Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gorilla Radio posted:

What's the opinion on Tales of Arise? Where's it rank to the other Tales of games?

It's the first once since Phantasia I've actually finished, despite playing.. Destiny, Eternia, Tempest, Hearts, Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Xilia 2 and Berseria. I liked it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Pwnstar posted:

Sam, this is Bad Postman. While you've been travelling around America connecting everyone to the Chiral Network, I've been making bad posts on message boards. Also did you know Sam? That the word Postman used to mean a kind of Porter like yourself? Sometimes I accept delivery orders and then just keep the packages for myself. I don't have MULE Syndrome, I'm just a Bad Postman.

I heard this in Deadman's voice and I imagined you posting it using the weird hologram manipulation hand gestures he does. It's been ages since I thought much about that stupid game but I still remember a lot of it vividly. I happen to love Kojima's brand of lunacy though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ciaphas posted:

folks were talking about divinity: original sin 2 earlier. i have that, but never got close to even considering leaving Fort Joy either - whole lot of choice paralysis from all the options presenting themselves almost immediately, not even counting chargen

been long enough that i've mostly forgotten what the game even looks like, so seems as good a time as any to give it another go

Install a workshop mod that gives you free out of combat resurrections on every character, imo.

Last time I played I also used some total-conversion mod that a friend recommended that changed how armor worked, it was ok but I didn't get far enough for it to really fix the combats where someone has 100,000 physical armor and 0 magic armor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

that could be a good thread, post a screenshot of your library and goons tell you which one to play next, maybe :toxx: to play at least two hours.

this sort of works sometimes: I look at how many installed but unplayed games I have and roll a d(game count) to get a number at random. only works if i really want to play something though.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Physical shield and magic shield in D:OS2 frustrated me. Balanced damage party = mediocre single-target damage output, focused damage party = unbeatable trap fights. I couldn't figure out a good rounded party that was viable for every required encounter, there was always one that was designed to gently caress over whatever type of party I built. Or I go 50/50 and every fight is terrible because I can't kill anything fast I gotta spread my damage out.

Also CC was useless with mobs being immune until you got their shields down. Having to burn down a bunch of a mobs HP before you can CC it defeats the purpose of CC. Oh you can make it rain, then shock the puddle to put a bunch of mobs out for a turn that sounds cool lol jk gently caress you it's never gonna work and your guy is useless.

Maybe there's some code I didn't crack. I managed to beat it but the whole game felt bad and a lot of the fights were just finding some way to cheese it. I know some people think that's the point but goddamn why can't they just balance it right.

I liked D:OS1 a lot better, which was disappointing because D:OS2 was a way better game overall but these couple of sticking points ruined it for me.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 30, 2021

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

HopperUK posted:

I love his nonsense but I get why people don't.

It's not the nonsense that's the problem for me, it's the overexplaining of the nonsense. I would like to see a game where Kojima just creates the world and and someone else writes the plot. But who knows, maybe that would lose the spark.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GhostDog posted:

It's not the nonsense that's the problem for me, it's the overexplaining of the nonsense. I would like to see a game where Kojima just creates the world and and someone else writes the plot. But who knows, maybe that would lose the spark.

You just described every metal gear game up to subsistence.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pleads posted:

Install a workshop mod that gives you free out of combat resurrections on every character, imo.

Not a bad idea. I'll add myself to the list of "enjoyed it a lot until the end of Fort Joy, then dropped it and never went back". Combats seemed to take ages, characters would die left and right, and rez scrolls seemed expensive and in limited supply, which sucked out a lot of the fun from the wife and I as we attempted to coop it. I may revisit it at some point with ooc rez. That's something I had to toggle in Pathfinder Kingmaker too as the whole logistics of post-combat condition removal (or multiple reloading to get through combat unscathed) was just adding many boring extra hours to a game in the hundreds of hours already.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

You don't need a mod to free OoC resurrect. That's in the gift bag options too. Use them!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Divinity 2 definitely scales much too sharply, but if you keep up with doing sidequests and fights you eventually end up on par or above every fight you encounter and it stops being frustrating. this assumes you are also replacing your gear as often as you can too. It’s very good to pickpocket as many people as you can and get up-to-date gear from merchants each level, within reason

You can “safely” pickpocket someone by entering conversation with them using one character, then having your thief initiate pickpocketing behind them. they won’t enter their “woah I got robbed” routine and start looking around until after you leave conversation with your first guy, so as long as other NPCs are not wandering nearby, you have all the time you need to browse and steal exactly what you want. When you’re done, move the thief a safe distance away, end the conversation and immediately move your first guy away and you’ll be safely gone by the time they start searching.
I mean, distracting a mark is one of the ways pickpockets get you in real life IIRC, so at least that's realism to an extent.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Divinity OS2 is so loving good.

