Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

What? I'm not american. Not sure if you are british or american, but please, don't overestimate how relevant that kind of event is to the rest of the world.

Edit: some quick reading tells me that it was about how the english king should rule. Why would other countries teach it?

I do have the divine comedy coming up next.

It's a defining moment in both religious tolerance while still fueling sectarianism between Catholics and Protestants globally (kinda...) Additionally, it was one of the first instances of a parliament or congressional body having more power then a monarch in the modern era, and the reforms made would become foundational to modern governmental theories. It's definitely not a locally contained civil war.

I'm also a little surprised, given this, that it was not taught universally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mr. Nemo posted:

What? I'm not american. Not sure if you are british or american, but please, don't overestimate how relevant that kind of event is to the rest of the world.

Edit: some quick reading tells me that it was about how the english king should rule. Why would other countries teach it?
I'm American. Oliver Cromwell was a pivotal figure in world history for both good and ill, and it really is surprising for someone to not be familiar.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Frankly, I am surprised at your surprise :colbert:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Eh, I guess I will disagree, and the local education board body or whatever too.

As i remember it my european history went romans, quick overview of medieval stuff and then french revolution, and that's where we got into monarchy vs republic and it's impact on a global scale. Maybe we covered one of the oter wars with the dutch and spanish involved. I'd make a bet cromwell never came up.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

Eh, I guess I will disagree, and the local education board body or whatever too.

As i remember it my european history went romans, quick overview of medieval stuff and then french revolution, and that's where we got into monarchy vs republic and it's impact on a global scale. Maybe we covered one of the oter wars with the dutch and spanish involved. I'd make a bet cromwell never came up.

how can you disagree when you didn't study it??

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mr. Nemo posted:

quick overview of medieval stuff and then french revolution
The English Civil War is how you get from "medieval stuff" to "French Revolution".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't care who knows about what, but the idea that someone who didn't know England had a civil war wanted to read Paradise Lost is funny to me. Like how do you develop that kind of interest without exposure to the history

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The English Civil War is how you get from "medieval stuff" to "French Revolution".

Unless you're from a place where other, more culturally significant stuff happened - nationally or otherwise - particularly around that time? The English Civil War is not equally significant to every (country's) culture...

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

Unless you're from a place where other, more culturally significant stuff happened - nationally or otherwise - particularly around that time? The English Civil War is not equally significant to every (country's) culture...

I guess this is a non-eurocentric argument, which is fair, but the OP then cited his schooling doing the "European classics" but excluding one of the top 3 colonizing European counties having a global impact so I mean, no, I don't think that tracks.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
But... you don't know what the local curricular "competition" is to the English Civil War, do you?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

how can you disagree when you didn't study it??

Yes, it’s a funny situation. To change my mind I would’ve had to be exposed to it during my schooling, which is a bit impossible now.

Ras Het posted:

I don't care who knows about what, but the idea that someone who didn't know England had a civil war wanted to read Paradise Lost is funny to me. Like how do you develop that kind of interest without exposure to the history

I do agree that it probably that it makes a different reading experience, but i don’t agree that it’s that bizarre.it’s a major work of literature.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yes, and apparently it was decided it was less relevant that other stuff. I have to admit I can’t tule on whether it was the right call or not, due to my own ignorance. We did touch upon the Magna Carta for that “limiting the kings” stuff.

Edit: to get back to it, any shortish read about why the English civil war is relevant to PL? The footnotes touches a bit on it, but I could read some more

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 28, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

from English history I briefly remember something or other about the war of the roses, which isn't the thing you are arguing about, and I can still function as an adult and understand things like The Enlightenment and the French revolution

as an example, most of what I know about the Dreyfus affair I got from Proust first. it's not the end of the world

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ras Het posted:

I dunno about the other poster, but someone told me to quit being a loving child read some real literature and I took it to heart.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm not disputing the importance of the English Civil War in establishing the idea of parliamentarism in Europe but by that metric you'd be much better off studying the French Wars of Religion, the Fronde, etc.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, I didn't mean that the English Civil War was a direct cause of the French Revolution, more that it was extremely fitting for the chronological and political/philosophical gap there. Apologies for the glib overstatement.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The new Wole Soyinka isn't very good and I'm returning it to the library.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A human heart posted:

The new Wole Soyinka isn't very good and I'm returning it to the library.

The book drain pour.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ulvir posted:

from English history I briefly remember something or other about the war of the roses, which isn't the thing you are arguing about, and I can still function as an adult and understand things like The Enlightenment and the French revolution

as an example, most of what I know about the Dreyfus affair I got from Proust first. it's not the end of the world

J'accuse with tea and madeleines

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
At Night All Blood Is Black is £1.99 on kindle daily deal today FYIs

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean that the English Civil War was a direct cause of the French Revolution, more that it was extremely fitting for the chronological and political/philosophical gap there. Apologies for the glib overstatement.

