Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Freaquency posted:

I'd rather leave early and get some stuff done that first day so I can shorten the trip, but it doesn’t make that 3:45 alarm any easier.

I'm right there with you on this. Where I live the only place I can get direct flights are places like Dallas/Newark/Chicago/Detroit/Philly, so it's multiple flights on each trip every time. If I take anything later I'm either getting to work a ton later or cutting it *really* close with my connection.

The pandemic solved a lot of this for me, since they've let me work from home primarily as well as drastically reducing travel for us once they saw the savings in the budget (and how productive I was at home). I flew for the first time in over a year and a half a few weeks ago, but I'm wondering if they'll ever bring us back to the volume we had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

There's a new republic in the world. Good for democracy but will see how it holds up. Barbados has been friendly to China for decades and those ties are growing deeper with a ton of Chinese investment into their infrastructure - even just simple stuff that the UK ignored like sewage treatment. Strategically they're unimportant but they wield some soft power in the Caribbean through their banking industry and could convince other Commonwealth countries to follow them...the big prize being Jamaica which itself has received Chinese investment and could pose a big threat to the Panama Canal and the US itself some day.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1465308203617591297

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
incredible how a small country throwing off the final vestiges of colonialism can be spun as a scary move by the evil Chinese

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Chinese are really just doing what we used to do. Invest in developing countries to curry favor and get access to their natural resources, or just strategic locations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Relentlessboredomm posted:

incredible how a small country throwing off the final vestiges of colonialism can be spun as a scary move by the evil Chinese

That's exactly what the British media is doing - they're ignoring how England spent the last 400 or so years doing bad for the place and trying to gin up a red scare after the damage is already done. We in the US haven't been any better, and we could have easily prevented Chinese influence - and a potential threat - by spending the 90 billion or so in the region that China has spent since 2010.

As for China itself, they're not evil per se but they are dishonest and trying very hard to be imperialist.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 29, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Freaquency posted:

I am at the airport for a flight that leaves at 6am

I control my schedule, no one is waiting for me, why do I keep doing this to myself

Airport beers hit different at 5am

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
China is definitely outspending the US in Micronesia and Polynesia, trying to push out of the South China Sea naval trap and simultaneously trying to undercut Taiwan’s recognition efforts.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Nazi broadway actor has decided to go with a sovereign citizen defense, let's see how that plays out:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1465330405893095429

quote:

Investigators couldn’t initially identify Beeks. He was dressed differently than his Oath Keeper counterparts and covered his face completely with a gaiter during the attack. But with the help of another defendant in the case, described only as “Defendant 4,” and an image of Beeks wearing a jacket emblazoned with the word “Bad,” investigators identified him as the likeliest suspect. Cell phone data suggests that Beeks, a Florida resident, was near the Capitol during the siege.

“Law enforcement was further able to corroborate Beeks’s possession of the black jacket that appears consistent with the one he was seen wearing on January 6, 2021,” investigators added. “The jacket appears to be from Michael Jackson’s BAD world tour, which started in 1987.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

how the gently caress does someone like that make it that far on broadway

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Damnit, I caught a cold over the weekend. I haven’t been sick since 2019 what with all of the staying inside and mask wearing, I have definitely taken that for granted
:negative:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I don't wanna be back at work :sigh:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

T-Square posted:

Damnit, I caught a cold over the weekend. I haven’t been sick since 2019 what with all of the staying inside and mask wearing, I have definitely taken that for granted
:negative:

I had a cold last weekend for the first time since Christmas 2019, and then some other minor medical poo poo happen on Thanksgiving, and can confirm it still really sucks.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

how the gently caress does someone like that make it that far on broadway
Failing upwards.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
New Jojo coming out hell yeah

https://youtu.be/fsAC9ui-iI4

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Im convinced the most ardent supporters of Qanon or sovereign citizens are just high functioning schizophrenics

you let me interview any of them and I could get a positive diagnosis

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

Im convinced the most ardent supporters of Qanon or sovereign citizens are just high functioning schizophrenics

you let me interview any of them and I could get a positive diagnosis

It’s not that simple. A lot of it stems from being poor and how hard our society shits on them. When you’re powerless and keep getting hosed up by the criminal legal system yet watch rich motherfuckers walk for more heinous offenses, you become disillusioned with the system as it has been presented to you and you seek the real answer.

To add on to it, most sovcit types are not well educated and have had zero training emphasis anywhere on critical thinking skills. They’re primed to be gullible before the gurus even show up and start bilking them so they can sell them the real secret to why the rich and powerful never get punished.

The actual answer is that the wealthy control the government, though, and not that they need to say the right magic words in the right order.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1465376329570951180

i want to have hope dammit

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
This story is so cool

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1465339400318078982

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't wanna be back at work :sigh:

amen

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s not that simple. A lot of it stems from being poor and how hard our society shits on them. When you’re powerless and keep getting hosed up by the criminal legal system yet watch rich motherfuckers walk for more heinous offenses, you become disillusioned with the system as it has been presented to you and you seek the real answer.

To add on to it, most sovcit types are not well educated and have had zero training emphasis anywhere on critical thinking skills. They’re primed to be gullible before the gurus even show up and start bilking them so they can sell them the real secret to why the rich and powerful never get punished.

The actual answer is that the wealthy control the government, though, and not that they need to say the right magic words in the right order.

