legacy formats! :toot:

So does this mean Pink is officially a MtG color

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

No Mana’s Sky

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

So does this mean Pink is officially a MtG color

drat, those card backs are about to look real different

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

I have no idea what you're saying.

"Taxes, when he does the finger thing it means taxes."

They want to sell more packs so they're making the cards more playable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

"Taxes, when he does the finger thing it means taxes."

They want to sell more packs so they're making the cards more playable.

You can sell packs with silver and black border cards in it tho. They did this with steamflogger boss and his basic land pals. (well I guess the lands didn't have any border but they still figured it out)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
did the universes beyond cards with the triangle holomarks have black borders?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The World Inferno posted:

Giant Teddy Bear's now legal in legacy formats! :toot:

Storm alt tech lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

You can sell packs with silver and black border cards in it tho. They did this with steamflogger boss and his basic land pals. (well I guess the lands didn't have any border but they still figured it out)

One part making them black bordered hopefully increases the chances people will allow the un-cards in commander, one part it makes printing easier, since they can't put black and silver borders on the same sheet.

flatluigi posted:

did the universes beyond cards with the triangle holomarks have black borders?

Yup, they're vintage/legacy/commander legal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HootTheOwl posted:

That's not a magic card.

Sure is. Says it right on the card.

You may be confused as to what an Authorized Game Card is, per MTR 3.3, though, and how many "magic cards" are not Authorized Game Cards for tournament play.

Maybe you can find a knowledgeable judge to help you with that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
re: watergun thing https://twitter.com/maro254/status/1465362571729403908?s=20

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

One part making them black bordered hopefully increases the chances people will allow the un-cards in commander, one part it makes printing easier, since they can't put black and silver borders on the same sheet.

Changing how card legality is defined for tournaments to make sure it is easier for non-tournament players to play whatever cards they want in a casual format.

Seems like a sound line of reasoning for changing things.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toshimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJzWEYeUT6U

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

Sure is. Says it right on the card.
it does not?

quote:

You may be confused as to what an Authorized Game Card is, per MTR 3.3, though, and how many "magic cards" are not Authorized Game Cards for tournament play.

What you have presented is a nontraditional magic card.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

There's 30 new legendary creatures in Unfinity. All will be black border, but over half will be acorn stamped and thus supposedly not legal in "official" commander format. Seems like in practice all 30 would be allowed across 99% of commander games.

Did the Commander RC want Un-set cards to be played more but felt like their hands were tied by the silver border? Or is this kind of a passive-aggressive move against them in terms of the commander rules?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lone Goat posted:

I was going to ask if you really think someone is going to sneak an un-card into a tournament, but I remembered that I once judged a standard tournament - either provincials or regionals, so not a causal tourney - where someone was playing an illegal card that nobody noticed until round 6 or so.

(It was Stronghold Assassin which was in 7th edition but had rotated out by that point.)

About 5 years ago a friend of mine called a judge at round 6 of GP Vancouver (modern) because their infect opponent had cast a nev's disk in game 3. (before it was modern legal)

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 29, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Major Operation posted:

There's 30 new legendary creatures in Unfinity. All will be black border, but over half will be acorn stamped and thus supposedly not legal in "official" commander format. Seems like in practice all 30 would be allowed across 99% of commander games.

Did the Commander RC want Un-set cards to be played more but felt like their hands were tied by the silver border? Or is this kind of a passive-aggressive move against them in terms of the commander rules?

This is a weird take to have and pretty contrary to the entire history of EDH.

No, the acorn dudes will not be playable at 99% of commander tables, just like the silver-border ones are not right now.

This isn't some weird power play against... the most popular format in the game... how would you even smooth your brain out enough for that to be a concept you could accept?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
IMO you play Ashnod's Coupon in your EDH group just to test if the group is a good group.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HootTheOwl posted:

yeap.. also considering how bad WOTC has been with print quality i would not trust them to be able to manage a silver/black bordered sheet if that is even a possibility. black border means the set is more playable outside just the drafting of the box, reduces their printing costs and makes them more money. i'm guessing the last unset sold real poorly and they need to ramp their bottom line. people would probably buy just for the full-art lands but i'm guessing there would be too much negative feedback about how the rest of the set is chaff.

also reprint blacker lotus

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
from the article, when they were recontextualizing why cards were silver bordered in the first place:

quote:

The silver-border cards fell into a small grouping of categories:

Cards that don't work within the black-border rules
An element of "cards matter" that black border doesn't reference (flavor text, as an example)
Cards that require interacting with people outside the game
Cards that require a physical or vocal component
Cards that reference a state external to the game (are they able to see something from their seat, for instance)
Cards with some effects that just don't feel right in black border

the cards that have acorn holomarks will fall into those categories, and the two we've been shown fit that: one is an equipment that turns a creature into any other creature with the same exact mana cost, the other is a card with a mechanic centering around what's depicted in card art. i would assume that any of those legendary cards that are holomarked will also be like that + not conjecture that it's Obviously part of some rules committee war people are invested in making happening (as if the rules committee also doesn't outright say that you can and should see if your playgroups are fine with you playing cards that you want to play that aren't legal by default in the format)

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 29, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I hated that matchup so much but it is a price I am willing to pay

Bless up

mcmagic posted:

Spirits is pretty good against Hammer...

