Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Had my first genuine "caused by patching" error, two years after I joined this place and introduced them to the concept of patching servers being important.

The kerberos delegation issue in this month's OS update hosed over a script I wrote. A script that keeps the marketing department from spamming us with bullshit IIS changes

In the last two years patching has been blamed for so much poo poo, and most times the closest it's actually been is $ShitSystem can't handle a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't even understand the argument, "patching broke this service" "and what do you suggest we do instead?".

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Teams or Slack or Discord are one thing. Emails are another. I dont treat them like a chat program.

On the upside, I managed to figure out with 80% certainty where $77k in missing material went in Q3. lovely labeling and lovely counting!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Fool posted:

It’s probably a good thing that Teams doesn’t do custom emoji’s because I would out myself as a goon instantly

This finally happened to me yesterday, somebody new to the org asked me if I was a goon because I convinced our Slack admin ages ago to add :colbert:, :hmmyes:, :laugh:, and a couple others. I figured at the time that I'd probably outed myself to someone on my own team, but the only comment I got was "where do you keep finding these AIM-quality emojis".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My greatest legacy at work will not be the cloud network I built, nor the secrets management system, nor the many incidents I handled. It’s :iiam:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

My greatest legacy at work will not be the cloud network I built, nor the secrets management system, nor the many incidents I handled. It’s :iiam:

:golfclap:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't even understand the argument, "patching broke this service" "and what do you suggest we do instead?".

If patching broke a service, they were likely implementing that service very poorly in the first place. Programmers :argh:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Trying to get our outsourced IT department to do something in relating to Azure VMs. They're asking me for VM names, role, and 'the usual information needed'. Do...you think you can clarify this? Or should I just send back random snippets of info until they have what they need?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Iron Rose posted:

someone at my company pegged me as a goon just for writing out "it is a mystery" and "mystery solved". i've probably got some folks suspicious because i added :thunk: to our chat software and use that as my avatar everywhere. better sort of suspicion than if i still branded myself with the gadsden flag (forgive me, it just meant cranky and defiant and not outright fascist when i started working here)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Fix It posted:

someone at my company pegged me as a goon just for writing out "it is a mystery" and "mystery solved". i've probably got some folks suspicious because i added :thunk: to our chat software and use that as my avatar everywhere. better sort of suspicion than if i still branded myself with the gadsden flag (forgive me, it just meant cranky and defiant and not outright fascist when i started working here)

I might have told this story before, but I used a nu from Chrono Trigger as my avatar for ages. Then upper management decided we should all use pictures of ourselves. I just...didn't, and no one noticed until 8:30pm on a Friday an unknown number of drinks into the evening, at which point an HR puke somehow got my cell number and texted me that I needed to deal with it immediately. So my photo is a badly cropped and crooked selfie taken in bad lighting while wearing a black shirt. The entire team is subjected daily to my disembodied head leering maniacally from their teams window.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I guess I’m lucky in that some people know I am a goon and it seems to mean something to them, but it never comes up at work. Makes me feel special to get hot dish or whatever from SA while avoiding complicated goon handshakes.

Plenty of the group surfs Reddit though we don’t get too many memes leaking in.

I set up the avatar service for our Jabber deployment so I have a copy of everyone’s avatar jpeg - nothing too bizarre out there, sorry to say.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

An actual picture of my co-workers if a procedure requires them to login to a Linux box...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can do anything in Linux... as long as I have access to Google on a different computer at the same time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KillHour posted:

I can do anything in Linux... as long as I have access to Google on a different computer at the same time.

In the old days we had to reboot into windows, dial into our isp, look poo poo up, print it out or write it down, the boot back into Linux and try it out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Me in high school, dad with a stack of printouts in his hand: "what the hell is a TLDP and why are you using all our paper on it?!"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I used to go to the bookstore just so I could thumb through those giant Linux Bible tomes. My parents thought I was a bookworm but actually I was just trying to figure out why the kernel failed to compile overnight.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

In the old days we had to reboot into windows, dial into our isp, look poo poo up, print it out or write it down, the boot back into Linux and try it out
*flashbacks to having a winmodem that was just barely different enough from the supported ones that I had hope but never any luck*

I first installed Linux in 2000 and finally managed to get online with it in 2003.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I've been asking for a company GitHub or similar code repository as at lot nore things are getting automated now and it's random Powershell scripts dotted across servers to do various things.

Joe told me we don't need the change control of Git as all the servers have VSS enabled!

Lum fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 29, 2021

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lum posted:

Joe told me we don't need the change control of Git as all the servers have VSS enabled!

I'm so confused by this, am I tripping?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like Joe is tripping.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Email comes in "We need to buy these 3 domains with .eth extensions so no one will squat them"

So now I get to buy etherium with my work card? Also I can't look up on how to do this at work, because just about every crypto related site is blocked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there some crypto consulting firm you can do it all through so whoever made that request to you can just go straight to them in future?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there some crypto consulting firm you can do it all through so whoever made that request to you can just go straight to them in future?

