Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SuperKlaus posted:

I mean did she bite him this time?

She did not, not even a little bit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
She's (probably) not looking for extra bite attacks of opportunity then! Congratulations on your sweet bird, whose temperament will never change for any reason or period of time.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

When she wants that bird barf

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Listening to music and Sinbad grinds beak during some songs and squeaks during others. We discuss his taste. My SO says he's eclectic. I say "no he's a Poicephalus." :dadjoke:

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PGM5YVxjFU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Listening to music and Sinbad grinds beak during some songs and squeaks during others. We discuss his taste. My SO says he's eclectic. I say "no he's a Poicephalus." :dadjoke:

Heyooo :buddy:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

One of my favourite things about birds is how supportive they are of your emotional state. So, say for a wild and totally random example, a two hour highway drive for work turned into a three hour drive through a snowstorm and icy conditions (passing two accidents, one of which had a very alarming number of emergency vehicles), and you get back to town too late to do a bunch of stuff you need to do which will just end up on tomorrow's list and it feels like you will never ever catch up, you can go home and rant to them about how hard your day was, and they will be supportively angry on your behalf even if it's late and they're tired and ready for bed.

They may not know why I'm upset, but they stand behind me 100%.

My back is just one huge knot of tension, my god.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RoboRodent posted:

My back is just one huge knot of tension, my god.

It's okay, they've got it

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My newly bird loving father, who I've told you many times before we moved in together was a self described "Animal Hater" due to animal attacks in his youth, had another first today.

We went to the local parrot shop for Serra to get a nail trim. Pops is still pretty intimidated by even medium sized parrots, let alone the big ones. They were pretty busy and full of boarding parrots for the holidays. I was with Serra at the counter, and Pops went back to the main room where parrots get to roam around during the day. I look back towards Dad, and a loving Eclectus male is climbing onto his shoulder. He looks slightly nervous, but also had an expression I've never really seen before - wonderment at an animal.

I mentioned to my friend at the counter, "I'll be damned, Pops is terrified of birds that size and now an eclectus is on his shoulder."

Her and the other woman behind the counter go :stare: and say, "The eclectus is on his shoulder?" and immediately both looked into the bird room, where the parrot was positively chuffed at being on Pop's shoulder.

Turns out, that bird hates everyone. When I walked up to say hello, he made possibly the single loudest scream I've ever heard from a parrot at me. Thank God Dad is already half deaf, or that would have ruptured his eardrums. After a bit, my father put the happy bird back on a play stand. It spent the rest of the visit following my Dad around the store, continuing to climb on him. When the employees went to gather the parrot, he started hissing and lunging.

It was heart warming see my father, who is beyond skittish around animals, look like a happy toddler getting to pet a puppy. :derptiel:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've noticed that animals, especially birds, that hate people will suddenly gravitate to people that hate animals. For some it makes sense like cats where paying attention is interpreted as hunting behavior, but it's still heartwarming to see :kimchi:

A common example with birds is the veteran that hates everyone and everything and the parrot that's been hurt by people helping to rehabilitate each other

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's excellent Captain Log. Congrats on your new eclectus also lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse posted:

I've noticed that animals, especially birds, that hate people will suddenly gravitate to people that hate animals. For some it makes sense like cats where paying attention is interpreted as hunting behavior, but it's still heartwarming to see :kimchi:

A common example with birds is the veteran that hates everyone and everything and the parrot that's been hurt by people helping to rehabilitate each other

While he does truly hate dogs, which are the animals that mauled him, other animals seems to make him more uneasy than inspiring hatred. But with parrots, that's all been flipped on its head. Still, big birds do make him nervous as hell.

I still cannot believe how ungodly loud that bird screamed at me. I feel like it beat out macaw and cockatoo screams by a long shot. Which is funny, because I've never heard much from eclectus parrots.

SuperKlaus posted:

That's excellent Captain Log. Congrats on your new eclectus also lol

Thank God this was a boarder bird. Otherwise I might be having to explain to Pops why a bird needier than a toddler might not be the best thing to get on a whim. (He does clearly want more birds, but I'm purposely very measured before bringing new feathers into the flock.) :derptiel:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/hpcUd0h.mp4

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Preening happily even away from home. A bird of the world, he has taken to traveling like a duck to water (my toddler nephew calls him a duck also).

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Preening happily even away from home. A bird of the world, he has taken to traveling like a duck to water (my toddler nephew calls him a duck also).

10/10 good duck

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Chaosfeather posted:

10/10 good duck

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A GBS thread making fun of reddit had content for this thread.

quote:

AITA for not punishing my parrot for cursing around my nephew and niece?

Ok this is a weird one. Longtime lurker first time poster and I’m on mobile so formatting might be a little weird. Also using throwaway.

I (22m) have an African grey parrot. His name is Storm bc I love X-men and he is light grey like a cloud. I love him with all my heart as does my gf (24f). My brother (31m) and SIL (27f) usually don’t have a problem with him and allow their kids to play with him as long as I’m watching.

