Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The closest idea I have to "off-the-wall" is a Librarian Barbarian. (Half-Orc, the Sage (Librarian) background, and the Path of Wild Magic sub-class). They'd have "LEARN" tattooed on the fingers of their right hand, and "2READ" tattooed on the fingers of their left hand. ( Or probably "LERN" and "READ".)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The closest idea I have to "off-the-wall" is a Librarian Barbarian. (Half-Orc, the Sage (Librarian) background, and the Path of Wild Magic sub-class). They'd have "LEARN" tattooed on the fingers of their right hand, and "2READ" tattooed on the fingers of their left hand.

Named Marian, of course, who is pursued by Harold the Hill Giant Bard of the Gary, Indiana College of Eloquence (gold medal class of '05).

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 30, 2021

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Bogan Krkic posted:

Air Genasi bard who can only play the kazoo, harmonica and vuvuzela

Gotta point out that bagpipes are an option here

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTFKjJaV15I

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The lesson from tonight's adventure: Swarmkeeper Ranger has no size limit on the forced movement and even the biggest guy can flub a strength save. Landed a lucky hit and my faeries dragged a roper into a nearby fast-moving river (fortunately and coincidentally when it had just dropped everyone due to a teammate's efforts). Turned "how are we going to get out of this" into "...do we go after it? If it survived how fast can it get back to us? Do we have time to rest?"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has anyone read the Eberron: Rising from the Last War 5E sourcebook? Does it do a good job of introducing the setting compared to the books from other editions?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Has anyone read the Eberron: Rising from the Last War 5E sourcebook? Does it do a good job of introducing the setting compared to the books from other editions?

It's unquestionably a worse tool than the 3.5 or 4e books.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Air Genasi bard who can only play the kazoo, harmonica and vuvuzela

I'm thoroughly disappointed that air guitar was left off this list.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mango sentinel posted:

why?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

I'm thoroughly disappointed that air guitar was left off this list.

Base Emitter posted:

Gotta point out that bagpipes are an option here

i hang my head in shame for neglecting these, and also the recorder

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

mango sentinel posted:

That’s a hard disagree from me. Regardless of edition, Rising from the Last War is the one I would pick if I had to choose between the three of them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

It only Khorvaire. It's overall less evocative in its placesetting and writing than the other two and as a consequence, less hook-y. The older books are so much better for a DM planning a campaign just because they're a bigger wealth of information with more dangly bits on the ends. As far as the crunchier bits: The execution of Dragonmarks are awful. If you're going to play artificer or Eberron races, and don't have Tasha's, then you're buying this anyways. I don't think it's a bad book, I'm just disappointed in it, but part of that may be feeling burned at the Wayfinder's Guide.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Baker released an additional book with more information than he was able/allowed to put into the offical 5e book

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/315887/Exploring-Eberron

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the replies. I never knew Baker put out the additional book.

I have the sourcebook from 3.5, I was thinking of picking it up in the sale, and hoping it’d be a good intro for people not familiar with the setting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Finally suited up and I’m rolling with a neither-undead-nor-alive Reborn cleric of Life in the Western Heartlands. Why an apparently Ravenloft-related character race would show up on Faerun was not deeply considered all we know is that a cursed artifact sucked his mind out so he died and woke up with a new one ten years later. Search and rescue corpse on duty.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Narsham posted:

Off-the-wall concepts, eh?

Court Flatulist

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The closest idea I have to "off-the-wall" is a Librarian Barbarian. (Half-Orc, the Sage (Librarian) background, and the Path of Wild Magic sub-class). They'd have "LEARN" tattooed on the fingers of their right hand, and "2READ" tattooed on the fingers of their left hand.

Can you tell me where I can find a book on Astronomy?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Now I want a bard who casts spells by farting. Grants inspiration by farting. Their enemies must never learn that lactose intolerance is the source of their power.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

Devorum posted:

"Well, I can make you see stars - does that count?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if real pixies are offended when they see a swarmkeeper ranger with the "playful pixies" swarm?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if real pixies are offended when they see a swarmkeeper ranger with the "playful pixies" swarm?

Ask your GM

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Now I want a bard who casts spells by farting. Grants inspiration by farting. Their enemies must never learn that lactose intolerance is the source of their power.

Hieronymus Bosch Butt-trumpet Tiefling Bard

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

depends on the pixie i guess. making stereotypes??

