Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Their "vaccine diplomacy" has a terrible track record. Not only have they overpromised and failed to deliver in numerous situations (throwing their trading partners' vaccination campaigns in disarray), they have also done things like purposefully withhold deliveries in order to achieve unrelated goals. For example, last year they allegedly pressured the Turkish government to ratify a treaty that would allow the extradition of their Uyghur population. The Erdogan government denied the allegations, but that's probably because Uyghurs are Muslim-Turkic and his voter base strongly sympathizes with their plight. Regardless, Turkey ended up toning down its criticism of China's treatment of Uyghurs in order to make sure the vaccines keep coming (and since then managed to acquire 30 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine).

do you have any more recent articles on this than april a lot of the content in these is speculative and its not clear how many of these bad things actually happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/adrianzenz/status/1465409699575042050

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1465466251996635136

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/li_ding1/status/1463971901999484930

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

do you have any more recent articles on this than april a lot of the content in these is speculative and its not clear how many of these bad things actually happened

Given that two people posted the same thing word for word I'm going to assume its a jingoist sinophobe that posted it first and its being pasted

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

My favorite is how the CIA has literally admitted to doing this and the press never ever mentions it because the program has expanded to keep all of them in thrall of Langley and the Pentagon forever.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Not only that, but as of 2017 the Chinese branch of McDonalds is majority owned by the state.
:bisonyes:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Not only that, but as of 2017 the Chinese branch of McDonalds is majority owned by the state. So much for liberalizing China with burgers.

the ultimate version of franchising; state franchising.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr Hootington posted:

Their "vaccine diplomacy" has a terrible track record. Not only have they overpromised and failed to deliver in numerous situations (throwing their trading partners' vaccination campaigns in disarray), they have also done things like purposefully withhold deliveries in order to achieve unrelated goals. For example, last year they allegedly pressured the Turkish government to ratify a treaty that would allow the extradition of their Uyghur population. The Erdogan government denied the allegations, but that's probably because Uyghurs are Muslim-Turkic and his voter base strongly sympathizes with their plight. Regardless, Turkey ended up toning down its criticism of China's treatment of Uyghurs in order to make sure the vaccines keep coming (and since then managed to acquire 30 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine).

sorry bud I already copy pasted it, you can't trick us!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

you can't just copy Catpetter's bit in another thread!

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Racist piece of poo poo laowhy86 desecrated a grave on camera, delisted the youtube video when Daniel Dumbrill called him out, then reuploaded it with a very weak excuse. This guy and SerpentZA are infamous for spreading Sinophobia then hiding behind a "I love the people, I just oppose the government" excuse.

Be warned, I have unembedded the twitter link because the video shows sociopathic ghoul behavior. He plays with human bones and brags about how cool it will be for his vlog while his Chinese companion is crying and begging him to stop.
https://twitter.com/Mango_Press_/status/1464665975794585605?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Racist piece of poo poo laowhy86 desecrated a grave on camera, delisted the youtube video when Daniel Dumbrill called him out, then reuploaded it with a very weak excuse. This guy and SerpentZA are infamous for spreading Sinophobia then hiding behind a "I love the people, I just oppose the government" excuse.

Be warned, I have unembedded the twitter link because the video shows sociopathic ghoul behavior. He plays with human bones and brags about how cool it will be for his vlog while his Chinese companion is crying and begging him to stop.

that is sick

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 09:07 on Nov 30, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

jesus christ

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Influencers.
Not even once.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

https://https:

shockingly, the gbs china thread loves the guy

Despera posted:

serpentza and laowhy86 DESTROYED BY some guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ykiXF1tqg

thanks r/sino

Despera posted:

Not going to lie, living 10 years in china, learning chinese, marrying into china, and having chinese children is a good cover for being racist against china

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stringent posted:

Imo, you should post the grave-digging vid in the GBS thread and see how they react.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Paladinus posted:

Imo, you should post the grave-digging vid in the GBS thread and see how they react.

toym

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Paladinus posted:

They're not gonna react how you think. Stringent is not really being too honest (he picked out a few posts, but when those two have come up before in the past couple years its been mostly "I don't know them too much" or "yeah they're racist.")

Seriously, I have been saying gently caress those two for a while now (especially Winston, though honestly for a while I thought laowhy86 was just insanely, incredibly dumb. Winston is the one who can't help but show how he's a racist and also really sexist, every time he opens up his mouth about South Africa something backwards comes out, but no, yeah laowhy86 is definitely insanely dumb, but that's not his only problem.) I've brought that up a lot whenever he comes up in the GBS thread, because gently caress them, and it's not like I've gotten pushback. Maybe from a few people who are gone now, because they couldn't help but be racist either.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BrainDance posted:

They're not gonna react how you think. Stringent is not really being too honest (he picked out a few posts, but when those two have come up before in the past couple years its been mostly "I don't know them too much" or "yeah they're racist.")