I think the hammer matchup is just okay, but it can definitely get there. It has an AMAZING belcher matchup though.

HootTheOwl posted:

Can spirits handle solitude or fury?
And is still a vial deck?

mcmagic posted:

No and Vial isn't a playable card.

It can, but your extremely good matchups got a LOT less free (control, etc) and sometimes you just get absolutely SHITHOUSED by ephemerate (as do all fair decks)
the issue with spirits in the current meta is that it's trying to do fair stuff in modern. Now that I've had a bit more experience playing against solitude and fury, I dislike them a lot less than I used to (but I still hate them with ephemerate)

The deck feels better in paper, where people are going to misplay into your onboard tricks loving constantly. Being hyper aware of the pitch elementals means that they're easier to play around, and you should just assume that whenever control taps out they have solitude and a card to pitch to it as well. Which did let me aether vial in an unsettled mariner after my opponent tried to solitude my queller while tapped out.

I will agree that Aether vial is not in a good place right now, and is a rancid top deck. Spirit surgeon Doctor Queller has been testing lists with 4x Utopia sprawl instead of aether vial and is consistently 5-0'ing (although I am pretty confident that the doctor could 5-0 with 56 islands and 4x mausoleum wanderer)

tl'dr: spirits barely tier 2, will I scrape together a bunch of X-2's at opens with it somehow? still yes

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 29, 2021

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Toshimo posted:

This is a weird take to have and pretty contrary to the entire history of EDH.

No, the acorn dudes will not be playable at 99% of commander tables, just like the silver-border ones are not right now.

This isn't some weird power play against... the most popular format in the game... how would you even smooth your brain out enough for that to be a concept you could accept?

I'm saying I think changing to use the stamp instead of the silver border will make the difference here. It would be harder to tell when looking across a table if you don't just know the cards by name. It is a fair point to make that I'm likely to be mistaken about 99% here, though. I guess it could only matter in pickup games, which is an unknown % of the commander/EDH format.

I don't think the Commander RC is synonymous with the format itself. I especially don't think Wizards employees view them that way.

I think there is a very low chance this was intentionally passive aggressive. I don't think there is some secret power struggle being waged over the format or that "the RC is ruining commander" or whatever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

yeap.. also considering how bad WOTC has been with print quality i would not trust them to be able to manage a silver/black bordered sheet if that is even a possibility. black border means the set is more playable outside just the drafting of the box, reduces their printing costs and makes them more money. i'm guessing the last unset sold real poorly and they need to ramp their bottom line. people would probably buy just for the full-art lands but i'm guessing there would be too much negative feedback about how the rest of the set is chaff.

also reprint blacker lotus

I dont see it: I feel any group that says "Naughty // Nice" isn't allowed isn't going to look at Water Gun Game and say "the border color is what was holding our acceptance of this card back"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm guessing the last unset sold real poorly and they need to ramp their bottom line.

If the last unset sold real poorly they wouldn't be making a new unset so soon.

The latter statement is obsessively true, though, independent of the performance of any set in the last 8 years

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I do think the reasoning behind getting rid of the Silver Borders is to sell more boxes through three main factors in order of impact:

1. Making some portion of the set legal in Vintage, Legacy, and Commander
2. Allowing Full Art and Borderless alternate card styles.

And then way down the list in terms of importance:

3. Removing some of that anti silver border reflex that many casual tables have by changing it to a much less intrusive Acorn Holo.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Too funny that Wizards announces a new way to tell if a card is legal and immediately fucks up by posting the wrong version which incorrectly shows a card as legal.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HootTheOwl posted:

I dont see it: I feel any group that says "Naughty // Nice" isn't allowed isn't going to look at Water Gun Game and say "the border color is what was holding our acceptance of this card back"

i don't think so either necessarily, my comment was more about "official" events.. there's more acceptance for the card if they just made it black bordered and used the acorn hologram as distinction... it's basically just WOTC printing another set. unmodern horizons or whatnot.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the last unset sold real poorly they wouldn't be making a new unset so soon.

The latter statement is obsessively true, though, independent of the performance of any set in the last 8 years

that's fair. i guess "real poorly" is probably not accurate unless we see some data. but yeah my feeling is this black border thing is definitely to up the bottom line. i mean they're selling collector boxes..

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AngryBooch posted:

1. Making some portion of the set legal in Vintage, Legacy, and Commander
2. Allowing Full Art and Borderless alternate card styles.

#2 there is an extremely good point and is probably the most likely version they're doing this. it means they can even do secret lairs with un-set cards in the future as long as the holomark is correct

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it seems pretty straightforward to be like 'we want some of these cards to be commander legal for the extra money, let's just go all black border it's cheaper and easier'

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

boo, the article lies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Why an acorn symbol to indicate non-legality in eternal formats, when squirrels are legal in modern, including an acorn-shooting gun that uses acorn counters?