Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bell jar posted:

omicron goodrem on the other hand,

early 90's ravers were indeed often not great at naming children. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/TimWilsonMP/status/1465051380821889025

????

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Omicron Van Badham

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure you can bring in a printed copy

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I still use a printed copy. Also I work mostly with elderly folks and literally nobody has had an issue with this.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

bowmore posted:

Pretty sure you can bring in a printed copy

I've also never seen a QR code that didn't have "or ask the staff for their sign in sheet" printed underneath it

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Katter doesn't have a printer, they remind him of crocs.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

My brother's ex ran the campaign for Katter's senate guy in ... Canberra? I think that's what the South Easternmost electorate in Canberra is called, they mixed it up a couple years ago

She was a terrible guy, had the cover of the Giving Tree tattooed on her arm but robbed my brother and tried to ransom back his stuff. My man I don't think the Giving Tree is super special to you

The candidate went on to beef it in the sex party, because Katter became kinda untenable and he wanted a minor party that he could clown about in. He didn't crush it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 29, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

My brother's ex ran the campaign for Katter's senate guy in ... Canberra? I think that's what the South West electorate in Canberra is called, they mixed it up a couple years ago

She was a terrible guy, had the cover of the Giving Tree tattooed on her arm but robbed my brother and tried to ransom back his stuff. My man I don't think the Giving Tree is super special to you

The candidate went on to beef it in the sex party, because Katter became kinda untenable and he wanted a minor party that he could clown about in. He didn't crush it

so your saying she's... single now?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Beats me, this was like five years ago. Hound it up and you might meet a lady with a Shel Silverstein illustration on her who'll set fire to your suits and send you the footage

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

albanese worse than expected

quote:

Labor leader Anthony Albanese backed the goal but said he wanted to see how the plan would avoid people shutting down accounts in Australia and opening new ones through internet providers overseas.

“People shouldn’t be able to hide behind anonymous Twitter accounts online and engage in inappropriate activity,” he said.

bonus lol:

quote:

While almost half of all adults say tech services and products play a big part in their lives, 64 per cent said they were nervous about the collection and use of their personal data

Asked if anonymous social media accounts should be made illegal, 40 per cent strongly agreed and 30 per cent agreed, producing a clear majority in favour. Another 20 per cent were undecided while 9 per cent disagreed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

say whatever you want on social media. you get a suspension (good) or banned (great) so who gives a gently caress.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cancel culture isn't real and people use their real names to harass anyway because they expect no consequences

https://twitter.com/sallyrugg/status/1465403516931829762?s=20

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
This is entirely about the political class insulating themselves from anyone ever saying anything negative to them. Twitter recreated the "scream abuse at a politician on the street" from the old days and these thin skinned assholes demand restitution whenever anyone says anything mean to them, yet hide behind parliamentary priviledge to say whatever the gently caress they want.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Yeah I was gonna say this is a straight up bill for people with enough money to sue people to the poor house

Triple J was actually railing on about this yesterday, if someone straight up says they are going to drive to your house and murder you the cops will do literally nothing at all

slorb
May 14, 2002
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-30/nsw-covid-19-omicron-update-new-case-discovered/100661108

Looks like Omicron is now in the community in NSW because they waited too long to shut the border.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

"I wish I found it more surprsing" says the PM on sexual harrassment in parliament. What the gently caress is he trying to say? That he was already well aware of how bad it is and has done gently caress all?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sierra Madre posted:

The kind of people who post heinous poo poo under their real names on Facebook aren't likely the kind of people to be sued for defo by a Liberal MP, but point taken, that was phrased incorrectly. I think the part about how companies who own those platforms have to reveal the identity of accounts the court wants them to reveal does suggest that tech companies will now need to take on greater responsibility if they operate here - so while not exactly responsible for what people post, they would now be responsible for knowing who they really are. That has some serious implications for online safety.

I think it's part of a wider project to completely connect who you are in real life and on the internet - no escaping the real world and the "real you" under aliases or new identities or fursonas. Similar to how all those Metaverse presentations show people being turned into Xbox Live avatars of their boring real selves, you'll have to present yourself as who it says you are on official documentation.

I know people who think the bill is a great idea because they feel that it's important to protect kids (they've seen the very real stats linking social media to increased youth suicide, and so they immediately agree with any politician who brings it up), but they don't realise that some of those people that might be, to some extent, contributing to suicides are also legally children and that their identities still need to be protected. They are attached to the idea that 'bad people' are only adult males in basements with nothing going on in life, because that's the stereotype of an online abuser (the same one that Morrison has been relying on).

They haven't considered or accepted that their own kids, regardless of gender, can also call a woman a filthy oval office, send her dirty pictures, or make death threats, and that they do it just as easily and frequently as anyone else (or more). So the proper question to ask supporters of the bill might be 'do you want companies like facebook to know the real name and identity of your child, and have their online actions connected to their real name forever, so that they can be requested by the government in the event that they ever commit any online crimes?'

