Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

TacoNight posted:

Why an acorn symbol to indicate non-legality in eternal formats, when squirrels are legal in modern, including an acorn-shooting gun that uses acorn counters?

Because it’s nuts!

*booing and jeering as I am pulled off the stage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TacoNight posted:

Why an acorn symbol to indicate non-legality in eternal formats, when squirrels are legal in modern, including an acorn-shooting gun that uses acorn counters?

because it's an easy to read small symbol that represents the general idea of an un-set to most people familiar with said sets

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Do foil etched secret lairs bend like normal foils?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

Do foil etched secret lairs bend like normal foils?

https://youtu.be/fAsAN6GKY_0

Yup they do

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TacoNight posted:

Maro loving loves squirrels

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That's not a magic card

e: lol this exact conversation already happened

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 29, 2021

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TacoNight posted:

Maro and forscythe think squirrels are the height of comedy

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"Squirrelsday resolves, I cast Brainsquirrel, cycle Squirrel Wraith, cycle Squirrel Wraith, Thassa's Squir-acle, do you have Force of Squirrel?" - someone in a legacy top 8 in 2024, probably

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

"Squirrelsday resolves, I cast Brainsquirrel, cycle Squirrel Wraith, cycle Squirrel Wraith, Thassa's Squir-acle, do you have Force of Squirrel?" - someone in a legacy top 8 in 2024, probably

*Justin Timberlake voice* It’s gonna be me

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The last unset absolutely sold well, they reprinted it 4 times.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I'd be a lot less bummed about them getting rid of the silver border if the acorn hologram wasn't so dang small. It's hard to tell the difference between the wrong Water Gun Baloon Game and the fixed one with my lovely, lovely eyes.

I do think it's neat they are also adding in eternal legal cards, not every Un card needs to be broken. Plus if they want to shove in a bunch of Legends for Commander an Un set will give them a lot more design space to work with.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't have too much of a dog in the fight about what they do in paper, but conceptually I mostly just think it's inelegant to have half a set (or whatever percentage it is, idk) be legal while the rest isn't. I kind of wonder if they could have just found a way to tone down the Un-ness of it and make a disconnected sci fi carnival set where it was all non-Standard and quirky but legal, and maybe that's where it's headed in the future and this is just a weird stitched together compromise on the road to that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sinteres posted:

I don't have too much of a dog in the fight about what they do in paper, but conceptually I mostly just think it's inelegant to have half a set (or whatever percentage it is, idk) be legal while the rest isn't. I kind of wonder if they could have just found a way to tone down the Un-ness of it and make a disconnected sci fi carnival set where it was all non-Standard and quirky but legal, and maybe that's where it's headed in the future and this is just a weird stitched together compromise on the road to that.

We just had a set this year with multiple cards in it that were not legal in standard.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

We just had a set this year with multiple cards in it that were not legal in standard.

Bonus cards that aren't legal isn't the same thing as a part of the set itself being legal while the rest isn't. Plus they're still legal in most formats even if they aren't in Standard, while the Un cards aren't.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
all four cards we've seen are the same level of silly you'd expect from an un-set, it's just half of them are mechanically unfit to be legal outside an unset and the other half are. i wouldn't want them to stop making cards like the zombie that only has flying if you hold it physically above the table or the one that fights any creature it hits when you throw it at the playfield from across the room, but i also think it's cool that the cards that are silly but more reasonable rules-wise will get to see the light of day outside the one or two times you actually get to play an un-set

i mean, every silly set they've released has had cards people have looked at and gone 'you could probably change that slightly and be able to play it outside the one time you're actually playing that set,' even the playtest cards.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

flatluigi posted:

all four cards we've seen are the same level of silly you'd expect from an un-set, it's just half of them are mechanically unfit to be legal outside an unset and the other half are. i wouldn't want them to stop making cards like the zombie that only has flying if you hold it physically above the table or the one that fights any creature it hits when you throw it at the playfield from across the room, but i also think it's cool that the cards that are silly but more reasonable rules-wise will get to see the light of day outside the one or two times you actually get to play an un-set

i mean, every silly set they've released has had cards people have looked at and gone 'you could probably change that slightly and be able to play it outside the one time you're actually playing that set,' even the playtest cards.