I have no idea. This is not the journey I expected to go on this morning. Far as I can tell, this doesn't work like they think it does, and who really cares if someone squats <companyname>.eth.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Can’t you buy eth with PayPal now

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m not saying it’s a good idea, but everyone and their brother is trying to get in on those sweet transaction fees now

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

MF_James posted:

I'm so confused by this, am I tripping?

I think his idea is that if we change script and it breaks, we can roll back using VSS (provided VSS actually works and we don't need to roll back more than 14 days)

I don't know. I honestly couldn't come up with a response to that. It would be like trying to respond to a Ben Shapiro argument where you first have to counteract all the mind numblingly incorrect assumptions before you can even get near to the original statement.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lum posted:

I think his idea is that if we change script and it breaks, we can roll back using VSS (provided VSS actually works and we don't need to roll back more than 14 days)

I don't know. I honestly couldn't come up with a response to that. It would be like trying to respond to a Ben Shapiro argument where you first have to counteract all the mind numblingly incorrect assumptions before you can even get near to the original statement.

It's ... source control. Bad one, ancient, but it's there and is probably better than not having any. I suppose. I haven't touched VSS since 2001, can't be worse than it was back then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Volguus posted:

It's ... source control. Bad one, ancient, but it's there and is probably better than not having any. I suppose. I haven't touched VSS since 2001, can't be worse than it was back then.

I doubt they are talking about Visual Source Safe. They are likely talking about the volume shadow copy service (also called VSS).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I doubt they are talking about Visual Source Safe. They are likely talking about the volume shadow copy service (also called VSS).

This is how I read it

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

I’m not saying it’s a good idea, but everyone and their brother is trying to get in on those sweet transaction fees now

Domain per year: 5 dollars
Transaction fee: 280 dollars.

The gently caress is wrong with these people.

Oh, this is all tied to me as well, so things would be taxed to my account, not the company.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 29, 2021

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Haha ... ok, I suppose that's a thing. Probably nobody in their right mind would use Visual Source Safe nowadays. Though I have my doubts this VSS is better than the other VSS for version control.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Volguus posted:

Haha ... ok, I suppose that's a thing. Probably nobody in their right mind would use Visual Source Safe nowadays. Though I have my doubts this VSS is better than the other VSS for version control.

My last job....

They also use VB6 sooo

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I was talking about volume shadow copy service, yes.

I forgot Visual SourceSafe was a thing, probably one of my many buried traumas, given I used to have to use it back in 2010

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Back when I worked at the agency, one of our biggest clients (an interbank network!) was using Visual SourceSafe until at least 2015. It was loving awful.

I left at the end of 2014, and thankfully have no idea what they’re using now.

Probably Visual SourceSafe.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bob Morales posted:

My last job....

They also use VB6 sooo

Did the vb6 project use visual FoxPro? :haw:

My first job out of college had the vb6-VSS-foxpro trifecta. At one point I complained about it and a coworker produced a book for MS Clipper and said "count your blessings." That was, uh, a long time ago but not THAT long. I wonder how many companies out there are running critical resources in DosBox on a server. There's no way it's zero.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did the vb6 project use visual FoxPro? :haw:

No, home-grown 'ERP' system, lots of MS Access

They were experts and used MySQL to store all the datas

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
"Hey Dept head, can you please get some MS Business Voice Virtual User licences, they're free"
"I'll have to discuss this with finance even though they're free, come talk to me about it tomorrow"

loving really. I've been sitting with my thumb up my rear end for two months waiting for things to happen to make a start on MS VOIP, and basically implemented the bulk of it in an afternoon. It's quite likely I'll have quit and left the business by the time I get to port some numbers.

I'm so tired of this small-minded mindset of not wanting to relinquish control over anything, yes I'll need License Admin AzureAD permissions to make things work, yes I'm going to need User Admin if I'm going to have any hope of uplifting us to Business Premium/AzureP1. Why bother hiring an IT admin if you're not going to give the tools needed, it literally would've been cheaper to hire an MSP.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

. I wonder how many companies out there are running critical resources in DosBox on a server. There's no way it's zero.

I know of a car dealership running a custom crm built on a dos version of dataease, and a tax prep office that does their in house accounting on a dos version of cougar mountain.

I know this because I supported them at my old msp job, both systems were alive and well as of 5 years ago when I left.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I once worked for a company that had some ancient livestock feed calculator that was developed in house in the 1980s. The veterinary professor who helped with it was long dead and the programmer retired at least 15 years. They kept that thing running in DosBox and it worked pretty well! They didnt try to do to much with it though aside from calculating nutritional info for cows and pigs and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Bob Morales posted:

No, home-grown 'ERP' system, lots of MS Access

They were experts and used MySQL to store all the datas

My rear end in a top hat audibly clenched when I read this. How slow is the application? I bet ACCDB versus MySQL makes no difference. :allears: