Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

dr_rat posted:

So did the slightest bit of looking into this, as... yeah, that seems suss as hell.

Some other things to factor in:

-This is being held in SDNY, the feds go to district for corrupt or political trials. With the number of locations Maxwell is accused of committing crimes in, it's not strange at all that the trial ends up in the most easily controlled and infested district.
-James Comey's daughter is one of the prosecutors(small world, right?). Now, I haven't heard of any direct involvement by James Comey, but I'm going to guess that the head of the FBI knew about the high society sex trafficking club that 100% of his friends belonged to.

This trial is likely designed to reveal just enough evidence to the jury to give a guilty verdict without having to implicate any important people. Maxwell will then disappear into the prison system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

The Human Crouton posted:

Some other things to factor in:

-This is being held in SDNY, the feds go to district for corrupt or political trials. With the number of locations Maxwell is accused of committing crimes in, it's not strange at all that the trial ends up in the most easily controlled and infested district.
-James Comey's daughter is one of the prosecutors(small world, right?). Now, I haven't heard of any direct involvement by James Comey, but I'm going to guess that the head of the FBI knew about the high society sex trafficking club that 100% of his friends belonged to.

This trial is likely designed to reveal just enough evidence to the jury to give a guilty verdict without having to implicate any important people. Maxwell will then disappear into the prison system.

Do these things never have whistleblowers that could reveal the things that implicate the important people?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

EXCUSE ME

this mask is finely handcrafted and made from the freshest lizard skin. It ain't nothing you can buy at Spirit peon!

Awww. I wish I could afford that. :(

My station in life, all I can afford to do is just put a smidge of honey on my face in hopes enough lizards will crawl onto it to make a mask.I mostly just get those bees and butterflies alas. Beautiful in it's on way, sure. But nope, none of rich peoples type, masks that, fit and don't scutter or flutter away once the honeys all gone... :smith:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This may be a controversial opinion but I think Ghislaine Maxwell is bad.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

A Strange Aeon posted:

Do these things never have whistleblowers that could reveal the things that implicate the important people?

The incestuous nature of everything makes it pretty difficult to find a whistleblower who would not gently caress over their own future or family by doing so. There's a reason that every powerful person's kids also find themselves in positions of power; and it's not because the governor/senator's seed is so pure that 100% of their offspring are hyper-functioning polymath geniuses.

But even if they wanted to expose anything, they have to cross the hurdle of being believed or even if people would care.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

This may be a controversial opinion but I think Ghislaine Maxwell is bad.

I will take a counter argument and say she is not good... or neutral.

gently caress you truth is in the middle, centrists.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Once all this mess clears out she'll surely be on track to be the new POTUS.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Colonel Cancer posted:

Once all this mess clears out she'll surely be on track to be the new POTUS.

If the she in this sentence isn't Dolly Parton then I don't even want to know.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

CocoaNuts posted:

Always entangled, this bastard...

DONALD TRUMP triggered a family fallout between Ghislaine Maxwell and her "abusive" father, media tycoon Robert Maxwell, according to an investigative journalist... she is the youngest daughter of late media tycoon, Robert Maxwell, and was once a socialite who had connections within the highest levels of society.

Her father set her up with a “corporate gift business” at one point, and almost put her in contact with the then business magnate Mr Trump in the Eighties.

In the newly released true crime podcast, ‘Power: The Maxwells’, investigative journalist Tara Palmeri looked into how Mr Trump's name ended up causing a huge row between Mr Maxwell and his favourite daughter.

Mr Maxwell’s former secretary Carol Bragoli told her: “Maxwell would expect everyone he knew in business to buy them [the corporate gifts] off her, so she didn’t have to go out and sell it. She just had to say whose daughter she was and they sold themselves, I suspect.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1384471/donald-trump-news-ghislaine-maxwell-trial-robert-maxwell-jeffrey-epstein-row-spt

lol "media tycoon" Robert Maxwell

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dr_rat posted:

Yeah there is a reason I said "seems" shady as hell. This is a huge international case with connections -very possibly incriminating- incredibly powerful and influential people. I think it's likely she was always going to be selected due to just being a very good candidate, but yeah just look at Epstein first conviction with the Non-prosecution agreement. Not saying that happened here, but the optics of it all are awful.

And the hell, I was the one trying to bring in more information here and say there was another side that should be considered!

Hey dumbass, the court is not closed to the public. You can go to manhattan yourself and, if you got in line early enough in the morning, sit in the court room and write down everything she says. It'll probably be a long line since I'm sure every news outlet is sending a reporter. You just don't get fresh transcripts provided by the court.

