Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagacity posted:

Perhaps they did some market research and it seems like an investment that'll pay off to them?

In the B2B technology market, there's a lot of weird poo poo that gets sold because it appeals to the top execs who sign the checks and make the purchasing decisions, even though the line employees who'll be forced to use the stuff will absolutely hate it. This Metaverse stuff sounds like the perfect example. The C-levels will love the idea of screwing around in VR during their meetings, at least for a few weeks...and that'll be enough to get them to buy several hundred VR headsets for the whole company along with a year-long subscription to something, regardless of whether it's any use to the people who do actual work. "Is it useful?" and "will top executives buy it?" often have different answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Metaverse is a solution in search of a problem and is going to be willed into existence for the advertising opportunities

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagacity posted:

Perhaps they did some market research and it seems like an investment that'll pay off to them?

Why would this be the first time they do that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nachos posted:

Metaverse is a solution in search of a problem and is going to be willed into existence for the advertising opportunities

More it was willed into existence to try to help cover up Facebooks bad press.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

My call is the B2B aspect is going to be attempting to replace tradeshows and other communal sales situations. No travel means a huge savings for a company and therefore money available for VR. There will be filters for recipients to change everyone's avatar to something they consider respectable (without the other person knowing) so that sales people don't have to converse with dragonload888's penis.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

unknown posted:

My call is the B2B aspect is going to be attempting to replace tradeshows and other communal sales situations. No travel means a huge savings for a company and therefore money available for VR. There will be filters for recipients to change everyone's avatar to something they consider respectable (without the other person knowing) so that sales people don't have to converse with dragonload888's penis.

And they will call this feature "NFTs" or "No Furry Toons".

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

unknown posted:

These programs already exist. Having had to sit through one of these a few years back, it's hell.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
having a filter like that sounds like a bad idea.

That means there's literally a different VR reality(lol already having nested reality levels) that an ingroup sees vs another group. Also there's a non zero / 100 chance that someone will fatfinger or forget to enable it and suddenly your very serious biz client sees all the dumbshit. its 0 risk just to have a 1000% sanitized boring zuck/fortnight style avatars. (also some people still dont get how to do basic 101 videochat stuff, if they dont care enough to do it in real life, theyre not going to do it if given the choice/freedom in wacky VR world)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Main Paineframe posted:

In the B2B technology market, there's a lot of weird poo poo that gets sold because it appeals to the top execs who sign the checks and make the purchasing decisions, even though the line employees who'll be forced to use the stuff will absolutely hate it. This Metaverse stuff sounds like the perfect example. The C-levels will love the idea of screwing around in VR during their meetings, at least for a few weeks...and that'll be enough to get them to buy several hundred VR headsets for the whole company along with a year-long subscription to something, regardless of whether it's any use to the people who do actual work. "Is it useful?" and "will top executives buy it?" often have different answers.

One year our CEO was really into Yammer for some reason. He wanted everyone to be social so it got sent down the chain and every employee was required to make at least 4 posts or else it would count against you in your yearly review.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Eh, Yammer isn't *terrible*. We mostly use it for technical questions that someone in the organization probably knows the answers to, but you don't know who or got anyone on hand to ask. Also a slightly more trustworthy facebook marketplace. But lol on Mandatory Social Fun on it.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

unknown posted:

My company held an internal conference with one of these only recently. It was basically Zoom with a lobby, some menus, and gamification.

It completely sucked - the A/V was worse than a proper VC platform, the UI added clunkiness to the experience and most people turned off any kind of “enrichment” feature anyway. It didn’t help that it was all browser based Web 3.0 garbage.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Our corporate yammer is a circle jerk of toxic positivity about whatever dumb new "innovation initiative" upper management has put in place after reading a tech buzzword in a Forbes article.

If you ever wondered what happened to those suspiciously cheerful overachieving rich kids with perfect attendance from high school, they are all spending their days on our yammer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our yammer is like 30% obscure design/construction questions getting answered by experts around the world, and 70% people cutting and pasting corporate messaging to each other at their boss's direction (and liking/sharing same).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
There are people using yammer outside of MS? I can't imagine thinking it is a good idea unless you are all in on thought leadership and Microsoft cool aid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mega Comrade posted:

The research seemed to be "facebook are doing it, quick copy them"

Remember the pivot to video?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tech Nightmares: Improved meat probe accuracy

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Similarly,

Remember the pivot to stories?

Remember the pivot to the short videos?

Remember the pivot to group audio spaces?

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 28, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MiddleOne posted:

Similarly,

Remember the pivot to stories?

Remember the pivot to the short videos?

Remember the pivot to group audio spaces?

Clubhouse has an issue with the bandwidth it requires.

I've done zoom video calls without issues in the same areas where Clubhouse breaks down because of lack of bandwidth.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tbf that involved outright fraud

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If facebook's VR poo poo gives us the cool cyberpunk matrix from the 80s and 90s I can't be too mad at it.

It won't, but you know, a goon can dream.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

having a filter like that sounds like a bad idea.

