Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Aw man, I wish I played more Battlemode before this release. I'm just getting hosed because I'm in the deep end, and I don't think I'll get the skins before the event is over :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
275100 points on my first nightmare horde run, died probably around 5 or 6 times? half of it when this loving cursed prowler nicked me in mission 2, horde round 2 and my goddamn blood punch whiffed on his ugly mug twice. i was not very happy

that final round is a bastard (more double spirit bullshit :jerkbag:) but thankfully there's a lot of space to manuever so you have plenty of time to plan out your engagements

not a fan of the glory kill conditions poo poo coming back for some of the bonus objectives, especially when encounters are already insanely hectic. get that poo poo outta here, hugo, you really want me to gently caress around with slowly burning down pinkies and archviles for specific glory kills when a dozen other heavies and superheavies are trying to kick my head in

gotta learn the optimal paths for the coin and traversal rounds, i suppose experience (and youtube guides) will be the best teacher for them

and finally, if these top scores on the leaderboard are legit (7 loving million points??), then i assume the path to victory is timing those bounty demon onslaughts perfectly and capitalizing on the blitz rounds with their respawning onslaught powerups

also you get a shitload of extra lives, and each unspent one counts for the final score. i can recommend the purple rune that lets you recover an extra life if you kill the demon that killed you fast enough, so you can have a shot at maintaining a "deathless" run for maximum points from extra lives. related, dont take second wind since it only comes into effect once you run out of extra lives, and if you're going for high scores, you probably wont want to continue a run where you die too much. if you run with air control and blood-fueled (imo the two absolutely essential perks that cannot be beat), that gives you a free rune slot for whatever you prefer

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm glad that DOOM Eternal now has a Bloody Palace, solidifying the fact that it's actually a spectacle fighter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I'm glad that DOOM Eternal now has a Bloody Palace, solidifying the fact that it's actually a spectacle fighter.

Not an empty quote at all, this is just stone cold facts

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't find a clear answer to this on :google:, is character progress preserved between main game and the DLCs? I just started the final stretch of missions and I'm wondering if I need to stop and grind out any remaining weapon masteries or if that progress will just pick up when I start DLC1.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Takes No Damage posted:

Couldn't find a clear answer to this on :google:, is character progress preserved between main game and the DLCs? I just started the final stretch of missions and I'm wondering if I need to stop and grind out any remaining weapon masteries or if that progress will just pick up when I start DLC1.

You start the DLCs with everything from the main campaign unlocked automatically even if you haven't unlocked it yet in the main campaign.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

DLCs start with everything unlocked and mastered.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

You start the DLCs with everything from the main campaign unlocked automatically even if you haven't unlocked it yet in the main campaign.

Dameius posted:

DLCs start with everything unlocked and mastered.

Well that's cheating :mad: I guess it's a consequence of making the DLCs more stand-alone but it would be nice to have an 'import save' option or something for continuity. Unless DLC1 is so loving difficult you'd just die without all the buffs and masteries turned on. Oh well, guess I can always finish things out in the Master Levels before moving on from the main game. I've become distracted by Cities: Skylines of all things so I'm sure I'll need the practice, reading the posts about FPS rust when each DLC came out was a trip (can't Rip and Tear until I figure out how to unfuck the traffic going through this roundabout :v: ).

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Unless DLC1 is so loving difficult you'd just die without all the buffs and masteries turned on.

It's sort of this. They said at the time that they did it this way so that they could balance the encounters against a known quantity, instead of having to simultaneously worry about people who 100%ed the main game and people who got through without unlocking half the stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Obviously they should've finished programming the pistol so players could go for a pistol-only run of the DLC

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Unless DLC1 is so loving difficult you'd just die without all the buffs and masteries turned on.

you'll need them

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The DLC has been nerfed since release, but you're still fighting the full roster of demons from the start, and a whole lot of them too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The DLCs on release were dogshit loving hard.

