Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tarnop posted:

I'm in a four player regular commander group and we occasionally take a break from commander and draft my pauper cube. It works great with glimpse drafting. We also had a fun Modern Horizons draft, again with glimpse drafting

Cube is a little different than booster draft because there's going to be far less chaff in a cube than a stock booster pack.

What's glimpse drafting though? Never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the real bonus and reason to buy a bundle is the box itself

*oversized spindown d20

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Lone Goat posted:

Cube is a little different than booster draft because there's going to be far less chaff in a cube than a stock booster pack.

What's glimpse drafting though? Never heard of it.

Instead of 3 packs of 15, you have 9 packs of 15. When you open a pack, you pick one card and then remove two, then pass it. It allows for better card selection and seeing more of the cube, which allows strategies that need a critical mass of effects, e.g. aggro needs one drops, to get them, where you may not be able to in a regular draft.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the real bonus and reason to buy a bundle is the box itself

Those removal insert box thingies that have been in the newer bundles for the last couple years are great. They fit my double sleeved, foiled, EDH deck perfect when no other box, professionally manufactured or otherwise, have fit it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Abhorrence posted:

Instead of 3 packs of 15, you have 9 packs of 15. When you open a pack, you pick one card and then remove two, then pass it. It allows for better card selection and seeing more of the cube, which allows strategies that need a critical mass of effects, e.g. aggro needs one drops, to get them, where you may not be able to in a regular draft.

We do 6 packs rather than 9 with the cube since it's built for 8 players, but the above is how we drafted the box of Modern Horizons

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Abhorrence posted:

By "remove two" do you mean remove them from the draft entirely? So basically you're taking one card and then hating two more from the pack? Do the removed cards go back into the cube to make future packs or are they gone gone?

I guess that works for cubes that are heavily redundant, but terrible for archetypes that rely on specific cards to function (like say storm or splinter twin) if someone can just throw your key wincons in the trash for free.

A large appeal of draft, for me, is that you can find the open lane/underappreciated cards and that seems less possible if someone else can just remove that option at no punishment to themself. Maybe it works different in execution, but it just sounds like a weirder version of sealed if you get to look at 135 cards and pick the best 9 (and also whatever chaff gets passed to you).

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lone Goat posted:

By "remove two" do you mean remove them from the draft entirely? So basically you're taking one card and then hating two more from the pack? Do the removed cards go back into the cube to make future packs or are they gone gone?

I guess that works for cubes that are heavily redundant, but terrible for archetypes that rely on specific cards to function (like say storm or splinter twin) if someone can just throw your key wincons in the trash for free.

A large appeal of draft, for me, is that you can find the open lane/underappreciated cards and that seems less possible if someone else can just remove that option at no punishment to themself. Maybe it works different in execution, but it just sounds like a weirder version of sealed if you get to look at 135 cards and pick the best 9 (and also whatever chaff gets passed to you).

The hated cards are gone from the draft (although kept post-draft by the player that hated them out in the case of booster draft)

You're absolutely right that it's not a good fit for cubes that contain single cards that are essential to making an archetype work. The pauper cube isn't built that way so it's a good fit there, and it works well for booster draft imo.

e: there's an opportunity cost to each card you hate out, of course. If you spend one of your two discards on Splinter Twin and no one was drafting that archetype, you might have just handed someone a valuable (but not essential) card

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 26, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Paul Zuvella posted:

At that point you’re holding up 8 mana. That’s turn, what, 13 in modern?. The games long over at that point.

Cultivator colossus is pretty cool and good in amulet and it lets you "storm off" randomly which is pretty neat.

Hullbreaker horror could see outside play in esper reanimator as a reanimation target that survives unholy heat and also has a bunch of additional text.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's a potential turn 2 kill that can hold up interaction, I don't think there's any value in unbanning it

KCI, on the other hand,

Please unban KCI so that spirits can be a tier one deck again.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
4 player draft is okay but it's pretty weird.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah I’m with you here, it puts a huge pressure on opening good cards in your 9 packs because the next card you’re going to be able to take is by default the 4th best card in the pack.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
IMO it'd be better to just draft 7 cards from each pack and throw the rest away, for 6 packs. The cards that nobody liked enough to pick early get discarded.

You do still miss out on finding the open lane and getting your key commons coming to you twelfth pick or whatever. But overall you'll probably find it more fun, unless you really enjoy simulating drafts where you messed up and had to scratch a deck together out of all the barely-playables.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I like the hate-drafting element, but yeah you could totally just draft half of each pack and get some above average power decks.

