Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You won't get very good framerates at 4k with a 3060.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I know but that's all I could get atm. I'll upgrade when/if supply and prices get better (lol.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 65" C1 $1797 shipped - includes $150 Newegg gift card

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

prom candy posted:

The blacks on my current TV are god awful and everything has this washed out look. It also has terrible viewing angles and input lag. I had a plasma from 2008 before this and even though it was only 720p and had huge 2000s bezels it was way better.

An OLED is going to be a massive improvement over any other current technology for contrast and viewing angle. I personally skipped the plasma generation so I can't make a comparison, but I've heard more than one person say that a new OLED is the first tv they've liked since their plasma.

It's definitely a luxury price and I would never tell someone to overextend their finances for a television, but the difference is remarkable.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Got a question about indoor TV antennas.

Are they essentially all the same or are some better than others? Amazon has tons but I honestly don't know what's junk or not.

I have one that will only get a few channels unless I readjust the placement then it will get another set of channels.

Do I need one that has a booster?

We are about 30 miles from a major downtown.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

120hz means you don’t have 3/2 pull down on 24fps content, resulting in smoother panning shots. It’ll be occasionally noticeable.

Some new console titles are also supporting a 40fps mode between the 30fps “performance” and 60fps “quality” modes which looks to be a great compromise between the two. You can only use it on a 120hz panel.

It allows for a better black frame insertion implementation as well. All nice features to have. Also, the x90j is almost definitely worth the extra scratch over the x85j for local dimming alone, not to mention the updated processor.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If the TV supports VRR there's a good chance the film mode uses it for 60hz panels to drop to 48fps

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Been enjoying my C1 and wound up picking up a Apple TV 4K as I was having issues with the built in Plex app playing 4K videos. No big deal everything is great now. Question is this.

Series X and Apple TV 4K are hooked up to the Denon receiver which then from there to the C1 into the eArc port.

Is there a way using the LG magic remote to change inputs on the receiver? The remote controls the Apple TV just fine but if I want to play Xbox I have to manually change the receiver input. Or is there a way to configure the receiver to detect when the Xbox gets turned on and change automatically to that input?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

mattfl posted:

Been enjoying my C1 and wound up picking up a Apple TV 4K as I was having issues with the built in Plex app playing 4K videos. No big deal everything is great now. Question is this.

Series X and Apple TV 4K are hooked up to the Denon receiver which then from there to the C1 into the eArc port.

Is there a way using the LG magic remote to change inputs on the receiver? The remote controls the Apple TV just fine but if I want to play Xbox I have to manually change the receiver input. Or is there a way to configure the receiver to detect when the Xbox gets turned on and change automatically to that input?

If you enable CEC in the Xbox settings app, it should be able to switch the input. Or at least it does on my Sony AVR, I’d assume the Denon should work similarly but CEC is often wonky.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Krime posted:

Got a question about indoor TV antennas.

Are they essentially all the same or are some better than others? Amazon has tons but I honestly don't know what's junk or not.

I have one that will only get a few channels unless I readjust the placement then it will get another set of channels.

Do I need one that has a booster?

We are about 30 miles from a major downtown.

You might try asking in the Cutting Cable thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I think TVs have landed all the features I’ve been waiting (years!) for, and there’s no tech upgrades I can see on the horizon that are crucial - the C1 has 120hz, VRR, minimal latency, so that’s the next 5ish years of game tech covered. And OLED seems mature enough to make that jump.

The other question is timing. I charted the CX’ price over time and it confirmed my model of season price changes each year - it’s probably about as low as it will go until around the super bowl where they may be a touch hard to find as they sell out to prep for the 22 models in March/April. Those new models will probably be about a 1/3 higher in price, same as the C1 price at launch.

Is there anything I’m missing? I don’t mind waiting 4 or 6 or whatever months, but I wanted to check if my read that there’s unlikely to be anything worth waiting for (with a decent price/value) seems reasonable.

Making the decision easier is that I have $200 in amazon credit and the 5% card, as well as a couple of hundred each in expense reimbursement and sacks of quarters to cushion the blow so it won’t end up at twice as much as I’ve ever paid for a tv. I’m nearly locked in to just do it but thought a little feedback might be smart first for a decent sized purchase.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:getin:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Bought the C1, should get here this week. Thanks for continuing to enable my spending, SA!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Well poo poo, good enough for me. I went to buy it and freaked out because the page I found was not delivered by amazon and was $60 more, but then I stumbled on the right listing. Somehow in the past couple of hours delivery went from a week from now to Tuesday, which I’m gonna take as a sign. Purchased!

