Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The Lenovo Legion T5 with the RTX 3070 and Ryzen 5800 I bought comes with 32GB of Ram at 3200mhz. I've been doing a bit of research online and apparently the RAM is CL 22. Apparently this is a JEDEC spec? The OP recommends avoiding anything higher than CL 16. Should I be looking for a replacement?

I also did a bit of sleuthing online and apparently RAM only becomes an issue at higher framerates? I'm going to be gaming at 1440p 60FPS, if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

The Lenovo Legion T5 with the RTX 3070 and Ryzen 5800 I bought comes with 32GB of Ram at 3200mhz. I've been doing a bit of research online and apparently the RAM is CL 22. Apparently this is a JEDEC spec? The OP recommends avoiding anything higher than CL 16. Should I be looking for a replacement?

I also did a bit of sleuthing online and apparently RAM only becomes an issue at higher framerates? I'm going to be gaming at 1440p 60FPS, if that makes a difference.

I would leave it in place right now and only address it if you find a deficiency.

Frankly for most of those prebuilts cooling is significantly more of an issue, and where you should put extra cash.

You can also try OCing those ram sticks if your board supports it to get some tighter timings.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

loving Christ, this morning has been a nightmare. I spent the last 2 days building my new i7-12700k, Gigabyte z690 Auros Elite AX DDR4. The Corsair 4000X that I picked up from Best Buy on Friday was a great call! It's been a pleasure to work inside.

not sure when you bought but 12700k is 350 at MC right now if you can price match might be worth a look

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
What's a good website to benchmark GPU's and vs them against each other? I used to use Game-Debate, but I dunno if they changed their layout or what.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

What's a good website to benchmark GPU's and vs them against each other? I used to use Game-Debate, but I dunno if they changed their layout or what.

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu-benchmark-comparison

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Corsair 4000D does look good (buildwise and the aesthetics), and it's evidently popular because the airflow version has been going in and out of stock ever since the BF $80 deals (this used to be MSRP btw). But after a few days of using the Lancool 2 Mesh, I know I'd miss having a second front USB-A port.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Any comparison site based on user data is trash. Just hit up some recent GPU reviews by a few reputable reviewers to get a gauge on relative performance of all the cards. They typically include benchmark charts that have all the recent GPUs in them. Toms Hardware, Tech Spot(/Hardware Unboxed, same reviews), GamersNexus, Guru3D, TechPowerUp, etc... TomsHardware and TechPowerUp also have some GPU performance rankings (TomsHardware's GPU Hierarchy and TechPowerUp's GPU database). I look at these if I just want a quick comparative estimate, though looking at benchmarks for the games you play is always better. TechPowerUp's GPU database is super useful as a general information repository too.

Rinkles posted:

The Corsair 4000D does look good (buildwise and the aesthetics), and it's evidently popular because the airflow version has been going in and out of stock ever since the BF $80 deals (this used to be MSRP btw). But after a few days of using the Lancool 2 Mesh, I know I'd miss having a second front USB-A port.

The 4000D is an excellent mid-budget case, but the Lancool 2 Mesh is in another product tier. Comes with more/better fans, has more features, slightly better build quality, and better airflow characteristics. There's a reason it usually costs $40 - $50 more.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 30, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Any comparison site based on user data is trash. Just hit up some recent GPU reviews by a few reputable reviewers to get a gauge on relative performance of all the cards. They typically include benchmark charts that have all the recent GPUs in them.

At least compared to my benchmarks the last few days, those numbers look out of whack. Case in point, I can't get a solid 60 in AssCreed Origins whatever the settings. This is what the site has for my setup at high:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zodack posted:

BestBuy flash sale just hit and they've got a 3070 prebuilt up $300 off at $1599. What's the catch? I've got a ton of best buy gift card money (like $750) just sitting around. I'm traveling and not at a spot where I can do a lot of searching on it atm

It's got an i7 and a 1TB SSD, too

E: was able to google some reviews between helping balance a Christmas tree. Oof, cooling

How much will I regret buying this if I can afford and am just glad to get a 3070 in the deal

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The catch is that Asus' prebuilts come in an absolutely loving terrible case. It ships with just a single fan, a 92mm exhaust fan, with limited options for adding extras. Your components will get very hot and throttle themselves. You can potentially gut the PC and do a case swap, though. Add $150 to the cost for a new case and like a Fuma 2 or something to cool the CPU, and that's the final cost.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

btw if you win shuffle there's a cyber monday code, 10% off i believe

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

btw if you win shuffle there's a cyber monday code, 10% off i believe

i didn't bother today because they only had bundles for the low tier cards

S.J. posted:

How much will I regret buying this if I can afford and am just glad to get a 3070 in the deal

Do you literally just want the 3070? I think an HP Omen should come out cheaper (with promo code HOLIDAY10), but that comes with its own issues (can't upgrade with your own RAM, and HP's is ridiculously overpriced).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Do you literally just want the 3070? I think an HP Omen should come out cheaper (with promo code HOLIDAY10), but that comes with its own issues (can't upgrade with your own RAM, and HP's is ridiculously overpriced).

