Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I will never understand that need that so many people have for you to believe in the same bullshit religion as they do.

Could be because you believe in one of the bullshit ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pneub posted:

I imagine adult Bobby being 6'6" but with the exact same proportions.

I feel like he'd look like the guy in the Americana.jpg thread that everyone thinks is hilarious.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just watched the alamo beer episode. Peggy is great in it.

All of these calls are from Mexicans. Now, their Spanish wasn't great, but I was able to gather that they got sick after drinking Alamo beer.

Plus megan mullally

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

killer crane posted:

They addressed this in the mega church episode, kind of.

Also Hank is a Methodist; I think his problem with the youth group was more that Hank loves liturgy, and saw the youth group worship as a bunch of vapid emotionalism. In the end he was probably right about it just being something bobby got swept up in.

One of my favorite religion bits was during the reincarnation episode when Hank catches Bobby meditating and scolds him as they are Methodists. Bobby innocently asks what a Methodist is, and Hank can't answer so takes him to see Pastor Stroop who explains it is a rejection of Calvinism, and Hank nods and goes yup that's it. It was such a good observation of how someone can go to a church for decades without ever being expected to have an understanding of why their branch exists or think to question if it is the right choice, then getting upset when the next generation asks why are we going here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

One of my favorite religion bits was during the reincarnation episode when Hank catches Bobby meditating and scolds him as they are Methodists. Bobby innocently asks what a Methodist is, and Hank can't answer so takes him to see Pastor Stroop who explains it is a rejection of Calvinism, and Hank nods and goes yup that's it. It was such a good observation of how someone can go to a church for decades without ever being expected to have an understanding of why their branch exists or think to question if it is the right choice, then getting upset when the next generation asks why are we going here.

See, that's my problem with Methodists; no Calvinball, no deal.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

CHANE WASSANASONG IS STILL YOUR LAMA!!!!!!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Arson Daily posted:

I feel like I've lived both sides of this episode. Both as a teenager way into youth group and now as a middle aged dad. God forbid hank let's Bobby choose his own path to the lord. No, it's gotta be hanks way or the highway because hank is too insecure to let his son make a mistake here and there as he grows up.

The last supper suicide cult b-plot was way more interesting and the boys being really superstitious about death was really enlightening.

The B-plot in this episode was so good that I forgot what the A-plot was until just now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What does your shirt say Hank? Satan rules?

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Peggys in the parking lot... she looks disgruntled!!

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I thought we agreed never to discuss the horrors we saw on the killing grounds of the Fun Center.

quote:

I feel like I've lived both sides of this episode. Both as a teenager way into youth group and now as a middle aged dad. God forbid hank let's Bobby choose his own path to the lord. No, it's gotta be hanks way or the highway because hank is too insecure to let his son make a mistake here and there as he grows up.

The last supper suicide cult b-plot was way more interesting and the boys being really superstitious about death was really enlightening.

I thought the B plot was *really* weak by koth b-plot standards. It doesn't really go anywhere.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

quote:

Al Yankovic blew his brains out in the 80s when people quit buying his records

who is Hank thinking of here?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Shishkahuben posted:

who is Hank thinking of here?

weird al yankovic who blew his brains out in the 80s when people stopped buying his records

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Shishkahuben posted:

I thought we agreed never to discuss the horrors we saw on the killing grounds of the Fun Center.

I thought the B plot was *really* weak by koth b-plot standards. It doesn't really go anywhere.

Gonna disagree, I thought it was fun and they bother to provide a character consistent reason for Kahn to hang out with Bill and Dale. In later seasons he's just present by default. I also liked Dale musing about the quandary of whether to escape while the guards search for the rarest truffle or to eat it.

Later season B plots got dire:
-Meanwhile, Peggy, Kahn and Bill try to achieve Internet stardom by creating a wacky viral video.
-Meanwhile, Dale buys a keyboard so he can accentuate conversation with musical flourishes.
-Meanwhile, Hank tries to solve the mystery of who's been discarding trash in his trash cans.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

weird al yankovic who blew his brains out in the 80s when people stopped buying his records

Al loves that clip enough to include it in his live shows

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Later season B plots got dire:

-Meanwhile, Dale buys a keyboard so he can accentuate conversation with musical flourishes.

Wait, this is a weird thing to do?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rewatching the seasons I'm genuinely struck by how horrible Peggy is. Hank doesn't understand half of what makes Bobby tick, but in the end supports him. Peggy on the other hand acts supportive at the beginning but then feels threatened and sabotages everything.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Peggy rules, episodes about her are some of the funniest

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I love the one where Bobby is better at home ec than her after like 3 classes

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Cemetry Gator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCTMNPiaO2I

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PokeJoe posted:

I love the one where Bobby is better at home ec than her after like 3 classes

Yeah, I had just watched this episode. Peggy episodes are great. That one, and her teaching Spanish as a nun are some of my favorites.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

reminder that king of the hill is a documentary and suburban Texas is absolutely rank with Peggys

if anything, they give her too many redeeming qualities

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
"oh my god what if all this button is doing is sending an electric shock through a wire hooked up straight to Bobby's nipples!?" *panics and pushes the doorbell by gate even faster*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Peggy is like one of those tiered memes

tier 1 - hating peggy because she's a terrible character
tier 2 - loving peggy because she's a terrible person
tier 3 - loving peggy because she's a terrible character
tier 4 - loving peggy because she's a terrible person

or something like that.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The one time Peggy was right about something Michael Keaton was turned into a sausage

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKEjv8ZdbCY

uvula

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
So why do the Sousphanousiphones live in the same neighborhood as the "rednecks" if Kahn's salary is so much higher? I feel like they addressed it at some pount

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

So why do the Sousphanousiphones live in the same neighborhood as the "rednecks" if Kahn's salary is so much higher? I feel like they addressed it at some pount

I think because while Kahn is a high earner they are terrible with money and live paycheck to paycheck, so have no savings. Kahn also seems to job hop frequently and move cities so they looked down on Arlen but also viewed it as temporary.

After a while Minh appreciates that the neighbors grudgingly accept them so vetos a move to Houston (I think) so Kahn now has a ridiculous commute.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's a cartoon

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It's a cartoon

Oh word?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thinking about Kahn's job is just wasted time.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

After a while Minh appreciates that the neighbors grudgingly accept them so vetos a move to Houston (I think) so Kahn now has a ridiculous commute.

I love that line from Minh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Thinking about Kahn's job is just wasted time.

As opposed to posting about posting about thinking about Khan's job?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

As opposed to posting about posting about thinking about Khan's job?

There's an appropriate level of giving a poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

There's an appropriate level of giving a poo poo.

Sure, but let people enjoy things basically

Sometimes "overthinking" about fiction is just therapeutic fun

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cemetry Gator posted:

Not according to Space Ghost.

Check this out in its entirety because it's wonderful, or just skip to 2:45.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
all these years i've wasted thinking about Kahn's job. :negative:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Sure, but let people enjoy things basically

Sometimes "overthinking" about fiction is just therapeutic fun

Contrarily if you overthink it and nail things down too much that can affect the fun as well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Contrarily if you overthink it and nail things down too much that can affect the fun as well.

Sure, sure. That's true.

Different strokes

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Sure, sure. That's true.

Different strokes

I like that the they aren't too married to continuity. If you pick at what has been shown about Peggy's mom the whole thing would fall apart.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see why the fact that it's animated has anything to do with any of that though. Just seemed dismissive of the art form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I don't see why the fact that it's animated has anything to do with any of that though. Just seemed dismissive of the art form

I just wanted to let the writers off the hook.