Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sapozhnik posted:

Well the other problem there is that the eye position in every stock MSFS aircraft is all jacked up and you see maybe an inch of horizon in front of you in level flight even in GA planes. Or you could switch to upper cockpit view and then the viewpoint is too high.

The upper view is pretty accurate for me. A guy who’s head rubs on the headliner of most GA airplanes.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I ultimately wound up binding up/down and forward/back head position to some of the finger and thumb controls on my TFRP throttle so I could tick the view around when I'm not in VR. I wind up tapping it up in almost every single plane.

EDIT: Just broke my Grassmonkey IR tracker headband :saddowns:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Well the other problem there is that the eye position in every stock MSFS aircraft is all jacked up and you see maybe an inch of horizon in front of you in level flight even in GA planes. Or you could switch to upper cockpit view and then the viewpoint is too high.

Booster seats are common in Diamonds. The horizon is elusive.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Yeah, the eyepoints in MSFS are way too low on almost all of the default airplanes.

I assume that's down to Asobo wanting to have most of the instrument panel visible by default, and not realizing that seeing over the panel is often handy when taking off or landing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a slider in the settings that lets you set your default horizontal, vertical, and lateral position relative to the default eyepoint. If you raise the vertical to about 75 or 80 (default is 50) it's a more appropriate position without being super high.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

So I haven't touched MSFS for quite awhile now, but just caught that there's a PMDG made DC-6. That is exactly the kind of plane I wanted to fly all along (along with a DC-3 and MD-80).

Anyone have experience with it? Well made and worth the price?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Natsuumi posted:

So I haven't touched MSFS for quite awhile now, but just caught that there's a PMDG made DC-6. That is exactly the kind of plane I wanted to fly all along (along with a DC-3 and MD-80).

It’s every bit as good as the PMDG name on the tin would have you believe. It’s a bit heavy on the frame rates for VR, but it’s absolutely gorgeous. Big recommend.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Natsuumi posted:

It's really good, and I think it's on sale on the MSFS marketplace right now.

Since most people don't have a full flight engineer panel at home, it's got a really handy "virtual flight engineer" that'll automatically adjust most of the relevant systems to make the workload more reasonable for one person, but you can also run everything manually if you really want to.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

There's a slider in the settings that lets you set your default horizontal, vertical, and lateral position relative to the default eyepoint. If you raise the vertical to about 75 or 80 (default is 50) it's a more appropriate position without being super high.

there's WHAT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Am I the only person who spends the first half hour of any new game digging through the settings menus to see what I can change?

Maybe I just do it because all new games come pre-hosed-up these days, with a field of view that's like looking down a toilet paper tube and a mouse Y axis that goes the wrong way. I have to immediately change stuff to make the game playable. I can't imagine someone just starting up a game and clicking play and never messing with the settings. lmao

I bet you guys don't even read the manuals that come with every new product you buy.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sagebrush posted:

Am I the only person who spends the first half hour of any new game digging through the settings menus to see what I can change?

Maybe I just do it because all new games come pre-hosed-up these days, with a field of view that's like looking down a toilet paper tube and a mouse Y axis that goes the wrong way. I have to immediately change stuff to make the game playable. I can't imagine someone just starting up a game and clicking play and never messing with the settings. lmao

I bet you guys don't even read the manuals that come with every new product you buy.

Same but because I'm used to having to invert the Y axis in every new game now so I may as well take a peek at the rest of the settings

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alctel posted:

Same but because I'm used to having to invert the Y axis in every new game now so I may as well take a peek at the rest of the settings

yeah see they call it "inverted" but it's actually the correct way. goddamn mouthbreathers

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also the mouse sensitivity and disable as much of the "makes the game look intentionally worse" settings as possible (motion blur, chromatic aberration, etc)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Sapozhnik posted:

there's WHAT

there's WHAT

EDIT: Actually, to add a question: anyone with the Thrustmaster T.16000m, throttle, and TFRP pedals have suggestions for loving with the sensitivities in the settings to make them more realistic or just generally feel "better"? I kinda figured out that smashing the "Reactivity" slider down for the pedals makes them feel WAY less all-or-nothing, but I'm open to any and all tweaks if you suggest them.