I'm going to end up having to buy everything regardless from scratch, I won't be able to salvage anything from my current PC. So if I can just play with that one for a little bit and grab a new case/cooling in a month or so that's just fine with me. I have no problem gutting the thing and moving everything over, and I can afford this today, at least.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That Asus prebuilt is a much better deal than the Omen one. You can actually use the other parts in the Asus. There's nothing on the order of the Omen's proprietary bullshit.

The cost of putting together an 11700K system minus the GPU is around $800. Plus a $15 windows key from Lodge North in SA-Mart. The cost of the prebuilt, plus a 4000D+extra fan, or P400A digital, and a decent CPU cooler, are around $1750 altogether. You can consider the remaining $935 the cost of the GPU. That's a lot for a 3070 (almost double the initial msrp), but not scalper-levels ($1100 - $1200). Whether it's worth it, eh... Desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose. You have to get lucky if you want a cheaper one.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That Asus prebuilt is a much better deal than the Omen one. You can actually use the other parts in the Asus. There's nothing on the order of the Omen's proprietary bullshit.

The cost of putting together an 11700K system minus the GPU is around $800. Plus a $15 windows key from Lodge North in SA-Mart. The cost of the prebuilt, plus a 4000D+extra fan, or P400A digital, and a decent CPU cooler, are around $1750 altogether. You can consider the remaining $935 the cost of the GPU. That's a lot for a 3070 (almost double the initial msrp), but not scalper-levels ($1100 - $1200). Whether it's worth it, eh... Desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose. You have to get lucky if you want a cheaper one.

Yeah agree the asus is significantly better here, even if it’s not great.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah I went ahead and grabbed it. I can't imagine myself finding much of a better deal atm unless I get way luckier than I have been in the past, so. Next step upgrading the case, and then I'll get around to buying some new monitors whenever I can afford them. I'm in no rush thankfully.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NZXT has a similarly specced prebuilt here for around the same price (10% off at checkout)

https://nzxt.com/product/streaming-pc

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

doomrider7 posted:

Watch youtube videos comparing the two cards you're interested in playing actual games, tons of those vids exist

My own query: are Xeon processors actually good for gaming? Like, this listing seems too good to be true (assuming it boots): https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/d/new-york-dell-precision-3430-pc/7414217045.html

Flipping the quadro card alone for like $100 would make up for most of the cost

change my name fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 30, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Watch youtube videos comparing the two cards you're interested in playing actual games, tons of those vids exist

An actual query: are Xeon processors actually good for gaming? Like, this listing seems too good to be true (assuming it boots): https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/d/new-york-dell-precision-3430-pc/7414217045.html

Flipping the quadro card alone for like $100 would make up for most of the cost

Generally not, no. Especially cause that Xeon could be 10 years old.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If anyone is buying stuff of Newegg there's an absurd coupon code where if you pay for something with one of those weird 0% interest consumer installment loans from a company I've never heard of called "Zip", you get 15% off the order up to $100 off. I used it to knock $100 of a 12700k and motherboard. The coupon code is BFCMPAY4

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

If anyone is buying stuff of Newegg there's an absurd coupon code where if you pay for something with one of those weird 0% interest consumer installment loans from a company I've never heard of called "Zip", you get 15% off the order up to $100 off. I used it to knock $100 of a 12700k and motherboard. The coupon code is BFCMPAY4

Thanks for this, just grabbed a 12700k as well -- ends up about $360 before tax with the discount, and you can just immediately pay off the installment people.

Now I've got a graphics card and a processor, just need everything else

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 30, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Generally not, no. Especially cause that Xeon could be 10 years old.

Oh well. I looked it up and the one in here is 8th gen, for whatever it's worth.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

eke out posted:

Thanks for this, just grabbed a 12700k as well -- ends up about $360 before tax with the discount, and you can just immediately pay off the installment people.

