Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
next season better just be the cleon show where they bring out all the secret brother day copies and it's just lee pace cleons everywhere! cleon, cleon and cleon get to ride around in the cleonmobile solving crimes while cleon helps cleon come to terms with his space drug addiction

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

next season better just be the cleon show where they bring out all the secret brother day copies and it's just lee pace cleons everywhere! cleon, cleon and cleon get to ride around in the cleonmobile solving crimes while cleon helps cleon come to terms with his space drug addiction

Considering that Day smashed the original Cleon''s casket (what they said they were using to make copies), I assume they are going with the clone emperor's lineage being over.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
no, the secret day clones! the one that cleon set up in the secret cleon chambers of trantor!

im telling ya this show is gonna be known as the launching pad for lee pace's one man show the cleon revue

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Have Brother Day fall through a wormhole and land on Mars just in time for season 3 of For All Mankind, only he has amnesia and the entire season is about the Commies and the Americans trying to convince him he's from their country so he'll join their respective Mars Basketball Teams in time for the Olympus Mons Games.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

remember when Lee Pace forgot how to limp lmao

that chicken walk scene had me crying with laughter.

the episode was one of the better ones for the Space Dad Tyrant plotline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

etalian posted:

that chicken walk scene had me crying with laughter.

There is nothing in the Empire more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a Cleon in the depths of a spiral walk....

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Have Brother Day fall through a wormhole and land on Mars just in time for season 3 of For All Mankind, only he has amnesia and the entire season is about the Commies and the Americans trying to convince him he's from their country so he'll join their respective Mars Basketball Teams in time for the Olympus Mons Games.

Please don't ruin For All Mankind, it's the best show out there :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I love it, though I am wary of the teased (season 2 ending spoiler) "Margo's gonna get forced to be a spy for the Russians" storyline, especially because I was absolutely invested in the two of them being a wholesome Space Nerd couple.

Ronald Moore has left the show I think so I hope it holds up the quality in season 3.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

current day and current night start an open civil war against eachotehr and then they both spin up another two clones each so we get six emperors and the show just has to be good mathematically

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Just finishing the season. I'm not angry, but just very disappointed that they made Hari sentient adn not a recording. They really missed what made the books work.

edit: lmao Salvor Hardin is coming back for season 2, they REALLY missed what made the books work

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 29, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jerusalem posted:

I love it, though I am wary of the teased (season 2 ending spoiler) "Margo's gonna get forced to be a spy for the Russians" storyline, especially because I was absolutely invested in the two of them being a wholesome Space Nerd couple.

Ronald Moore has left the show I think so I hope it holds up the quality in season 3.

A quick google indicates that Moore hasn't completely left For All Mankind, he'll still be involved. But he'll be a bit less day-to-day now that a new project is taking up more of his time.

https://www.cbr.com/for-all-mankind-season-3-ronald-d-moore/

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rappaport posted:

I swore that if For All Mankind did the thing with what's-his-name's wife and the kid I would stop watching. That show's dead to me now. It was completely out of left field and gross.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

current day and current night start an open civil war against eachotehr and then they both spin up another two clones each so we get six emperors and the show just has to be good mathematically

:hmmyes:
Lots of emperors is very Late Rome but not something Asimov went into. There should be thousands of emperors. Someone puts the pure Cleon DNA on space bittorrent and everyone starts printing their very own Cleon and claiming the throne of the empire :black101:

Even better if they have a bootleg copy of his mind, so they all think they are the true emperor too.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I swore that if For All Mankind did the thing with what's-his-name's wife and the kid I would stop watching. That show's dead to me now. It was completely out of left field and gross.