Part of the reason I'm speculating that this could be an in between step to them making an Un equivalent without the need for goofy physical interactions like that is because of Arena. Obviously there are conspiracy theories about how paper's going to die and be replaced by Arena, and I'm not saying that, but I do think creating sets that can't ever be on Arena (or a successor to Arena, if not having multiplayer for Commander becomes an insurmountable problem for that program) even if they add new formats might be something they'll want to stop doing someday.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I do kinda wish they'd insert arena bonuses in paper packs, like on the backs of ad cards/tokens and such. have a limit per day on the amount you can redeem or something I guess, but having something I could get more gold/gems from while I'm cracking packs would be neat. I think I heard the pokemon card game packs do that, or did that, but I'd much prefer an MTG version.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sinteres posted:

Part of the reason I'm speculating that this could be an in between step to them making an Un equivalent without the need for goofy physical interactions like that is because of Arena. Obviously there are conspiracy theories about how paper's going to die and be replaced by Arena, and I'm not saying that, but I do think creating sets that can't ever be on Arena (or a successor to Arena, if not having multiplayer for Commander becomes an insurmountable problem for that program) even if they add new formats might be something they'll want to stop doing someday.

i think their reasoning in the article is sound regarding why they decided to make some of the cards that they could eternal legal, and i think that if they wanted to do an un-set that purely worked in digital they could just do that while still making unsets for paper. if there's anything we really know about wotc these days is that they're really not shying away from making multiple products for different categories of people

personally if i'm going to call a shot i'd bet they make a set named something like "Unprintable" that's digital-only in the next decade or so, once they've finally backfilled all the cards they can into arena + can work on brand new things in the small amounts of time between new set releases

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sinteres posted:

So the last few unsets, in my opinion, REALLY toned down the "un" part of the sets and basically made a bunch of cards that are basically magic cards but with silly names. They even went over this in the article as a reason why they're making Eternal legal un cards now. Which means what I think you think is happening already happened.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think there's maybe 5 good cards in both Unstable/Unsactioned and 4 of them are the last strike zombie. (Crow storm is the other... Spike too)

PYF Un cards:
Ashnod's Coupon
AWOL
Blacker Lotus
Booster Tutor
Cheatyface
Chaos Confetti
Clambassidors
Rock Lobster / Paper Tiger / Scissors Lizard
Enter the Dungeon
Johnny / Timmy
Look at me I'm the DCI
Super Secret Tech
Who // What // Where // When // Why

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Knight of the Hokey Pokey

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I want them to print an eternal legal Indicate in this Un-set.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unsummon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Unbreak My Heart

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
all of this acorn griping and nobody mentioned this from the unfinity article?

one of the set writers is:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/unfinity-and-beyond-2021-11-29 posted:

Seanbaby "invented being funny on the internet" and is also known for his contributions to media outlets such as Electronic Gaming Monthly and websites such as Cracked.com. He currently writes for 1-900-HOT-DOG.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also the folks from Ready Something Run, which good for them.

Target Minotaur legacy legal please.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The World Inferno posted:

Also the folks from Ready Something Run, which good for them.

Target Minotaur legacy legal please.

loading ready run, like what you see on the commodore 64

they're good people (desert bus for hope raised over a million dollars this year!) and i'm excited to see the dumb jokes they helped write

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
make Indicate real

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Give me an infinite supply of Confetti Orb pls

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
I have to throw my lot in with the Indicate crowd.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Aabcehmu posted:

I have to throw my lot in with the Indicate crowd.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

dragon enthusiast posted:

make Indicate real

This one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Give the cheese stands alone the godzilla treatment and let it be legal

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are you familiar with Barren Glory?

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

When dice rolling was announced for AFR I was hoping we'd get a black border reprint of Krark's Other Thumb. With dice coming back I think we'll see a black border reprint one way or another :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Aranan posted:

Are you familiar with Barren Glory?

Yeah, let the cheese stands alone stand with barren glory and be its godzilla equivalent

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://youtu.be/hXzpnjLO_-o

All I want is one of these swords in the set

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ah yes, the infamous Dualcaster Mage/Saw in Half combo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
EE: Reading the card explains the card. Cast saw in half first.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Darkoni posted:

When dice rolling was announced for AFR I was hoping we'd get a black border reprint of Krark's Other Thumb. With dice coming back I think we'll see a black border reprint one way or another :v:

doesn't this kinda exist already with pixie guide? granted you can't choose which die to ignore with that card