Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

trucutru posted:

Cargo ship size comparison

The giant dildo on the left is the Hulll-E (None of the Hull ships are available to fly in-game) with a capacity of 98,304 SCU. It was sold for 550 real American dollars. The tiny orange thing is the RAFT with its impressive 3 yellow containers for a grand total of 96 SCU. It costs 125 bucks. So 1/1024 times the cargo space for 1/4.4 times the money. A good investment if I may say so.

The purple TMNT vehicle is the Xi'an Railen. It's main selling point is that it has "Bespoke triangular cargo-pods". Seriously.

What ship is the yellow bus?

Please tell me that this armor is called mosquito, but also, what the gently caress is that??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21eQfit5-zw

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still finding it funny how these clowns fall for the same scam every year.

What's the profits at currently?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
the words of the profits are written on the subway walls, and mess halls.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

What ship is the yellow bus?

That's a 32scu cargo container for the raft. The standardized container that is used by a single ship (each one uses a different kind of container, even the ones from the same manufacturer).

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

trucutru posted:

That's a 32scu cargo container for the raft. The standardized container that is used by a single ship (each one uses a different kind of container, even the ones from the same manufacturer).

I like how a thousand years into the future, they've become so evolved that intermodal shipping was replaced with "whatever, who cares if it fits".

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Kavros posted:

So we find out if the new company structure lets people turn this into a game. If they've learned literally anything, Chris will force himself to take a backseat and let project management personnel set scope boundaries and work towards minimum viable performance. If Chris is just too Chris to be constrained, that'll never happen and the new office won't fix dev talent drain or his atomic micromanagement paralysis conditions. Earlier I would have assumed this was a foregone conclusion (Chris is too Chris) but Chris does seem exhausted and the progress on his project is starting to eclipse his influence. I usually test this by watching where RSI ships are.

Hm. I never played SC myself, but my understanding is that there are two major issues.
1. The general lack of an overarching design concept, of which the Death of a Spacemen issue is just one aspect. I don't really see how the interests of people who have spent tens of thousands on this game and people who are willing to spend fifty bucks on a video game can be aligned (unless the latter can be motivated to spend fifty bucks on a floor mopping simulator, which I find unlikely).
2. The fact that a modified decade-old FPS engine is not a good choice for a space game. I only know IT from project management and contract and regulatory law, but to me it seems that there are hard limits on what can be done with the engine limitations.
No idea if even a decent project manager with adequate budget and full authority could turn this around.

Also, going further, there's the lack of a concept how to translate promised content into gameplay. Like people said above, is science gameplay shooting your funding gun in the science mines? And finally, even if you manage to get a reasonable Unreal-5-based multiplayer Privateer 2* on the road, you'll still fail expectations worse than Elizabeth Holmes.

*Until this day, there has been no sequel to Privateer. None.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Blackstone posted:

Oh shush. It was the best game ever in its insanity.

Well, if you ignore the gameplay bits.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The sequel to Privateer is obviously Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

trucutru posted:

Yeah as others have said, those are 3 ships that tackle exploration in different ways.

Endeavor: Science from a distance. Big telscope and the capabilities to process the science retrieved from the exploration ships that go into the dangerous waters to retrieve the raw science material. Honestly it's like a "refinery" for science materials.

Odyssey: Long-range science material retrieval specializing in geographical and mineral sciences. But can still scan for data sciences to a lesser extent.

Carrack: Science in the dangerous areas. Better protection from hazardous environments to retrieve science in places that the other two can't reach. Can also scan and gather geographical and mineral samples, but not at the same level that the Odyssey could.

DreadUnknown posted:

Holy gently caress these people have no idea how scientific research works, like the mind boggles.

Also I'd like to say I'm also enjoying your deep dive Kavros, you write in a very approchable style and you come across as trying to truly be fair about the bugfest of Star Citizen.

The thing is, the science has to be either completely abstracted (which is not very fidelitious) or it will be impossible.
So in the first scenario your variety of science ships will generate, process, etc. generic "science" things which can result in Science Product X, Y, or Z of varying value depending on your science material and processing capability. This easily lets your science gameplay be open-ended and limitless. It is also then functionally identical to mining which isn't great.