It's extremely rare that a turn-based RPG has a good combat system. Shame that Baldur's Gate 3 is stuck with having to use garbage D&D systems.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Mortal Shell any good?

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I know this is the steam thread and all, but it's on gamepass if you got that/want to try it out cheap. I installed it but still havent tried it. Apparently it's pretty good, but you can cheese the system easily.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Woodenlung posted:

I know this is the steam thread and all, but it's on gamepass if you got that/want to try it out cheap. I installed it but still havent tried it. Apparently it's pretty good, but you can cheese the system easily.

This has been the unofficial PC Gaming thread for years now, but a couple people threw a fit last time we tried renaming it to that. :v:

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Mortal Shell any good?

I liked it. I hate to use this comparison but it's a lot like dark souls but with more emphasis on blocking offensively and following through.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Uh, does anyone know what's going on with Capcom Arcade Stadium's player numbers?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For context:

I think it is now free to download and you can buy games individually instead of in packs, although that is still quite a jump.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think the base game is free to download but it still seems like an obnoxiously large amount of players for what it is.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Does it have Steam cards?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

UnknownMercenary posted:

Does it have Steam cards?

Looks like it does, I think we've cracked the case.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
(SteamDB guy)
https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1465651264952406021?s=20
https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1465674795522084871?s=20

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 30, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

folks were talking about divinity: original sin 2 earlier. i have that, but never got close to even considering leaving Fort Joy either - whole lot of choice paralysis from all the options presenting themselves almost immediately, not even counting chargen

been long enough that i've mostly forgotten what the game even looks like, so seems as good a time as any to give it another go

My run stopped right after leaving Fort Joy. My usual RPG motivation problem of encountering an entirely new zone with new personalities to meet right after leaving one in which I was very immersed.

Re: D:OS2 combat being slow. There aren't many trash mob fights in the game, so each fight is pretty fun in and of itself. I personally like the slower, more intense but less frequent trade off. There are many well designed fights in Fort Joy, including the final boss.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Am I missing something? Are those dumb little pictures Steam hands out when you play games actually worth something? Was Steam in on NFTs before they were cool?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Commander Keene posted:

Am I missing something? Are those dumb little pictures Steam hands out when you play games actually worth something? Was Steam in on NFTs before they were cool?

Yes, Steam has had a market for years now where you can sell various digital items for literal peanuts or for actual thousands.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I’ve probably made north of £100 in SteamBux from letting my laptop idle games in the background while I’m working over the years. The only downside is my hours played count for basically everything is totally jacked up now

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Pretty much, although the bulk of trading is automated, there are very few real “collectors”. Bots buy and sell the useless cards en masse in order to fill steam wallets with credit that can be used to flip high-priced CS:GO skins on third party websites. It’s a money laundering scheme.

Steam tries to crack down on the practice every couple of years, but new micro-economies spring up every time a game provides a new opportunity for “cleaning” dirty money by buying digital currencies which can be used to buy skins/game keys/cards which can then be exchanged for cryptocurrency etc etc until they turn it back into cash.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Commander Keene posted:

You should sell all of your trading cards every once in a while. Probably have enough to buy a lil' game in the Autumn sale if you did!

Now like everyone else said, the bots are just money laundering.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I mean, you should have been selling from the start when you'd get £0.25 - £2 for a lot of cards, now it's like £0.01, but I suppose it's still >0 and if you automate selling them it's for almost no effort.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

vaginite posted:

Physical shield and magic shield in D:OS2 frustrated me. Balanced damage party = mediocre single-target damage output, focused damage party = unbeatable trap fights. I couldn't figure out a good rounded party that was viable for every required encounter, there was always one that was designed to gently caress over whatever type of party I built. Or I go 50/50 and every fight is terrible because I can't kill anything fast I gotta spread my damage out.

Also CC was useless with mobs being immune until you got their shields down. Having to burn down a bunch of a mobs HP before you can CC it defeats the purpose of CC. Oh you can make it rain, then shock the puddle to put a bunch of mobs out for a turn that sounds cool lol jk gently caress you it's never gonna work and your guy is useless.

Maybe there's some code I didn't crack. I managed to beat it but the whole game felt bad and a lot of the fights were just finding some way to cheese it. I know some people think that's the point but goddamn why can't they just balance it right.

