Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is a substantial difficulty bump between the first three stages, with the one between 1 and 2 being the most notable. The next big bump is in between Normal and Elite difficulties, there is a good amount of grind and game learning to do to go from beating Normal with regularity to finally beating Elite with regularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

skeletronics posted:

drat, all these clear reports. I got this a few days ago and I still can't get past the desert on normal. Do I just suck, or have I just not played enough? Filling out the progression tree is getting pretty grindy, but I'm still having fun. I've only just unlocked the bird, so there's a way to go still. I've been playing exclusively solo, so I ought to try some co op and see how that goes.

the big bump is generally beating Lu Wu in Tomb (game trying to teach dash use vs boss patterns and elemental weaknesses for shields) and the next one being Desert where you start to learn a very healthy respect for any tall/skinny enemies and big boys that lumber toward you holding a big gun. Also the Desert boss.

Baseline stats aside, the big thing for progressing easier is getting to Exclusive inscriptions unlocked for weapons. Exclusive inscriptions make the difference between a good weapon and an OP weapon. That and eventually being able to refresh your peddler shops and having an expanded inventory in them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

just unlocked Tao and idk wtf i'm doing but i love it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

haha bunny go brrrrrrr < my brain when I first played Bunny. It hasn't changed much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it ain't wrong. i'm all about any game mechanic that encourages throwing as much dakka downrange as possible, and to hell with sanity and/or the laws of physics :orks:

(e) which makes opening boxes like this all the more irritating :argh:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You'll quickly replace any starter box gun anyway, so it's nbd at least. That said you bringing Bunny up inspired me to take a swing at R8 with her. I reiterate:

haha bunny go brrrr

Spiritual Blessings were the literal platonic ideal of Bunny exclusives with Ice Blade in tomb and Sword Mastery at the Desert along with 2 really early levels in Sword Guard basically carried me through the game. The gun didn't even really matter, I just need a fast firing high mag size weapon to keep the swords flowing on CD and Against The Flow to make sure I never worried about ammo again. Even with just one point each in my two preferred offensive masteries for Sword Bunny I still just melted anything I looked at while never being even close to dying.

video for those interested: https://streamable.com/5wcbcs

Fun fact: After you beat Polar Monarch the game gives you infinite secondary ammo and no CD on your primary skill and dash. Ultimately sort of pointless but it does lead to something very silly with a Sword Bunny build.

silly video for those interested: https://streamable.com/ucjayp

:toot: for first R8 clear!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Had an R8 game as snipercat where I got this thing:

Alongside a final judgment scroll, there was very little even in R8 it wouldn't one-hit-kill

https://i.imgur.com/UlXzWv5.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/e9FALpk.mp4

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Noper Q posted:

My first successful Elite run with my friend was won on the back of a mediocre Mortar. All it really had was the shared clip gemini. But with an OK explosion dog build, I was wiping entire waves of enemies with the alt fire and taking off 10-20% of the final boss's health per shot with the main fire.

I think it's pretty good. Possibly my favorite gun so far, though I still have a long way to go.

The new mortar with any way to not have to reload it is amazing. I like it with Ammo Depot - you do -15% weapon damage but it fires from reserve ammo instead of magazine ammo. You can spam mortar shots constantly with no reloading and it's glorious.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

skeletronics posted:

drat, all these clear reports. I got this a few days ago and I still can't get past the desert on normal. Do I just suck, or have I just not played enough? Filling out the progression tree is getting pretty grindy, but I'm still having fun. I've only just unlocked the bird, so there's a way to go still. I've been playing exclusively solo, so I ought to try some co op and see how that goes.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think there's kind of a moment where elements of this game click for people and that can happen at different times. If a game gives me a dash and ways to make dumb builds I will break it fast.

Ended up being right with my last prediction that we'd clear R1 on my next co-op session: I duo'd with a buddy and we made it to R3 after some pretty sick runs, failures and otherwise.

Saw him break 100m damage for the first time on his first run as Bunny. I tossed him an enhanced laser glove with the buff landing on ROF and managed to snag him some ammo scrolls early so he just never ran out and never had to reload. It was the hardest example of a hyper carry I've seen yet, just so many loving swords.