I mean, yea, although it’s interesting that the kind of everyday grossness that passes without comment on daytime TV talk shows strikes us as weird and implausible on prestige drama.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
Lots of emperors is very Late Rome but not something Asimov went into. There should be thousands of emperors. Someone puts the pure Cleon DNA on space bittorrent and everyone starts printing their very own Cleon and claiming the throne of the empire :black101:

Even better if they have a bootleg copy of his mind, so they all think they are the true emperor too.

so, i'm sorry, you're saying I can download my own cleon? how good are 3d printers on trantor exactly

e: like yknow how.... accurate can they get.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
You wouldn’t download an Emperor would you?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

so, i'm sorry, you're saying I can download my own cleon? how good are 3d printers on trantor exactly

e: like yknow how.... accurate can they get.

A Trantorian printer works perfectly but is half a mile long and requires the combined output of six uranium mining worlds to operate.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, yea, although it’s interesting that the kind of everyday grossness that passes without comment on daytime TV talk shows strikes us as weird and implausible on prestige drama.

Don't watch those either, so at least I'm consistent.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Just finished this and I thought it was OK. It definitely had tons of problems like this thread has illustrated so well

But the Cleons and the genetic dynasty stuff was genuinely cool and I want to see more of that.

The rest was... not great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Nemo posted:

edit: lmao Salvor Hardin is coming back for season 2, they REALLY missed what made the books work

You have to bring them back since characters like Hardin and Gaal were so memorable in S1.

If you didn't bring them back people would stop watching the show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I get wanting to keep your core cast, but make it an anthology series and have them play different characters as the eons progress. There was a way to do that and make it interesting. A Cloud Atlas minus the...you know...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You can't have Cleons without eons.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
For season 2 they should just fire the writers and have the actors improv for 10 episodes, then have the CGI folks make it look pretty. Whatever they come up with will make more sense and somehow will be more authentic to the source material.

Also once I realized that the writer / creator David Goyer is also the man responsible for the DC superhero films and the CoD Black Ops storylines, everything about this show made a lot more sense.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 29, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kaal posted:

For season 2 they should just fire the writers and have the actors improv for 10 episodes, then have the CGI folks make it look pretty. Whatever they come up with will make more sense and somehow will be more authentic to the source material.

Also once I realized that the writer / creator David Goyer is also the man responsible for the DC superhero films and the CoD Black Ops storylines, everything about this show made a lot more sense.

For Season 2 since the show has $$$ they should hire Arnold since he has lots of Clone acting experience.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All characters should be played by the sexy Eyebrow guy

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kaal posted:

e: wait nevermind i mixed him up with david ayer who is similarly poo

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

etalian posted:

For Season 2 since the show has $$$ they should hire Arnold since he has lots of Clone acting experience.

Gaal Monologue: "Cleon ordered for everyone who knew FlowerGirl to be killed, but forgot that HE knew FlowerGirl too! And thus the Empire fell apart exactly as Hari predicted. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, but Salvor knew that psychohistory was the best weapon of all, and used the Foundation's brand new fleet of battleships to create a galactic theocracy ruled by her and her robot lover ... Mule" (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 29, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Kaal posted:

Drew Carey voice over: "Welcome to Foundation, where the dialogue is made up and the plots don't matter..."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Drew Carey voice over: "Welcome to Foundation, where the dialogue is made up and the plots don't matter..."

Apple+ should 100% have Dusk, Day, and Dawn in the Spanish desert doing a fever dream "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love the new thread title :allears:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kaal posted:

Gaal Monologue: "Cleon ordered for everyone who knew FlowerGirl to be killed, but forgot that HE knew FlowerGirl too! And thus the Empire fell apart exactly as Hari predicted. Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, but Salvor knew that psychohistory was the best weapon of all, and used the Foundation's brand new fleet of battleships to create a galactic theocracy ruled by her and her robot lover ... Mule" (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger).

:sickos:

e: he also just left her sitting there so I choose to believe she just offed herself with a poisonous plant.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 29, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaal posted:

Fuckin lol

Kaal
May 22, 2002

gschmidl posted:

:sickos:

e: he also just left her sitting there so I choose to believe she just offed herself with a poisonous plant.