I did them all at launch on Nightmare and the DLC2 Holt slayer gate took me hours to clear.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
elevator pitch for dlc1:

1st level is a harder and longer level than master levels ARC complex and cultist base
2nd level is doom eternal's version of tricks and traps
3rd level and boss is hugo basically slugging you in the face

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
The DLCs were tuned back closer to launch a bit ago, and DLC2 has some new additions after update 6.66. It's all more in line with launch DLC1 with some of the rough edges buffed out (not easier, pacing improvements).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does it still have the dumb Imp swarm on World Spear?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

New master levels are sick but I wish you could save progress. I don't have enough time to beat them on nightmare in one sitting.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
im not sure i can play this dlc for doom eternal. these new turret enemies take the thing that everyone hated in the base game (the guy you cant damage when his shields up) and make it more annoying with these turrets which are even worse because they go invincible, whereas the marauder was vulnerable to aoe damage. really killing my motivation to continue. playing peekaboo is not fun energetic gameplay

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
are you quickscoping them with the heavy cannon and/or ballista

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Relin posted:

im not sure i can play this dlc for doom eternal. these new turret enemies take the thing that everyone hated in the base game (the guy you cant damage when his shields up) and make it more annoying with these turrets which are even worse because they go invincible, whereas the marauder was vulnerable to aoe damage. really killing my motivation to continue. playing peekaboo is not fun energetic gameplay

turrets are the most reasonable of the trend of invulnerablity enemies the DLC add, sniper scope shot once, do anything for 3 seconds, sniper scope shot again, turret ded. It works well since you can control when you're ready to hit the turret and just evade the shots/walk away from it otherwise

Then the invulnerability angels and the stone imps and last boss oi

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

actually the marauder owns

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nobody Interesting posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I dove into Horde mode the other day on HMP cause Im rusty as poo poo, and it's funny that yeah, the Marauder is no longer the thing i hate the most/gives me the most trouble.

Possessors can go get hosed on the other hand.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nobody Interesting posted:

The Maurauder? Yes.

MechaSatan? Less so.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked mechasatan. He was the best of the three last bosses, hands down.

The enemies that I'm personally not a fan of are the Stone Imps (they were fine when you had two ways of killing them, no idea why they removed shield bashing), Cursed Imps (might as well have been insta-kill imps, haven't had any problems with them but I just don't understand their purpose), and Spirits when there are more than one of them.
Both Stone Imps and Spirits really need additional alternative ways of handling them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I would change my mind for MechaSatan if that drat Sentinel Shield would just pop so I could learn his patterns properly.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Relin posted:

Here's a tip to make things easier: when a turret is active, you can freeze it with the freeze grenade. It will give you enough time to deal with it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
managed to get 323k points in horde before the season is over, some thoughts:

1) honestly, the main way to push for high score in horde mode is onslaught combos, and funnily enough, it ends up feeling like the way people were criticizing doom eternal's gameplay: that you have to maximize your cooldowns and resources to a tiring degree in order to succeed. except this time it's actually true in terms of capitalizing on the onslaught bonus because otherwise there's barely any other way to push your score up through combat since there's no kill medal bonuses in this game compared to doom 2016's arcade mode (headshots, glory kills, etc.)

2) because of that, pushing your score can be a matter of memorizing spawn waves so you know when to go for an onslaught combo, and even waiting on enemies to clump up together because you go to town on them. it runs against the freeform combat of doom eternal, which is a bummer

3) RNG is also a major factor for a run. blitz rounds in particular go significantly smoother if you have the SSG and ballista, and if you dont you definitely can feel like you got screwed out of a good score because even quad damage can only do so much for a weapon. reclaimed earth blitz round 1 (prowlers and screamers in a tight area) is definitely an encounter where you hope you have either of these, because they can OHKO/stagger prowlers without splashing AOE everywhere and triggering the screamers. it can be very rough if you roll the chaingun and plasma gun early since they're not as good as the other weapons at killing important poo poo very quickly

4) im loving sick of possessed/double/possessed and double marauders and barons, dude, it's practically a difficulty circlejerk at this point. they're not fun to fight, they're a loving chore and possessed marauders still feel like romhack bullshit that ignore rules that marauders are balanced around. i understand that the game's development is technically done and everything we're getting onward is pretty much bonus stuff but man, i wish the team got more budget to iterate on these loving enemies because they're just godawful when there's more than one rear end in a top hat getting juiced by spirits at the same time

anyway, i still find the mode very fun and promising; i hope new seasons will start reintroducing kill medals and turning down the spirit/marauder/baron bullshit, if we get that far

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ancient Gods Original Score Reel

Hope we get full releases at some point

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thread seems pretty down on The Ancient Gods as a whole, from skimming it. worth picking up?