If you don't do that then you've got to somehow have actual science progression, like actually developing new technologies. This works in Civilization and similar because there's a set tech tree and it only needs to have purpose as long as each game lasts. In an MMO it does not work.

So what I'm saying here is the only solution that works is to copy EVE's blueprints idea. And I bet the citizens are going to love that.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Nonono you see, Star Citizens Quanta Sim and Amazing Neverbefore True Universe Sim will together make sure that you can actually advance tech in the game!!! Imagine, you are a scientist doing sciency thing and you discover this amazing new material Chrisholeium that just spontaniously appeared never before on a new rock you found.

You take this to your lab you se and do a bunch of measurements and tests and stuff and now you discover that if you mix this with Tickleium in certan amounts you can make a new alloy that is superstrong against everything and now you can sell it and get rich and famous and all the womans will inevitably want to visit your cool hot tub! This is already basically in the game FUDster :smug:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
My bet on science is that you get science points from scanning a new planet (lol), scanning a new wormhole (lol), scanning a new random location or picking up animal poo poo (actually in game), and sell your science points if you are first to have these science points. Actually, some of these might be exploration, but gently caress it, let citizens theorycraft about differences

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
The only science that will emerge in connection with SC will be few psychological studies on the subject of sunk cost fallacy/impulsive spending/cult behavior in gaming once it collapses.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

My bet on science is that you get science points from scanning a new planet (lol), scanning a new wormhole (lol), scanning a new random location or picking up animal poo poo (actually in game), and sell your science points if you are first to have these science points. Actually, some of these might be exploration, but gently caress it, let citizens theorycraft about differences

As per their wiki and publicity material there are multiple science modules for the Endeavor (Lesnick's pet ship)

Science-to-Income

quote:

This is intended as a multi-use facility that can support a variety of active scientific pursuits like biological studies, microscopy, zero gravity experiments etc.,. It houses internal slots for precision scanners, sample & specimen collections, spectrometers and chemical analyzers. It is capable of cataloging new experimental data as well as producing cutting edge compounds.

Science

quote:

These are designed for analytic data gathering and house a variety of scientific computers and data-banks. Mainly used for turning the raw information gathered by the General Research pods or the Telescope Array, it can also be used for getting data from elsewhere in the Verse.

POI Discovery, Science

quote:

This is an extremely powerful mobile stellar observatory which can be useful for everything from standard navigation studies to jump point discoveries.

quote:

Research requires constant intellectual analysis and decision-making as opposed to automated number crunching that lasts for an extended period of time. As such, progress is typically only made when a player is actively involved and pushing forward.

Here, educate youareselves

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14974-Design-Science-And-The-Endeavor

Sic itur ad astra, you unscientific fudsters.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

trucutru posted:

As per their wiki and publicity material there are multiple science modules for the Endeavor (Lesnick's pet ship)

Science-to-Income

Science

POI Discovery, Science

Here, educate youareselves

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14974-Design-Science-And-The-Endeavor

Sic itur ad astra, you unscientific fudsters.

On multiple occasions I've seen backers asserting that only because CIG wrote something or still has it on their webpage, it doesn't means it is true :colbert:

But then again, what is a giant space telescope if not a "science gun" :thunk:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Mailer posted:

You can't not spend. If you don't buy the latest ship for $550 then you are admitting your past $10000+ is gone and the game is never going to be some sort of second life in space where the early investors are kings. You need to pledge, and be part of the community of other people who pledge, to make it all ok. As soon as you stop spending you have to look at what you spent and at this point $550 is cheap to not have to come to that life-destroying realization.

This makes more and more sense to me when I see how MLMs and cults get insanely expensive buy-ins.

I guess it was only ever hard to believe because it was spaceship jpegs of all things.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

If I redid the verse I could imagine a situation where humans expand and are over resources and tech while alien tech is introduced to fuel a civil war among houses expansions and this availability of tech is the resource to fight over further, from allies to direct confiscation and replication which leads into a much larger war between aliens and humans as well.

