Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

zedprime posted:

You mean earth is not shaped like a titty?

It’s shaped like two titties, back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dross posted:

JavaScript is fine. Any language can be used poorly. All you have to do to avoid type coercion is … not do it.

It has objects but no classes. It has objects, but no classes! This is not fine! This is the opposite of fine!

Yes hello I have a piece of fruit here. Is it an apple? A banana? Nobody goddamn knows.

I have a machine that I call my "car", which I can drive, but if I try to open the boot I fall through it into a black hole.

E: it's like those guys whose job it is to climb those ridiculously high telecommunications towers to do maintenance, or chemists working with compounds that are actively trying to kill them. It's not a job I could do, but somebody has to do it, so if it's something you can handle and it's your job then more power to you. I'd go stark raving mad.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Nov 26, 2021

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
3d characters are animated by pairing a model to a skeleton of joints and manipulating it with controls. The control at the hips/lower spine is always called the cog and it's taken me almost a decade animating to realize that it's because it's the Center Of Gravity.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Hyperlynx posted:

It has objects but no classes. It has objects, but no classes! This is not fine! This is the opposite of fine!

Yes hello I have a piece of fruit here. Is it an apple? A banana? Nobody goddamn knows.

I have a machine that I call my "car", which I can drive, but if I try to open the boot I fall through it into a black hole.

E: it's like those guys whose job it is to climb those ridiculously high telecommunications towers to do maintenance, or chemists working with compounds that are actively trying to kill them. It's not a job I could do, but somebody has to do it, so if it's something you can handle and it's your job then more power to you. I'd go stark raving mad.

Okay the car boot part made me laugh. I come from a more functional programming mindset as opposed to OO, so passing around objects with methods isn’t something I do. I do use javascript’s “classes” but only to declare shapes of input/output datatypes with only static values.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dross posted:

Okay the car boot part made me laugh. I come from a more functional programming mindset as opposed to OO, so passing around objects with methods isn’t something I do. I do use javascript’s “classes” but only to declare shapes of input/output datatypes with only static values.

Cool! Functional programming languages melt my brain. We did Lisp for a bit back at uni and I might as well have been trying to draw the floor plan of an Escher house.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I only knew Jerry Orbach from Law & Order so I was very surprised to learn about his literal decades of Broadway experience.

(yes in retrospect actors don't spontaneously generate in their sixties or whatever, they usually have "prior experience" and all that but I was like three when he started on :doink: so he was Lennie Brisco for literally my entire childhood)

Anyway he was Billy Flynn in the original run of Chicago and its blowing my mind.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
R. Lee Ermey and Dennis Farina didn't start acting until their mid thirties, and both got into it from being technical consultants first. Neither of them really had a breakout performance until they were in their forties.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Jerry Orbach was the candlestick Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Billy Flynn in Chicago

I GoogledTM it because I had no idea what the part was like, and apparently everyone and their dog has played Billy Flynn in Chicago. I guess it's a popular play.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Sydney Greenstreet was 62 years old, diabetic, and 300lbs when he debuted in The Maltese Falcon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Sydney Greenstreet was 62 years old, diabetic, and 300lbs when he debuted in The Maltese Falcon.

That was just his film debut. He'd been diabetic and 300lbs (whatever that is) on stage for years.

e: 136kg? Today he would wear an American XL.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Nov 28, 2021

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That was just his film debut. He'd been diabetic and 300lbs (whatever that is) on stage for years.

e: 136kg? Today he would wear an American XL.
Yeah whatevs there charles de gout

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

charles de gout

pro tier username

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I GoogledTM it because I had no idea what the part was like, and apparently everyone and their dog has played Billy Flynn in Chicago. I guess it's a popular play.

It's the second longest running Broadway show, between Phantom of the Opera and the Lion King. So it's pretty popular.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/farfromallover/status/1464546634835054594?s=20

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I forgot what a hideous character design monsieur Jetson was.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tree Bucket posted:

I forgot what a hideous character design monsieur Jetson was.