I finally unlocked the Corrosion sword in that run too and I love that anime bullshit. I'd been trying to go Slap build on Bird but it didn't play out so I just pivoted to resetting Leap with the Spiritual stacking buff and enhanced triple dash. Might have been the most fun run so far.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

700 stacks in dual edge is fun

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 26, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Minorkos posted:

Oh so this is how you solo a multiplayer match

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Zernach posted:

can I get an invite to the steam group? IGN is Zernach.
Sure, but just name dropping like that won't do, you see, Steam's search sucks donkey... and whatever IGN you use is most probably not even remotely unique to the billion plus (bot) accounts on Steam. So either ring the doorbell for someone to answer, or a clickable working link that leads to your Facebook profile.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Minorkos posted:

rocket tag is the best tag. I've never seriously messed around with Tiger's sniper builds and uh, wow :eyepop:

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

My first successful run with punch turtle I wound up spending a lot of time not punching, because I got the thunder gauntlet with a stacking 50% elemental trigger chance and the gemini inscription that makes weapons share their elements... so basically any pack of enemies I could insta-Blight an entire group.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Newest update, more relevant changes

quote:

Spiritual Blessings & Reincarnation:
Adjusted the challenges in [Reincarnation - Level 8].
Removed:"Monsters will rage and gain immunity to death upon taking lethal DMG. They will be defeated only when all monsters enter the rage phase."
Added:"Monsters will not leave immediately even if they have been defeated."
Rewards Adjustment: In addition to a golden goblet, a legendary scroll will also be granted after completing the challenge "Innumerable elite monsters are coming!"
Optimized: The area that can trigger challenge and the monster combinations related to the challenge event "Innumerable elite monsters are coming!" have been optimized.
Quantity Adjustment: Reduced the number of challenges in Act 1, and increased the number of challenges one would encounter in Act 3 & 4.
While carrying the blessing [Craftsman's Inheritor] and you reach the scroll limit, the stack-based scrolls in your backpack, such as [Dual-edge],[Veteran], etc., will not be replaced first.

Levels:
Added new routes in[Hyperborean Jokul - Stage 2].
The peddler in [Hyperborean Jokul] will sell Occult Scrolls to players now.
A golden goblet and a legendary scroll will be dropped after defeating the boss in [Duo Fjord].
[Peculiar Chests] will appear in [Hyperborean Jokul] now.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

That immunity on death modifier in R8 really really sucked when you get it in the Fjord map, a billion invulnerable lanterns. Especially since you cant really see which monsters were "dead" and which were still alive outside of actually shooting them.

And Innumerable elites is just a massive grind, we had it on that bridge section on Fjord yesterday which is like the most annoying place to get multiple elite monks and those fish warriors. I'm glad they added more rewards for beating that slog

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tips for noobs

~Be flexible~
Example 1. I was playing with Cat, I started with the idea of doing a smoke nades build. In fact, my first three ascensions were chosen for the nades. But I got two scrolls that boost shock damage, and later a third one and a decent shock damage weapon after beating the first boss, so it was clearly time to change gears and do a elemental build and focus on shock weapons.
Example 2. Yesterday I got a very good weapon, with good inscriptions and synergistic with my build. I only needed to etch the gemini inscription and I would have THE weapon of the run. Well, the gods didn't want that, I reforged the stupid inscription 9 or 10 times and still wouldn't appear the gemini inscription I had on the other weapon. By the time I finally got it, another weapon that was also excellent appeared on my game, and the money I had wasted on re-rolling the gemini inscription could have been used in upgrading even more the new weapon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

68 hours in, I can now beat Elite with regularity (and even feeling it's easy if I have a good build). Time to go for Nightmare. I want at least reach Reinc1 as it unlocks some new build options.
Also, I just finishing unlocking all scrolls. And I have all weapons except one.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Turin Turambar posted:

68 hours in, I can now beat Elite with regularity (and even feeling it's easy if I have a good build). Time to go for Nightmare. I want at least reach Reinc1 as it unlocks some new build options.
Also, I just finishing unlocking all scrolls. And I have all weapons except one.

Yeah I can say that getting to R1 is a really good goal and can drastically change how you play each run, the added options of Spiritual Blessings are super fun and getting enhanced scrolls regularly just rules

edit: Does anyone know offhand if the mid-air damage scroll applies to Bird's Leap? Or do I need to be jumping around like an rear end in a top hat while shooting to make it work?