Alternatively: are rudder pedals on real GA planes this sensitive? I can barely make fine adjustments without the ball wobbling back and forth.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 29, 2021

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Real GA rudders are fairly sensitive but the main difference is you can feel the wind resistance through the pedals so you get a more tactile feedback. I've never used sim pedals so I don't know how loose they feel but can you adjust the resistance on the actual unit?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

Real GA rudders are fairly sensitive but the main difference is you can feel the wind resistance through the pedals so you get a more tactile feedback. I've never used sim pedals so I don't know how loose they feel but can you adjust the resistance on the actual unit?

It's actually pretty tight as it is - it seems to be more a problem of even the most subtle of nudges translates into...not even too much, but too SUDDEN movement. I don't (EDIT: think I) have a deadzone set, but I need to tweak it tonight to see if I can make it feel a little smoother. I wish I could use more of the pedals range in a useful way.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Oh right, you could do that by setting up the sensitivity curves, so like the first 50% of pedal travel only adjusts the rudder by 20% or something then the last 50% adjusts it by the remaining 80%. Something like this:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For the thrustmaster pedals, take the heel rests off and push the pedals with the ball of your feet where your heel would normally go. You'll get a lot more control that way.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I should get some pedals but I feel like they're going to slide around a lot on hardwood flooring.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sapozhnik posted:

I should get some pedals but I feel like they're going to slide around a lot on hardwood flooring.

I have a really old set of CH products pedals and the base is heavy enough that it doesn’t move around on my floors at all. Also has some rubber feet on it that help

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hardwood is probably easier to plan for. Rubber feet are far more reliable in my experience compared to carpet combs. If your gear only has carpet combs then you just need to spring for some rubber feet or rubber wrap.

Neither are perfect though which is why rigs ultimately exist.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I cut my gaming teeth on X-Wing, and then used inverted settings in Half-Life (the first FPS I really played), and have been an inverted user ever since. My brain can't think the other way. I also for some reason adopted EDSF instead of WASD, so I usually remap keys as well. (I don't remember why I did it originally, but it gives me more modifier keys for my pinky to use)

BMan posted:

Also the mouse sensitivity and disable as much of the "makes the game look intentionally worse" settings as possible (motion blur, chromatic aberration, etc)

I also do all of this. I really dislike all these camera effects in modern games... most of the time we're looking out someone's eyes, not a camera lens, and people's eyes do not have film grain or lens flare.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sapozhnik posted:

They absolutely do, even with the rubber feet - unless you're gross like me and spit on them. Then, once they were in position, they were pretty much stuck there until I picked it up again weeks later.

EDIT: Another problem since the patch: has anyone ever had certain liveries split out into entirely separate (duplicate) planes? My Bonanza, for example, is currently split between one with the default livery as the only option, and the other liveries as the other. I've also got three versions of the Pilatus Porter. Just tried deleting the Bonanza's packages entirely to see what happens as they redownload, so we'll see.

EDIT 2: Okay, deleting and redownloading the plane's packages worked - all one plane again.

Now to see if I can get my Carenado planes to stop crashing on cockpit load since the update :mad:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 30, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kemikalkadet posted:

It’s basically the worst thing you can imagine. In a real airplane, you control the rudder by pressure on the pedals far more than any sense of how far the pedals have travelled. I’ve not used any of the more expensive sim pedals, but the usual suspects generally have less resistance than real rudder pedals do when the airplane is parked.

I’ve frequently wondered whether a load-cell based rudder set might be an improvement over the present situation.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MrYenko posted:

It’s basically the worst thing you can imagine. In a real airplane, you control the rudder by pressure on the pedals far more than any sense of how far the pedals have travelled. I’ve not used any of the more expensive sim pedals, but the usual suspects generally have less resistance than real rudder pedals do when the airplane is parked.

I’ve frequently wondered whether a load-cell based rudder set might be an improvement over the present situation.

