Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm sure the 88 is significant in some other way than, well, you know

We have/had one dude on the forums who absolutely refused to change his username because he was born in 88.

Its occasionally even believable, people are really stupid and really stubborn about their stupidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there are a lot more people who have an 88 in their username because they were born then than there are people who are expressing how much they like hitler.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sometimes it's the year their father died

or not

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I think there are a lot more people who have an 88 in their username because they were born then than there are people who are expressing how much they like hitler.

And you'd be wrong.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

quote:

'A struggle somewhat grimmer for my part than the battle of the Hornburg,' answered Aragorn. ‘I have looked in the Stone of Orthanc, my friends.’

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

CainFortea posted:

And you'd be wrong.

Lol the vast majority of people are not extremely online and don't know what 88 means

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

Lol the vast majority of people are not extremely online and don't know what 88 means

If they're online enough for a handle, they've probably heard about it at some point. You don't have to be extremely online.

Especially if they were born in 88.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing about online nazis is, they're gonna tell you they're nazis at some point.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

88 as neo-nazi code/symbolism predates the internet by a lot

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

online enough to have a handle eh

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

hawowanlawow posted:

online enough to have a handle eh

lots of people only really use Facebook so their handle is just their name and when they need a username they just come up with some variant on their real name.

im gonna have to change my handle again once i get my name legally changed...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

88 as neo-nazi code/symbolism predates the internet by a lot

This. I knew about the 14 words in the 90s just from kinda... Things people knew. They were probably the wrong 14, but i know the nazi significance

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There is a surprising amount of people with 88 in their account, because their preferred account name was already taken, and the website suggested username88 based on their year of birth. I'm not going to speculate how much compared to the nazis, but it's definitely enough not to assume this automatically. I know from moderating a couple of places back in the day, where it was a legitimate problem.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Mauser posted:

Hari's got his own orb to ponder in the show. Space orb

Ah heck, is that out? I hope it's good, but I'll watch Jared Harris in anything.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Paladinus posted:

There is a surprising amount of people with 88 in their account, because their preferred account name was already taken, and the website suggested username88 based on their year of birth. I'm not going to speculate how much compared to the nazis, but it's definitely enough not to assume this automatically. I know from moderating a couple of places back in the day, where it was a legitimate problem.

Its a real thing, but I have alot more respect for the people who react "gently caress those nazi fucks they can't take my birthday" than the ones who feign shock and ignorance. Fight for it or give it up, but don't act dumb.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you guys really don't know a lot of regular jerkoffs huh

most people couldn't put Germany on a fuckin map, much less remember Nazi code words. I dare anyone to do a man on the street bit and ask what 88 stands for

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hawowanlawow posted:

most people couldn't put Germany on a fuckin map, much less remember Nazi code words. I dare anyone to do a man on the street bit and ask what 88 stands for

Regular jerkoffs also have trouble finding the clit, thats really a pretty bad standard of a competent human.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

You seem unusually peeved by this

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As someone whose birthday falls on a 14th day in 1988, nazis taking my birthday is a real thing when considering what to use as a pin number, or chathandle, or email address, etc. Fuckers.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

You seem unusually peeved by this

let's just try not to create our own reality and talk to each other about it, it's not good

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Your pin number really shouldn't be your birthday, op

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
once i bought Discord Nitro for someone who had apparently been stuck with #1488 as their randomly rolled discriminator tag for literally years

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SimonSays posted:

Ah heck, is that out? I hope it's good,
You might want to sit down.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Http 418? Hm...

E: I'm making a joke about your old Hitler teapot avatar, please, don't take it close to heart.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

let's just try not to create our own reality and talk to each other about it, it's not good

Doesn't seem like anyone's doing that here. You reading a different thread?

e: correction, I was wrong, there are people doing that, but they're the ones going "wow gee doesn't look like anything to me you all are just crazypants for talking about this known and documented phenomenon like it really exists or something"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Doesn't seem like anyone's doing that here. You reading a different thread?

e: correction, I was wrong, there are people doing that, but they're the ones going "wow gee doesn't look like anything to me you all are just crazypants for talking about this known and documented phenomenon like it really exists or something"

This is the post I replied to

CainFortea posted:

If they're online enough for a handle, they've probably heard about it at some point.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Nov 30, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Paladinus posted:

Http 418? Hm...

E: I'm making a joke about your old Hitler teapot avatar, please, don't take it close to heart.

Everything about my avatar and username is an elaborate joke based on a hacked server i encountered years ago.

I'm just glad someone noticed the http code lol

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I see a few 88s all over the internet.
Never see any 87s or 89s for some reason.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Know how after a zip code, there’s a 4 digit house code as well? Like 11001-xxxx? My house code is 1488. Stupid racist house.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unkempt posted:

:thunk:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

END OF AN ERROR posted:

Know how after a zip code, there’s a 4 digit house code as well? Like 11001-xxxx? My house code is 1488. Stupid racist house.

Thats actually a block code.

Your whole block is racist af.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

We were so close to winning but then everyone just had to go and get HBO MAX and Disney+

This is what everyone used to want before streaming. "Why do I need ESPN8? I just want to buy a couple channels I actually want." And now everyone complains that choosing to pay for All Media costs as much as being forced to pay for All Media.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm sure the 88 is significant in some other way than, well, you know

Maybe he's just really good at the piano

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Unkempt posted:

I play video games online, and there's all kinds of numbers. But the scariest numbers to see are 2005 or 06. Especially if they're on the enemy team. And you end up losing.

RFC2324 posted:

Everything about my avatar and username is an elaborate joke based on a hacked server i encountered years ago.

I'm just glad someone noticed the http code lol

Yeah, I always like your username.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

This is what everyone used to want before streaming. "Why do I need ESPN8? I just want to buy a couple channels I actually want." And now everyone complains that choosing to pay for All Media costs as much as being forced to pay for All Media.

Did people expect that you'd get to watch every show you ever desired for one low, low price or something. This is basically the ala carte cable menu everyone wanted before we knew that streaming was gonna be a thing. Also, even with all the services, I'm still not paying as much as I did for cable.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cat Hatter posted:

It's more that we had Hulu, and it got splintered into FXX, Hbo Max, Disney+, Paramount+, CBS All Access, Peacock, etc. and Netflix just doesn't have anything not produced in-house anymore as every movie studio now has a streaming service.

The second the valve opened a little the loving pipe burst and now there's 90 goddamn streaming services instead of 2.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Didn’t we have this particular slapfight with more or less the same posts and participants a few weeks ago or was that the Twitter thread?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's more that we had Hulu, and it got splintered into FXX, Hbo Max, Disney+, Paramount+, CBS All Access, Peacock, etc. and Netflix just doesn't have anything not produced in-house anymore as every movie studio now has a streaming service.

The second the valve opened a little the loving pipe burst and now there's 90 goddamn streaming services instead of 2.

That nonsense killed the Venture Bros and I’ll never forgive them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even with the streaming service bloat, we're right now far better off than we ever were with cable. Plus you can trade passwords with friends.