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pog boyfriend posted:

depends on the pixie i guess. making stereotypes??

The swarm is generic 'nature spirits' that take on the appearance of a swarm of creatures like fluttering birds, crawling insects, or playful pixies. The fake pixies have the same degree of sapience as the fake insects or fake birds. They aren't people, they can't talk. They might also modify their appearance and behavior based on the desires of the ranger they are bonded to, leading to some deviantart-rear end tiddy pixies.

Stern pixie matriarch: "We're a culture, not a costume, and this is not okay."

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If your swarm isn't made of ethereal raccoons then you're playing wrong

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's up with the DMsGuild books? They really look like official books and seem to use different properties from D&D (i.e. Mordenkainen, Fizban, Eberron).

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Do they have six fingers on each hand, or do people just see "LEAR READ"?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Narsham posted:

Gnomish Fighter/Cavalier who believes himself to be his mount's familiar (his mount is obviously a Pact of the Chain Warlock and it's weird people can't see that).

I'm building a kobold drakewarden who worships his drake companion as a dragon god.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What's up with the DMsGuild books? They really look like official books and seem to use different properties from D&D (i.e. Mordenkainen, Fizban, Eberron).

They're written by people outside of WotC but the DM's Guild has a special license where they can use D&D creative properties and trade dress. The quality can range from very good to trash.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

They're written by people outside of WotC but the DM's Guild has a special license where they can use D&D creative properties and trade dress. The quality can range from very good to trash.

Open question of any good books I should keep an eye out for/ avoid?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I enjoyed Heroes of Baldur's Gate and Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy. They're both written by one of the designers of the original BG games. The first is a decent adventure in and around the city with a lot of callbacks to the games and some cool dungeons plus a pretty detailed city sourcebook. The second is more about building campaigns in the southern Sword Coast and Amn regions also with a lot of callbacks to the games and some good setting details.

I would have enjoyed The Border Kingdoms a lot more if it had more than one small map. But it is full of what Ed Greenwood does best: ground level details about a made up place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We've been playing this campaign with a rules variant and I'm curious people's thoughts on it. Instead of a flat proficiency bonus you roll a die of value twice the flat number (so a d4 for starting +2, a d6 instead of +3 at 5th level, and so on). Numerically it's a slight bonus of half a point, in play it's... well in theory it adds more randomness and tries to blunt the edge of "I can calculate the odds so easily that I feel robbed when I'm unlucky on a "sure thing"". In practice I'm not sure. I haven't noticed anything *bad* from it, but I haven't noticed anything good either, it just feels like a non-factor.

If we weren't playing on Roll20 with a character sheet that (mostly) handles all that itself, I'd be more annoyed with the hassle.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Thanks for the replies. I never knew Baker put out the additional book.

I have the sourcebook from 3.5, I was thinking of picking it up in the sale, and hoping it’d be a good intro for people not familiar with the setting.

I still like the 4e player book since it leaves off info and plants some false rumors in players, but the 5e book is fine if people don't like digital or you think they would get confused looking at older version supplements.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

They tattooed their thumbs. Then realized it wouldn't work when they made a fist, and don't want to talk about it anymore. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Devorum posted:

For research purposes or more casual? Oh, a word of caution: If you mark your place by dog-earing any pages, I will fold you.

PeterWeller posted:

The original thought was to go with "LERN" and "READ", but then I considered using the side of the thumbs. If the latter isn't that practical, probably go with the former.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The Monster Manual Expanded series is probably one of the single most useful series of products on there. The three entries contain variants and rescaled versions of existing monsters that both allow DMs to throw individual monster types at a wider level range and make combat encounters more interesting by including new variants of existing monsters with new tactical options.

The Uncaged anthologies are pretty solid collections of short adventures, each typically themed around specific female monsters

Benjamin Huffman's work tends to be pretty solid. He's done a bunch of new classes like The Pugilist as well as the Complete Arcanist, Martialist and Devout Handbooks which offer new subclass options. He also released The Book of uncommon Ancestry Which offers some interesting new race options.

Warlock Homebrew has similarly put out some interesting class and race options, including the moth-like Lera, Fairies and variant Tabaxi.

