Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
There has to be a What If Spiderman Joined the Avengers? right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Journey into Mystery #42 (1957)

Sky Gal #3 (1994)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

To be fair, getting ordained is really easy since the Universal Life Church exists.

I got ordained by them at 14 in order to perform a ceremony for my Uncle and my now Aunt.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

There has to be a What If Spiderman Joined the Avengers? right?

I would have thought so, but I can't find one -- there's a What if Spider-Man Had Joined the Fantastic Four? but that's it. (It looks like in that one he has a generally successful career with them, but Susan Storm breaks it off with Reed and leaves the FF to marry Namor and become Queen of the Atlanteans.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToxicFrog posted:

I would have thought so, but I can't find one -- there's a What if Spider-Man Had Joined the Fantastic Four? but that's it. (It looks like in that one he has a generally successful career with them, but Susan Storm breaks it off with Reed and leaves the FF to marry Namor and become Queen of the Atlanteans.)

So it works well for both of them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

So it works well for both of them.

Doesn't that mean Reed turns evil and joins the council of Reeds?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Push El Burrito posted:

Maybe Spider-Man is a stabilizing influence and this is the one Reed without a Sue that doesn't turn evil? Maybe? One can hope?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It absolutely has a bit where Reed is going to murder all of Atlantis but in the end it’s Johnny who stays a villain. Reed just realized he sucks poo poo and takes the L.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

616 Reed not joining the council of Reeds was because he was the only Reed with a dad and wanted to stay with his family, so I think it's possible he still doesn't become evil, if he meets the right woman after Sue leaves.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Push El Burrito posted:

Is that the actual reason for evil Reeds?

There's What if Namor joined the Fantastic Four? and Sue ends up with Namor there as well.

I'd say anyone joining the Fantastic Four ends up with Sue/Namor, but What if the Silver Surfer joined the Fantastic Four? ends with the Surfer as Mephisto's annoying roommate in Hell.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

It absolutely has a bit where Reed is going to murder all of Atlantis but in the end it’s Johnny who stays a villain. Reed just realized he sucks poo poo and takes the L.

Yeah, Johnny tries to stop Sue and Reed stops him and goes "this sucks but it's her decision to make, not yours".

It ends with him being kinda hosed up about it, but also hopeful that with Sue to act as a moderating influence on Namor (and as a Human/Atlantian liaison who is less emotional and prone to flipping the gently caress out than Namor is) she might usher in an era of warmer relationships between the surface and the oceans.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I had actually conflated the original with the sequel in What If 21 where Reed and Johnny are so lovely to Spider-Man by constantly blaming this teenager for why Sue left that he and Ben just quit and Reed lies to the UN to get permission to invade Atlantis. Reed was in fact not going to kill all of Atlantis, he was just going to remove their ability to breathe water and force them onto land where Namur would no longer be prince(?) and Sue would divorce him.

This would have killed Sue and the baby she was giving birth to at the time and Reed realized that he was probably wrong to kill a baby.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, Spidey got invited to be a member of the Avengers twice! I was always kind of disappointed as a kid that they didn't do more with that.

IIRC the first time he turned them down because he preferred working on his own -- I don't have that issue, but it's referenced in a few places in the ones I do have. A few years later, when the Avengers are looking for new members, Thor invites him to try out; he's flattered but still lukewarm on the idea. Then a few issues later (#235) he finds out in a conversation with Shulk that being an Avenger is a salaried position, $52k/year (about $140k today) + room and board at Avengers Mansion if you want it. Since, being Spider-Man, he's in dire straights financially, he decides that maybe learning to work in a team is worth it for that kind of financial security.

In the next two issues he tries to follow up on Thor's offer, but they're in a rush to deal with poo poo going down at Project Pegasus -- so he stows away on the Quinjet and ends up helping them deal with a lava-man invasion, four escaped supervillains, and an impending nuclear meltdown. Cap offers to bring him on as a probationary member, and he accepts, but when they're doing the paperwork back at Avengers Mansion their contact with the feds flips his poo poo at the idea of everyone's favourite threat and/or menace joining the Avengers. Cap offers to go to bat for him, but Spidey decides that it's not worth getting into a fight with the federal government about and leaves.