Another way to do it is to increment the number of cards you burn on each pick, starting at 0 so:

Pick 1, burn 0
Pick 1, burn 1
Pick 1, burn 2 etc

You need to be able to trust people to keep track though, it's easy to mess up.

Four player drafts are never going to be as good as eight, but they're better than no drafting at all or drafting with dickheads so I'll take it.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Lone Goat posted:

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah I’m with you here, it puts a huge pressure on opening good cards in your 9 packs because the next card you’re going to be able to take is by default the 4th best card in the pack.

Typically it's mostly used for power cubes when you have only two or four people drafting, and want to use more of the cube. Two people use 270 cards, and four people use 540.

Ironically this makes it much BETTER for strategies like storm that need a few key cards. If you were to draft normally with two people, for example, you would see 87 cards. (15 in each of your three packs, plus 14 cards in your opponent's three packs) with a glimpse draft, you see fifteen cards in nine packs, so 135 cards, and 12 cards in your opponent's nine packs, so 108, for a total of 243 cards; that's more than twice the card selection.

Think of it this way. A 540 count cube being drafted normally by 4 people would use 180 cards. That means that there's only a 1/3 chance that a specific card is even present in the draft. However if it's a 4 person glimpse draft, the entire cube is used, meaning it is definitely there somewhere. In fact, in a 4 person glimpse draft of a 540 cube, each person sees 378 cards (15+12+9+6, nine times) which is exactly 70%.

Also, like I said, I have most often seen it in powered cube where a 4th pick is still going to be fairly powerful.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I forget where I heard about this format for 4 drafters, I think it was called "one headed giant"? I might have made that up, but here's how it goes:

Drafting:
4 drafters, 6 boosters each (24 total)
You open a booster like normal but TAKE TWO CARDS, pass the rest to the left, as though you were drafting 2hg.
Draft the entire pack that way, 2 at at time -- the last pick will be 1 card, that's fine.
Second pack goes the other way like normal, third left again, etc -- LRLRLR
By the end of the draft you have six boosters packs worth of cards again (6*15=90)

Deckbuilding:
You make TWO decks using your drafted pool.
Assign one of your decks as A and the other as B.
Normally no sideboards needed, but if you have Learn/Lesson or Wish or other things that care about outside the game, assign those cards to each deck's sideboard.

Gameplay:
Best of 3 match against each opponent
Game 1: A vs A
Game 2: B vs B
Game 3 (if needed): Each player chooses the A or B deck THEIR OPPONENT plays with, and you play these off against each other. This is so you don't just sandbag one deck, both your decks need to be good!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Mezzanon posted:

I hated that matchup so much but it is a price I am willing to pay

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mezzanon posted:

Spirits is pretty good against Hammer...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can spirits handle solitude or fury?
And is still a vial deck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Can spirits handle solitude or fury?
And is still a vial deck?

No and Vial isn't a playable card.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I forget where I heard about this format for 4 drafters, I think it was called "one headed giant"? I might have made that up, but here's how it goes:

Drafting:
4 drafters, 6 boosters each (24 total)
You open a booster like normal but TAKE TWO CARDS, pass the rest to the left, as though you were drafting 2hg.
Draft the entire pack that way, 2 at at time -- the last pick will be 1 card, that's fine.
Second pack goes the other way like normal, third left again, etc -- LRLRLR
By the end of the draft you have six boosters packs worth of cards again (6*15=90)

Deckbuilding:
You make TWO decks using your drafted pool.
Assign one of your decks as A and the other as B.
Normally no sideboards needed, but if you have Learn/Lesson or Wish or other things that care about outside the game, assign those cards to each deck's sideboard.

Gameplay:
Best of 3 match against each opponent
Game 1: A vs A
Game 2: B vs B
Game 3 (if needed): Each player chooses the A or B deck THEIR OPPONENT plays with, and you play these off against each other. This is so you don't just sandbag one deck, both your decks need to be good!

neat. sounds like a much better version of the thing my friends and I do when we have an MTG meet up which is just "regular sealed but you make a good deck and a crappy deck in different colors"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

No and Vial isn't a playable card.