If Ghislane takes the stand and says "I got underage girls to have sex with Prince Albert, Donald Trump, President Biden, and the King of the Reptoids" then the only way that They will be able to silence it is by preventing all the reporters packing the courtroom. I'm not sure how They will manage that, maybe mind-control with the vaccine nanochips?

Cameras & video/audio recording are not allowed, but that's the same as in every federal court.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Danger posted:

lol "media tycoon" Robert Maxwell

You missed the best part

quote:

Ms Bragoli remembered overhearing a phone conversation between the two where they both “meowed” at one another for close to a minute.

You've never just meowed at your dad for a solid minute before? I feel bad for u...

oh and also the reason itself:

quote:

Ms Maxwell had phoned her father to set up a meeting with Mr Trump, in the hope of selling him some corporate gifts as they were friends.

Ms Palmeri claimed the media tycoon rudely replied: “Have you got your bum in your head? Why the f*** would Donald Trump want to waste his time seeing you with your crappy gifts when he has a multi-million dollar business to run?”

another Dad of the Year example in there as well

quote:

Mr Maxwell would quiz his children on what they learned at school, and once pushed Ms Maxwell to tears when she could not define “theocracy”.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Klyith posted:

Hey dumbass, the court is not closed to the public. You can go to manhattan yourself and, if you got in line early enough in the morning, sit in the court room and write down everything she says. It'll probably be a long line since I'm sure every news outlet is sending a reporter. You just don't get fresh transcripts provided by the court.

If Ghislane takes the stand and says "I got underage girls to have sex with Prince Albert, Donald Trump, President Biden, and the King of the Reptoids" then the only way that They will be able to silence it is by preventing all the reporters packing the courtroom. I'm not sure how They will manage that, maybe mind-control with the vaccine nanochips?

Cameras & video/audio recording are not allowed, but that's the same as in every federal court.

Hell they even let Brace & Liz in

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i just want the case to officially reveal whether that famous reddit account was really hers

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

shame on an IGA posted:

Hell they even let Brace & Liz in

Who else is going to make sure everyone understands that. Ghislaine is NOT jewish?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Klyith posted:

So my personal opinion if she is guilty or not doesn't actually matter. I also think I can personal have an opinion that she is guilty and there is not enough profit warranted for her to be convicted. I'm very much on the high side of evidence needing to convict.

Also that wasn't even anything like I was talking about? Like the hell. Again, I was the one bring up that there was other reasons why she was getting that role.

Also mind-control nanochips? haha, the gently caress? Nan, rich and influential people using you know money and influences to try and sway a verdict is... you know has just been a pretty well recorded and not that controversial -as in the acknowledgment that it exists, not that it does exists- thing, in the US and like ...pretty much every country/government/whatever, through out history.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dr_rat posted:

Also that wasn't even anything like I was talking about? Like the hell. Again, I was the one bring up that there was other reasons why she was getting that role.

Also mind-control nanochips? haha, the gently caress? Nan, rich and influential people using you know money and influences to try and sway a verdict is... you know has just been a pretty well recorded and not that controversial -as in the acknowledgment that it exists, not that it does exists- thing, in the US and like ...pretty much every country/government/whatever, through out history.

Your chain of reasoning is judge blocks transcripts -> look for the first random info about judge you can find -> decide this is "suss" because of a preconceived suspicion that things must be connected. That's exactly the logical path Q people do.

Here's a good non-conspiracy reason that a judge would decide to continue a current trial despite being nominated (and very likely to get) a new position: the courts are backlogged as gently caress at the moment. Covid delayed tons of trials, caused a bunch of mistrials when jurors got exposed or sick, and generally hosed the whole judicial system. A judge could have good motives -- remember the right to a speedy trial? -- to continue the trial once started rather than have it move to another judge, which would be a reset in progress.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Klyith posted:

Your chain of reasoning is judge blocks transcripts -> look for the first random info about judge you can find -> decide this is "suss" because of a preconceived suspicion that things must be connected. That's exactly the logical path Q people do.

Here's a good non-conspiracy reason that a judge would decide to continue a current trial despite being nominated (and very likely to get) a new position: the courts are backlogged as gently caress at the moment. Covid delayed tons of trials, caused a bunch of mistrials when jurors got exposed or sick, and generally hosed the whole judicial system. A judge could have good motives -- remember the right to a speedy trial? -- to continue the trial once started rather than have it move to another judge, which would be a reset in progress.

Why are you looking at this from only the judge's perspective rather than the perspective that an outside force offered the judge a promotion right before this very high-profile trial?

