Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
For a bit of fun you can check what ingredients are illegal in other countries while perfectly legal in the US! Did you know the potassium sorbate used in making American bread is banned throughout the whole of the EU? It's also banned in Canada, Argentina, and Brazil! Studies have shown potassium sorbate to be toxic to DNA and to weaken the immune system. Enjoy your lunch sandwich, Americans!

Here is a list of banned ingredients:

Artificial Food Coloring
Artificial Preservatives and Additives
BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole)
BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene)
Nitrites and Propionates
Parabens
PFCs (Perfluorinated Compounds)
PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid)
PFOS (Perfluorooctane Sulfonic Acid
PTFE (Teflon)
Potassium Sorbate
Potassium Bromate
Sodium Benzoate
Potassium Benzoate
Calcium Benzoate
Artificial Sweeteners
Aspartame (Nutrasweet),
Saccharin (Sweet N’ Low)
Sucralose (Splenda)
Dairy Products from Cows that are given Growth Hormones
High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
Hydrogenated Oil (Trans Fat)
Inhumane Products
Tobacco
Genetically-Modified Farmed Fish

Can you identify which ones are banned in the US? :) Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

goddamn i get weird feeling when i see poo poo like that

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

probably just all the... ahh...

sodium benzoate

that i've consumed

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

goddamn i get weird feeling when i see poo poo like that

Gotta toss a definition for "Inhumane Products" out in case you think well surely that's banned in the US. "Any product tested on animals or any product from animals raised in a CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation)." Ah, well, nevertheless

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Samuel Glompers posted:

The thing about "too late" is it only exists if you give it a specific definition. Too late for our current societal expectations of normal life? Absolutely. There's no saving the current model of north American living, mother earth will have her righteous vengeance on our stupid, selfish, destructive society. But there really isn't any moment that justifies not trying, because there's always a chance to have less people die, less species be wiped out, less damage, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect I'm not alone in feeling a deep depression and sadness that it's "too late" for a world that I think I could survive in or want to be a part of, and I try to turn that to "It's too late to do anything" so that I can justify sitting on my rear end being sad and eating poisonous bonbons from the terrible treat machine which I am a part of, however unwillingly. It just isn't true. Anything and everything should be done and must be done, and I think part of the sadness that permeates this thread is how hollow and unsatisfying it is to try and soothe yourself with lies about hopelessness. I am sad because I am weak. So far I cannot find a contribution I can make to resisting this awful, awful system, and I am ashamed of my own inaction. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way, whether they admit it or not.

Besides that, there is the fact that it being too late for the current way of life makes it feel like it is too late for me, personally. I am a creature of this ridiculous way of life. I hardly know how to cook, my body is nothing but sedentary aches and pains, I have no survival skills, little physical strength... what world is there for me when X happens and this all falls apart? When industrial agriculture fails, seemingly incredibly soon? Not much of one as far as I can tell. So is it too late for me? Well, saying so is a way to excuse not doing anything about my problems. If it is too late I can just kick back, keep getting baked on a daily basis, wait until that moment of societal collapse comes, and then pick my [satirical method of choice] and [parody myself.]

But I don't want to do that anymore. I've tried to give up and it doesn't loving work! I doubt it will work for you either. I am going to try, if only to say that I did and find some peace with myself in making an effort. I urge you to do the same. A Better End Of The World Is Possible!

An animal caught in a trap will gnaw off his own leg to escape. What will you do? :nsa:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Did I put this here yesterday? If so sorry. He was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBRquiS1pis

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

mr trash wheel gobbles up trash from american waterways so they can instead be incinerated and have their particles injected into american airstreams

incinerating plastic is almost certainly harm reduction at this point

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

incinerating plastic is almost certainly harm reduction at this point

if you care about microplastics it seems like landfilling it is the obviously better choice

quote:

It is widely accepted that incineration can permanently eliminate plastic waste. However, unburned material still exists in the bottom ash that is a solid residue from incinerators. In this study, microplastics exacted from bottom ash in 12 mass burn incinerators, one bottom ash disposal center and four fluidized bed incinerators were identified by micro-Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. The results showed that bottom ash was a neglected microplastics source with an abundance of 1.9-565 n/kg, which indicated that per metric ton waste produce 360 to 102,000 microplastic particles after incineration. Nine types of plastics were identified, of which polypropylene and polystyrene were the predominant types. Microplastics sized between 50 μm and 1 mm accounted for 74 %. Granules, fragments, film, and fibers accounted for 43 %, 34 %, 18 %, and 5 % of the microplastics, respectively. The abundance of microplastics differed significantly with whether the local waste was source-separated, the local gross domestic product per capita, and the types of furnace. The global microplastics emission from incineration bottom ash was then estimated. Our observations provide empirical evidence proving that incineration is not the terminator of plastic waste, and bottom ash is a potential source of microplastics released into the environment.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
actually you're supposed to recycle plastic :)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
the reason I thought incineration would be harm reduction was that a landfill would have to stay water tight for like 60,000 years which seems dubious. at least with incineration there is a chance to reduce the total bulk of the stuff assuming micro plastics aren’t being shot out the flue or something. I wonder if the ash can be re-fired?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stevie Lee posted:

actually you're supposed to recycle plastic :)

My wife 'yelled' at me last weekend that in some ways she was happier before she met me because she could do things like recycle plastic and feel like she was helping lol.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
lol now i'm getting ads for mccormick spices before videos

lmao @ the future

"you're making dad's famous turkey? *shows mccormick spices* it's gonna be great :3"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Gotta toss a definition for "Inhumane Products" out in case you think well surely that's banned in the US. "Any product tested on animals or any product from animals raised in a CAFO (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation)." Ah, well, nevertheless

I really want to know what a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation is, but also, I really don't want to know

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Torpor posted:

the reason I thought incineration would be harm reduction was that a landfill would have to stay water tight for like 60,000 years which seems dubious. at least with incineration there is a chance to reduce the total bulk of the stuff assuming micro plastics aren’t being shot out the flue or something. I wonder if the ash can be re-fired?

What if we dump plastic in a subduction zone

Or would we end up with plastic volcanoes in several thousand years

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just make a space elevator to move our garbage to orbit and drive it into the sun

Sure a Tesla Space Garbage Truck might drive a molten asteroid of trash into Cincinnati but who cares

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It'd be functionally easier to chuck trash at Venus than into the Sun.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just put it on the moon. That way it can stare back at us

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Just put all the plastic waste in Yucca Mountain and put up some warnings for future civilizations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bowser posted:

Just put all the plastic waste in Yucca Mountain and put up some warnings for future civilizations.

I don't think it would take more than a couple months to pile up a yucca mountains worth of plastic

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
store the nuclear waste in the piles of plastic

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

bowser posted:

good idea. now we just need to collect it all from the oceans and soil

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Spergin Morlock posted:

good idea. now we just need to collect it all from the oceans and soil

Lol we collect fish from the ocean all the time and they're even trying to get away. How hard can collecting plastic be. Idiot

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

just add one of these to every landfill
problem solved

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Why don't we take everything that's bad for the planet and put it into volcanoes, nature's glory hole?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Samuel Glompers posted:

The thing about "too late" is it only exists if you give it a specific definition. Too late for our current societal expectations of normal life? Absolutely. There's no saving the current model of north American living, mother earth will have her righteous vengeance on our stupid, selfish, destructive society. But there really isn't any moment that justifies not trying, because there's always a chance to have less people die, less species be wiped out, less damage, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect I'm not alone in feeling a deep depression and sadness that it's "too late" for a world that I think I could survive in or want to be a part of, and I try to turn that to "It's too late to do anything" so that I can justify sitting on my rear end being sad and eating poisonous bonbons from the terrible treat machine which I am a part of, however unwillingly. It just isn't true. Anything and everything should be done and must be done, and I think part of the sadness that permeates this thread is how hollow and unsatisfying it is to try and soothe yourself with lies about hopelessness. I am sad because I am weak. So far I cannot find a contribution I can make to resisting this awful, awful system, and I am ashamed of my own inaction. I suspect a lot of people feel the same way, whether they admit it or not.