Now I've got a graphics card and a processor, just need everything else

Couldn't you have bought a motherboard at the same time and applied the code for both of them? Or does it not work that way?

edit: I just checked, and yeah it works. Be sure to have everything you want in the cart when checking out because it applies to everything.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 30, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Couldn't you have bought a motherboard at the same time and applied the code for both of them? Or does it not work that way?

it works on packaged combo items but not on two separate ones. But all the ddr4 motherboard packages I could find were sold out and I know very little about this, so I just grabbed the processor

At least I couldn't get it to work on separate items. Anyways, I got like 2/3 of the total available savings if nothing else lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

eke out posted:

it works on packaged combo items but not on two separate ones. But all the ddr4 motherboard packages I could find were sold out and I know very little about this, so I just grabbed the processor

I just tried the promo code on a 12700K and a motherboard (Asus TUF Z690) which were not in a combo, and it showed me a full $100 discount, so I dunno dude.

It was kind of weird at first because I applied it to the 12700K by itself before adding the motherboard—it didn't want to apply to the motherboard as well after that. So I deleted the cart, readded everything, and then added the code while both items were in there. It applied to everything then.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 30, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I just tried the promo code on a 12700K and a motherboard (Asus TUF Z690) which were not in a combo, and it showed me a full $100 discount, so I dunno dude.

I guess Newegg just didn't like whatever one I tried. Anyways I'm glad I found a reasonably priced cpu, could be worse.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Reminder 12700k is 300 at MC but idk if it’s only today

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Entropy238 posted:

I hate to bug you about this, but as a fellow Lenovo T5 owner, I'm interested in a) what kind of CPU cooler your system comes with, and b) if you can confirm that the CPU fan actually speeds up when you put a load on your CPU running benchmarks, etc. As far as I can tell (using HWINFO, AIDA64, etc.) the CPU fan on my T5 doesn't ever come off idle, basically. It could be the monitoring software not reading the speed correctly, but I can't hear or see any difference either. I'm not convinced that the BIOS fan curve/programming is working.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When I was playing around with the installment loan code it seemed to only applied the coupon to things that were in your cart at the time you entered the code, and if you then added something else it wouldn't apply the code to it. But you could enter the code again and it would apply it to the new stuff.

Also, for eke out, if you want to get a motherboard too when I used the code I then decided I wanted a different motherboard and after I canceled the first order it let me use the code for a new order where I swapped in the new motherboard.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 30, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyberpower-branded 11600KF/RTX 3060 prebuilt for $1280: https://www.newegg.com/cyberpowerpc-gxi1280v4-gamer-xtreme/p/N82E16883230643?quicklink=true

This definitely needs a CPU cooler replacement, but you can get away with spending just $30 on one. Total cost of equivalent parts on pc parts picker including a CPU cooler and 1TB of storage instead of 500GB, and a windows key = $650 or so. So for $660 more you get a prebuilt with a 3060 (when accounting for the cost of a new CPU cooler). Still not great, but better than average, considering most prebuilts I see at this price point have a 10400 or something. That case is kinda yikes, but with a decent CPU cooler it probably won't be a problem.

In looking up those parts, I've discovered that the 11600KF is down to $220 at B&H Photo. Pretty decent price for a midrange CPU tbh. I would've expected AMD to drop the 5600X in price more to stay competitive, but I guess that's not necessary considering they're still on top:

edit:
$1400 3060 PC with a 5600X. Pros: Somewhat better CPU, though it won't make a difference with a 3060. A case with better airflow characteristics. Not much else. Cons: $120 more than the cyberpower one. Still a bad cpu cooler that you'll want to replace. Meh.
$1500 3060 Ti PC with an 11400F. Pros: The 3060 Ti is way better than the 3060. 1TB SSD. A CPU cooler worth a drat. Cons: Bad airflow, though it may not matter. DDR4-3000. Worse CPU than the others, though the 11400 may not bottleneck the 3060 Ti at 1440p (but I could see it happening with some games at 1080p). $220 is a lot to pay for a GPU upgrade, even if it is a lot better, especially since the CPU is downgraded in the process. Meh (out of stock). Another $1500 PC with almost the same specs, but with that okay-looking MSI case and a smaller SSD. Still meh.
$1400 3060 Ti with an 11700F: Pros: Pretty okay CPU. Only "480" GB SSD, but they at least add in a TB of HDD space. $1400 is a somewhat acceptable price for a 3060 Ti system. Cons: Shitass airflow. Bad CPU cooler. 11700F is not an unlocked K SKU, and it's rated as a 65W TDP part (though I think you can still lift the power limits so it's probably gonna still be okay in practice). Will probably get the worst B560M motherboard possible. Only 480GB SSD. DDR4-3000. iBuyPower sucks. Buuut... It's a $1400 3060 Ti PC. Beggars can't be choosers. With a CPU cooler replacement, it could be okay. The cost of a decent 11700KF PC plus a decent cooler and a $15 windows key, minus the GPU, is $815. If you're replacing the prebuilt's cooler with a new one, then that makes a $645 dollar difference, which can be considered the cost of the GPU. For a 3060 ti...? Some of those go for that much on the newegg shuffle (though there are some for $500 too), so that's close to worth it. The difference between the 11700F and 11700KF is very small in gaming from what I'm seeing in random youtube videos.

