Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It's a bit sparse, but better than it was at launch. Most of the recent packs have come with updates to the base game, but you're probably going to want to get a few packs at least after awhile. Best to decide on which ones after you've played around for awhile and know what you're missing. No point getting parenthood if you only play as single YA sims etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Seconding this, play around with just the base game for a while and get a feel for how you want to play the game and what kind of play you like and then start making a list of any expansions or packs you’re interested in.
The good thing is that they’ll be on sale over Christmas so you’ll be able to pick up some bargains.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The problem I always have with the sims dlcs is that I can never choose which ones I want and make some very unreasonable decisions as a result, lol. I guess ts4 will be a good exercise in restraint for me

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

macabresca posted:

The problem I always have with the sims dlcs is that I can never choose which ones I want and make some very unreasonable decisions as a result, lol. I guess ts4 will be a good exercise in restraint for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEi9FFZhqn0

LGR guides helped me when I was looking for DLC

Seasons is always a good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3SyvwwXZzU

here's what I used to look for good mods

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

fit em all up in there posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEi9FFZhqn0

LGR guides helped me when I was looking for DLC

Seasons is always a good choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3SyvwwXZzU

here's what I used to look for good mods

I liked when LGR was left a broken husk of a man after the Star Wars expansion, and it really seemed like he might stop reviewing Sims all together. It was very engaging stuff.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Star Wars expansion was... okay. The only thing I really got out of it was a lightsaber, which let my pasty nerd of a character (I make myself in the Sims most of the time) train Athletics without needing a home gym.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dareon posted:

The Star Wars expansion was... okay. The only thing I really got out of it was a lightsaber, which let my pasty nerd of a character (I make myself in the Sims most of the time) train Athletics without needing a home gym.

Now I'm imagining someone recreating the star wars kid and getting hella swole off it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Some of the stuff packs are surprisingly good. I'm also happy that in Sims 4 they finally made vampires their own pack, so I can avoid them, instead of bundling them with cool stuff that I want.

The city living pack is the DLC I enjoyed the most, the neighborhoods are cool, apartments too, and the objects look great. Parenting pack is decent if you like playing families. Seasons has weather and holidays which is nice.

Allegedly the jobs expansion is not great, I listened to the reviewers and didn't buy it so can't speak from experience.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get To Work was decidedly "meh" for me. Not my least favorite but only by an inch. It can be fun to go to your sim's job and manually do things, but really your sims loving off to the ether for work/school is a good thing for a reason. After a few days I just stopped bothering and had them vanish to the work dimension.

The store mechanics are... not very well designed. It can take an absurdly long time to get a sim to buy something, and if a group chat happens? Two customers talk to one another you may as well forget getting them to buy anything. Hiring staff is pointless, they gently caress around all day.

At least the scientist career has fun stuff to mess around with.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Journey to Batuu was a huge disappointment for me. :(

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Journey to Batuu was a huge disappointment for me. :(

I have to say that Journey to Batuu was the most 'game like' of the sims expacs. Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a FUN game, but it was game like. There was both, too much to do and too little to do *at the same time*. I also thought it was brave that it didn't seem to be play tested.

I got it during one of their super sales, and I usually buy the expacs for the build stuff/hair style stuff anyway, so i figured...why not?! I loaded up the family and headed to Batuu. All the toddlers immediately got filthy and starved. Everyone else was bored lol. JUST LIKE ME! It was like staring into a mirror the whole time I played it. Worst family vacay ever. It was also amazing how hard you had to ride your sims to get anything done. They were always running off to go sleep because they were always bored and tired.

As a bonus, all the aliens realized what a poo poo hole they lived in and moved. So you'd see the boney headed gal strolling through Magnolia Park with her new husband Alexander Goth. I did try to fix some of the most egregious stuff with build mode, but that only broke it more. No one would do *anything* but the new build mode stuff I put in.

I don't think I even made it past imperial nub officer. My smuggler may have made it a little further, but truthfully it was such chore boy bullshit I may have quit it even earlier.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'd say the best ones to start with are Seasons, City Living, and then the Parenting game pack. They add the broadest content to the game.

After that maybe Island Living, Discover University, or Snowy Escape. They're a lot more focused on the individual neighborhoods and lifestyles therein so it depends which one appeals to you (the modern Japanese town aesthetic of Snowy Escape in particular is pretty different).

Get to Work was fairly bland and Eco Lifestyle's core mechanic was more annoying than anything (having to constantly vote so your neighborhood doesn't enact a law that everyone wears paper bags on their heads).