So then the field of the galaxy is a battle front of tech and resources, civil conflict and tension across all races involved. Even threats are means of resources technology wise etc and the galaxy is upside down because humans became apart of the picture on both or many fronts.

What a story base.

It would be ***** citizen. An alter more elaborate and expansive universe. That represents the dark and light of our introduction into the arena of expansion.

Edit: Man I’d make a loving a universe. These guys have the resources etc. Be cool to be a CR but do stuff differently. I’d be cool w/people too. Idk how he is irl but I’d be up to host meetings over drinks and nice venues. The first few times people wanna just chill but after a bit in vip it’s just work in a nice place. It’s for the fans, w/out em we’d be nothing. A career to live for sure.

Edit: I’d make it an actual verse too w/all content required to fit the theme. I wouldn’t dumb it down to cater to kids to play for pedos to meet kids online w/. It would me for a mature audience, privately backed to cater specifically for the mature audience interested in an exclusive space themed universe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

That guy seemingly has literally zero clue how big space is

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I remember years ago the Conan MMO came out, with big promises about it being for a 'more mature audience' which was clever because they wanted to stick it to WoW I guess.
I learned in that game, that this meant people took a 'more mature audience' as a green light to constantly talk about titties and cocks, and if you challenged this endless tirade you'd be greeted with 'go back to WoW kiddo this is a grown ups game' :v:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Blackstone posted:

Hm. I never played SC myself, but my understanding is that there are two major issues.
1. The general lack of an overarching design concept, of which the Death of a Spacemen issue is just one aspect. I don't really see how the interests of people who have spent tens of thousands on this game and people who are willing to spend fifty bucks on a video game can be aligned (unless the latter can be motivated to spend fifty bucks on a floor mopping simulator, which I find unlikely).
2. The fact that a modified decade-old FPS engine is not a good choice for a space game. I only know IT from project management and contract and regulatory law, but to me it seems that there are hard limits on what can be done with the engine limitations.

"general lack of an overarching design concept" doesn't really represent what I witness in practice. He's got a design concept, a really clear image of the game he wants to create. The true villain of progress in star citizen is that he, the person ultimately completely in control of the project, is unregulatable in a project management sense and has created a legendary example of scope creep. The most potent I think I have ever seen.

Maybe that sounds like six of one, half dozen of the other — but it does seem to matter to the outcome, in my perspective.

Chris adds to this in that he has made several critical design missteps (such as the FPS engine part) that get compounded by the loss of design talent over the years leaving the codebase a muddled, barely-understood mess that never plays well with new updates to their test environment.

quote:

No idea if even a decent project manager with adequate budget and full authority could turn this around.

I absolutely believe that they could. I've seen weirder, grimier situations turned around. "Full authority" is the watchword, though. Chris does have to backseat himself. How will this happen? In my opinion, nothing short of personal exhaustion. He has to be tired, worn down, and desperate to let the project continue in spite of himself.

quote:

It's called Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and I could write an entire essay about how it is the anti-Star Citizen. Cohesive scope. Constrained and practical vision. Theme and tone are well managed. Made on a reasonable budget. Relatively simple and straightforward gameplay loops, but well polished and engrossing. Little touches given for free to the player — like the ship paintjob tool — have surprising depth and show lots of care and attention to the product by the developer. Said developer was demeaned and ostracized by the playerbase to the point where he opted to quit making games.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

That guy seemingly has literally zero clue how big space is

Is is big enough to fit *4* containers?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

quote:

Making a scifi game with space ships focus on the most mundane parts of real life is suicidal to the game's long term health.

This comment kind of gets at the heart of what I'm talking about here.

While that may be true for other games you've played, I don't think that will be the case here. Players will need to re-adjust how they approach video games or limit themselves to the type of gameplay in SC that offers what they like.

quote:

CIG will play with loading and unloading but players will enjoy manually moving crates for about 2 days before they are tired of it.

Everyone will eventually rely on npc services to manage this and CIG will have to have entertaining things to do in your downtime or else the sitting around waiting will kill the game and they'll be forced to dramatically speed up the npc loading and unloading.