Seriously, I have been saying gently caress those two for a while now (especially Winston, though honestly for a while I thought laowhy86 was just insanely, incredibly dumb. Winston is the one who can't help but show how he's a racist and also really sexist, every time he opens up his mouth about South Africa something backwards comes out, but no, yeah laowhy86 is definitely insanely dumb, but that's not his only problem.) I've brought that up a lot whenever he comes up in the GBS thread, because gently caress them, and it's not like I've gotten pushback. Maybe from a few people who are gone now, because they couldn't help but be racist either.

lol you post in the gbs china thread

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

fart simpson posted:

lol you post in the gbs china thread

yeah sometimes, I post in all the china threads

Im not gonna say its a good thread, its not, its really, really bad. But its not like some "theyre so sick and twisted they just loving love racist guy!!" like come on lol thats stupid

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

BrainDance posted:

yeah sometimes, I post in all the china threads

Im not gonna say its a good thread, its not, its really, really bad. But its not like some "theyre so sick and twisted they just loving love racist guy!!" like come on lol thats stupid

I also post there, and the gbs thread has really become quite relaxed since a couple of strident guys left.
Different atmosphere, different topics, but not so bad.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i wouldn't call them sick and twisted so much as ignorant and racist

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wealth, power, and fame: famously not arbitrary

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300466992/solomon-islands-requests-support-from-nz--troops-assembling-at-linton

the solomons government has asked for nz military support

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Laowhy" sounds like "laway", which means saliva or drool in Filipino

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Laowhy" sounds like "laway", which means saliva or drool in Filipino

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hey Gradenko, Bongo Man quit the presidential campaign just as I and many other have predicted. Do you think Duterte secretly negotiated a fat kickback on his people side stepping for little Marcos?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Stringent posted:

wow that thread is awful

I did enjoy this post approvingly quoting a very prescient article about how China is fundamentally not equipped to deal with coronavirus effectively

quote:

This NYTimes article talks about the dysfunction between the Chinese central and local governments, and how it makes it difficult for the government to respond to national crises like the corona virus outbreak. The last part about how democracies vs authoritarian governments align with public good is not so great, but the rest of the article is a pretty good read.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/01/25/world/asia/coronavirus-crisis-china-response.html

a blast from the past

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
im appreciate statista and their courage of still hosting their old CNO fusion cycle covid takes

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

XMNN posted:

dysfunction between the central and local governments, and how it makes it difficult for the government to respond to national crises like the corona virus outbreak

drat wonder what that would be like

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Atopian posted:

I also post there, and the gbs thread has really become quite relaxed since a couple of strident guys left.
Different atmosphere, different topics, but not so bad.

yeah i went and checked it out and it mostly seems to be about white guys' chances of getting laid in east asia, so definitely an improvement

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

drinking a big frosty mug of bloody stool and saying yeah this is bad it's really bad but it's not as bad as you think and then continuing to drink the turds until the mug is empty

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

NZ has a military?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
gbs guys should be probed on sight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hey Gradenko, Bongo Man quit the presidential campaign just as I and many other have predicted. Do you think Duterte secretly negotiated a fat kickback on his people side stepping for little Marcos?

it was either because Bong Go was such a tepid candidate that he would get an embarassingly low percentage of votes (i.e. loyalty to Duterte doesn't transfer to his right-hand man), or Duterte horse-traded Go's candidacy for some kind of backroom deal with Marcos

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It does seem pretty odd that Duterte wouldn’t have any sort of horse at all in the race considering that he still has considerable public support.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

It does seem pretty odd that Duterte wouldn’t have any sort of horse at all in the race considering that he still has considerable public support.

he can't run for President anymore because of term limits. he *is* running for Senator, which he'll probably win handily

poo poo, if he wanted to violate the constitution and run for President anyway I doubt anyone would have stopped him

he'd probably also win as VP, but I assume he didn't because that position doesn't do anything, and even a Senator has more power/influence

they were probably testing the waters if people were willing to vote for Go with him as a backer, but the reaction was rather tepid and has been washed-out by Marcos

and Marcos is right-wing enough to really do have that kind of cross-over effect with his base, but he's a powerful enough politician all his own that I wouldn't really say he's Duterte's "horse in the race"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, it still doesn’t really frame considering his daughter was still polling well and there isn’t a particular reason to give up even if he can’t be president. Something is up one way or another.

Also, Marcos comes from a different political base, so I doubt he would be consider a successor.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this guy sucks!

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1465501510226391042

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

maybe he could try keeping his mouth shut and sticking to basketball?