Besides that, there is the fact that it being too late for the current way of life makes it feel like it is too late for me, personally. I am a creature of this ridiculous way of life. I hardly know how to cook, my body is nothing but sedentary aches and pains, I have no survival skills, little physical strength... what world is there for me when X happens and this all falls apart? When industrial agriculture fails, seemingly incredibly soon? Not much of one as far as I can tell. So is it too late for me? Well, saying so is a way to excuse not doing anything about my problems. If it is too late I can just kick back, keep getting baked on a daily basis, wait until that moment of societal collapse comes, and then pick my [satirical method of choice] and [parody myself.]

But I don't want to do that anymore. I've tried to give up and it doesn't loving work! I doubt it will work for you either. I am going to try, if only to say that I did and find some peace with myself in making an effort. I urge you to do the same. A Better End Of The World Is Possible!

This does a good job of summarizing a thought I've been having, and that is that virtually all of the "Existential Dread" :airquote: being experienced in Millennial / Zoomer Society, and which is constantly being articled up in the media nowadays, is not about the collapse of the biosphere or the extinction of vast swathes of life on earth.

It's about spoiled brats having to come to grips that their way of life, and associated utterly insane rate of consumption, is going to abruptly end - and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. It is beyond their control. Since society has been indoctrinated into this high-consumption lifestyle from birth for two generations now, and fed a lie about their personal manifest destiny and freedom at the same time, people are fundamentally unable to reconcile this blossoming future reality and it is Breaking Their loving Brains.

More and more I am realizing that when people talk about being depressed by matters of "collapse", they are using it as an allegory to actually discuss being depressed by the end of their lifestyles, and that the imminent end of their species from multiple vectors is still not clicking yet.

It's equal parts more depressing and infuriating than the actual poo poo which is going down, in some ways, knowing that the bulk of society will piss and moan about the imminent lack of tendies and weed - right up until the day they're unceremoniously dumped in a mass grave.

If they're lucky enough to die early enough that mass graves are still a thing we bother with.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
How can you stomach your own misanthropy? You really think so little of humanity and human life and human thriving. It's appalling and you should be ashamed.

People are not having their goodies taken from them by big bad nature they are having the whole of their lives stolen from them by the loving ruling class.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Your masters won't lose their tendies and weed you jackanape.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can it? If it hits a particular nueron you mean? I'm not sure the brain is that susceptible to be honest but I'm willing to hear you out

Cosmic rays can have as much energy as a speeding bullet, although it's ridiculously unlikely to hit someone. It's kinda like saying a rock is a toxin because someone could kill you if they threw a rock at your head.

I really want to know what a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation is, but also, I really don't want to know

500 tons of livestock confined in one place. It's where America raises 70.4% of cows, 98.3% of pigs, 99.8% of turkeys, 98.2% of chickens raised for eggs, and over 99.9% of chickens raised for meat.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Chamale they said they didn't want to know! :mad:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

r u ready to WALK posted:

just add one of these to every landfill
problem solved

this is the worst loving 10,000 year warning sign I’ve ever seen, what the gently caress. everything but the weird faces requires fuckloads of context that will no longer exist. put a pile of skulls on there or misshapen human faces, like the eyes annoyingly misaligned or the double eyes thing, something that is unnerving.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Nov 30, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Can it? If it hits a particular nueron you mean? I'm not sure the brain is that susceptible to be honest but I'm willing to hear you out

Cosmic rays can be incredibly high energy, but individual collisions between cosmic rays and human tissue would, at worst, cause massive genetic mutation in an individual cell. This would probably only lead to that cell's death, but it's theoretically possible that a cancerous growth could result.