I work from home and live alone (gf has her own place). When doing work or chores, and I mess something up, I can make sailors blush lol. I don’t curse that much around other people. African greys can learn words and say them, so Storm has a, let’s say, colorful vocabulary. When I’m alone/with my gf and he curses we just laugh it off. I also may have encouraged him cursing because he knows that if he curses I may give him more food because I find it funny.

Anyway a couple of hours ago my brother, SIL, and kids show up (kids are 12m and 7f if that’s important). So they come in we eat dinner and the kids want to play with Storm. So I get him out of his cage and they are holding him and feeding him out of their hands. I make the mistake of giving them the same food I give him more of if he curses. You can see where this is going. My nephew feeds him a snack and Storm says “loving HELL” at the top of his bird lungs. Everyone freezes and then Storm adds “HELL” one more time before I take him back to his cage. When I go back down nephew is laughing along with gf, niece is confused, and brother and SIL look FURIOUS. They ask if I said that and I had to pull up YouTube just to prove that parrots can talk. Then they calm down and ask how I’m gonna punish Storm. I’m confused and ask them what they mean. They say you punish someone to stop them from doing things. I say I won’t punish Storm and they leave. Then I get a text saying they won’t come back til I apologize. Gf thinks I should say I did to keep the peace. Nephew and niece want to see Storm again.

AITA? Should I lie and say I punished him, taking the risk this may happen again?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ha

i guess it's fine if he gets to stay with him for the rest of his life. otherwise this can make it really hard to find homes for birds

anyway i just wanted to say i think about all the posters bird friends in this thread a lot

also my spouse regularly keeps up on the bird drama here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

The comments are a laugh, after they finally realised it was the parrot talking, they got mad at the parrot

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know about Storm but Sinbad clearly understands every word I say because he is an intelligent special boy and therefore when I chastise him for misbehaving it works. I assume other parrots are the same.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cythereal posted:

That is extremely stdh.txt but it's a good idea for a sitcom plot

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Not sure how old this is. Unmute!
https://i.imgur.com/02xrVQO.mp4

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's Tico (and the man)! Tico posting is always welcome. He's put out some Christmas specials recently. What's interesting to me is that while he clearly has an inventory of sounds and you start hearing familiar ones when you watch several videos, he also clearly changes up his energy level and rhythm to vaguely match the music. Also sometimes part of his vocals is "Tico!"

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Gumi is always a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1uVSQQ4_AM

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

SuperKlaus posted:

That's Tico (and the man)! Tico posting is always welcome. He's put out some Christmas specials recently. What's interesting to me is that while he clearly has an inventory of sounds and you start hearing familiar ones when you watch several videos, he also clearly changes up his energy level and rhythm to vaguely match the music. Also sometimes part of his vocals is "Tico!"

I want a study on parrots and music, because this animal clearly has some understanding of pitch and improv. Certain phrases repeat, but that's going to be the case with pretty much any musician on the planet.

This parrot seems to have some grasp not only of music, but pitch and improv.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

There is a lorikeet family with two babies in the tree right outside my door, and they have been screaming at their parents for food all morning. Kids, man.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This seems an appropriate enough time to post Amadeus enjoying her 80s music.

Fleetwood Mac Radio are her current jams. She's lucky I love her.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This seems an appropriate enough time to post Amadeus enjoying her 80s music.

Fleetwood Mac Radio are her current jams. She's lucky I love her.

That there is a goofus

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't have Facebook any more but apparently there's a page called "Thiccles the fat purple ringneck " which, sold on title alone

But they also apparently have two green cheeks called "the beans" who were siblings and having an incestuous love affair. They had been oiling the eggs but apparently missed one, because hello incest baby

They named him Joffrey :kimchi:

And of course the parrots you don't want breeding turn out to be amazing first time parents

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DarkHorse posted:

I don't have Facebook any more but apparently there's a page called "Thiccles the fat purple ringneck " which, sold on title alone

But they also apparently have two green cheeks called "the beans" who were siblings and having an incestuous love affair. They had been oiling the eggs but apparently missed one, because hello incest baby

They named him Joffrey :kimchi:

And of course the parrots you don't want breeding turn out to be amazing first time parents

he's already adorable

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That's a very cute incest baby

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Some friends came to visit yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/ZG40yvG.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Patrovsky posted:

God, I live in the wrong country.

I would never leave my porch.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
https://i.imgur.com/iXYGeqm.mp4

Mayo talks to me in the morning! Turn sound on

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Patrovsky posted:

Tongues flailing like punk rockers

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love all of these birds

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Patrovsky posted:

These are alien beings (and I love them)

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Tsaedje posted:

These are alien beings (and I love them)

Those two in particular are big old weirdos. If they see my hands, they will run up to try and bite them. Before I started filming here, they were running up to my arms to try and find my hidden hands so they could take a chomp out, but once the camera came out, they were a little more dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Friend of mine did up a painting in procreate she titled “King Crow,” which I used some of my personal project allowances at work to have printed on acrylic (with an extra copy for me, with her permission.)

Since I know we have some corvid fans in the thread, for your consideration: