Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i think anything that punishes drivers is good regardless of context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Excellent post

Ty for that, I really appreciate it

In other news a driver actually got what's coming to them

quote:

An unlicensed driver who escaped justice for years after she deliberately ran down a cyclist, leaving him to die beside a rural Queensland highway, has been sentenced to a decade behind bars.

Joanne Marie McAuley was incensed when cyclist Shui Ki Chan flipped her the finger on the Warrego Highway near Gatton about 7.30pm on 23 August 2012.

Lol it only took a decade but at least they got her

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
cars really are the perfect murder weapon.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just follow the law and stop trying to abolish cops, jesus christ.

i want to abolish cops and speeding sucker

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

its insane how many polygons utica has lost since then

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cars are like the easiest thing to make safer. it's just plainly obvious how many things we could do to reduce or eliminate their lethality and environmental impact but just refuse to because both society and capitalism loves cars and hates even the mildest inconvenience

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The weird thing is that lot's of things that feel inconvenient when you have a car aren't actually, and you totally stop thinking about them that way when you no longer have one. I used to be like "ugh I can't be bothered to cycle to the shops, I'll drive", now that cycling is my only option it doesn't even feel like I'm missing out if it's raining or something, I just do it (and enjoy it!) because it's part of life

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
SPEEDING ISN'T A REAL PROBLEM i scream as i gun the accelerator on my sweet Mustang through a school zone, missing the giggling gaggle of school children holding hands and crossing the street in reflective vests until it's they've been ground to a gruesome paste beneath my tires. SLOWER SPEEDS COULDN'T HAVE PREVENTED THIS. I WAS JUST GOING THE SPEED I PERCEIVED THE ROAD WAS SAFE FOR AND ALL THESE OTHER CARS DRIVING THE POSTED LIMIT ARE SUCKERS

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

actionjackson posted:

nice posts! I have a couple grocery stores a bit less than a mile away, I was thinking about finding some used bike on craigslist or w/e with platform pedals, I never need to carry more than two bags worth so maybe just panniers in the back?

Yeah, panniers as needed. Keeping the weight on the front wheel is a little better from a handling perspective but its not that big of a deal if you're not carrying a ton of stuff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Be careful with front panniers, with a bunch of mass up there your center of gravity moves more than you expect when steering.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sphyre posted:

can someone who is good with computers do a cutout av of the two wheeled terror guy for your favourite poster (me)

I had to remove the speed lines unfortunately, they didn't look good shrunk down.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speeding can be enforced with automated cameras placed not just at lights but at random places along the road, and also with road design (narrow lanes, curves, other traffic calming measures), and most importantly by destroying most car infrastructure so its not convenient to drive while replacing it with pedestrian, bike, and transit friendly infrastructure. thank you.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD HAVE DONE, i sob as I scrub the toddler blood out of my 24" grill. I'M JUST AS MUCH AS A VICTIM OF THE BROKEN SYSTEM AS THEY ARE, I screech, wrestling the handheld stop sign (and a fifth-grader's arm) from where they've caught in my rear axle. I BEAR ZERO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY; WE NEED INFRASTRUCTURAL SOLUTIONS TO DRIVERS GOING 80 MPH AND TEXTING BEYOND THE WHEEL

But seriously, we absolutely do need a fundamental transformation of our street infrastructure. That doesn't mean you or anyone gets a black check to be a reckless sociopath behind the wheel. Pretending otherwise enables those bad actors and feeds narratives against traffic calming measures.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol i drive through two school zones when i drop off or pick my son up from daycare, most days i am the only person who actually gets below 20 mph. because these school zones (and, to be clear, the schools themselves) are on a stroad where its normally very easy to get up to 45 mph because its straight and flat and stoplights are far apart. never seen anyone get pulled over. americans are lovely drivers, for sure, but they are enabled by extremely forgiving road infrastructure and minimal enforcement. like i have had a cop speed past me, as in going 40-45 mph, through a school zone, no sirens or anything. nobody cares!

i love going the speed limit through it rocks. i got cruise control on bitch you cant make me go any faster!

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Cugel the Clever posted:

SPEEDING ISN'T A REAL PROBLEM i scream as i gun the accelerator on my sweet Mustang through a school zone, missing the giggling gaggle of school children holding hands and crossing the street in reflective vests until it's they've been ground to a gruesome paste beneath my tires. SLOWER SPEEDS COULDN'T HAVE PREVENTED THIS. I WAS JUST GOING THE SPEED I PERCEIVED THE ROAD WAS SAFE FOR AND ALL THESE OTHER CARS DRIVING THE POSTED LIMIT ARE SUCKERS

even in this embarrassing hyperbolic hypothetical, there is a speed limit and it fails to save anyone's lives lmao

Cugel the Clever posted:

THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD HAVE DONE, i sob as I scrub the toddler blood out of my 24" grill. I'M JUST AS MUCH AS A VICTIM OF THE BROKEN SYSTEM AS THEY ARE, I screech, wrestling the handheld stop sign (and a fifth-grader's arm) from where they've caught in my rear axle. I BEAR ZERO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY; WE NEED INFRASTRUCTURAL SOLUTIONS TO DRIVERS GOING 80 MPH AND TEXTING BEYOND THE WHEEL

But seriously, we absolutely do need a fundamental transformation of our street infrastructure. That doesn't mean you or anyone gets a black check to be a reckless sociopath behind the wheel. Pretending otherwise enables those bad actors and feeds narratives against traffic calming measures.

actually, pretending that stricter traffic enforcement can save lives feeds narratives that systemic reform can be ignored in favor of greater personal responsibility, an excuse city engineers and state legislators have been using for years to not take meaningful action on traffic reform.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i hate this fugging cager styler of argument. you can do multiple things at once in society so gently caress off

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Rockstar Massacre posted:

actually, pretending that stricter traffic enforcement can save lives feeds narratives that systemic reform can be ignored in favor of greater personal responsibility, an excuse city engineers and state legislators have been using for years to not take meaningful action on traffic reform.