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 30, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

slorb posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-30/nsw-covid-19-omicron-update-new-case-discovered/100661108

Looks like Omicron is now in the community in NSW because they waited too long to shut the border.

quote:

Target at Westfield Parramatta (10:45am to 11am)
H&M at Westfield Parramatta (11am to 11:15am)
Athlete's Foot at Westfield Parramatta (11:15am to 11:30am)
JD Sports at Westfield Parramatta (11:15am to 12pm)
Rebel Sports at Westfield Parramatta (12pm to 12:45pm)

Lol okay, you can just say "it's all over Western Sydney by now" news article.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Someone drove their car up onto the curb in Collingwood to hit a testing site nurse. They got found and arrested after, nurse in hospital.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This social media stuff is so disingenuous when you consider how much time people like Morrisom spent arguing that people should get thicker skins when it came to things like ads against marriage equality.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Someone drove their car up onto the curb in Collingwood to hit a testing site nurse. They got found and arrested after, nurse in hospital.

Can’t wait for Morrison to explain how people are frustrated and this is Dan Andrews fault

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

"I wish I found it more surprsing" says the PM on sexual harrassment in parliament. What the gently caress is he trying to say? That he was already well aware of how bad it is and has done gently caress all?

Probably the best attempt at sympathy he could offer.

Completely agree that he has the platform to raise the standard, but he’s only as good as the company he keeps.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Amoeba102 posted:

theres a strict no PMs allowed rule in the sexual harassment room

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

woofbro posted:

Probably the best attempt at sympathy he could offer.

Completely agree that he has the platform to raise the standard, but he’s only as good as the company he keeps.

Pell apologists and rapists?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Jesus that's loving grim. I wish there were consequences for the politicians who stoke this kind of poo poo.

Instead there's only consequences for people who call Peter Dutton a oval office.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Can't wait for this Labor/Greens coalition (??????)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Amoeba102 posted:

What he is trying to say is "Ahh, this filthy heathen godless world is so full of sin that of course there is fornication and wantonness right under my nose. This wouldn't happen in a more Christian environment." and "Is it any wonder that y'all are sexually harrassing each other? What with your womenfolk allowed to roam free and unchained away from their kitchens?"

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Cancel culture isn't real and people use their real names to harass anyway because they expect no consequences

https://twitter.com/sallyrugg/status/1465403516931829762?s=20

Well, yeah. A ministerial staffer took a barely conscious woman into one of the most secure buildings in the country, signing in with his real name, and allegedly raped her.

This law doesn't protect the masses from anything.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

The review is a brutal read. A few of the many shocking anecdotes:

* One participant described an incident they were aware of in which a parliamentarian who, being completely naked when a worker walked into their office, addressed the worker ‘as if nothing was untoward’'

* Several participants highlighted the risks posed by FIFO work where workers are forced, often due to lack of budget or hotel room availability, to share accommodation with colleagues. Alcohol was seen to compound this risk:
"I shared a room with this guy … and he spent the whole night getting me drunk … and then just laid on this whole thing about how he had an open relationship with his wife, and basically do I want to have sex with him? So this is my manager. I’m young, in Canberra, drunk now, trying to shut my door … and I lay there the entire night, completely petrified that I would pass out, and he would be there."

* One participant told the Commission that, after being sexually harassed by a parliamentarian, they were provided with the following response when they tried to report the behaviour:
"His reply was that it was part of my job to get along with MPs and staff from all sides of politics, so that we could get things done in the chamber, and that this kind of thing was part and parcel of ‘getting along’. The implication was that this was not only to be tolerated by me, but actively sought out and encouraged, and that I should do whatever it takes to grease the wheel for future negotiations and the good of the party."

* Review Survey data indicates that parliamentarians were the most common single perpetrator of sexual harassment

And then immediately afterwards, parliamentary culture was on full display in the Senate with some elected Liberal fuckwit making dog noises while Jacqui Lambie spoke.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Its all just loving disgusting.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://twitter.com/josiegirl62/status/1465522992503427073?s=20

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

drat what a zinger

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Saw a ute festooned with Australian flags, KILL THE BILL/SACK DAN/MEDICAL RIGHTS etc today, and was completely nonplussed to see that in the wild for the first time. Then as it pulled into a car park a passerby gave it the finger which made me feel better and reminded me that 9 out of 10 people are actually normal and not hosed in the head.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/kurtruslfanclub/status/1465604376798511105

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I honestly believe that if someone could capture a full on 80s Aussie politics vibe they would clean up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

Then as it pulled into a car park a passerby gave it the finger which made me feel better and reminded me that 9 out of 10 people are actually normal and not hosed in the head.

Awww there are still good people in this world. :3:

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Sit down boofhead for thread title imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Lockdown boofhead