You are purposely redirecting the light from one of the most suspicious parts of this trial onto a less suspicious parts of this trial. Where this really fails is that the less suspicious piece you've redirected onto is still a pretty suspicious aspect, and the existence of a less suspicious aspect does not remove the existence of a more suspicious aspect.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 30, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Why are you looking at this from only the judge's perspective rather than the perspective that an outside force offered the judge a promotion right before this very high-profile trial?

You are purposely redirecting the light from one of the most suspicious parts of this trial onto a less suspicious parts of this trial. Where this really fails is that the less suspicious piece you've redirected onto is still a pretty suspicious aspect, and the existence of a less suspicious aspect does not remove the existence of a more suspicious aspect.

"A secret backroom deal has been brokered by a high level Jewish politician to save his elitist, cabalist friends from embarrassment and/or criminal penalties"

this is literally how you sound

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

remove the word Jewish and it stops sounding so crazy

edit: i'm not agreeing with the idea that there's some conspiracy with this judge or whatever, i don't know anything about it. i'm just saying that in general it's not crazy to assume that the powerful conspire against the public interest. in this specific case it appears to be tenuous speculation so far :shrug:

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 30, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"A secret backroom deal has been brokered by a high level Jewish politician to save his elitist, cabalist friends from embarrassment and/or criminal penalties"

what? who said anything about anyone being jewish having to do with anything? i read the post like three times and there's nothing about that in there :confused:

this is a case about a sex trafficking ring that involved two former us presidents and a member of the british royal family, i dont think anyone needs to go into q territory or other antisemitic blood libel poo poo to suggest that power protects power

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Earwicker posted:

what? who said anything about anyone being jewish having to do with anything? i read the post like three times and there's nothing about that in there :confused:

this is a case about a sex trafficking ring that involved two former us presidents and a member of the british royal family, i dont think anyone needs to go into q territory or other antisemitic blood libel poo poo to suggest that power protects power

No but I've seen a lot of posts saying Schumer is doing this for that reason and it really reeks of lowkey anti-Semitism

Maybe that's not the intent but it sure sounds that way

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

remove the word Jewish and it stops sounding so crazy

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No but I've seen a lot of posts saying Schumer is doing this for that reason and it really reeks of lowkey anti-Semitism

I'm not buying the conspiracy angle, but this is a reeeeal weird take.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

based on what? i'm jewish myself but i dont see how jewish politicians are any more immune from corruption than any other kind. schumer is motivated to protect his cabal of elitist friends for the same reasons that powerful non-jewish politicians are also motivated to do so. he's suspicious not because he's jewish, but because he's a senator and high ranking member of a corrupt political party

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 30, 2021

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You sound like a fart.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'll remind you that this tale began where a man with a private sex island committed suicide during a 15 minute window where every camera malfunctioned and both guards were sleeping.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The defense's core argument so far seems to be 'they can't get Epstein so they're dogpiling Ghislaine' :laffo:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my only "crime" was loving and supporting an international child sex trafficker for decades, with full knowledge of the crimes and clientele, but other than that i'm innocent i tells ya!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'll remind you that this tale began where a man with a private sex island committed suicide during a 15 minute window where every camera malfunctioned and both guards were sleeping.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Earwicker posted:

based on what? i'm jewish myself but i dont see how jewish politicians are any more immune from corruption than any other kind. schumer is motivated to protect his cabal of elitist friends for the same reasons that powerful non-jewish politicians are also motivated to do so. he's suspicious not because he's jewish, but because he's a senator and high ranking member of a corrupt political party

Exactly.

The problem with people dismissing everything as conspiracy theories is that the natural behavior of an individual protecting their own interest gives the same look as a mass of people working as one unit.

Individuals in power have great risk and unknown in trying to destroy or remove other individuals in power. The result is that any powerful individual is likely to gain on an personal level by keeping others in power who are known for not completely destroying their fellow ruling class; and those most likely to maintain this status quo are more likely to rise to that ruling class.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Icochet posted:

You sound like a fart.

Literally the first time I heard Schumer involved in any of this was the article I posted and quoted from. Like I know their is a whole bunch of bullshit around neo-nazi and associates scum for blaming the Jewish people for, you know literally controlling the world and therefore everything bad in their life (with help from what ever other minority ethnic groups is the most threatening to the status quo at the time, cos of course, as of course that just makes complete sense.) But yeah, rich and powerful people covering up sexual assault for each other. Catholic church, so many big business for decades, literally my own governments parliament right now (https://www.theguardian.com/austral...itical-pressure https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-59472194.