....aether vial isn't playable?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

kalel posted:

neat. sounds like a much better version of the thing my friends and I do when we have an MTG meet up which is just "regular sealed but you make a good deck and a crappy deck in different colors"

Yeah, for two-headed sealed you use 8 packs to make two decks, and for team sealed you use 12 packs to make 3 decks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A big flaming stink posted:

If you're on the draw and you play vial after your opponent played ragavan, you lose
It's in an awful spot right now

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 27, 2021

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

If you're on the draw and you play vial after your opponent played ragavan, you lose
It's in an awful spot right now

It’s not even that great on the play, as tour opponent can just ending it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’ve never liked Vial as a card, but I accept it is was a powerful turn one play. Now there are so many other plays and maindeck answers to it on top of being the worst top deck in the world that it is basically unplayable.

CoCo surpassed it as the instant speed weenie card a while ago.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Aether Vial circa 2016 when I was using it in my UW spirits deck and my WB death and taxes deck back when I played Modern. It worked great in my FNM meta because no one ever did anything about it and it led them to make stupid decisions. See that I'm tapped out? Nope, just vialed in a creature with a counter stapled to it.

It was basically a deck where every card, including the creatures, were counterspells, and I just won with tempo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Paul Zuvella posted:

It’s not even that great on the play, as tour opponent can just ending it

Eh, getting your vial end'd on the play isn't all that different than getting your t1 play bolted.
Vial players just love to keep one land + vial on the play and you can't do that any more. (even with ending I will fall into this trap 100% of the time and also just lose to IoK)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love to Aether vial

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love to Aether vial

There is nothing more savagely deranged than a man in the throes of an ether binge. And they call it a binge for a reason, I lost a whole day once to a water cooler sized jug of ether and an old T-shirt

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have played a ton of drafts over the last few days and it feels like the number of times I have gotten mana-flooded or mana-screwed is unreal. I even built a black/red deck that had a lot of blood token generation and still had one of these two issues each game. I just went 3-3 with a pretty solid white/black deck where 5/6 games I either only drew one color of land or could only play 3 lands for the first 7 or 8 turns. The only reason I even squeaked out 3 wins is because my deck had some nice early synergy. I really enjoy the draft format but man this is brutal.

I also haven't seen a single bomb in the last 7-8 drafts I have done. And in a bomb-heavy format that isn't great.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MrSargent posted:

I have played a ton of drafts over the last few days and it feels like the number of times I have gotten mana-flooded or mana-screwed is unreal. I even built a black/red deck that had a lot of blood token generation and still had one of these two issues each game. I just went 3-3 with a pretty solid white/black deck where 5/6 games I either only drew one color of land or could only play 3 lands for the first 7 or 8 turns. The only reason I even squeaked out 3 wins is because my deck had some nice early synergy. I really enjoy the draft format but man this is brutal.

I also haven't seen a single bomb in the last 7-8 drafts I have done. And in a bomb-heavy format that isn't great.

Sorry

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

You are forgiven. Just needed to vent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

No. Too much prismatic ending's.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I "vow" never play this garbage format ever again

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Something weird happened in a standard game I just played and I am wondering what happened. I was running my Mono Green deck and created a Treefolk Token with my W7. The opponent played Borrowed Time (linked below) on the Treefolk token. I responded next turn by playing Outland Liberator and destroying the Borrowed Time enchantment. But it did not return my Treefolk token to the battlefield. Since the enchantment is no longer on the battlefield, I thought I should have gotten that token back but maybe I am missing something?

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=534759

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

When a token leaves the battlefield at all it is gone for good. it can not return from exile because it no longer exists.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Tokens can't exist anywhere except the battlefield, so they're especially weak to bounce spells or white prison-y exiles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Something weird happened in a standard game I just played and I am wondering what happened. I was running my Mono Green deck and created a Treefolk Token with my W7. The opponent played Borrowed Time (linked below) on the Treefolk token. I responded next turn by playing Outland Liberator and destroying the Borrowed Time enchantment. But it did not return my Treefolk token to the battlefield. Since the enchantment is no longer on the battlefield, I thought I should have gotten that token back but maybe I am missing something?

Tokens stop existing when they leave the battlefield. As soon as the Borrowed Time exiled your token, it no longer existed at all, so there was nothing to return when you destroyed the Borrowed Time yourself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrSargent posted:

You have discovered why W7 is largely out of the meta when the best deck plays 4x fading hope and ways to copy and recur it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mono-w running 2-4x brutal cathar also doesn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks for the replies all, that makes sense! Always learning something new.