Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

e: Nvm. Mods you can see my edit history for my concern.

e2: well nvm

Gio fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

freebooter posted:

Lol wherever it comes from it's 100% accurate

It is for some people yes. But I don't see why that's a good reason to forego post a basic public service announcement for the benefit of the forums at large. :shrug:

Gio posted:

For the absolute love of god please make concern trolling about others mental health a probatable offense.

Vasukhani's posting has been consistently bizarre and disturbing and no matter what you or anyone else personally think of how are u, I do not think them wrong in this particular case.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zhar posted:

One thing I heard recently is that pulse oximeters are designed for white people (the light doesn't go through pigmented skin so easily) so people with darker skin are less likely to be treated properly in good time. I assume the oximeters get brought out after hospitalisation though, I just found it another faintly ridiculous thing PoC get a raw deal on.

:negative: I hadn't thought of this but it's completely unsurprising.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vasukhani posted:

I would gladly also go for that. I know my parts could help the better humans.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

so are you aware that vivisection is while you're still alive or not?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/tylerpager/status/1465449324503052291

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Has there been any word at all on under 5's?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

brugroffil posted:

Has there been any word at all on under 5's?

https://fortune.com/2021/11/12/covid-vaccines-for-little-kids-under-5-pfizer-2022/

Looks like sometime in early 2022. I had previously seen estimates of February, but I think it's all very, very tentative right now. I'm sorry, I know how much it sucks to be waiting for your kids to be able to get the vaccine.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

By the way, in case you are looking for the absolute best FFP2 or FFP3 mask, it's this one

FFP3 NR D "X-plore 1930"

much better than the 3M FFP2/3 masks. First, the fit is much better. These masks don't move an inch, even if you have a big ol' face, or a long face, or a small face etc.. Second, the straps are not simply tacked on, they are super sturdy. Third, because the straps are connected it's really easy to put on the mask as you don't need to stretch the bottom strap and the top one falls in place automatically. Fourth, they are much more comfy long term.

Highly recommend for high risk situations. Then again, they are like 8€ per piece so

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Haramstufe Rot posted:

By the way, in case you are looking for the absolute best FFP2 or FFP3 mask, it's this one

FFP3 NR D "X-plore 1930"

much better than the 3M FFP2/3 masks. First, the fit is much better. These masks don't move an inch, even if you have a big ol' face, or a long face, or a small face etc.. Second, the straps are not simply tacked on, they are super sturdy. Third, because the straps are connected it's really easy to put on the mask as you don't need to stretch the bottom strap and the top one falls in place automatically. Fourth, they are much more comfy long term.

Highly recommend for high risk situations. Then again, they are like 8€ per piece so

If you have a trusted online source for purchase, I'd be happy to have a mask recommendation for the OP for folks outside the US.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Yeah for Germany these guys are good
https://www.arbeitsschutz-express.de/de/atemschutzmaske-ffp3-nr-d-x-plore-1930-ohne-ventil-draeger-10019729385863?number=10019729385863
In the shop you can select from a number of EU countries, so if you google translate that site, it might work.

Early on they caught a fake batch of 3M masks and literally called me to have me check serial numbers.
Pricing is confusing because they mostly sell B2B so it's without VAT. The higher number is what you will pay. Also, you gotta buy at least a whole box (20 pieces).

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Haramstufe Rot posted:

!!!

I'm not as big of an elastomeric advocate as others but the cost of three of those masks can buy you a half-face respirator & filters. Can you not get respirators in Germany?

E: actually the site you listed has 3m respirators available too. What's the upside of these?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well they look more like regular masks that everybody else wears rather than something Bane wears. Like, that's a little flip but also I think something that people genuinely care about.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Normalize respirator wearing. We could have had a rad future where dads one up each other on masks and show off to each other at soccer practice.

But no, masks are weak and bad

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nexous posted:

Normalize respirator wearing. We could have had a rad future where dads one up each other on masks and show off to each other at soccer practice.

