Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s Black Friday as in “in the black”, a phrase meaning you made a profit
That may not be quite correct. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-friday-history-why-is-it-called-black-friday_l_5d951322e4b02911e1154386 and other pages suggest stock crashes, car crashes, and these days it seems to often be "hoards of people trampling each other and having fights". It doesn't seem like a very positive name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The attempted rebrand to 'made a profit' is businesses trying to make it sound like a good thing rather than hordes of people crashing cars and fighting each other over deals.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Either way I'm not sure what particular brand of brainworms causes one to think stupid shopping day is racist actually

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It can be argued that using “black” as a pejorative descriptor can be racist in practice, if not necessarily intent (ex. “blacklist” vs “whitelist” ties into a black=bad, white=good dichotomy).

Is that the case here? I’m not necessarily convinced, but I’m also well aware that I’m operating from a position of privilege there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Black Friday is not negative. I swear to God you people need to get outside more and post less.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
You would have a way easier time trying to stop everyone from referring to people as black/white than you would divorcing the words from their connotations in every other part of language.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

Black Friday is not negative. I swear to God you people need to get outside more and post less.

lmao literally "doesn't look like anything to me"

thanks goon

also read the article which is very short and suggests the name is from police reports of people being lovely in order to do holiday shopping as soon as possible after Thanksgiving. Quotes with sources and everything! Don't worry, they are short quotes

Now as to whether or not black being associated with bad and white being associated with good is a racist thing I think THATS REALLY loving OBVIOUS

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Nov 29, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

:jerkbag:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
its so normalized it cant be racist right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Now as to whether or not black being associated with bad and white being associated with good is a racist thing I think THATS REALLY loving OBVIOUS

I mean, it's pretty common throughout languages, from well before the modern concepts of the white and black races were formed and in some cases before the cultures that speak those languages had even had significant contact with black and/or white people.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
guys its just a total coincidence that systemic racism ruthlessly exploits and destroys black people while black idiomatically means bad and white means good

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jesus I wish my arm were twice as long so I could make a bigger jerkoff motion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

guys its just a total coincidence that systemic racism ruthlessly exploits and destroys black people while black idiomatically means bad and white means good

If anything I'd bet it's the other way around, black people aren't black and white people aren't white, but those labels were applied in part because of the existing connotations of those colors.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The associations are older than the modern conception of race. The Black Death, for one (you don't see it in English until around the 1700s but you find it in Danish a century or two earlier). Homer uses black associated with death to describe Scylla in the Odyssey. Seneca does something similar in one of his writings too. Even the Egyptians associated the color black with the underworld.

I would imagine the associations come from it being the color of darkness and of the unknown more than anything.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

And why do you call the worst candy "black" licorice anyway

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

And why do you call the worst candy "black" licorice anyway

You don't because black licorice rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've always wanted to try that super intense salted black licorice they have in Scandinavia. Mainly because I have bad sinuses and I hear that poo poo opens you right up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Manager Hoyden posted:

Jesus I wish my arm were twice as long so I could make a bigger jerkoff motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGnqf3CUW8

Gripweed posted:

I've always wanted to try that super intense salted black licorice they have in Scandinavia. Mainly because I have bad sinuses and I hear that poo poo opens you right up.

It's extremely gross. Not as gross as candy corn, but it's up there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

YeahTubaMike posted:

yeah I want to try it.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Our licorice is extremely strong? You learn something new every day

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

YeahTubaMike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGnqf3CUW8

stop hoarding the licorice you goddamn... I'm sorry, I wanted to call you a mean Scandinavian term but this is apparently the best that region came up with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_(derogatory_term)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Candy corn is good. Especially the pumpkin shaped candy corn. That's good stuff.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Candy corn and salted peanuts is a pretty good candy mix

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I don’t think I’ve ever actually eaten a piece of candy corn in my entire life.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
phuo: i like licorice. i think it's good. it's definitely an acquired taste, i'll give you that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I would imagine the associations come from it being the color of darkness and of the unknown more than anything.

Yeah bad things happen in the dark. (And of course that word has been appropriated for doing racism.)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The greek guy writing the gospel of john in ad 70: "the light (racial whiteness) shines in the darkness (is surrounded by black people) and the darkness (again, definitely the group of people living in the americas of african ancestry) can never extinguish it ("it" being whiteness which the good in this parable)"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Robobot posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever actually eaten a piece of candy corn in my entire life.

Try it. Get a cheap bag at Target, eat a piece, even if it's not your bag I bet you'll be like, "huh I wonder why people act like this stuff is nasty. It's, at worst, fine."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It used to be dark and scary outside before electricity

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

It used to be dark and scary outside before electricity

Often still is, because of capitalism.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

christmas boots posted:

because black licorice rules

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ah yes I was quite certain the term was related to the method of voting but looked it up to be sure. https://www.etymonline.com/word/blackball

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I used to buy this poo poo to gently caress with my coworkers all the time. My old boss said it tasted like cat piss smells. Personally I thought it was pretty good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in holland we have balls that are sweet on the outside but salmiakki flavored on the inside and i always use them to gently caress with people

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

in holland we have balls that are sweet on the outside but salmiakki flavored on the inside and i always use them to gently caress with people

The Soviets used a genital.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

2/10, next time try picking something where not literally everyone knows where the meaning comes from

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Bullshit crusades like this only serve to distract from real issues. If you actually want to help then try helping instead of tilting at windmills.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
irrespective of where it comes from I think its still racist and not great. Thinking about black kids who have to hear their white teachers reiterate notions of whiteness being good and blackness being bad in every context under the sun.

instead of considering this at all, please continue to frame my argument as though I am suggesting the origin of the idea is racist. That would of course be the most expedient way to ameliorate any perception of harm you might be causing

vv or just slam me personally

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Nov 30, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Guys I’m starting to think this guy is seriously jokerpilled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Wheel of Time has another "dark one" evil character and thats a huge loving eyeroll tbqh. Not saying they were conciously trying to malign black people but it's still not great

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Nov 30, 2021