No worries. It's actually kind of remarkable how little the possible intellectual influence of the Protectorate on the Revolution is studied over here, even though the Parisian bourgeois who theorised the revolutionary ideals would have almost certainly been familiar with it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm American. Oliver Cromwell was a pivotal figure in world history for both good and ill, and it really is surprising for someone to not be familiar.

i know who he was from listening to In Our Time a lot but even in holland the civil war isn't really taught in school. he was mostly relevant to british/irish/colonial history. similarly we don't really care about the american civil war

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

similarly we don't really care about the american civil war

much more so than the english civir war though, in my experience at least. anyway, a bunch of stuff happened around the time of the english civil war that ended up being pretty important to the dutch republic, which iirc adopted a neutral stance in the english civil war anyway. see also my earlier comment "curricular competition"

Famethrowa posted:

I guess this is a non-eurocentric argument, which is fair, but the OP then cited his schooling doing the "European classics" but excluding one of the top 3 colonizing European counties having a global impact so I mean, no, I don't think that tracks.

no, it's an anti-anglocentric argument. also, citation needed for that bit between quotation marks.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I mean my American public school system didn't even discuss loving Vietnam and I didn't know there even was a Korean war until college, and chances are at least one of my teachers fought in one of those wars :shrug:

If someone wasn't aware of the English civil war and its impact on society, I don't see the point of taking them to task for it. You can't help what you don't know, which it sounds like the guy was motivated to try and correct?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mr. Nemo posted:

Edit: to get back to it, any shortish read about why the English civil war is relevant to PL? The footnotes touches a bit on it, but I could read some more
There isn't much to it, just that it's a poem about a civil war in Heaven written during and after a civil war on Earth. Milton was in favor of the overthrow of Charles I, and the relationship of this to his treatment of Lucifer's revolt against God has been debated for centuries. Why it's relevant is very simple, but how it's relevant is another matter.

Heath posted:

I mean my American public school system didn't even discuss loving Vietnam and I didn't know there even was a Korean war until college, and chances are at least one of my teachers fought in one of those wars :shrug:
:smith:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think most people had similar education experiences. Ancient history was Egypt, and then there was Greece and they invented philosophy, and then they turned into Rome. Then America happened, American history is we were founded by devout Christians who only wanted to practice their faith and were being persecuted in England because ??? and they landed in Plymouth and there was a dinner where everyone was happy. Then ??? there was a tea party because of taxation without... something. Taxation, taxes are bad, the king was stealing money from the Americans. Then ??? and there was a civil war because of slavery, and then Abraham Lincoln and the Republicans (not the Democrats!@!!11) freed the slaves with a proclamation and then a Democrat got mad and shot him for it. Then World War I and it was bad. Then World War II, and we saved the world, and we talk about this for the next six years of education, and nothing bad ever happened after that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thoroughly convinced that everyone complaining about history education in the US just didn't pay attention, and then vents about it online to cover up their own ignorance.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I mean I'm sure in high school at least there were classes that discussed it in more depth, but they were electives. I mean, I don't think you have to dig very deep in the modern concept of the American mythology to see the wide cracks.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I have no loving idea what I was taught in history class because I'm 32 years old

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Heath posted:

If someone wasn't aware of the English civil war and its impact on society, I don't see the point of taking them to task for it. You can't help what you don't know, which it sounds like the guy was motivated to try and correct?

I WAS. But now posting rules indicate I have to defend “the English civil war was globally irrelevant” to the death. It’s a shame really.

If only we hadn’t repelled the attempted British Invasions then perhaps local education would include their local history such as the civil war.

Up next, how Yugioh taught me about the war of roses.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I thoroughly convinced that everyone complaining about history education in the US just didn't pay attention, and then vents about it online to cover up their own ignorance.

I don’t think “America’s public school system is poorly executed” and “people didn’t pay attention in class” are mutually exclusive concepts.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
everybody should learn english history for the same reasons why parents tell you about the boogie man, or loading screens on old fps games would tell you the weak spots to aim for on enemies

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

no, it's an anti-anglocentric argument. also, citation needed for that bit between quotation marks.

Mr. Nemo posted:

I dunno man seems pretty standard to me as far as traditional euro history points to touch on. my point was only that knowing about Cromwell and the reforms in the aftermath is a pretty basic single lesson thing that I was surprised that it was missed as part of the overall tapestry of "western" governmental theory. I don't see it as much different then knowing about Robespierre and the aftermath of the French Revolution, even if you couldn't give the beat by beat events of the uprising itself.

No one is saying that having deep understanding of the Roundheads is necessary in one's education. That would be anglocentric.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

I dunno man seems pretty standard to me as far as traditional euro history points to touch on. my point was only that knowing about Cromwell and the reforms in the aftermath is a pretty basic single lesson thing that I was surprised that it was missed as part of the overall tapestry of "western" governmental theory. I don't see it as much different then knowing about Robespierre and the aftermath of the French Revolution, even if you couldn't give the beat by beat events of the uprising itself.

No one is saying that having deep understanding of the Roundheads is necessary in one's education. That would be anglocentric.

the reason the french revolution does get taught is because it produced napoleon and spilled over into a lot of other countries. the protestant revolution is taught but its just luther and calvin and maybe a few other figures, maybe henry viii is mentioned if youre lucky, otherwise british history is seen as mostly tangential until waterloo and victoria

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

american history is presented as a straight line from columbus to washington to lincoln and the end of slavery, and the first major thing after that is wilson and the versailles treaty

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I finally got a copy of this

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

as a child i learned about history from the fall of the western roman empire through to the spanish conquest of the americas from the age of empires 2 campaign intro slides, which are literature

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I cannot imagine being someone who wasn't highly aware of all the most major historical events from the age of 16 onwards.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

by 16 i got really obsessed with the concept of most major historical events and tried to channel them constantly

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

by 16 i got really obsessed with the concept of most major historical events and tried to channel them constantly

I went through all stages of historical development much faster than some people do. By the age of 10, I was already succumbing to the internal contradictions of capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Vibrating with super-normal levels of awareness of the 1550 Valladolid debate, at the tender age of 17