Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you were definitely missing a lot if you thought CC was useless. We played pretty much the entire game by rushing down the weaker of an enemy’s physical/magical armor and then never letting them do anything again as soon as it was gone. The brilliance of the armor system is that it lets you have these extremely powerful statuses like knockdown and charm but makes them completely deterministic so you can plan your turn around them.

in a typical fight it was adequate to have two characters focus someone’s physical armor and the other two focus a different enemy’s magical armor, but everyone had options for both just in case. A crossbow user who could use elemental bolts; a rogue + necromancer who eventually doubled as a pyromancer since I thought that would be fun; a shield guy with polymorph who also picked up geology and could apply both physical and magic CCs; and a summoner who had…some kind of other magic, I’m not sure what all was on this one because my brother was controlling him and his list of equipped spells went off the screen but he could do physical damage if he needed to

Yeah talking about it has made me think I should give it another shot. It's been a long time since I played it. I think part of my issue is I kept trying to force strategies that worked good in D:OS1 into D:OS2 and got frustrated when it didn't work.

e: Also your approach sounds good if you want to share a general build roadmap with me, if you have one - just like which classes to dump ranks in would probably be good enough.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm glad some folks are giving DOS2 another try, if anyone runs into any problems my DMs are open.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Catpain Slack posted:

I'm sure you'll get some fun out of it, but sooner or later the game world will start feeling pretty empty. At least this was the case when I played with a small group of 4-5 people.

Word thanks. I just kind of want a good world to tool around in ala Kenshi so I can accept a little emptiness if I can get a couple dozen hours of building fun out of it. For $11 I guess it's hardly a big risk. Anyone else ITT try it solo / small group?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Any mods to fix the atrocious itemization, that really is my biggest complaint with the game. I'm lukewarm on the writing but that probably won't be too much of a problem if I revisit it. The item treadmill being soo aggressive I'd what turned me off the game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Frog Act posted:

Word thanks. I just kind of want a good world to tool around in ala Kenshi so I can accept a little emptiness if I can get a couple dozen hours of building fun out of it. For $11 I guess it's hardly a big risk. Anyone else ITT try it solo / small group?

I played it solo for about ten minutes before realizing it's really, really not the game for me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well it was a good run but it seems like GOG is finally starting to bend the knee.

I still enjoy the DRM free philosophy of the company, but being the place for indie games and games made before this millennium will only carry something so far. GOG Galaxy was a decent and ambitious client but at the end of the day it was no Steam.

With Epic Games reporting very disappointing results last year, I think that’s it for competition against Steam unless Gamepass really catches on on PC.

Gamepass is pretty huge already. Epic is probably going to be bankrolled for another year or so - if anything, disappointing results from GOG shows that they are succeeding in stealing market share from the competition.

GOG is still my preferred storefront because downloading and running the installers has way fewer hiccups than using the Steam Client. I hope they keep on trucking.

Full disclosure, I only use GOG and Steam because I'm used to them and keeping track of more accounts is too much :effort:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just find it insane how terrible the client and store is. They’re literally giving away free games and I still won’t bother with it. I used the client for GTAV and that was enough.

It's surreal to compare the insane pace of Unreal Engine development to the glacial pace of store development

They have the engineering talent on staff to speedrun their way to a decent client, but they just don't for some reason

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Play posted:

I played it solo for about ten minutes before realizing it's really, really not the game for me.

Yeah I tried it once on gamepass and it felt like a generic survival game but the same thing happened to me with Kenshi and then I spent like 200 hours on it in just over a month. I guess what I really wonder is how much of it is punching trees and how much is building / exploring

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah itch.io basically out GOG’d GOG. Those mega bundles did wonders for them.

I don't have any data to support this, but my gut feel says that outside the megabundles, paying itch.io audience is really tiny even compared to GOG.

I'd like to hear some real facts from indie devs, if someone has them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah itch.io basically out GOGd GOG. Those mega bundles did wonders for them.

I just find it insane how terrible the client and store is. Theyre literally giving away free games and I still wont bother with it. I used the client for GTAV and that was enough.