edit 2: the newegg ones suddenly became better once I realized that you can get $100 off with that coupon code posted above. Though my thoughts on their relative value remain the same even though the last one doesn't get the discount. The CyberpowerPC and iBuyPower prebuilts are the least bad deals, though the ABS 3060 Ti machine is competitive now at $1400. edit 3: I guess this coupon expired. oh well.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 30, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Man, getting buyer's remorse here. Just want to reliably connect to the internet when I turn the machine on. I thought I fixed this but web pages won't load.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nexus6 posted:

Man, getting buyer's remorse here. Just want to reliably connect to the internet when I turn the machine on. I thought I fixed this but web pages won't load.

I have seen so many reports of driver issues with intel wifi/ethernet when trying to troubleshoot my own problems. maybe i shouldn't have bothered paying more for a mobo with onboard wifi.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Also, I know this may not be the best thread for this, but I thought getting a 3080 might allow for better video quality then this

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nexus6 posted:

Turned on new PC this morning and ethernet stopped working completely. For anyone having similar issues these helped me

ASUS ROG b-550f btw

Forgot to respond to this, but my Gigabyte B550 board is known to have a similar problem with throttling back the ethernet speeds from 2.5 gig to 1, and just not working at all sometimes. Have you tried shutting down, unplugging your PC, and pressing the power button to fully drain it for like 10-15 seconds? That fixed my Intel wifi/bluetooth issues.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

So I finally got lucky and got a graphics card from best buy at msrp after trying forever and I picked up an i7-12700k. I'm trying to figure out the rest of this build based on suggestions from earlier in this thread/reddit/pcpartspicker.

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $700-$1000 for everything else (graphics card and CPU already purchased)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p/60hz at the moment, may upgrade within reason once I have this built

Here's what I've landed on to start with, but I'm really not attached to anything other than the GPU/CPU:

If it's worth spending more for a different motherboard/lower-latency RAM/a better case/different cooling, I'm willing to do it, but I especially wanted to double-check I'm not making some obvious mistake or buying something incompatible that pcpartspicker didn't flag or something. I think at the moment the only weirdness is I need to grab a specific mounting kit for the cooling on the 12th gen intel CPU?

Appreciate y'alls help.

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 30, 2021

Yhag
Dec 23, 2006

I'm dying you idiot!
So a couple of the parts I ordered arrived today.

Hurray!

I already filed a complaint with the delivery service (pointless I know) and I emailed the store about returning things. What are the odds of these things being damaged (I assume the odds are pretty high the motherboard is damaged, those are the imprints of the wifi antenna connectors in the box)?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

change my name posted:

Forgot to respond to this, but my Gigabyte B550 board is known to have a similar problem with throttling back the ethernet speeds from 2.5 gig to 1, and just not working at all sometimes. Have you tried shutting down, unplugging your PC, and pressing the power button to fully drain it for like 10-15 seconds? That fixed my Intel wifi/bluetooth issues.

I had to do that and while it worked on Sunday I booted the PC up today and it wouldn't work until I changed the DNS. Now dreading turning it on again.

A few days it had WiFi but now that doesn't work at all.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Rinkles posted:

maybe i shouldn't have bothered paying more for a mobo with onboard wifi.

I only slightly regret getting onboard wifi (why not free up a PCI-E slot and save on a wifi-card), as it turns out the wifi in my room is loving garbage, and rarely stays connected. The Bluetooth capabilities it came with has made it worthwhile though. Being able to pair my computer with the smart speaker has been surprisingly easy and useful. I'd imagine it'll simplify transferring files from my phone, or even pairing with some headphones too.

I dug up an old powerline adapter, and holy poo poo the difference is night-and-day. If this is a possible solution for anyone, I highly recommend it.

vvv edit: Ah jeeze. I'm in a detached house with a relatively new wiring, and presumably nothing else plugged in that introduces significant noise. Didn't know that it made that big a difference. vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 30, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm currently using a powerline adapter because the ethernet port works (it's realtek), but it's so much slower than wifi on any other device here. But powerline adapter speeds can depend on a hundred different things. Even just changing outlets in my room gave me nearly a 50% boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Either the Bluetooth on my motherboard or my Xbox one controller sucks because it keeps disconnecting. Falling back to a more reliable wired controller.