This is the loving world mate. The powerful cover it up. don't matter your background, if you have power, in any sort of way, people are more then willing to do quite a bit to cover this poo poo up.

I just put a quote that mentioned Schumer may be behind it, as I had a quick look to see what was happening with the nomination. As far as I'm concerned, both a poo poo heads. Better than the republicans elected to congress, sure, just.. but yeah that's about as far as I'll go.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 30, 2021

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Seth Pecksniff posted:

You have a defect where you feel rewarded for putting those with a better understanding of the world below you. But this does not change where you are in your life or the reality of the world you live in. You cannot dumb the world down to a version you can better survive in by pretending that those presenting it to you are hyperbolic and stupid.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 30, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You have a defect where you feel rewarded for putting those with a better understanding of the world below you. But this does not change where you are in your life or the reality of the world you live in. You cannot dumb down the world down to a version you can better survive in by pretending that those presenting it to you are hyperbolic and stupid.

This is really the best summation of the mindset of every conspiracy antivax covid denier I've ever heard

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"A secret backroom deal has been brokered by a high level politician to save his friends from embarrassment and/or criminal penalties"

Never in the history of politics has this happened

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

hey anyone ever heard of craig Spence lol. What a story

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smugworth posted:

This is really the best summation of the mindset of every conspiracy antivax covid denier I've ever heard

antivax covid denier conspiracy theories are based on fabricated bullshit

epstein consiracy theories are based on a huge history of publicly available information, photographs etc showing world leaders in close contact with a guy who was running a sex slave island for pedophiles. while it certainly sounds crazy, the evidence is pretty blatant

while they are both technically "conspiracy theories" they are really not equivalent beyond that

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The thing is, a nomination to move a judge from a federal District Court to the Court of Appeals isn't like, some type of sell your soul bribe. A fed judge is already a lifetime appointment. The bump in salary is all of $13k. Appeals judges are more important so it's a mark of respect and all... But it's not even an unusual promotion.

Earwicker posted:

antivax covid denier conspiracy theories are based on fabricated bullshit

epstein consiracy theories are based on a huge history of publicly available information, photographs etc showing world leaders in close contact with a guy who was running a sex slave island for pedophiles. while it certainly sounds crazy, the evidence is pretty blatant

while they are both technically "conspiracy theories" they are really not equivalent beyond that

Epstein running a sex ring for the rich and powerful* is a fact. Some of those rich and powerful engaging in actions to protect him seems super plausible, given the results of his first trial.

Randomly drawing connections to anyone within six degrees of separation from the case for tenuously related events and yelling "they're in on it!" is conspiracy theory.

*and also the not particularly rich and powerful, does a semi-famous MIT professor really count as the super-elite?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Klyith posted:

The thing is, a nomination to move a judge from a federal District Court to the Court of Appeals isn't like, some type of sell your soul bribe. A fed judge is already a lifetime appointment. The bump in salary is all of $13k. Appeals judges are more important so it's a mark of respect and all... But it's not even an unusual promotion.

Sounds like being a regular old Federal judge is just fine. No real reason to move up to a higher position. I feel sorry for appeals judges, honestly.

You are using the mere fact that Federal judges normally become appellate judges to ignore the timing of this specific promotion from Federal judge to appellate judge. I'm sure they absolutely could not have waited until after the trial to dangle a promotion in front of the judge of a high-profile VIP child rape club trial. It had to be done right before the trial. The iron was hot only at that very moment, and must be struck immediately because of.....?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 30, 2021

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Why wouldn't Epstein pass up the opportunity to get blackmail on a semi-famous MIT professor?

Why wouldn’t he not pass up the opportunity to not get blackmail on a poor pleb without aristocratic levels of influence? Pepe Sylvia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

Epstein running a sex ring for the rich and powerful* is a fact. Some of those rich and powerful engaging in actions to protect him seems super plausible, given the results of his first trial.

Randomly drawing connections to anyone within six degrees of separation from the case for tenuously related events and yelling "they're in on it!" is conspiracy theory.

again, there are two former presidents who have been repeatedly photographed with the person who is currently on trial for helping run said sex ring. the actions of a high ranking member of the senate wrt to the judge in the case are not "random", there is an obvious motivation for a powerful and corrupt organization - such as the united states government - to protect its own and a senate majority leader is a key figure within said government.

quote:

*and also the not particularly rich and powerful, does a semi-famous MIT professor really count as the super-elite?

no that would just be the regular elite, but also kind of irrelevant to the issue at hand. there many people implicated in the case, but those who are former heads of state or members of royal families obviously have more means and connections with which to protect themselves