100% agree. Can I get some help scraping grandparent blood off my hood?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

even in this embarrassing hyperbolic hypothetical, there is a speed limit and it fails to save anyone's lives lmao
lol, that's the point, arguing that the speed limit and other traffic rules are all bullshit made up by the man enables sociopathic driving and the only amount of infrastructure change that would completely prevent such drivers from doing damage is no driving at all (which I'm so for working towards, but we need to reduce harm in the meantime).

You need to both change the infrastructure and the mindset to reach vision zero. That means having a meaningful heart to heart with your buddy who's amped to be roaring through busy streets or your mom whose nose is constantly in her phone about how dangerous their decisions are to themselves and those around them.

lobster shirt posted:

i love going the speed limit through it rocks. i got cruise control on bitch you cant make me go any faster!
:yeah: cruise control gets a bad rap in some urbanist circles but I love it. Just set it and forget it, then sit back and focus on responding to conditions on the road. It could not be easier to go the limit or under.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Peanut President posted:

MARTA rules, kill anyone from outside marta range, tia

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:hellyeah:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

i hate this fugging cager styler of argument. you can do multiple things at once in society so gently caress off

except for having both public transit and automobiles exist simultaneously apparently lol

hot cocoa on the couch has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Nov 29, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wrong thread for this. this is the pure ideology thread. practical city design ideas and chat goes in the modernizing urban cities thread (did anyone end up making one of those?)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I've seen so many posts like this, and just did some research on my shithole hometown to gauge how much has been lost to cars. Just found out about a big park with multiple trollies and rail lines which would run from neighboring towns and cities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe7WfoIHjdY

Nowadays, my hometown is most known for being the spot in ct where 91, 691, and RT-15 intersect. People in meriden talk about this as if it's a good thing, but having so much car traffic, and being able to drive other places so quickly, obliterated everything of value in the town. If you ask the residents why meriden sucks nowadays, they'll blame "immigration + outsourcing of jobs"

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Nov 29, 2021

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

prove it

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

I've seen so many posts like this, and just did some research on my shithole hometown to gauge how much has been lost to cars. Just found out about a big park with multiple trollies and rail lines which would run from neighboring towns and cities:

My town was once one of a million little 2-3 town sized RR companies who were connected to the main lines and were locally expanding through 1910. Sometime after that the Pennsylvania RR came into control of most of them and today there's a NS line that doesn't stop a half hour out of town.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

cops really are the perfect murder weapon.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

wrong thread for this. this is the pure ideology thread. practical city design ideas and chat goes in the modernizing urban cities thread (did anyone end up making one of those?)

TBH it shouldn't even be legal to have a personal automobile.

but if we're talking about bare minimum reforms to stop people from dying this week. AND in a climate where traffic laws just might as well not even exist then... YES people are going to talk about conceptualizing an authority to prevent those deaths

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
automatic speed limit enforcement in cities shouldn’t even be controversial, in suburban residential/school zones as well

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
uh no sorry instead we will have to do an exploratory survey for a restriping that might happen 10 years from now. We're helping!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cars should also have speed limiters. i understand why engines should be made to be able to go way faster than they need to, but theres no reason to then put a governor on the engine to prevent the car from going too fast. its just the facts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
These speed limits will ruin my commute!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
In the voice of a transportation wonk: oh so the town selectboard just shot down the restriping that would have happened in 2030, but don't worry we have a bike super highway concept as part of our future 2050 transit plan. We will definitely get to vision zero by then!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

automatic speed limit enforcement in cities shouldn’t even be controversial, in suburban residential/school zones as well

we do it for electric scooters lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

indigi posted:

Actually, this is racist against me.

lobster shirt posted:

cars should also have speed limiters. i understand why engines should be made to be able to go way faster than they need to, but theres no reason to then put a governor on the engine to prevent the car from going too fast. its just the facts.

And this is ableist against me as well. Come back to the table when you're ready to talk like adults.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I'm very curious to hear if the folks arguing that enforcing speeding and other traffic rules is counterproductive think about mechanisms like speed limiters. If the criticism is purely one against demanding individual actors not to behave like sociopaths on their own, surely a direct, systemic limitation like that is an admissible solution.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm very curious to hear if the folks arguing that enforcing speeding and other traffic rules is counterproductive think about mechanisms like speed limiters. If the criticism is purely one against demanding individual actors not to behave like sociopaths on their own, surely a direct, systemic limitation like that is an admissible solution.

it is a great idea and also would be great for fuel economy on highways (and if it happened irl would actually foment revolution which while it would be for the wrong reasons would be cool)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
A speed limiter??! So you're gonna put cops directly into my car to TELL ME WHAT TO DO??? NO THANKS, ADOLF. The only gas chamber THIS guy is going to is a one-way ticket to maximum acceleration

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I had to remove the speed lines unfortunately, they didn't look good shrunk down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

you wouldnt need a speed limiter if you just made all the roads wider and straighter and free of pesky obstacles like humans