Might be even better than I thought, the order page mentioned that it might qualify for an extra 5% back too. Let’s see how this goes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dog chewed up the TV remote last week. TCL Roku TV. I never liked the remote, functionally its fine but it looks like its meant for one of those kids tablets whos name is eluding me at the moment. Anything worthwhile I should consider before I buy a straight up OEM replacement? Not interested in some god drat harmony claptrap

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

Dog chewed up the TV remote last week. TCL Roku TV. I never liked the remote, functionally its fine but it looks like its meant for one of those kids tablets whos name is eluding me at the moment. Anything worthwhile I should consider before I buy a straight up OEM replacement? Not interested in some god drat harmony claptrap

Only affordable alternative is the sofabaton u1. It's decent but IR only for Roku TVs and is really clicky and takes an effort to push the buttons. Enough that, when I finally replaced my remote with the OEM one a week ago, my arms could immediately feel the difference.

There is a sofa baton x1 coming out but it's more expensive.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Goddamn, Sony A8H 65" $1500 today at Best Buy. I have one of these and loving love it, anyone considering an OLED for movies should buy buy buy this.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I drank too much and nuked my toy budget for the year from orbit and now have an LG G1 65" from Best Buy due tomorrow. :newlol:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Keyser_Soze posted:

I drank too much and nuked my toy budget for the year from orbit and now have an LG G1 65" from Best Buy due tomorrow. :newlol:

Yeah, same boat. I've bought a PS5 and a LG C1 65" (on sale at like $1799) over the past 10 days. I don't think I'll regret either purchase though!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Around now is when you start thinking to yourself that another $450 for a Denon hdmi 2.1 receiver isn't THAT much of a stretch...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Around now is when you start thinking to yourself that another $450 for a Denon hdmi 2.1 receiver isn't THAT much of a stretch...

that is what started this meltdown.....but to be honest, all my existing stuff was from 2015-2016.....so I guess ready for updates. Oh and the 2016 Sony 930D 55" was supposed to be dead already - but still looks great (but has that fatal super high input lag). It's being moved to the Master Bedroom position.

It looks like on the AVS Forum site, the Denon might have just been a temporary thing and is also showing some issues for some.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/denon-avr-s760h.3218301/page-67

..also on the Denon, once you get the ip address it's super easy to make adjustments from your laptop so you don't have to futz around with the remote or a phone app.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 29, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

If you can find one. Apparently they are out of stock on costco's website and in store they are hit and miss. I got mine like 3 weeks ago, literally the last one they had sitting on the pallet, and when I was at Costco this weekend they've completely removed the on shelf display and it's as if it never existed lol.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

It looks like on the AVS Forum site, the Denon might have just been a temporary thing and is also showing some issues for some.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/denon-avr-s760h.3218301/page-67

..also on the Denon, once you get the ip address it's super easy to make adjustments from your laptop so you don't have to futz around with the remote or a phone app.

I've had mine for a few months now, and no weird behaviors so far *knocks on wood*. I've got a 3070ti PC, UHD BluRay, and Shield hooked up to it and then out to an LG CX. I'm not using earc or cec at all though, so maybe that heads off a lot of potential bugs. GSync and HDR for Forza Horizon5 is :woop:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
How much should I care about a receiver? I got a Pioneer VSX-832 in 2018 mostly because the Vizio 4K tv I bought the year before only had one hdmi input with all the goodies so I routed all inputs into the receiver and then just ran one hdmi from receiver to the tv.

The C1 that’s coming tomorrow has all 4 ports as 2.1 so I should be fine just hooking everything up to the tv, right.? I only have a 5.1 system and I’ve only had all speakers in use for the past 5-6 months at my new place. Mostly concerned about terrible audio delay or something. The Pioneer receiver doesn’t have eARC but supports most everything else.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any of your sources that go above 4k60 would need to go straight to the tv with a new 2.1 cable, normal 4k sources can still go through your receiver if you want but would work either way. Without eARC you can use an optical cable to carry audio from tv to your Pioneer.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

E. Wrong thread

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

codo27 posted:

You can use the Roku Voice Remote or Voice Remote Pro with TCL Roku TVs, and they’re usually readily available (e.g. my local Target stocks them) and cheap, $20 to $30. Those are nice because they use wifi instead of IR. The voice functions/private listening features I found less useful but you may like them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My sister's TV (a Sony X900F) no longer responds to the Sony remote. She's replaced the batteries, and confirmed that the TV turns on with the built-in power button. I've advised her to contact Sony about getting a replacement remote, but just checking here for any other ideas.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Space Racist posted:

You can use the Roku Voice Remote or Voice Remote Pro with TCL Roku TVs, and they’re usually readily available (e.g. my local Target stocks them) and cheap, $20 to $30. Those are nice because they use wifi instead of IR. The voice functions/private listening features I found less useful but you may like them.

I used the built in private listening feature the first time on my new Voice Remote Pro and was pleasantly surprised. It worked great and let me watch Hellbound while the kids slept! A++ will use again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My sister's TV (a Sony X900F) no longer responds to the Sony remote. She's replaced the batteries, and confirmed that the TV turns on with the built-in power button. I've advised her to contact Sony about getting a replacement remote, but just checking here for any other ideas.