Post your picture

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Milo and POTUS posted:

Post your picture

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The French word for valve is "soupape"

soup ape

I know it's not pronounced that way and I do not care

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The chorus of Judas Priest's "Grinder" goes:

"Grinder! Looking for meat
Grinder! Wants you to eat"

I just realised he means "wants to eat you", and not "wants that you should eat a meal (of meat the grinder has ground up for you?)"

also lol
Grindr: Looking For Meat

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

also lol
Grindr: Looking For Meat

Is Rob Halford some kind of time-travelling homo-God ? Rhetorical question, obviously yes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I knew Robert Redford played the Sundance Kid and that he founded Sundance but somehow I did not connect the two until I watched the movie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grinder is a common term for a sub in New England, so I'll take Rob Halford at his word and conclude that the man just wanted a sandwich.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why are there so many conflicting terms for sub?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why are there so many conflicting terms for sub?

You expect one to become dominant?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Grinder is a common term for a sub in New England, so I'll take Rob Halford at his word and conclude that the man just wanted a sandwich.

But he's from Old England, though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What is old is new again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thus of old: Thus of old vs. Thus of now
Thus of now: Thus of old, thus also of now!
:psyduck:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I only found out earlier this week, from a Simpsons-themed podcast, that The Beatles wrote and performed that God-awful Birthday song.

You know the one I mean...they always play it on, say, a Clear Channel/iHeartRadio radio station when the "DJ" is listing off what celebrities have birthdays that day.

If you think you don't know it...you do...

They say it's your birthday
Well, it's my birthday too, yeah
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you

I had always assumed it was some random, cheapo no-name in-studio band that performed it for the sheer purpose of radio and TV having a cheaper "birthday song" so they could avoid paying royalties for "Happy Birthday."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Beatles wrote like 700 songs, a lot of them good, and also a lot of stinkers.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The White Album definitely has some of their best and worst songs on it. Should never have been a double album

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Failed Imagineer posted:

The White Album definitely has some of their best and worst songs on it. Should never have been a double album

Yeah I was gonna say exactly that, when you sort it out it could basically be one album that's in their top two or three, and a second album that's mostly garbage they shat out.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I only found out earlier this week, from a Simpsons-themed podcast, that The Beatles wrote and performed that God-awful Birthday song.

You know the one I mean...they always play it on, say, a Clear Channel/iHeartRadio radio station when the "DJ" is listing off what celebrities have birthdays that day.

If you think you don't know it...you do...

Well, it's my birthday too, yeah
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you

I had always assumed it was some random, cheapo no-name in-studio band that performed it for the sheer purpose of radio and TV having a cheaper "birthday song" so they could avoid paying royalties for "Happy Birthday."

My dad is a huge Beetles fan and would play that for everybody's birthday. I like that song. :( Good memories.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Paul just wanted to see if he was big enough to write the new birthday song and have it replace the traditional one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Turns out they were bigger than Jesus but not bigger than Happy Birthday.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Paul just wanted to see if he was big enough to write the new birthday song and have it replace the traditional one.

That might have worked if the lyrics didn't sound like, made up as they went along. As if a room full of people went around each adding a line to a non-birthday song.

"Today... is your birthday!"
"It's my birthday... too!"
"We're uh, gonna have a good time, yeah!"
"I'm GLAD it's your birthday!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the smiths birthday song is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Brawnfire posted:

That might have worked if the lyrics didn't sound like, made up as they went along. As if a room full of people went around each adding a line to a non-birthday song.

"Today... is your birthday!"
"It's my birthday... too!"
"We're uh, gonna have a good time, yeah!"
"I'm GLAD it's your birthday!"

Yeah, it's not actually one of the songs I super hate, but it definitely feels like a jam session they just went with. It certainly feels like it belongs on one of the outtake collections instead of an actual album though.