Yeah, like the anti-vax stuff, a lot of people have been hosed by the pharma industry and they might be dimly aware of stuff like the Tuskegee experiments or what not and the company just jacked up the price on their absolutely needed diabetes medication, why on earth would they trust a free vaccine? When have pharma companies ever done something for free?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Can confirm, story's awesome. Worth a click.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is ten days too soon after your dog passes to start applying to adopt another one? According to my wife, the answer is no!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

C-Euro posted:

Is ten days too soon after your dog passes to start applying to adopt another one? According to my wife, the answer is no!

lol, we're at six months. To be fair, a big part of that is me going back to working in the office, then getting slammed with work and doing 10 hours days + my wife picking up a shitload of shifts.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys with customer facing jobs - ever have a client you just absolutely hated? Please share your stories because I've got one who given the chance I would punch in the throat without hesitation and then sleep like a baby after and I want to know that I'm not alone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joey Freshwater posted:

You guys with customer facing jobs - ever have a client you just absolutely hated? Please share your stories because I've got one who given the chance I would punch in the throat without hesitation and then sleep like a baby after and I want to know that I'm not alone.

At one restaurant I worked there was a guy who would come in alone frequently and he was always pleasant and left a decent tip. Occasionally he'd bring in his wife and kid and I don't think I served her a single time without her sending something back, and the tip was always less than 10%, so I assume she was saying something like "don't give them that much" when I wasn't at the table.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Joey Freshwater posted:

Is that the same person that asked to specifically not work with you? Because I would hope at least that person wouldn't be your problem anymore.

Even better than this guy living the dream is how his caper bothered a perpetually pissed off US Marshall who died angry about it. The Marshall's son then became a Marshal and has to pretend that actually his dad won because the bank robber got found out after dying following a charmed life surrounded by his loving family who tragically had to go through life without using the robber's birth name.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That robber lived the dream, he got out of Ohio.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is that the same person that asked to specifically not work with you? Because I would hope at least that person wouldn't be your problem anymore.

It took me a second to remember who you were talking about but no, we actually worked things out and are fine now.

This other rear end in a top hat though is the most dramatic loving person on the face of the planet and is escalating to my managers 3x above me and positioning it to be like I'm actively trying to ruin his business and buddy, if I was trying to do that you'd know it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

loving tons and I’ll effort post on some of the amusing ones later when I’m not currently working.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I have clients I hate, but none that I'd want to punch in the face. Most of the ones I hate are because they're just really annoying, but not malicious.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have clients I hate, but none that I'd want to punch in the face. Most of the ones I hate are because they're just really annoying, but not malicious.

Yeah that's my problem with this guy. I've had clients that I wasn't like buddy buddy with or they were annoying or whatever but at the end of the day we had a working relationship and it was "fine". This guy actively has it out for me and is making it personal.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I have a psych patient with childlike speech disorder who talks to me (and only me) in a bad Cuban accent (she’s from western nc) who states she had a psychiatric break after having a cavity filled and always threatens to sue me because the medication I prescribe has gluten (it doesn’t)

But she keeps coming back!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I took today off, mostly because coming back on a Monday after a break sucks rear end.

And it's another day I get to avoid the new consultant who came in to "fix" operations, but is clearly (to everyone but the highest of management) going to nuke us back to the stone age and force out a lot of good people who have been with us for a decade or more.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I've had many a client talk to me like I'm an idiot or treat me like I'm the "help" or I'm somehow trying to screw them out of all their money. I am very transparent about the process and no money ever gets paid directly to me, but somehow, I'm crooked? Or stupid? Maybe both? I'm sure no one is shocked that the clients that treat me the worst are the Boomer aged ones.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Braksgirl posted:

I've had many a client talk to me like I'm an idiot or treat me like I'm the "help" or I'm somehow trying to screw them out of all their money. I am very transparent about the process and no money ever gets paid directly to me, but somehow, I'm crooked? Or stupid? Maybe both? I'm sure no one is shocked that the clients that treat me the worst are the Boomer aged ones.

I'm curious what percentage of your customers are GenX/millennial or younger. When thinking about doing a trip working with a travel agent just isn't something I even consider doing. And I'm not saying it's a useless thing because it's clearly not, I just want to know what the experience is like. My parents never used travel agents either so maybe that's why.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Drinking beer and watching Columbo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

For a class in college I read a study about the experiences of trans men in the workplace before and after transition, and there was a legal receptionist who stayed at the same place and there was an infrequent client who had no idea and made a specific point to let the lawyer the receptionist worked for know "how much better this new guy is than that lady you used to have." It is shocking to me how much more people (probably more common in men than women, but both genders) are willing to talk poo poo to and about women than men.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm curious what percentage of your customers are GenX/millennial or younger. When thinking about doing a trip working with a travel agent just isn't something I even consider doing. And I'm not saying it's a useless thing because it's clearly not, I just want to know what the experience is like. My parents never used travel agents either so maybe that's why.

Currently, the bulk of my clients are goons so I think that skews a bit younger. I do have some older clients, some that would be the same age as my parents (60-75 age group) so yeah, my personal clientele is a bit younger. I do believe some of that is due to the bulk of my business being Disney parks related which is the kind of monster that intimidates people the most. I do a fair amount of cruise business and all-inclusives and people who don't travel that way very often like to use a travel agent because it's confusing the first time you do it.

Most people who work with me aren't doing it for the lowest cost price option, they're doing it for the hand holding. So if you're not the kind of person who needs that sort of help, you probably aren't going to think to use a travel agent. Honestly, my best clients are youngish single mothers. They like that I do the work for them, that I know which locales are going to be the safest for them, and they like working with a woman. I'm not sure that age has much to do with it at this point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/shahh/status/1463605990792835072

laughing very hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If people aren’t calling you and leaving incredibly threatening voicemails because you’re the attorney for his opposition then get the hell out of here