The discourse about race options and ability score bonuses also inspired some interesting homebrew products to address it, the two I found most interesting were An Elf and an Orc Had a Little Baby, which provides options for making PCs with options from two different races and Grazilaxx's Guide to Ancestry, which converts the existing races into a pseudo-point buy system where you can select from a list of individual racial abilities to give your PC.

M.T. Black is also pretty widely regarded on the platform for releasing consistently solid adventures.

100 Monster Hunts is a pretty solid collection of mini-adventures

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

KingKalamari posted:

The Monster Manual Expanded series is probably one of the single most useful series of products on there. The three entries contain variants and rescaled versions of existing monsters that both allow DMs to throw individual monster types at a wider level range and make combat encounters more interesting by including new variants of existing monsters with new tactical options.

The Uncaged anthologies are pretty solid collections of short adventures, each typically themed around specific female monsters

Benjamin Huffman's work tends to be pretty solid. He's done a bunch of new classes like The Pugilist as well as the Complete Arcanist, Martialist and Devout Handbooks which offer new subclass options. He also released The Book of uncommon Ancestry Which offers some interesting new race options.

Warlock Homebrew has similarly put out some interesting class and race options, including the moth-like Lera, Fairies and variant Tabaxi.

The discourse about race options and ability score bonuses also inspired some interesting homebrew products to address it, the two I found most interesting were An Elf and an Orc Had a Little Baby, which provides options for making PCs with options from two different races and Grazilaxx's Guide to Ancestry, which converts the existing races into a pseudo-point buy system where you can select from a list of individual racial abilities to give your PC.

M.T. Black is also pretty widely regarded on the platform for releasing consistently solid adventures.

100 Monster Hunts is a pretty solid collection of mini-adventures
Thank you for the write up!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bruceski posted:

We've been playing this campaign with a rules variant and I'm curious people's thoughts on it. Instead of a flat proficiency bonus you roll a die of value twice the flat number (so a d4 for starting +2, a d6 instead of +3 at 5th level, and so on). Numerically it's a slight bonus of half a point, in play it's... well in theory it adds more randomness and tries to blunt the edge of "I can calculate the odds so easily that I feel robbed when I'm unlucky on a "sure thing"". In practice I'm not sure. I haven't noticed anything *bad* from it, but I haven't noticed anything good either, it just feels like a non-factor.

If we weren't playing on Roll20 with a character sheet that (mostly) handles all that itself, I'd be more annoyed with the hassle.

Always struck me as weird how swingy skill checks are even when you have proficiency with d20s. Like, a DC 10 is supposed to be "easy", but a level 1-4 character with 14 in a stat and relevant proficiency is only A. 20 percent more likely to succeed than an average untrained person and B. 25% likely to fail in any case (because a roll of 1-5 is a failure when youre adding +4). So, a person with training and with significant natural ability can't be expected to reliably succeed at an easy task.

From what I understand you are trying to blunt the disappointment of failure by making the bonus from being trained less predictable and therefore lower peoples expectations, but to me, it retains the core problem that a trained and talented person is not reliably competent

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 30, 2021

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Mr. Lobe posted:

Always struck me as weird how swingy skill checks are even when you have proficiency with d20s. Like, a DC 10 is supposed to be "easy", but a level 1-4 character with 14 in a stat and relevant proficiency is only A. 20 percent more likely to succeed than an average untrained person and B. 25% likely to fail in any case (because a roll of 1-5 is a failure when youre adding +4). So, a person with training and with significant natural ability can't be expected to reliably succeed at an easy task.

From what I understand you are trying to blunt the disappointment of failure by making the bonus from being trained less predictable and therefore lower peoples expectations, but to me, it retains the core problem that a trained and talented person is not reliably competent

IMO that's why you don't even bother having people that are proficient/skilled in something roll the check in the first place. let them have it for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Glans Dillzig posted:

IMO that's why you don't even bother having people that are proficient/skilled in something roll the check in the first place. let them have it for free
How skilled is skilled enough to not have to roll, though? +3? +7? Does it depend on the difficulty of the task? Does someone with proficiency have to roll for anything, ever? If so, how do you decide what kind of tasks they have to roll for and which they don’t?

The whole point of numbers and dice is to avoid forcing the GM to make judgement calls like this; saying “just don’t make them roll if the results would probably be ridiculous” seems tempting, but then you’re just making the GM adjudicate every roll for “ridiculousness.” It’s like fixing a car by telling the owner to just walk to work instead.