But no, masks are weak and bad

:hmmyes:

I just wear N95/KN95 disposables but that's primarily because I just don't go out a whole bunch. Mostly essential trips once every couple weeks for groceries or other errands.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think it's pretty safe to say that a lot of people genuinely do not want to wear a big chunky bane mask every time they go outside or go into a building. I don't think that's unreasonable at all. I haven't seen a single person wearing one in the past 2 years. I think people have the right to wear the mask the feel most comfortable with. I'd just like to see people wearing masks at all. I went to a neighboring city today to pick up something at the mall for my gf, and there were a lot more people walking around inside without masks than in my city. Same statewide indoor mask mandate applies there as well, yet people are flouting it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If you're around a bunch of unmasked people it'd be great to wear an n95 or p100!

It's shameful that public health departments in the US are still recommending cloth masks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, although even surgical masks are better than nothing and a lot of the anti-mask sentiment I've seen in the US is weird xenophobic poo poo where people think mask wearing is some weird Asian thing because it's so common in Japan, for instance. I don't know why mask wearing ending up being politicized so much but it's possibly one of the dumbest things wrt Covid that could have made a huge difference with spread.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, although even surgical masks are better than nothing and a lot of the anti-mask sentiment I've seen in the US is weird xenophobic poo poo where people think mask wearing is some weird Asian thing because it's so common in Japan, for instance. I don't know why mask wearing ending up being politicized so much but it's possibly one of the dumbest things wrt Covid that could have made a huge difference with spread.

As with a lot of things it traces straight back to Trump, who led by example. Three of the unmasked persons at the mall today were men probably in their late 20s early 30s, jacked up, one wearing a loving Molon Labe shirt. Trumpy fucks, and I'd bet real world $$ they listen to Joe Rogan.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

As with a lot of things it traces straight back to Trump, who led by example. Three of the unmasked persons at the mall today were men probably in their late 20s early 30s, jacked up, one wearing a loving Molon Labe shirt. Trumpy fucks, and I'd bet real world $$ they listen to Joe Rogan.

I think it goes deeper than that though, because I've heard people say weird poo poo about mask wearing even before Covid. Trump certainly didn't help, but it's something at least a good portion of the country was already primed for. And it was another President who decided that masks off (for vaccinated people, but we're going with the honor system, and whoopsie daisy vaxxed folks can still spread Covid).

e: Personally, when mask wearing and social distancing was at its peak in my area, I loved it. Not only did I feel safer about Covid, but I seriously haven't had a cold since 2019 and it's fuckin awesome. They always knock me on my rear end.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Professor Beetus posted:

I think it goes deeper than that though, because I've heard people say weird poo poo about mask wearing even before Covid. Trump certainly didn't help, but it's something at least a good portion of the country was already primed for. And it was another President who decided that masks off (for vaccinated people, but we're going with the honor system, and whoopsie daisy vaxxed folks can still spread Covid).

e: Personally, when mask wearing and social distancing was at its peak in my area, I loved it. Not only did I feel safer about Covid, but I seriously haven't had a cold since 2019 and it's fuckin awesome. They always knock me on my rear end.

Yeah fair enough. Trump certainly didn't help it any.

I actually have gotten some sort of cold or something for the first time in 2 years, just two days ago. It sucks! Thankfully not covid, I tested this morning.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

How are u posted:

Well they look more like regular masks that everybody else wears rather than something Bane wears. Like, that's a little flip but also I think something that people genuinely care about.

Well if you can afford to spend that kinda money on masks, more power to you I guess

personally, I'm not very concerned w the opinions of strangers

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How are u posted:

Yeah fair enough. Trump certainly didn't help it any.

I actually have gotten some sort of cold or something for the first time in 2 years, just two days ago. It sucks! Thankfully not covid, I tested this morning.