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 28, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jumping around and shooting like an rear end in a top hat. I actually don't know if it'd apply to Bird's Leap since you do have to contact something to deal the damage. I'm always bunny hopping everywhere anyway in this game so the mid-air damage scroll is always worth it to me. The enhanced one is even better.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I don't understand the wording of the increase crit Gemini. The wiki emphasizes the word bonus and gives an example that also doesn't make sense to me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After playing this much, I'm reaching the typical point where you start noticing more flaws to the game, which were there from the start, but only now I see them.

First, the enemy spawn is way less random (is it random at all?) than I supposed at first. Funny thing I needed so much time to see it. Not the most important issue in reality, the fact I hadn't noticed until now means isn't that big problem.

Second, the 'meta' of the game is, once reached a stage of the game, to choose one of the two main weapons and pump the weapon level with upgrades as far as you can. I would prefer if using the two weapons (because ammo considerations, enemies with armor or shields, long vs short range, etc) would be maintained more time, ideally until the end of the game. But right now, upgrading a weapon to +12 instead of +5 increases the damage enough that it doesn't matter if you are firing an enemy with the wrong damage type (-25% dmg). Each weapon level increases damage by 15%, btw. Having one weapon at level 12 is way better than having two weapons at level 8.
I'd prefer if each weapon upgrade of a weapon would cost more and more, promoting using more the two weapons. Of course, they would have to rebalance the entire game, as the final weapon level you would reach would be inferior than right now.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 28, 2021

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

After playing this much, I'm reaching the typical point where you start noticing more flaws to the game, which were there from the start, but only now I see them.

First, the enemy spawn is way less random (is it random at all?) than I supposed at first. Funny thing I needed so much time to see it. Not the most important issue in reality, the fact I hadn't noticed until now means isn't that big problem.

Second, the 'meta' of the game is, once reached a stage of the game, to choose one of the two main weapons and pump the weapon level with upgrades as far as you can. I would prefer if using the two weapons (because ammo considerations, enemies with armor or shields, long vs short range, etc) would be maintained more time, ideally until the end of the game. But right now, upgrading a weapon to +12 instead of +5 increases the damage enough that it doesn't matter if you are firing an enemy with the wrong damage type (-25% dmg). Each weapon level increases damage by 15%, btw. Having one weapon at level 12 is way better than having two weapons at level 8.
I'd prefer if each weapon upgrade of a weapon would cost more and more, promoting using more the two weapons. Of course, they would have to rebalance the entire game, as the final weapon level you would reach would be inferior than right now.

I think a good alternative is if spending money at the gunsmith raised the level of all weapons, including those you find. The other flaw with the meta being getting one good gun and spamming it is that you often find guns that would be really kickass late in the game that aren't worth switching to.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Cleared Nightmare for the first timeI don't think I realized when I beat him on Elite that Polar Monarch gives you infinite ammo in his final phase, so when I tapped alt-fire on this guy, explosions EVERYWHERE.

WarpedLichen posted:

The other flaw with the meta being getting one good gun and spamming it is that you often find guns that would be really kickass late in the game that aren't worth switching to.

Yeah I used the above gun from when I first found it as a level 4(?) with that exclusive inscription.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wow grenade dog is a very good boy

(this was r3)

By the end I could just spam grenades endlessly and never run out. I was gaining one every 3 second (from a phantom scroll) and every 10 seconds (from an ascendance) and had 65% chance to not spend a grenade each throw. I never got the thing to double secondary skill capacity which would have effectively doubled my damage

All you really need for the build is the Atomic Bomb phantom scroll and then some method of regenerating grenades and bam, boomboy is in full effect

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm at this point now too and it kind of sucks - the main thing that's hitting me is that (as someone who plays in 4 player public games) Rebirth 8 is an awful, awful and unfun difficulty where you spend full minutes emptying clips into enemies' heads, but when matchmaking for Reincarnation you cannot select what level you get - you get randomly queued with any Reincarnation level game and almost everyone just plays R8. This has flatlined my will/ability to play this game ever since I beat R8. I don't want to play below Reincarnation because you don't get the build-defining Phantom skills, but I don't want to play R8 and I can't choose not to. So I keep booting the game up, checking Reincarnation matchmaking and not playing when it's R7/R8. I've only played one run since I beat R8 :smith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 29, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