That means there's literally a different VR reality(lol already having nested reality levels) that an ingroup sees vs another group. Also there's a non zero / 100 chance that someone will fatfinger or forget to enable it and suddenly your very serious biz client sees all the dumbshit. its 0 risk just to have a 1000% sanitized boring zuck/fortnight style avatars. (also some people still dont get how to do basic 101 videochat stuff, if they dont care enough to do it in real life, theyre not going to do it if given the choice/freedom in wacky VR world)

See also: that guy who couldn't figure out how to turn off the cat face snapchat filter during a Zoom call of legal proceedings

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The cat filter was part of the crapware included in his particular vintage of Dell laptop.

Which if anything illustrates the problem better.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

aniviron posted:

If facebook's VR poo poo gives us the cool cyberpunk matrix from the 80s and 90s I can't be too mad at it.

It won't, but you know, a goon can dream.

I'm a facepunk :smug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xarn posted:

There are people using yammer outside of MS? I can't imagine thinking it is a good idea unless you are all in on thought leadership and Microsoft cool aid.

If they're like any of the last couple places I've worked, Yammer is the "tell the company what an absolutely perfect job it's doing in every way so that the C levels can see what a perfect immaculate job they are doing. And do it in a way that your name and all contact details are right next to it."

Also, make it mandatory to have at least one post a week.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/tprstly/status/1460023033339551747

https://twitter.com/stillinbeta/status/1456679055562997760

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Play to... earn??

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
aka it's a pyramid scheme, where new players fund payouts to older players

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mods, please rename the thread "Tech Nightmares: Inexplicably this involves the blockchain".

And then rename all of SA "mediocre website with 20mb of javascript".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

How are u posted:

Play to... earn??

Imagine if there were capped numbers of good items in MMORPGs, and once that cap is hit, the only way to get your hands on those items is to buy them from other people. Also, imagine that instead of using an in-game currency, the game only uses outside currencies like Bitcoin and Etherium or a bespoke cryptocurrency, so it's encouraged to plow real money into buying the currencies necessary to engage in these inter-player sales.

Now imagine crypto nerds and MMO poopsockers being able to tell their parents that they're spending eighteen hours a day grinding out MMO items as an investment, and that all that videogame time will surely lead them to massive profits in the player economy.

Of course, in the end it boils down to the same dilemma as every other crypto scam - if the whole system is designed around letting early adopters and dedicated devotees hoard up the vast majority of the stuff while forcing later adopters and casual dabblers to buy it from that first gen at a huge markup, well...how many people do you really expect to get in on the bottom rung of Pyramid Scheme: The Game? Play-to-earn is basically play-to-win, except that instead of paying the game maker to not have a miserable experience, you have to pay the older players.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Mods, please rename the thread "Tech Nightmares: Inexplicably this involves the blockchain"..

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Main Paineframe posted:

Now imagine crypto nerds and MMO poopsockers being able to tell their parents that they're spending eighteen hours a day grinding out MMO items as an investment, and that all that videogame time will surely lead them to massive profits in the player economy.

Which is already happening in the Philippines and Argentina through essentially gold-farming schemes. Except of needing just computer and internet access, you also need someone to stake the initial ~$1500 USD to get started.

And of course we've got someone trying to make a Roblox-style scheme work except that it appears they want their content-creator base to pay for every asset, every plot of land, and every gacha-like modifier to participate in their ecosystem. When the thing they're aping already has issues with exploitation, I can't imagine this ever getting off the ground without insane levels of investment from the parent company seeking out partnerships. Just like Atari has (sure, expected from a company pretending to be still doing video games) or brands like the Smurfs (?) and the Care Bears (?????).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its done.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think GBS's butt thread had an an article from some old man about "what if mario from mario kart was an nft."

also is Jack stepping down as birdsite's CEO good or bad? Is it bad because its a sign of them jumping shark like Zuck's recent stuff?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

I think GBS's butt thread had an an article from some old man about "what if mario from mario kart was an nft."

also is Jack stepping down as birdsite's CEO good or bad? Is it bad because its a sign of them jumping shark like Zuck's recent stuff?

It's good because Jack sucks, it's bad because the new CEO was hand-picked by Jack.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
jack doesn't seem to be having a fun time as a ceo so im guessing he's just off to spend more time working on his eating disorder in the woods somewhere

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

He wanted to move to Africa and still be CEO a couple of years back .

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Silicon Valley was a documentary.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Professor Beetus posted:

Silicon Valley was a documentary.

No Gilfoyle they're secured on the Blockchain and nothing you can do will ever take that away from me.

I have right clicked on your jpeg Dinesh. I have your ape Dinesh. Now I am deleting the file. In the time it took you to explain it to me I made a perfect clone of your ape and killed it. In the future this is all our fate. The basilisk will torture us all.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I chuckled at the 4/134 upthread thinking it was a joke.

No there are 100+ posts in that tweet thread.

Please dunk on me because I didn’t read all the way to THE ARISTOCRATS.

…please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Jack has been an aloof figurehead for years now, he's much more interested in ruining some new thing for everyone