I feel like I'm coming down with the flu (had to attend a funeral, skipped the after party because lol being indoors with a bunch of unmasked unvaxxed Trump supporting relatives AND expected to eat mask off). Covid test negative. Apparently our local school's whole hockey team is down with the actual flu so that's a thing again.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Anyone who acts dumb about someone wearing an elastomer is not worth listening to; the price of one uses when a good elastomer is so drat cheap it's stupid not to switch, especially on aesthetics.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Professor Beetus posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with QCS? Or forums at large I guess if people are that upset about a helpful public service announcement?

A pattern of not enforcing rules or removing bad actors incentivized and rewarded abuse and trolling, which became a culture unto itself directed against healthy discussion in favor of further performative reactivity.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

I don't want to discourage people from wearing elastomerics, but I was on an American Airlines flight a little while back and a flight attendant made me remove mine and put on a "normal mask." I had switched to the half-face respirator mid-flight because several people around me took their masks off as soon as the lights dimmed and it made me uneasy.

I didn't argue given all the poo poo that flight attendants have to put up with (especially lately), and I assume she was trying to enforce safe practices. Plus I don't blame them for not being fully briefed on the latest mask technology or whatever.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

StratGoatCom posted:

Anyone who acts dumb about someone wearing an elastomer is not worth listening to; the price of one uses when a good elastomer is so drat cheap it's stupid not to switch, especially on aesthetics.

Hey if that's what you find most comfortable for your personal safety then more power to you! I don't care if somebody wears one of those themselves, I was just offering a reason why people might personally choose differently.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

How are u posted:

Hey if that's what you find most comfortable for your personal safety then more power to you! I don't care if somebody wears one of those themselves, I was just offering a reason why people might personally choose differently.

It’s a pandemic. Personal choice should be irrelevant. Respirators, disposable or otherwise, should be mandated and freely distributed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gio posted:

It’s a pandemic. Personal choice should be irrelevant. Respirators, disposable or otherwise, should be mandated and freely distributed.

Shoulda woulda coulda, I guess. You can declare that to be the truth all you like, but can you imagine for a moment *any* society on Earth doing this? Not even China does this, and they're the very best in the world!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Gio posted:

unfortunately, the last time respirators that fit me were widely available was the early Cold War

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slow News Day posted:

Their "vaccine diplomacy" has a terrible track record. Not only have they overpromised and failed to deliver in numerous situations (throwing their trading partners' vaccination campaigns in disarray), they have also done things like purposefully withhold deliveries in order to achieve unrelated goals. For example, last year they allegedly pressured the Turkish government to ratify a treaty that would allow the extradition of their Uyghur population. The Erdogan government denied the allegations, but that's probably because Uyghurs are Muslim-Turkic and his voter base strongly sympathizes with their plight. Regardless, Turkey ended up toning down its criticism of China's treatment of Uyghurs in order to make sure the vaccines keep coming (and since then managed to acquire 30 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine).

You should have mentioned that the allegations are from the opposition parties. There is nobody in the world I dislike more than Erdogan, but everybody in Turkey makes up or exaggerates stuff all the time, as do opposition parties everywhere. Have a gander at the media analysis and criticism thread for how to evaluate these kinds of statements.

Personally, I’d rate anything from İyi Parti as being amazingly less credible than even AKP. They’re pretty out there.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 30, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

zhar posted:

One thing I heard recently is that pulse oximeters are designed for white people (the light doesn't go through pigmented skin so easily) so people with darker skin are less likely to be treated properly in good time. I assume the oximeters get brought out after hospitalisation though, I just found it another faintly ridiculous thing PoC get a raw deal on.
It's less designed for white people and more that physics screws more pigmented people over. They do have to get tested on dark skin, but it's fundamentally always going to be a less accurate number than measuring on a more transparent person (and they're not that accurate of measurements to begin with). There's not really any good alternatives though since the only other way we have to continuously monitor blood oxygenation is putting in an arterial catheter in for an ABG and that's a much bigger risk/invasiveness deal than clipping an oximeter over your finger.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

How are u posted:

Shoulda woulda coulda, I guess. You can declare that to be the truth all you like, but can you imagine for a moment *any* society on Earth doing this? Not even China does this, and they're the very best in the world!