Unplug the TV (physically unplug it) and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then plug it back in and try it. I've seen that fix some weird issues before.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got my C1 today. There is no reason for a tv to be this thin. Feels like it's going to snap!

My wall mount is a monoprice low profile mount that I bought 13 years ago. I found the shipping email and it says "(Max 165Lbs, 37~63inch)". My new tv is 65", is this going to be a problem for the mount? I'm assuming that back in 2009 they just couldn't conceive of a 65" TV that would be light enough for this wall mount?

The other problem is that one of the screws holding the bracket to my old TV is stripped so that's going to be a fun problem to solve. Also apparently this wall mount that has served me well since January 2009 was only $18!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

prom candy posted:

The other problem is that one of the screws holding the bracket to my old TV is stripped so that's going to be a fun problem to solve. Also apparently this wall mount that has served me well since January 2009 was only $18!

This is why you should be a hoarder. I recently composed all my loose screws and other junk left over from TV mounts and such into a compartmentalized container I got at dollarama. I actually ended up using some of those long bolts for the TV to widen out the arms on my Markus chair.

I wouldn't worry about the mount, the TV obv isn't anywhere near that weight limit.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

prom candy posted:

Got my C1 today. There is no reason for a tv to be this thin. Feels like it's going to snap!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/n4lfow/everybody_told_you_cats_are_the_devil_cat_damaged/

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

This caused me physical pain :magical:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

codo27 posted:

This is why you should be a hoarder. I recently composed all my loose screws and other junk left over from TV mounts and such into a compartmentalized container I got at dollarama. I actually ended up using some of those long bolts for the TV to widen out the arms on my Markus chair.

Oh yeah the issue isn't the bolt, it's that the bracket that I need for the new tv is stuck on the old tv with a stripped screw. I ordered some screw extractor drill bits so hopefully I can get it off without breaking the old TV.

The compartmentalized container is a good idea. Like a good computer toucher all my old cables are well organized but my tools and hardware for around the house poo poo are just a mess.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Trying to keep around $1k CAD for a 55" TV since mine just died, and while there are numerous 120hz 4K displays out there, RTings reviews often remark on this:

Review pf Hisense U7G posted:

Update 11/24/2021: We rechecked 4k @ 120Hz support on this TV. Unfortunately, like most other TVs we've tested in 2021, it can't display 4k @ 120Hz signals properly. The vertical resolution is cut in half, resulting in a 3840 x 1080 interlaced signal, so text isn't displayed properly.

Is this actually common - 4k/120 not really 4K 120? The TCL 646 doesn't seem to have this problem, but it's sold out of course and no idea when it will be restocked. RTings seems pretty recent on their updates with this but I'm wondering how in the hell they can say "4k/120" when it's interlaced.

Also looking at the Samsung Q70A which looks like it has a 'real' 4K/120 - but goddamn, that single HDMI 2.1 port. 😡

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 30, 2021

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the Denon AVR S760H popped back up on Costco's website for $449 (at least in my Norcal location).

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Trying to keep around $1k CAD for a 55" TV since mine just died, and while there are numerous 120hz 4K displays out there, RTings reviews often remark on this:

Is this actually common - 4k/120 not really 4K 120? The TCL 646 doesn't seem to have this problem, but it's sold out of course and no idea when it will be restocked. RTings seems pretty recent on their updates with this but I'm wondering how in the hell they can say "4k/120" when it's interlaced.

Also looking at the Samsung Q70A which looks like it has a 'real' 4K/120 - but goddamn, that single HDMI 2.1 port. 😡

Yes it is. The X90H series from Sony has the same issue despite being advertised as PS5 ready. It's a chipset limitation as best anyone knows. X90J has full 4k120 support.

It's not that noticeable in games so if you're a console gamer you may not mind, but it's very noticeable from a PC source doing anything else.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

prom candy posted:

My wall mount is a monoprice low profile mount that I bought 13 years ago. I found the shipping email and it says "(Max 165Lbs, 37~63inch)". My new tv is 65", is this going to be a problem for the mount? I'm assuming that back in 2009 they just couldn't conceive of a 65" TV that would be light enough for this wall mount?

I currently have a 65in mounted on a mount that states max 55in. It seems that as long as the physical mount config is correct and the weight requirement is inline (I think in my case they mean 55in plasma which is easily twice the weight of a 65in LCD), it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can I ask why people are running their video signals through an HD receiver? I used to do that but I found it just ended up introducing more input lag. For years now I've just run everything direct to TV and then optical audio out to my receiver. Are there benefits to going through the receiver now that maybe didn't exist when I last played with this 8-ish years ago?

LorneReams posted:

I currently have a 65in mounted on a mount that states max 55in. It seems that as long as the physical mount config is correct and the weight requirement is inline (I think in my case they mean 55in plasma which is easily twice the weight of a 65in LCD), it should be fine.

Thanks, that's what I figured but I don't know anything about anything so always better to check