Could probably simulate it with force feedback ie belt driven racing wheels or maybe hydraulic like some of the professional grade brake pedals for racing sims. Do the best professional flight sim have force feedback / simulate aerodynamic pressure on controls? I’ve never thought about it.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Force feedback joysticks have largely disappeared since Microsoft left the market around 2001-02, and apparently part of that is due to a single company that holds a poo poo-ton of patents that probably cover force feedback, so it's not worth trying to either license the technology or fight it out in court to produce a product that's a niche market in a niche market.

FFB hardware is also a lot more expensive to engineer and build than a "normal" stick/yoke/pedals, which probably explains why the only FFB hardware on the market (a joystick mount) costs about $1300.

Adding to all that, force feedback is tricky to implement in games, and I think there's only 3 or 4 that even support it, and all of them support it differently.

Once you get into multi-million dollar flight simulators, the controls all have feedback, but even then, the sims don't fly quite like the airplane does.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 30, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The force feedback patent expired a couple years ago apparently, but the economics and implementation roadblocks still make it something that nobody's really trying. Apparently Honeycomb has expressed interest in making a force feedback yoke, but that's about all I've heard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would have to be Microsoft or the Xplane guy working directly with a manufacturer to figure out what the forcefeedback will be and how to implement it, I would guess. Though it seemed like Microsoft was working with the honeycomb people. Microsoft sent a bunch of the yokes to streamers to show off flight simulator.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The force feedback patent expired a couple years ago apparently, but the economics and implementation roadblocks still make it something that nobody's really trying. Apparently Honeycomb has expressed interest in making a force feedback yoke, but that's about all I've heard.

My understanding is that the specific patent on force feedback has expired, but Immersion still has a huge number of active patents for "haptic feedback" that likely include force feedback because they're fairly broad.

I know at least one of the companies making force feedback racing wheels still has "licensed from Immersion corporation" on their products, so it seems like the controller industry has decided it's easier to just license the technology than spend the time and money to figure out what is and isn't still under patent.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

I use 3m Picture Hanging Command Strips on the bases of my stick and throttle, and the other half on my desk. It's basically like having a couple of pieces of Velcro. Then I can detach them and get them out of the way and I just put my giant mousepad overtop them when I don't want my sticks on my desk. This would work well on hardwood floors too.

They're surprisingly strong and don't allow any movement when you put them on strongly.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I got a piece of scrap wood and cut it to the distance between my wall and my pedals so it just pushes against that and doesn’t move.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I got a roll of that rubber drawer liner stuff, cut a bit to the size of my pedals, and it does a great job of keeping them from scooting around on my hardwood floors.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Ohhh...if anyone else is having their 3rd-party planes crash when the cockpit loads in, you're probably a dum dum like me and enabled DX12 thinking it'd be fine. It's not fine. It's not fine.

Switching back to DX11 fixed it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Allegedly it's an issue with the latest Nvidia driver 497.09 too. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-nvidia-497-09-always-ctd/477825

Also Live Weather is simulating Venus today. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/oat-of-248-c-at-fl285/478029

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

Enhanced Skyscapes for X-Plane is on sale this week for $12 instead of the normal $15.

Word of warning, make sure you do the free demo first to see if it works ok. I was having weird strobing effects with the clouds with the Hot Start TBM 900 and the Take Command SR22.

Apparently "there's a known AMD driver bug which triggers only with some aircraft (mostly FJS and ini ones)" per their Discord.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zero One posted:

Allegedly it's an issue with the latest Nvidia driver 497.09 too. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-nvidia-497-09-always-ctd/477825

Also Live Weather is simulating Venus today. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/oat-of-248-c-at-fl285/478029

Oh boy not again with the insane temps

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Smdh, didn't think I would find climate change deniers in the flight sim thread.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
At this point, it's getting entertaining to watch Asobo continually find new poo poo to break every time they put out an update, but I feel bad for the poor 3rd party developers who have to keep fixing all the poo poo Asobo broke on their products each time an update gets released.

Apparently one of the upcoming sim updates will be dedicated 100% to fixing bugs and won't add anything new, so I fully expect that it'll somehow turn off gravity make lift work backwards.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I still can’t install the loving thing because their updater is trash, soooooooooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
These constant live weather issues make me wish there was a "random" weather preset. So you can have variety of conditions on a long flight without needing to constantly switch weather settings.