I’m fairly certain Germany was requiring a minimum of FFP2 on public transit and in schools.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nm

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

China also doesn’t have near the Covid problem that we or anyone else does, and they appear to have a grip on it, so I would assume they feel surgical masks are sufficient. “We can’t do that!” is probably not the reason they haven’t mandated KN95s.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Phlag posted:

I don't want to discourage people from wearing elastomerics, but I was on an American Airlines flight a little while back and a flight attendant made me remove mine and put on a "normal mask." I had switched to the half-face respirator mid-flight because several people around me took their masks off as soon as the lights dimmed and it made me uneasy.

I didn't argue given all the poo poo that flight attendants have to put up with (especially lately), and I assume she was trying to enforce safe practices. Plus I don't blame them for not being fully briefed on the latest mask technology or whatever.

that is literally the sole use case where they can be said to be superior, and frankly getting in a flying plague marinade bag strikes me as ill advised if it can be at all avoided.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
TBH if everyone could get into the habit of wearing at least surgical masks and avoiding lovely loose fitting cloth fashion statements, you could at least do a lot to control the spread. They just don't offer satisfactory protection for the wearer, and when mask mandates are scattershot and people constantly pull their masks down around their chin to loving sneeze or talk on the phone or eat or etc., I am not going to be caught dead wearing anything less than an N95 standard respirator. The worst masks I think I see on a fairly regular basis are cloth masks that are so baggy the sides just hang open. Very good, Covid can only go forward if you cough or breathe!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

TBH if everyone could get into the habit of wearing at least surgical masks and avoiding lovely loose fitting cloth fashion statements, you could at least do a lot to control the spread. They just don't offer satisfactory protection for the wearer, and when mask mandates are scattershot and people constantly pull their masks down around their chin to loving sneeze or talk on the phone or eat or etc., I am not going to be caught dead wearing anything less than an N95 standard respirator. The worst masks I think I see on a fairly regular basis are cloth masks that are so baggy the sides just hang open. Very good, Covid can only go forward if you cough or breathe!
Thats my concern with masking in general right now. I was on packed public transit yesterday (bus) and I wondered what spread looks like if at least one covid positive person isn't masking or dicknosing. How protected are the people with cloth or surgical masks? How about N-95/KN-95s, or even ones that are "soiled" from repeated use? I guess my question is, how possible is it to control spread if you're going to have at least a few members of the public not masking or dicknosing? Does it make too much of a difference with delta/omni and when everyone is still using cloth? It all just seems to require a highly disciplined public which seems kind of impossible.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Thats my concern with masking in general right now. I was on packed public transit yesterday (bus) and I wondered what spread looks like if at least one covid positive person isn't masking or dicknosing. How protected are the people with cloth or surgical masks? How about N-95/KN-95s, or even ones that are "soiled" from repeated use? I guess my question is, how possible is it to control spread if you're going to have at least a few members of the public not masking or dicknosing? Does it make too much of a difference with delta/omni and when everyone is still using cloth? It all just seems to require a highly disciplined public which seems kind of impossible.

With how badly it's been faddled, it boils down to... well, the CSPAM truism of 'no one will save you, only trust your respirator.'

Hate to be flip, but that's the math right now. The best measure is self-rescue at the moment.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That's why I use KN-95's all the time now. My understanding is that they provide a much better level of protection than your average cloth mask, but I reuse mine because its still rather expensive so im not quite sure if they're still holding up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

How are u posted:

We’ve been having a universal FFP2 mandate in Bavaria since October 2020. Cases are still super high since everyone just gets infected in private settings.