The plant put FlowerGirl into a dreamless sleep for 1,000 years. At the end of the finale episode she awakes with a start. It is as if no time has passed. She's floating in a coffin pod in the middle of a pool of lava. She instinctively reaches to her belt and opens her Prime Radiant ball on the second try. It turns into a lava canoe and she climbs aboard just before her coffin pod burns up. She begins paddling towards the skeletal figure of Demerzel, whose robotic body is wading through the flames unconcernedly. She wears the robes of Scientism and recites the first law of robotics, "Thou shalt not kill". FlowerGirl acts as a witness and apostle for Demerzel as she performs a series of miracles, beginning with the inexplicable resurrection of Raych Seldon.

This is too much fun, I need to stop. 😅

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 30, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kaal posted:

thread title

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kaal posted:

The plant put FlowerGirl into a dreamless sleep for 1,000 years. At the end of the finale episode she awakes with a start. It is as if no time has passed. She's floating in a coffin pod in the middle of a pool of lava. She instinctively reaches to her belt and opens her Prime Radiant ball on the second try. It turns into a lava canoe and she climbs aboard just before her coffin pod burns up. She begins paddling towards the skeletal figure of Demerzel, whose robotic body is wading through the flames unconcernedly. She wears the robes of Scientism and recites the first law of robotics, "Thou shalt not kill". FlowerGirl acts as a witness and apostle for Demerzel as she performs a series of miracles, beginning with the inexplicable resurrection of Raych Seldon.

This is too much fun, I need to stop. 😅

its a low bar to get over, but here at sa we prove we can do it

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Edit: wrong thread, but hey, it's Asimov at least! And way better than this show

Just finished The gods themselves by Asimov. It has what you could expect, great sci fi ideas and so so characters. The final lines are a bit icky though.

Reminded me of 3 Body problem with some of Moon harsh mistress thrown in.

The main issue could easily map to either global warming or nuclear warfare, so it's oddly relevant.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m not sure if this was posted already but if anyone wants something to listen to.

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/sci-fi/the-foundation-trilogy

Isaac Asimov's The Foundation Trilogy was adapted in eight hour-long episodes by the BBC, first broadcast in 1973, and repeated in 1977 and 2002

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
or you can listen to a text to speech engine read the book in full! :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=905pEqyAvNY

edit: it may not be a text to speech engine, just a terrible narrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I've finally caught up.

It was tragic how little effort it would have fixed these lovely, awful scripts.

1. You want to keep your lovely OC huntress character who lacks meaningful abilities or complex motivations?

Fine. You don't need to change much.
First, replace every deus loving ex machina with outnumbering the protagonists. She's got more soldiers watching her back in every scene. It fits her role as a planetary commander.
Second, instead of making her a petty revenge elemental who's a bad guy, make her calculating but answerable to a population who demands revenge. Don't shoot everyone who ceases to be useful, but facing insubordination if she doesn't kill the imperial after he gets them in. Tension between reason and historical forces are great goddamn material for a foundation character.

2. You want Salvor Hardin to be an action hero instead of a dry talky man who's a poor fit for TV?

Fine. Great even. Just... Have her make a decision, any decision, that affects the outcome of literally any situation. You can even keep some of the decisions she made, like when she tries to convince a grunt to turn on huntress. Just make it matter? Make it resolve a situation.
Heck flashback to her planning with her boyfriend to fake missing the ship, and using the disdain between the two planets to gain leverage, rather than just having it be happenstance.

3. Sorry, but please learn anything at all about writing romance between characters that the audience can empathize with. "Hey these two characters you barely know are loving" is not that. They pulled it twice. You could spend every second you wasted on gaal's "romance" instead making salvor's have some romantic tension.

4. Have Harry's speech at the end reflect a little less puppet master, knowing every single thing in advance like a psychic, including technobabble solutions to material problems, and a little more concern about the lives and struggles happening on the outer rim and the shared destiny that reflects.

You can't save gaal's arc without a full rewrite.

Small loving changes with a mind towards basic loving narrative structure and it would have been fine.

I hate it so much.