I beat DE on nightmare last year and am having a hell of a fight of it this year on UV. I've regressed :argh: (worse, apparently I beat nightmare without ever quickswitch shooting a marauder - this was before the cartoon stars of I'm Stunned were added, so I guess I was just oblivious until I saw those this playthrough lol)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I enjoyed both expansions, with two caveats. The first episode has a really tough/annoying final stage of the last boss, while the second episode is easier than its predecessor, which leads to an odd sense of difficulty overall, but I really liked the final boss in that one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The dlcs are 3 good stages each. They introduced a lot of hit and miss enemy design right down to the last boss, your mileage may vary. They're also hard as balls.

Lots of "use this mod to kill this" and "slow combat down" enemies. It also shows that they were a bit rushed(was it a mandatory year window for the devs?) and stuff like the demon troopers in dlc 2 look really ugly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm down with anything that slows things down just a bit, this game puts me in no-poo poo panic at times between keeping track of targets, moving without getting stuck on terrain/a little shitter imp or their trooper buds, remembering my quickswitch weapon, remembering my current weapon sometimes (ever clicked to shoot 4 or 5 times on the rifle before realizing it's empty? I have :v:), and the sheer speed of everything

i suspect that whatever you mean by "'slow combat down' enemies" isn't going to actually help me though

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 30, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DLCs are great. Final boss of Part 1 is a bit overdesigned though. I didn't feel bad about dropping the difficulty one notch for it.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ciaphas posted:

thread seems pretty down on The Ancient Gods as a whole, from skimming it. worth picking up?

I beat DE on nightmare last year and am having a hell of a fight of it this year on UV. I've regressed :argh: (worse, apparently I beat nightmare without ever quickswitch shooting a marauder - this was before the cartoon stars of I'm Stunned were added, so I guess I was just oblivious until I saw those this playthrough lol)

If you liked DE, there's no reason not to get TAG1+2. They have flaws, but they're not overwhelming or gamebreaking - you'll still have a lot of fun!!

--

I was doing some Battlemode 2.0 just to get my double XP for the Thanksgibbing event, and I got matched up against World No.1 Slayer (My matchmaking level would be at the very low of low, as I've lost most of my matches since I'm just learning how the gently caress to play a 2v1 game). I wish there was a bigger player base / some way to fix this, because getting utterly hosed within 15 seconds isn't fun, or even a opportunity to get better :smith:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

i suspect that whatever you mean by "'slow combat down' enemies" isn't going to actually help me though

Yeah, it's more like you have to still do all that other poo poo you said while dealing with some new mechanic.

I loved the DLCs. Definitely some uneven bits and the DLC1 boss is just a real motherfucker in a way that doesn't feel fun like the rest of the difficult stuff in the game does. I didn't really mind any of the new enemies or the fact that some of them have particular ways you have to deal with them. They feel like a good way to up the ante on players who have gotten comfortable with the combat system, because they really do require you to be able to kind of have movement and juggling cooldowns, etc on autopilot in order to focus on whatever their mechanic is. It's like trying to sing and play guitar at the same time: you have to be able to do one of them in your sleep before you add the other.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 30, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
yeah, don't mind me, the spirit/marauder/baron combo spam is mainly in the master levels and final parts of horde mode, which are supposed to be challenge modes. it's just that they're pretty much the only real challenges left and they're challenging in the most specifically annoying and tiring ways

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Horde Mode is where I think I just about hit my limit on being able to handle multiple possessed enemies or possessed Marauders plus a boatload of super heavies and heavies or some of the other combos they throw at you on the final map. At some point I just hit my brain's capacity to process everything that was going on and I felt legit exhausted afterward.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
especially if there's a possessed enemy around while you're trying to maximize an onslaught wave. the holt arena 2 can suck my dick, it's the toughest of the arena encounters in horde mode because you're fighting elites in a mazy space, and then there's also possessed enemies around because gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Perpetually getting the feeling you get when you realize an Archvile spawned 30 seconds ago.