Again, players need to drop what they think they know about other games and how they are played, this game will not be those games. I think if you really look at the tools CIG is providing it's becoming more and more clear they're not going make something that some players might be expecting.

quote:

quote:

That is in fact not the goal anymore. It will still take some grinding, but not nearly as much. As for travel distances, CIG themselves stated it will be long but not days. It might take 15 min to cross Pyro just as it takes 5 to cross Stanton. What will be long-ish will be multi-systems travel that might take you 30-40 min. But that's the gist of it.

I think it needs to go in the other direction... it should take months and months to "pay cash UEC" for a ship like the Connie. That's the equivalent of buying a specialty truck for $150,000 and ain't no basic work-for-hire who's going to easily earn that in a short period of time, when they are selling thier time to earn their money. They will finance it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kavros posted:

It's called Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and I could write an entire essay about how it is the anti-Star Citizen. Cohesive scope. Constrained and practical vision. Theme and tone are well managed. Made on a reasonable budget. Relatively simple and straightforward gameplay loops, but well polished and engrossing. Little touches given for free to the player — like the ship paintjob tool — have surprising depth and show lots of care and attention to the product by the developer. Said developer was demeaned and ostracized by the playerbase to the point where he opted to quit making games.

Was it that badly received? I was kind of looking forward to it, then it went EGS exclusive, and by the time exclusivity ended, I had forgotten about it... But the previews looked good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

and ain't no basic work-for-hire who's going to easily earn that in a short period of time,

But, Mr. Animal the muppet, these are space drug dealers, space pirates, and space contrabandists we're talking about. They should be able to afford a truck in like a day, tops.

quote:

Players will need to re-adjust how they approach video games

:laffo: the hubris.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

:laffo: the hubris.

That's just another level. It's not longer that one doesn't understand game development, now gamers simply don't understand games and have to reevaluate their standards. :psyduck:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

FishMcCool posted:

Was it that badly received? I was kind of looking forward to it, then it went EGS exclusive, and by the time exclusivity ended, I had forgotten about it... But the previews looked good.

it's a really good game in my goonie cuntifla fudpinion

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Nothing says "mature" like talking about boobs, butts, and sex with strangers in a video game.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Making your space game one that "caters to a mature audience" as a deterrent to pedophiles is a weird take.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

FishMcCool posted:

I personally found it not that great, but not bad in any way a can pinpoint. I just got bored pretty soon.

But I imagine how a developer who made a space game with female protagonist that isn't steaming hot can get sick of gamers I have no idea what actually happened or even that they quit making games (?), but if I had to imagine it would be this. Also the EGS exclusivity, but I bought it there and it didn't eat my computer and sold it to china, but "gamers" are loving stupid, so it could have been this as well

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on sale on Steam right now, it has its problems but is well worth it imho https://store.steampowered.com/app/910830

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Golli posted:

Making your space game one that "caters to a mature audience" as a deterrent to pedophiles is a weird take.

Lets you take the moral high ground as you push for a game that lets you victimize other player avatars in gross and sexual ways.

FishMcCool posted:

I enjoyed it. It was a solid, small-scale dogfighting game. Rather polished for an indie game.

For some reason, there's a subset of gamers that expect open world space games to have such in-depth simulation aspects and robust content as to wholly take over their lives for months on end. (Even if this is an unreasonable expectation to push on an indie game sold well below AAA pricing.) If this doesn't happen, they're inevitably disappointed.

A good number of those gamers are likely running the hamster wheel on Star Citizen's perpetual dream.txt funding machine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I personally found it not that great, but not bad in any way a can pinpoint. I just got bored pretty soon.

But I imagine how a developer who made a space game with female protagonist that isn't steaming hot can get sick of gamers I have no idea what actually happened or even that they quit making games (?), but if I had to imagine it would be this. Also the EGS exclusivity, but I bought it there and it didn't eat my computer and sold it to china, but "gamers" are loving stupid, so it could have been this as well

egs exclusivity is a good thing imo. it's early access that they get paid for, and they get to launch all over again when they go to steam. the store is bare bones but, you push the button you get the game, which is basically what you need?