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Thanks for all the advice! I knew that seasons and parenting are probably worthwhile but didn't know that city living is so good. As for the star wars one, baby yoda figurine is in the base game and that's as far as my interest in that goes :v:

btw, what about pets? or, sorry, cats&dogs and that separate my first pet pack?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
How is 4 nowadays for someone that typically plays one person households? 3 was great for that with the open world and all the antics you could get up to, so trying to decide if I should spin up 3 again or try the new hotness with the Steam sale.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

How is 4 nowadays for someone that typically plays one person households? 3 was great for that with the open world and all the antics you could get up to, so trying to decide if I should spin up 3 again or try the new hotness with the Steam sale.

It gets a bit boring to watch your only sim sit there and s-l-o-w-l-y eat a bowl of porridge, overall 2-person households are probably the optimum. But there's definitely a lot to do. If you get the city living pack, it kind of has an open world in that there are some areas you can access from your apartment without fast traveling, and there's always something going on out there.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

macabresca posted:

Thanks for all the advice! I knew that seasons and parenting are probably worthwhile but didn't know that city living is so good. As for the star wars one, baby yoda figurine is in the base game and that's as far as my interest in that goes :v:

Cats & Dogs is pretty cool, you can do a lot of customization for the Cats/Dogs, they have a decent amount of gameplay, and the Vet stuff is alright. My First Pet...it's alright. It's got some pet outfits, a couple of not very interactable small pets, and some furniture.

Get to Work is alright, but only really worth it if you are specifically attracted to the Scientist/Detective/Doctor careers or want to run a retail store (it's a bit finnicky). Baking is cool too but just a cooking duplicate.

Get Together is my favorite essential expansion, the club stuff is incredibly customizable and lets you do all kinds of fun stuff.

City Living...the apartment stuff is alright, the neighborhood is pretty good, and the festivals and Social Media careers are decent.

Seasons is just overall good, the seasons and activities and holiday/calendar stuff along with gardening make it def essential.

Get Famous is only if you specifically want to be a famous actor or something.

Island Living has a good neighborhood, get it if it sounds interesting.

Discover University...personally I hated this version of the Uni even with mods to make it less tedious. If you really, really want to get your buggy student experience in.

Eco Lifestyle is meh, but has some cool objects.

Snowy Escape has all the japanese style stuff which well, who doesn't want that.

Cottage Living just has some good stuff for the self-sustaining/farming lifestyle.

The Game Packs are all alright, but should only be bought if they sound interesting. Dine Out for running a restaurant, Vampires are surprisingly fleshed out, Parenthood is really good if you do generations, Realm of Magic has some decent depth too. I would avoid Star Wars/Strangerville/Jungle Adventures.

And for stuff packs...Knitting is decent, Tiny Living is great, Laundry Day is alright. The only other notables are Perfect Patio having hot tubs, Vintage Glamour having a butler, and Kid's Room has yugioh.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

macabresca posted:

Cats and Dogs was my second pack after Seasons, and it's kind of a mixed bag. The new neighborhood (a sleepy coastal New England town) is probably my favorite, and it adds a ton of really, really good build mode stuff, but a lot of the added features end up either being pointless or an exercise in frustration. Vet visits in particular are unbelievably annoying because they quite often struggle to work properly, at least for me.

If you like cats or dogs though, it's probably worth it because a lot of the interactions are really cute, and if you ever get Realm of Magic, you can make your pet your wizard's familiar which fuckin rules.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Jungle adventure and spa day (especially since the refresh) have amazing build items and are criminally underrated.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

pidan posted:

It gets a bit boring to watch your only sim sit there and s-l-o-w-l-y eat a bowl of porridge, overall 2-person households are probably the optimum. But there's definitely a lot to do. If you get the city living pack, it kind of has an open world in that there are some areas you can access from your apartment without fast traveling, and there's always something going on out there.

Thanks, that's good to know. If I do end up playing with a roommate or something in the house, how's the autonomy for Sims you're not actively controlling?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

macabresca posted:

Cats&Dogs has my favorite neighborhood, barely edging out Island Living's. The pet gameplay is slightly finicky (My experience is colored by tossing my pet a scrap of food, them failing to eat it, and it staying hidden under the dining table for days, giving everyone a Disgusted moodlet that I mistakenly thought came from the litter box), but very cute.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Thanks, that's good to know. If I do end up playing with a roommate or something in the house, how's the autonomy for Sims you're not actively controlling?
In the same instance, about the same as it's ever been i.e. idiotic except it's harder than ever to really screw a sim up or kill them or set the house on fire. It generally doesn't take a lot of attention to at least make sure they aren't ruining their life at least.