This really puzzles me too. With all the money they've been putting into Epic store, how can they not put any resources into making it actually usable? There's no additional information, screenshots, discussions, reviews, nothing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

itchio is when mario gets the poison ivy leaf powerup

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TeaJay posted:

This really puzzles me too. With all the money they've been putting into Epic store, how can they not put any resources into making it actually usable? There's no additional information, screenshots, discussions, reviews, nothing.

The people who are in charge of the Epic Store are not actually people who use a gaming client to buy anything is the only way I can see it. Otherwise you'd think there would be some awareness of what's missing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i cannot imagine the removal of discussion and reviews from a game's store page as anything but an unequivocal positive. if i needed someone to tell me that this game is getting a 1/10 stars because it's for woke sjws and includes a female character they had difficulty whacking off to (but don't worry they managed it in the end) i'd just pull up reddit

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I spent <$10 on this sale. the stuff I want just doesn't have the big discounts. c'mon gaben :colbert:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

I spent <$10 on this sale. the stuff I want just doesn't have the big discounts. c'mon gaben :colbert:

I’m in the same boat, but I’m happy with my restraint. Deus Ex, Hylics, and Simulacra look pretty sweet to me. They’ll do for the whole month we have to wait for the next sale.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Cowcaster posted:

i cannot imagine the removal of discussion and reviews from a game's store page as anything but an unequivocal positive. if i needed someone to tell me that this game is getting a 1/10 stars because it's for woke sjws and includes a female character they had difficulty whacking off to (but don't worry they managed it in the end) i'd just pull up reddit

I'd miss Steam reviews, personally. Maybe it's the kind of games I purchase, but the negative reviews (and even the positive reviews) tend to have pretty informative reviews, with discussions of graphics, pros and cons, all that stuff. They've managed to convince me out of some purchases, and sometimes convince me into others.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I've already bought everything of note I would ever want from GOG. Outside of poo poo that can't be bought on steam I've never looked at it as a competitor. It's just been a place where I know I have all the gold box D&D games without the need to go to some abandonware site to grab them.

I have never purchased a new release from them. Especially in a world where Fanatical exists now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I bought Jade Empire there because their copy works better than the one from Origin.

Givin fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 30, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What’s Fanatical?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fruits of the sea posted:

What’s Fanatical?

A storefront that has ok deals, but mostly has lots of pretty good bundles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

something is finally happening with the stanley parable remake/expansion that was announced *checks notes* three years ago

https://twitter.com/crowsx3/status/1465717205568475136

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

reviews are a good feature and deleting them would not somehow improve steam any more than simply choosing not to scroll down and read them.

There are so many games on steam at this point without nearly enough time to play everything interesting that if I see a bad review average on something I don’t know much about with no review bomb flags, I just move on. It sucks but there’s only so much time to investigate niche products. for games that warrant more attention, a quick glance at the top reviews generally makes it clear if the complaints are actually just chuds upset that women exist in the game or whether it’s legitimately because the second half of the game is unfinished and deletes itself after changing your desktop background to a middle finger

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Reviews and discussions are loving great and borderline essential for older games. If I have a question about some niche 15 year old title there’s a good chance I won’t be able to find a subreddit or a forum, but steam will always have a medium where I can at least try to get my questions answered and I’ve found they almost always do

Removing reviews and discussions because gamers are scum is the same logic that has channeled everyone and all information into obscure discords and makes it impossible to archive critical information and discussions

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Steam reviews can be very helpful especially considering how most review sites tend to be garbage. It’s good to get opinions on say MMOs from people who have put in adequate time into the game compared to professional reviewers who’ve spent maybe ten hours with them.

It’s kind of an open secret that game reviewers often don’t even beat the games they review. Anyone else remember the Lost Odyssey Gamespot review controversy where it turns out the reviewer never got past the first disc?

Not to mention reviewing a game after only a few days of playing it is poor practice anyway as it takes time to have your experience truly sink in.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Reviews and discussions are loving great and borderline essential for older games. If I have a question about some niche 15 year old title there’s a good chance I won’t be able to find a subreddit or a forum, but steam will always have a medium where I can at least try to get my questions answered and I’ve found they almost always do

Removing reviews and discussions because gamers are scum is the same logic that has channeled everyone and all information into obscure discords and makes it impossible to archive critical information and discussions