You'd need a constant beam of cosmic rays at that kind of energy (like standing in the LHC beam cavity) to cause macroscopic tissue damage.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Rime posted:

This does a good job of summarizing a thought I've been having, and that is that virtually all of the "Existential Dread" :airquote: being experienced in Millennial / Zoomer Society, and which is constantly being articled up in the media nowadays, is not about the collapse of the biosphere or the extinction of vast swathes of life on earth.

It's about spoiled brats having to come to grips that their way of life, and associated utterly insane rate of consumption, is going to abruptly end - and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. It is beyond their control. Since society has been indoctrinated into this high-consumption lifestyle from birth for two generations now, and fed a lie about their personal manifest destiny and freedom at the same time, people are fundamentally unable to reconcile this blossoming future reality and it is Breaking Their loving Brains.

More and more I am realizing that when people talk about being depressed by matters of "collapse", they are using it as an allegory to actually discuss being depressed by the end of their lifestyles, and that the imminent end of their species from multiple vectors is still not clicking yet.

It's equal parts more depressing and infuriating than the actual poo poo which is going down, in some ways, knowing that the bulk of society will piss and moan about the imminent lack of tendies and weed - right up until the day they're unceremoniously dumped in a mass grave.

If they're lucky enough to die early enough that mass graves are still a thing we bother with.

:nsamad:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I think nothing of humanity because there's no such thing.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Torpor posted:

this is the worst loving 10,000 year warning sign I’ve ever seen, what the gently caress. everything but the weird faces requires fuckloads of context that will no longer exist. put a pile of skulls on there or misshapen human faces, like the eyes annoyingly misaligned or the double eyes thing, something that is unnerving.

It's not gonna work either way. Modern humans love going into places ancient humans marked as Do Not Enter. We assume superstition and we're probably correct to, but likely future humans/intelligent life would also presume superstition and would be incorrect. Their tiny minds are going to be blown to smithereens when they realize everyone going into those areas is in fact dropping dead - a powerful magic, the old humans were correct to fear this place.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Is a radioactive squid person not entitled to the irradiated skeletons of their wasteland?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
no I’m not going to update your archaic language warning sign that barely anyone can read! this is valuable real estate!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that video that illustrates the predicted future of the universe while accelerating at an exponential rate

makes me feel marginally better

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

mdemone posted:

Cosmic rays can be incredibly high energy, but individual collisions between cosmic rays and human tissue would, at worst, cause massive genetic mutation in an individual cell. This would probably only lead to that cell's death, but it's theoretically possible that a cancerous growth could result.

You'd need a constant beam of cosmic rays at that kind of energy (like standing in the LHC beam cavity) to cause macroscopic tissue damage.

I should know really because I did astrophysics 15 years ago but yeah, this is consistent with what I remembered.

Chamale posted:

Cosmic rays can have as much energy as a speeding bullet,

This didn't seem right so I looked it up. But it turns out they do have a wild range of energies and while the vast majority are absurdly low energy (a trillionth of a joule) they can indeed reach bullet-like energies :stare:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Rime posted:

Eh, this generational approach seems pretty silly to me. Everyone born after 1920 has been made addicted to extreme consumerism, why single out millennials and zoomers? It's like getting mad at pet dogs and cats for not retaining the instincts of wolves and cougars. Of course I need pet food to survive, I was made this way! You yourself call it indoctrination, how can they be indoctrinated and spoiled brats at the same time? The incompetence is necessarily a part of being born into late industrial society. Not to mention everything that is horrible, grinding and cruel about modern living, from rent to gig work and everything in between. As for the moaning... pretty sure most hospital patients would moan if you took away their morphine, I sure as poo poo will moan as my societal morphine goes away. I have been!

Anyways, I maintain my "too late does not exist" stance. Stand up and fight, fellow doomers, because A Better End Of The World Is Possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

giving yourself false hope for the 8th circle of hell instead of the 9th is just another form of self-harm

live a hedonistic lifestyle while you can imo