I liked D:OS1 a lot better, which was disappointing because D:OS2 was a way better game overall but these couple of sticking points ruined it for me.

you were definitely missing a lot if you thought CC was useless. We played pretty much the entire game by rushing down the weaker of an enemy’s physical/magical armor and then never letting them do anything again as soon as it was gone. The brilliance of the armor system is that it lets you have these extremely powerful statuses like knockdown and charm but makes them completely deterministic so you can plan your turn around them.

in a typical fight it was adequate to have two characters focus someone’s physical armor and the other two focus a different enemy’s magical armor, but everyone had options for both just in case. A crossbow user who could use elemental bolts; a rogue + necromancer who eventually doubled as a pyromancer since I thought that would be fun; a shield guy with polymorph who also picked up geology and could apply both physical and magic CCs; and a summoner who had…some kind of other magic, I’m not sure what all was on this one because my brother was controlling him and his list of equipped spells went off the screen but he could do physical damage if he needed to

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah my Steam cards have long been going towards my Total Warhammer DLCs...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How is Conan Exiles if you don't have anyone to play with? I love the Conan setting and am in the mood for a game that gives me a big project I can complete while I watch TV/podcasts and it looks like it might be a good option. Is solo play pretty good if you fiddle with the settings and mod stuff to make progression easier? I read you can adjust resource rates and stuff pretty significantly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i refuse to engage in that nonsense. steam cards, pfft

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You don't really have to engage with it beyond listing all your cards that you've accumulated for sale every couple of years. Enhanced Steam or whatever it's called has a way to automate listing them that makes it take no time to do. It's literally free money sitting in your steam inventory.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah the whole steam card thing is so far outside anything I want to put effort into, including downloading and setting up some automated thing to handle it for me. All the extra emote bundles and the like just get in my way.

I already go beyond what most people do and have myself permanently signed out of the friends list so perhaps I'm not the best person to 'engage' with steam in the way they are trying to add value.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ciaphas posted:

I enjoyed the story but also kojima has never been more of a loving idiot

*laughs at u from the first credit roll*

I still can't get over the fact that the song that plays at that point in the endgame marathon is "I'll Keep Coming". It just works on several levels lmao

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well it was a good run but it seems like GOG is finally starting to bend the knee.

I still enjoy the DRM free philosophy of the company, but being the place for indie games and games made before this millennium will only carry something so far. GOG Galaxy was a decent and ambitious client but at the end of the day it was no Steam.

With Epic Games reporting very disappointing results last year, I think that’s it for competition against Steam unless Gamepass really catches on on PC.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well it was a good run but it seems like GOG is finally starting to bend the knee.

I still enjoy the DRM free philosophy of the company, but being the place for indie games and games made before this millennium will only carry something so far. GOG Galaxy was a decent and ambitious client but at the end of the day it was no Steam.

With Epic Games reporting very disappointing results last year, I think that’s it for competition against Steam unless Gamepass really catches on on PC.

DRM free is nice but GOG honestly died for me when they stopped being "good old games". Porting and repolishing old games was a service and when they stopped that I stopped caring about them.

(also if you want DRM free go to itch.io directly, that's where the devs get the best cut)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

EGS runs purely on spite and Tim will throw endless money at it the same way Microsoft did with the original Xbox in 2001

basically it lives as long as Fortnite does, so the acquisitions and partnerships will keep on rolling for now

i'm pretty sure Solar Ash comes out very soon, as a permanent exclusive on EGS, and Alan Wake 2 will likely be EGS-only for life as well

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Frog Act posted:

How is Conan Exiles if you don't have anyone to play with? I love the Conan setting and am in the mood for a game that gives me a big project I can complete while I watch TV/podcasts and it looks like it might be a good option. Is solo play pretty good if you fiddle with the settings and mod stuff to make progression easier? I read you can adjust resource rates and stuff pretty significantly

I'm sure you'll get some fun out of it, but sooner or later the game world will start feeling pretty empty. At least this was the case when I played with a small group of 4-5 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

StrixNebulosa posted:

DRM free is nice but GOG honestly died for me when they stopped being "good old games". Porting and repolishing old games was a service and when they stopped that I stopped caring about them.

(also if you want DRM free go to itch.io directly, that's where the devs get the best cut)

Yeah itch.io basically out GOG’d GOG. Those mega bundles did wonders for them.

The 7th Guest posted:

EGS runs purely on spite and Tim will throw endless money at it the same way Microsoft did with the original Xbox in 2001

basically it lives as long as Fortnite does, so the acquisitions and partnerships will keep on rolling for now

i'm pretty sure Solar Ash comes out very soon, as a permanent exclusive on EGS, and Alan Wake 2 will likely be EGS-only for life as well

I just find it insane how terrible the client and store is. They’re literally giving away free games and I still won’t bother with it. I used the client for GTAV and that was enough.