Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress wheres that story about the guy that takes a dump in the private jet and there's very little privacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

gently caress wheres that story about the guy that takes a dump in the private jet and there's very little privacy.

https://johnlefevre.medium.com/the-roadshow-aka-the-worst-private-plane-trip-of-all-time-3eb88ab42b18

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Didn't see this posted yet. Video of the RAF/RN F-35B which crashed:

https://twitter.com/sebh1981/status/1465351592018956295

Speculation says:

quote:

In the aftermath of the mishap, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace, as quoted by BBC’s Defence Correspondent Jonathan Beale, provided some further details, saying that the F-35 ditched soon after taking off from the aircraft carrier and that operational and training flights onboard HMS Queen Elizabeth were continuing despite the incident (a sign that the root cause of the crash was probably immediately known and, importantly, not pointing to a technical glitch/failure).

Indeed, the flying activity was not halted and the F-35Bs, including those of the U.S. Marine Corps and the Italian Air Force and Navy could take part in a joint exercise off the coast of Italy that included cross deck operations.

Dealing with what caused the F-35B crash, the British media outlet The Sun reports that it may have been a “cheap plastic cover” that was left on during take-off.

https://theaviationist.com/2021/11/24/f-35b-crash-cover-possible-cause/amp/

The motion of the aircraft makes more sense then, if he recognized the problem, pulled the power and was standing on the brakes. I'm guessing pitot cover, but it probably has a bunch of those which will now say "Simon says, remove before flight".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Don’t forget pilot tribal knowledge of best bathrooms to poop at in terminals.

Looking at you stand alone family restroom in LAX between terminal 7 and 8.

In your professional opinion does MSP truly have the best bathrooms or did the airport commission lean into the wide stance jokes for so long they forgot why.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

In your professional opinion does MSP truly have the best bathrooms or did the airport commission lean into the wide stance jokes for so long they forgot why.

They’re pretty good op.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

The A and C terminal bathrooms are honestly temples of serenity. Never busy, and so spacious that the area with sinks is kinda separate from the area with stalls and urinals. It's got nice warm-colored and textured tile that doesn't feel like a horror asylum, and across from the sinks there's a blank wall with nothing but a mirror over a little table surface that after I wash my hands I go to adjust my tie knot in the mirror and smile at myself as I daydream for a little bit and recharge myself for the rest of the day. There may even be plants, I'm not sure and my memory may be inventing them, but that's at least the feel.

Propiss++

Also I got a thread title! :dance:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A terminal at MSP has serious CVG or MEM “airport forgotten to time” vibes.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

The worst are ord right? Just horrific.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Patrick Smith tells this tale of the Exploding Toilet on a cargo DC-8: https://askthepilot.com/essaysandstories/the-exploding-toilet/

Patrick Smith posted:

He sighs, nods toward the fizzing, disgorging bowl and says, with a tone of unironic pride: “She’s got quite a head on her, doesn’t she?”

Definitely a classic of the genre

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've never really had a huge issue with people pooping on airlines until I recently flew DFW to LAS after getting screwed into the rear-most seat and opting not to pay $30 to avoid it for a 2:45 flight. It's like all of Dallas decided to hold their beer-shits for that flight, plus I was seated outside of a decent kid, but a 10-year-old downing juice and soda like it was his job, so he was just up and down to piss nonstop. The poor woman in the middle seat should have been making babysitter wages entertaining the kid while his parents were stuck sitting several rows up.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I got to see this routine live at a local airshow this past summer and it was one of the most impressive routines I saw. Aerobatic Baron doing an engine out barrel roll transitioning to a deadstick landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WI_MoOY_mc

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
These non-aerobatic aerobatic airshow acts don't really sit well with me. Even though the airshow pilots obviously know what they're doing wrt. keeping the G's under the lower limits, it encourages people with no business trying it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

vessbot posted:

The A and C terminal bathrooms are honestly temples of serenity. Never busy, and so spacious that the area with sinks is kinda separate from the area with stalls and urinals. It's got nice warm-colored and textured tile that doesn't feel like a horror asylum, and across from the sinks there's a blank wall with nothing but a mirror over a little table surface that after I wash my hands I go to adjust my tie knot in the mirror and smile at myself as I daydream for a little bit and recharge myself for the rest of the day. There may even be plants, I'm not sure and my memory may be inventing them, but that's at least the feel.

Propiss++

Another instance of true beauty in pissing could be found at IAH in the United Club (nee Presidents Club) in C South. Therein lay a urinal mounted so high you could lay your balls on it. Big John was a quality pee and I miss him to this day when transiting IAH.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vessbot posted:

These non-aerobatic aerobatic airshow acts don't really sit well with me. Even though the airshow pilots obviously know what they're doing wrt. keeping the G's under the lower limits, it encourages people with no business trying it.