hell yeah GRENADE Dog is best dog.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm at this point now too and it kind of sucks - the main thing that's hitting me is that (as someone who plays in 4 player public games) Rebirth 8 is an awful, awful and unfun difficulty where you spend full minutes emptying clips into enemies' heads, but when matchmaking for Reincarnation you cannot select what level you get - you get randomly queued with any Reincarnation level game and almost everyone just plays R8. This has flatlined my will/ability to play this game ever since I beat R8. I don't want to play below Reincarnation because you don't get the build-defining Phantom skills, but I don't want to play R8 and I can't choose not to. So I keep booting the game up, checking Reincarnation matchmaking and not playing when it's R7/R8. I've only played one run since I beat R8 :smith:
If you want a steam bud, I duo with a buddy and we matchmake until we get 2 pubbies, neither of us are pros but we've got a pretty good winrate on R8 now. I'm not gonna say our runs are pretty (20 - 40 downs each by the end of the game is not uncommon, some of those early tombs rooms can be real fuckers), but it's definitely easier if you get a decent group that shares scrolls and weapons smartly. Often you'll just get one bro who gets all the scrolls, outpaces everyone and is left with anemic teammates when they inevitably get cocky and go down.

In my experience R8 is all about exploiting elemental fusions, miasma to crowd control enemies especially. Enemies shooting eachother ain't shootin you, and with those curving-bullet-crossbow assholes in act1 , that's a real blessing. Elemental cat can do it easily with basically any lightning weapon and if you get a good thunderclap glove and some grenade or element dmg upgrade you have a much easier time; rolling with ascensions and picking good synergies becomes a lot more important.

The only real fuckers I've seen in R8 are Elite Spearmen in act 1, they've never not been complete slogs to fight and are often a breakpoint for a group I've found.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I can't imagine public matchmaking into Reincarnation, that sounds nuts and incredibly annoying. I'd rather solo and occasionally get rocket tagged while getting a good build. Somewhat related but I've been trying to Tiger on R8 and holy poo poo he's just so drat squishy. Really feels like the only character you need co-op to have some kind of front line for so you can do your glass cannon job safer.

Feel free to add me as well, I wouldn't mind doing some R8 co-op lobbies occasionally. Sort of want to see the health scaling in action.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

My steamid: https://steamcommunity.com/id/fishstick/

Like I said i'm no pro and I just roll with what seems like good builds but just from duoing coop with pubbies if you can make it through act 1 you're usually set unless someone is lagging way behind. The tiny rooms and lots of traps coupled with crossbow gunners and nasty vault surprises with Elite Spearmen weeds out bad groups fast, and thats usually where we rack up most downs :v:. By act 2 people usually have most of their poo poo together and from then on even the health scaling can't help the enemies then and its the random challenges that can be tricky. That and the game going into " too many numbers!" mode and starts lagging out

I recorded these to show off some lag issues to someone but you can see even with 2 pubbies R8 can be pretty fun if you get a decent group, even with gimmick all cat crews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RiD6bDTEKs

https://i.imgur.com/UlXzWv5.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/D99W2xo.mp4

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Been putting some quality time with this game again but have hit a big wall on R1. Still having fun though especially with the new characters.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

meanwhile i've only got one win on normal lol

not sure whether i should be grinding away at elite or doing normal and hopefully getting more wins, talent-currency-wise

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

play what you're comfortable on! There are unlocks behind killing bosses a certain amount of times as well as some other fun stuff, keep an eye out for things to work towards while you get soul essence for talents

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Would this game be kid friendly for kids around 10 years old? I don't really mean 'mature' content, I just mean difficulty/design/playstyle. Roguelites can be very challenging, and especially with my son, we sometimes have a problem in coop games where he immediately rushes around and dies, and then just has to watch me for a long time before he can respawn.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cicero posted:

Would this game be kid friendly for kids around 10 years old? I don't really mean 'mature' content, I just mean difficulty/design/playstyle. Roguelites can be very challenging, and especially with my son, we sometimes have a problem in coop games where he immediately rushes around and dies, and then just has to watch me for a long time before he can respawn.