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for the response, Kavros. I'm not quite with you regarding the difference between lack of overarching vision and feature creep; it seems to be the same result coming from different paths, and I still don't see a solution for aligning the diverging interests of the stakeholders. But I'd be happy to see SC succeed, so let's see what the future brings.

Also, I just invested nearly ten bucks total in Rebel Outlaw (90% off!) and Rebel Outlaw Galaxy. I hope that those NFT people are right and I can sell that for a million in a few years.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

sebmojo posted:

egs exclusivity is a good thing imo. it's early access that they get paid for, and they get to launch all over again when they go to steam. the store is bare bones but, you push the button you get the game, which is basically what you need?

You'd think so, but for a lot of devs it's not worth the PR fallout. Some get through it unscathed by limiting the EGS exclusivity to early access, like Supergiant with Hades and Coffee Stain with Satisfactory, but for many they get a lot of gamer backlash. Anyone who's taking those deals now is undoubtedly weighing that against the bonus they get from Epic.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I log on to the Epic store once a month to see if there's a cool free game available and that's it. I'm not very connected to this stuff but I really don't understand the gamer anger?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

I log on to the Epic store once a month to see if there's a cool free game available and that's it. I'm not very connected to this stuff but I really don't understand the gamer anger?

Well, you see, gamers want their games to be on Steam.

That's it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

I think it mostly started with the first few exclusives to egs. The games were initially listed and even had pre-orders on steam. And then egs threw them a bunch of cash to go be exclusive to egs instead. Which they did. And that fueled some bad taste backlash at epic since.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah there were a few high-profile ones that were a bit bullshit, like Shenmue 3 and Borderlands 3. But indie devs seem to be catching the brunt of the backlash, sadly.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FishMcCool posted:

I think the real problem is that it wasn't received — its release exclusive affairs and some other things kind of made it disappear off people's radar. So it was lost in the noise and went unseen as often as it was, and when it was received it was with a bunch of nattering gamer nitpickery by the sort of weirdos who hang out on official game channels to dig at the developers over the most trivial bullshit you could imagine. The game maker would actually go engage! He'd talk! And had just put out so much time and effort to try to make this (actually really cool!) game work out for everyone and it just kinda was too much to take, so he walked away from the gaming industry. I can't really blame him? When devs themselves aren't ruining games, gamers like to pick up the slack.

Blackstone posted:

Thanks for the response, Kavros. I'm not quite with you regarding the difference between lack of overarching vision and feature creep; it seems to be the same result coming from different paths, and I still don't see a solution for aligning the diverging interests of the stakeholders. But I'd be happy to see SC succeed, so let's see what the future brings.

Also, I just invested nearly ten bucks total in Rebel Outlaw (90% off!) and Rebel Outlaw Galaxy. I hope that those NFT people are right and I can sell that for a million in a few years.

I think the way to 'align' the interests is to divest them entirely. Separate the departments that push sales from the departments that make the game work (which requires you set up a department that makes the game work, so, yes, remain pessimistic on this one). Divest the interests of "people who spent thousands of dollars on jpegs and making them happy" from "the core teams responsible for refining and testing the gameplay loops and ingame progression." Then they should just do EVERYTHING to hammer out the loops and flight profiles of the various categories of ship. They also just need to go ahead and admit to themselves that it's all going to end up heavily modeled on close range WWI-WW2 era prop plane dogfighting, because this is how you make small craft fighting fun.

And thanks for investing in RGO. Like, if Star Citizen discussion drives anything, I'd like it to be some appreciation going to that game effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Thanks for the tip

If you think Star Citizen is a money pit wait until you get hooked on sim racing :) When you feel like you know what you are doing and want to take a step up, maybe have a look at getting some Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals, keep the T300 and just swap the pedals out. They are incredible. I'm running a T500 with the Fanatec pedals and its game changing. If your wallet can handle it you can always pair with with a Fanatec wheel later too :)

Gravity_Storm fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 30, 2021