When you're visiting a lot by yourself, sims left at home are treated like being down a rabbit hole with different drop down options that affect how their needs drain or recharge in exchange for skill gains etc.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
A cool feature about free will in TS4 that I don't think was in any other Sims game is that there's an option in the menu to turn off free will specifically for the selected Sim, so you can have a household of multiple Sims but still sort of play it like a single Sim game. It also avoids that problem I had with free will in previous games where my selected Sim would wander off all the time and I spent a lot of clicking just clearing out their action queue as it filled up with stupid poo poo.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I think 3 had that patched in at some point as well

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Maybe I'll experiment with adding roommates just to see what stupid poo poo they get up to. Pretty sure you can set them to be uncontrollable.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

PizzaProwler posted:

A cool feature about free will in TS4 that I don't think was in any other Sims game is that there's an option in the menu to turn off free will specifically for the selected Sim, so you can have a household of multiple Sims but still sort of play it like a single Sim game. It also avoids that problem I had with free will in previous games where my selected Sim would wander off all the time and I spent a lot of clicking just clearing out their action queue as it filled up with stupid poo poo.

Life imitates art or art imitates life....

Naw I get what you mean, there's a difference between sims jank and "someone would stay up all night watching tv on a work night".

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My favorite kind of Sim to play is typically some variant of a Renaissance Man Mad Scientist. Super skilled, super athletic, goes through as many careers as possible to get all the swinging rewards, and ends up creating a vast underground facility underneath their swanky mansion filled with pieces of fine art, fish, every variety of plant and career rewards, workbenches for every kind of craftable, and sims from as many weird life states as possible, which s/he monitors for their experiments. I've been doing variants of that since the Sims: Bustin Out and that bitchin' tesla coil that game had.

So I'm the sort of Simmer who always loves the more supernatural Sim packs. The weirder the better. I just love collecting skills, souveniers, and people in these games.

I still haven't gotten Journey to Batuu, though, because I think that just looks dumb.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Maybe I'll experiment with adding roommates just to see what stupid poo poo they get up to. Pretty sure you can set them to be uncontrollable.

Enjoy them when after feeling a little hungry they cook an entire turkey dinner and then just leave it on the table.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dawgstar posted:

Enjoy them when after feeling a little hungry they cook an entire turkey dinner and then just leave it on the table.
God I wish, they usually get a snack out of the fridge and stand there for 2 hours blocking anyone from going into the fridge next.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Sims 4 roommates are so janky. They're basically impossible to please and will move out at the drop of a hat because a dish they threw on the floor makes the place "too dirty".

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

That poo poo gets my sims through college

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I haven't played Sims in a long time but suddenly had an urge to pick it up again - is that glitch where people would never eat the food they cooked gone?

And din't there used to be a way where in the gallery you could only set it to show households/lots/whaterver that used items from the packs you have? Even if I only select the packs I have on the sidebar it'll show me a shitload of stuff with items I don't have.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Nope, they'll just set the food right there on the counter and complain about being hungry. Probably get a glass of water in the split second you're not paying attention

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Wow really? I know EA is lazy as gently caress, but I hadn't played this game for almost a full year...what the hell are the monthly patches doing?

Anyone know any good mods to fix this? I had a mod that just disabled auto cooking, but hopefully in the last year something better has come along.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think 4 is just a turd that cant be satisfactorily polished tbh and if you want to play the sims you should play the semi-functional version of sims 3 that modders cobbled together

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Alternatively :pirate:.

I think Sims 4 is slightly better than Sims 3 for me due to its performance and graphics but it’s definitely not worth paying the astronomical fee EA wants both due to the quality and quantity of the content and the price of admission.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I played the most recent updated version of 4 few days ago and had no issues with Sims not eating food they had just made.

Also can't look it up right now, but I'm 99% sure you can filter out content you don't own in the gallery... But the Gallery UI has always been borderline unusable, so just because something is possible to do in it doesn't mean it can be done intuitively / works every time.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 12, 2021

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Even if you download a build with content you don't have, the game automatically puts in the next best substitute that it find. Either that or it just removes any objects you don't have access to. It won't lock out access to downloaded lots outright, thankfully.

Similar sort of situation with downloaded sims. It'll automatically remove content that you don't have off of the sims. You'll have to manually load in that sim into CAS and replace missing items with whatever you do have. It's kind of a pain, but really not that bad overall. I think it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to edit existing sims/lots in previous Sims games, anyway.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

sims 3 is unplayable for me because of the attempts to be realistic with the doughy pudding faces

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Splash Attack posted:

sims 3 is unplayable for me because of the attempts to be realistic with the doughy pudding faces

Yeah this is what I mean when I say 4 has superior graphics. Every Sim in 3 slowly inches more and more pudding.

Literally in the case of an unmodded game even, due to how it handles inheritance (iirc when it adds random variation to the faces of newly generated Sims, like from birth, the only preset face it will draw from is 1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Attach Sims 4 Create-A-Sim to The Sims 2, and also port such mechanics as are implied by it like sliders for muscle and fat rather than just three discrete fitness states. That's how you make the perfect Sims.