That particular habit would be quite rough. Rezing teammates in situ has to be done by another player, takes a few seconds, and if you don't do it within a certain time (increasingly short as the deaths stack up), they're donezo until the next boss is dead, you reach a peddler (and have the currency to spare to buy the rez), or, well, the game ends :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

got my first stage 4 win just now :toot: laser glove +20 gemini'd to 5.5 critx, plus the stacking critx for crits inscription, plus the crit for 3s on damage scroll, plus the scroll that burns me when I burn an enemy so I'm always taking damage ticks, plus enough slap build poo poo to keep my armor topped up forever

wish i'd got that on elite instead of normal lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cicero posted:

Theoretically you should be able to carry him through Normal and Reviving is generally forgiving (assuming you do it quick enough). normal isn't that hard and the game has incremental upgrades even if you lose that makes your runs go easier and after enough it should be a cake. but ngl, unless they have ~fps skills~, and for some the motor function of being able to WASD + aim a mouse and click at the same time just isn't in the brain-development cards at that age (or hell, any age), it might not be something they can do. Maybe they can, I think i was playing 90s FPS games at that age but didn't get into them until i was more like 13 or so.

i would probably see how they can handle themselves at something simple like modded Minecraft. i dont play it but im sure there's mods that turn it into a lite-FPS game and should be a quick check for a basics of fps gaming (always be dashing, always be strafing, click monsters, spin around and click more monsters)

I would recommend Deep Rock Galactic instead in this case because it has basically a range of modes from kid-glove mode (Haz 1/2) scaling up to tryhard-but-doable mode (Haz 5); and isn't that challenging mechanically or anything with not really any time constraints or anything. plus its fun to drill. and also tehres no penalty for dying and you can be revived at any time. DRG is probably the platonic ideal of a co-op game to play with anyone of any age

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 30, 2021

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

got my first stage 4 win just now :toot: laser glove +20 gemini'd to 5.5 critx, plus the stacking critx for crits inscription, plus the crit for 3s on damage scroll, plus the scroll that burns me when I burn an enemy so I'm always taking damage ticks, plus enough slap build poo poo to keep my armor topped up forever

wish i'd got that on elite instead of normal lol

I tend to hate any of the gloves, unless I can get the Critx gemini on them. Turns out when a weapon's main weakness is super weak criticals, they become completely busted when you get a sniper critx on them, who knew? :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The lightning glove is great on the cat because that + grenades lets you very quickly spam 9 stacks of Miasma on a group, then every enemy in that group becomes a walking aoe that deals 108% of its max health as damage to everything around it every second. That and grenade dog are my two favorite builds now because they're both easy to put together and incredibly strong, and as long as you get some way to regenerate secondary skill uses they're very safe.

Then you can take a fire weapon like the fire glove (but anything that does fire damage really, the glove is just for iron man style points) and get the gemini that makes weapons share elemental effects and you can spam all 6 elemental effects on every group mostly instantly. The gloves are pretty good for applying Combustion even though they'll do low explosion damage because they'll apply it a huge number of times. And since your damage is largely not based on your weapon's damage you don't even need to upgrade it or worry about the fact that you're using shock gloves against bosses. Regular enemies end up mostly perma-CC'd while taking huge amounts of damage and you still do respectable damage to elites/bosses. Combined with the Ascension that makes cat's grenades hugely debuff enemy's damage done and damage taken and the phantom skill that makes allies take -20% damage while in your grenades, it's a great build for carrying public games especially.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 30, 2021

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Lightning gloves specifically completely tear up groups because the elemental effect already spreads, so bunched up enemies hit eachother multiple times. Once you start stacking miasma and explosions and all that othr fun stuff on top of that, things skyrocket fast. Probably the easiest way to become OP as elemental cat

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fishstick posted:

If you want a steam bud, I duo with a buddy and we matchmake until we get 2 pubbies, neither of us are pros but we've got a pretty good winrate on R8 now. I'm not gonna say our runs are pretty (20 - 40 downs each by the end of the game is not uncommon, some of those early tombs rooms can be real fuckers), but it's definitely easier if you get a decent group that shares scrolls and weapons smartly. Often you'll just get one bro who gets all the scrolls, outpaces everyone and is left with anemic teammates when they inevitably get cocky and go down.

In my experience R8 is all about exploiting elemental fusions, miasma to crowd control enemies especially. Enemies shooting eachother ain't shootin you, and with those curving-bullet-crossbow assholes in act1 , that's a real blessing. Elemental cat can do it easily with basically any lightning weapon and if you get a good thunderclap glove and some grenade or element dmg upgrade you have a much easier time; rolling with ascensions and picking good synergies becomes a lot more important.

The only real fuckers I've seen in R8 are Elite Spearmen in act 1, they've never not been complete slogs to fight and are often a breakpoint for a group I've found.

I am extremely bad about playing games at scheduled times and play in short bursts which is why I stick to matchmaking but thanks for the offer :kiddo: I did take your advice to heart and started building around Miasma in R8 and that has made it much more tolerable with runs not taking 90+ minutes.