The first time was in an early Avengers issue when they consider how being tested by a robot Spider-Man and then being saved by the real Spider-Man is a pretty good endorsement but Stark says no.

The first time in a Spider-Man comic is when they go "oh yeah, get out there and stop the HULK" as their initiation test, which seems like bullshit. Parker finds out Hulk has an even worse secret identity life than him though and lets Banner go out of sympathy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Elissimpark posted:

Is that the actual reason for evil Reeds?
Kind of? They try to recruit him and he's all for Duplicate Science Times but they're like "you have to abandon your family, they're holding you back" and he's like nah, not worth it. Then it turns out they're all evil because family ties are the only thing providing any kind of moral compass for a Reed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Namor thing is kinda funny because it weirdly makes Sue one of the more realistically sexual women in 616. She's married, monogamous but there's this one guy she kinda hates but also kinda gets her motor running. She'd never do anything about it, but...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lobok posted:

The first time was in an early Avengers issue when they consider how being tested by a robot Spider-Man and then being saved by the real Spider-Man is a pretty good endorsement but Stark says no.

Yeah, that was an robot sent by Kang The Conqueror who seems to spend a lot of time congratulating itself for being able to hoodwink the Avengers

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gaz-L posted:

The Namor thing is kinda funny because it weirdly makes Sue one of the more realistically sexual women in 616. She's married, monogamous but there's this one guy she kinda hates but also kinda gets her motor running. She'd never do anything about it, but...

You kidding
Namor gets everyones motor running.
Hed be everyones casanova if he wasnt such a massive jerk

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You kidding

I mean when you are king of the ocean, its easy to get everyone wet.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghost Rider #11 (1975)

Spidey Super Stories #32 (1978)

Quasar #18 (1991)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

is that Gyrich?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Big fan of Broken Leg Man in the background.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Turns evil?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

is that Gyrich?

you're going to be so glad you asked

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Gruenwald's Quasar was so cool, and early Capullo is a joy to look at. What an amazing series.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You kidding

But does he control the police?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

But does he control the police?

I guess you could say that.

Marvel Mystery #2 (1940-ish)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

Gruenwald's Quasar was so cool, and early Capullo is a joy to look at. What an amazing series.

I want to say that was Capullo's first issue on the book, too. I know he wasn't on it in the arc right before it...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #6 (1942)

Punisher 2099 #7 (1993)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #39 (1943)

Spidey Super Stories #32 (1978)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A happy ending from Spidey and Morgan Freeman? Sign me up

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Esplanade posted:

I guess you could say that.

Marvel Mystery #2 (1940-ish)
Alligators in the marvel universe are bulletproof? Huh.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Zereth posted:

Alligators in the marvel universe are bulletproof? Huh.

They're pretty tough.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
2000AD 2260 opening night

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why is there a rapping alligator man?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kwyndig posted:

That's a 'Klegg', an alien race of alligator men that shows up fairly often in the Judge Dredd world.

This one is a rare gentle soul who is very interested in musical theatre, and has decided to stage a big budget musical biography of Judge Dredd. It's a spoof on Lin-Manuel Miranda and 'Hamilton'.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Kwyndig posted:

That's racist. He's clearly a rapping crocodile.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FMguru posted:

That's a 'Klegg', an alien race of alligator men that shows up fairly often in the Judge Dredd world.

This one is a rare gentle soul who is very interested in musical theatre, and has decided to stage a big budget musical biography of Judge Dredd. It's a spoof on Lin-Manuel Miranda and 'Hamilton'.

C'mon, that's not fair...

...to the alligator people.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FMguru posted:

I'm already sick of Mega Public Radio never shutting up about the Dredd musical.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darthemed posted:

Punisher 2099 #7 (1993)

I have JUST realised that Punisher 2099 was written by Pat Mills. How did I not know that?

Guess I've got some reading to do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Whiz Comics #39 (1943)

I misread this as "America Smash!" when I saw it the first time and was excited to see if he turned into a big green Uncle Sam next.

Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat! #10