Eh, I feel like airplane ownership/flying has a high enough barrier to entry that anybody with the ability to try it should Know Better. You'll inevitably get a few idiots here or there, but it's not something a 10 year old with a bike can go out and try to replicate.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Eh, I feel like airplane ownership/flying has a high enough barrier to entry that anybody with the ability to try it should Know Better. You'll inevitably get a few idiots here or there, but it's not something a 10 year old with a bike can go out and try to replicate.

Jerry.txt

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

*in the middle of a 60 degree base turn* That sound you hear is the landing horn. It means we will be landing soon.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cojawfee posted:

*in the middle of a 60 degree base turn* That sound you hear is the landing horn. It means we will be landing on the ground soon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah... you'd think.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I checked back in the thread and haven't told this story.

I once got a call on a warm Summer Friday Afternoon that one of our planes was hard down in Oklahoma. The earliest flight to OKC was Saturday morning, getting in around noonish, OKC time. After arrival and stuff, getting to the aircraft around 1500, just shy of 24 hours after the call.
The gripe? Lav inop. "They were using it and then it stopped flushing."

This is the kind of job where you are flying to a lavatory that is full-to-overflowing and has been sitting in the Oklahoma summer sun for a day. You know that going in, and also that emptying the lav with a shop vac is going to be the easiest and best part of the job, and that everything after is going to be terrible. Because it's a Hawker 800 and getting to the lav bits requires disassembling a baggage compartment that has most of the heavy avionics mounted above it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The last couple of pages has really mellowed the glamour of aviation for me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Don’t do this job for the glamour, there isn’t any. We’re just fancy bus and truck drivers.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

e.pilot posted:

Don’t do this job for the glamour, there isn’t any. We’re just fancy bus and truck drivers.

And the guys that fix the things are just glorified plumbers. The fluid gotta go somewhere, and there are places where that fluid can't ever be. Whether that's air, hydraulics, fuel, oil, coffee, or blue juice.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

The glamour is already mellowed every time that, on top of the FA announcements, the captain has to get on the PA to tell people that really, for absolute real, you need to sit down and you need to wear a mask. I haven't had a major blowup in my handful of post-covid flights, but got closest on my most recent flight when the captain had to reiterate that, twice, then get on the horn to say that there existed no special treatment in the world that exempts someone from mask policy. This seemed to end the low-grade argument going on between an FA and one of the passengers who boarded in mask then unmasked.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

The glamour is already mellowed every time that, on top of the FA announcements, the captain has to get on the PA to tell people that really, for absolute real, you need to sit down and you need to wear a mask. I haven't had a major blowup in my handful of post-covid flights, but got closest on my most recent flight when the captain had to reiterate that, twice, then get on the horn to say that there existed no special treatment in the world that exempts someone from mask policy. This seemed to end the low-grade argument going on between an FA and one of the passengers who boarded in mask then unmasked.
I just want them to deboard assholes who argue with FA's in general. You get one warning. Maybe 2 in-flight.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Ola posted:

Brb let me just get another saucer of free food from the buffet

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

I just want them to deboard assholes who argue with FA's in general. You get one warning. Maybe 2 in-flight.

2 warnings before the duct tape comes out?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

2 warnings before they land asap and bill you for the trouble. Then you get 86'd for a couple years. It's the same poo poo as always, people running their mouths because they think they can, then when comes time to put your money where your mouth is, suddenly all's well except for the 2% of true believers whom you don't want in your org/plane to begin with.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 1, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Z the IVth posted:

No, they said deboard. The duct tape IS the second warning.

Bring back 727s and remove the Cooper vanes, then we just need some straightjacket/parachute combo and getting the rear end in a top hat off the flight no longer requires ruining everyone else's schedule. Drop 'em out the back with a beacon attached and get on with it.

A few shitheads get air dropped in to the hands of waiting FBI agents and this problem would stop really quick.

It's fun to dream about at least....

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wolrah posted:

we can only dream

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wolrah posted:

Bring back 727s and remove the Cooper vanes, then we just need some straightjacket/parachute combo and getting the rear end in a top hat off the flight no longer requires ruining everyone else's schedule. Drop 'em out the back with a beacon attached and get on with it.

A few shitheads get air dropped in to the hands of waiting FBI agents and this problem would stop really quick.

It's fun to dream about at least....

Involuntary SAR training dummies. I like it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

vessbot posted:

that's the real mark of success

now you too can regale all your friends with the time you got a thread title based on chemical toilets and making GBS threads

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mlmp08 posted:

What is so hard about just wearing the drat mask? I don't understand the people who look for any opportunity that allows them to take their mask off and then taunt other people who are still wearing one even though the current situation doesn't necessarily require one. They act like simply having a mask on saps all their strength or something.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Cojawfee posted:

What is so hard about just wearing the drat mask? I don't understand the people who look for any opportunity that allows them to take their mask off and then taunt other people who are still wearing one even though the current situation doesn't necessarily require one. They act like simply having a mask on saps all their strength or something.
I think it has something to do with maintaining their purity of essence

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

Because some fox/newsmax/oan person said that by refusing they can own the libs and that's exactly what they want to do at every opportunity and at any cost. It's brain worms. Brainwashed into thinking the goal is not work together to improve society, its to win through cultural domination at whatever the cost. See also any other wedge issue and weep for the fact that the republic is over and any positivity that has happened/will happen over the next few years is merely a dead cat bounce before our failed state asserts itself in earnest.

Happy Holidays.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cojawfee posted:

It's because they want to do violence against the part of humanity they hate, and this is the level of violence they currently have the balls for

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

It's so much of a self own I laugh every single time it happens on one of my flights, which is probably once per trip. Owning the libs by getting made a fool of in public and not making it to the place I paid money to go to. Hilarious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

AWACS is the one with an actual toilet that only a complete monster would use for #2.

For a mission less than 8 hrs duration, I wholeheartedly agree. By hour 16, there's usually a directive that nobody will do anything but #2 in there because it's filling up. Piss in your gatorade bottle or whatever.

vessbot posted:

There's actually in between cases, like the CRJ lav. Part of the training program was exposure to The Terrible Secret of the Blue Juice, namely that there is not a fresh tank and a waste tank... there's only one tank that recycles through the bowl into itself with every flush, accumulating poo poo and piss as the blue juice turns ever browner, until it's changed out. So yeah, it's in everyone's best interest (but mainly the poor folks in 13 A and B) to save the making GBS threads for the terminal. Do it for them. After all, they took it upon themselves to move there from row 2 after the FA asked for volunteers due to the center of gravity.)

The AWACS shitter is like this, except there's no flushing. It's just a hole into the blue water tank. God help you if the blue monster decides to show his face in-flight.

We went to Nellis for a weekend airshow at the end of summer/autumn (which in southern Nevada is temperatures start dipping down towards double digits). We landed Thursday, and Saturday morning were going to open the jet up as a static display so people could walk through. Except, the ground crew didn't bother to service the lav. So everything that was put in there during that 8 or 10 hour flight just brewed for a day and a half in the Las Vegas heat. The pilot opened the door (the forward door, as far as it gets from the lav at the very tail) and immediately closed it and cancelled the static.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You want to talk about hacked together aircraft,

Time for another shoutout for the Hill Aerospace Museum in Utah, with the literally hacked-together SR-71C.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 2, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Godholio posted:

Time for another shoutout for the Hill Aerospace Museum in Utah, with the literally hacked-together SR-71C.

There is (or was, it's not clear) a "T-38" flying as a warbird that was constructed from the front half of a T-38, and the back half that was chopped off of one of the F-5s that was used to build one of the two X-29s.

To speak nothing of the vast number of other warbirds rebuilt from who knows how many parts sources. The B-17 being rebuilt in Urbana, Ohio is using bits from at least five different individual aircraft.

(Which makes identifying it properly a fun task for serial number obsessives like myself.)

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 2, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

The AWACS shitter is like this, except there's no flushing. It's just a hole into the blue water tank. God help you if the blue monster decides to show his face in-flight.

One of the times I flew on an AWACS, the crew commander, who was professional and nice as could be, simply said the rule for coming on board was that we wouldn't use the shitter unless we were so ill we were getting into an ambulance when we landed. A few of the crew used it to pee (~8 hour mission), but guests were not to use the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

We went to Nellis for a weekend airshow at the end of summer/autumn (which in southern Nevada is temperatures start dipping down towards double digits). We landed Thursday, and Saturday morning were going to open the jet up as a static display so people could walk through. Except, the ground crew didn't bother to service the lav. So everything that was put in there during that 8 or 10 hour flight just brewed for a day and a half in the Las Vegas heat. The pilot opened the door (the forward door, as far as it gets from the lav at the very tail) and immediately closed it and cancelled the static.

I haven’t worked on a DC-10 in 13 years, and I can still smell the airplane-parked-with-a-full-lav-in-the-Miami-sun-for-ten-hours smell. At least we had a cargo door we could open. There’s also “this airplane hauled six air cans worth of pigs into Miami on the redeye and then they parked it in the sun all day for the night shift to deal with.” Its a different stank. You get a nose for it after awhile; What specific foul thing the loadmaster did to your airplane.

Also, our airplanes were freighters,and so they only had the single lav. Our pilots’ union contract said any tail without a functioning lav couldn’t be dispatched for any leg longer than (IIRC) 3 hours. We’d occasionally get a report of a nonfunctional lav or dump valve on the preflight or from the GS contractors postflight, and I’d have to put on the long glove and fish a water bottle out of the dump valve at the bottom of the tank.

Needless to say, this did not endear certain crew members to me or the other line mechanics. To their credit, the union and chief pilot ended up coming down on that practice like a ton of bricks, but it took awhile before the assclowns stopped trying it.