I totally agree in principle, but there's just so much white noise on larger storefronts. Steam reviews are more marginally more useful than Amazon reviews imo. I do get a lot of benefit from reviews on smaller platforms though. Steam's discussion forums are actually ok for asking about games because there's less traffic. Although you do have to take into account that the people actually posting are mostly hardcore fans or embittered ex-fans.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I mean the BF2042 discussion is useless and even games like Insurgency are just lousy with Nazis but I think the answer is just stronger moderation rather than restricting avenues for customers to express things that might contradict the marketing material, which is currently not even possible at all on EGS

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I mean the BF2042 discussion is useless and even games like Insurgency are just lousy with Nazis but I think the answer is just stronger moderation rather than restricting avenues for customers to express things that might contradict the marketing material, which is currently not even possible at all on EGS

Moderation costs money, which many companies are averse to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well, I'd post a megapost for games coming in December but.. I mean it's the end of the year. There's not going to be much. I'll post a few though.

(i won't post Fight Knight because it's by a rapist)

Archvale (Dec 2nd) (on Gamepass)

Looks to be a fantasy take on Enter the Gungeon. By Humble Games, so it should be on Gamepass day 1.

Mechajammer (Dec 2nd)

Turn-based cyberpunk CRPG with a pretty slick look, like if you applied Octopath Traveler's HD-2D style to a grimy dystopian setting. The dev's previous game Serpent in the Staglands did not review very well.

Happy's Humble Burger Farm (Dec 3rd)

Off-brand Five Nights at Freddys, except it's not by a homophobic fascism-lover (as far as I know!!) and published by TinyBuild. This is not my thing at all, I think games like this are manufactured for streamers, but maybe the combination of food preparation and bad scares will work for people.

Chorus (Dec 3rd)

Space dogfighter by the Galaxy on Fire dev (now part of Deep Silver). Looks to have a full cutscene-heavy story to go along with the dogfighting.

Shadow Tactics: Aiko's Choice (Dec 6th)

A standalone expansion to the original Shadow Tactics with three new main missions, and three interlude missions.

Wolfstride (Dec 7th) (demo available)

A mecha piloting RPG that has been in development for a while... I think I remember seeing Wolfstride in an E3 trailer two years ago. You do mecha battles in an arena and do side jobs to raise money.

Rune Factory 4 Special (Dec 7th)

Port of the very popular 3DS social sim ARPG that combines farming, hacking, slashing, and dating. Stardew Valley has Rune Factory to thank for its existence. Maybe now you can date the sherlock lady?? I forget almost everything about this game even though I've tried to play through it twice, lol

Sam & Max Season 2 Remaster (Dec 8th)

Similar to the remaster of season 1, Sam and Max: Beyond Time and Space is now fitted for modern systems, and replaces Bosco's original whitewashed voice. I never liked the first season but thought the second season was decent (while season 3 is legitimately some of the best Sam and Max material since Hit the Road and the comics). This came out at the peak of Telltale's point-n-click era, before The Walking Dead completely changed their design philosophy.

Monster Rancher 1 & 2 DX (Dec 8th)

Look at this boy, he's on his way. The classic disc-based monster collection & battle series is finally coming to PC. To make up for most computers not having optical drives anymore, the game has a built in database of CD titles to choose from for generating monsters. Obviously not as ideal, but there's no perfect solution here (would've been interesting to see them try to base it on MP3s but even that has fallen to the wayside in the Spotify era).

Wytchwood (Dec 9th)

A 'crafting adventure game' by Alientrap (Cryptark, Apotheon). Has some gorgeous art design, I'm just curious about the gameplay loop. The store page says you take the role of the rude witch archetype of many classic fairy tales, where you concoct potions to ruin the lives of many characters and teach them a lesson.

Syberia: The World Before (Dec 10th)

The final Syberia game (RIP Benoit Sokal), this one will actually show what the automaton cities actually looked like when populated and running, as you will play both the usual protagonist as well as a protagonist in the 1930s.

Cleo: A Pirate's Tale (Dec 12th)

A point n click adventure inspired by Zelda and Lucasarts titles. Looks neat. Idk I can't put a thousand words into all of these.

The Gunk (Dec 14th) (on Gamepass)

A new 3D action platformer by the developer of Steamworld Dig/Heist/Quest where you're tasked with cleaning up and healing a toxic planet with your power glove (they're just calling it a power glove, idk if Nintendo lost the trademark or just doesn't care?). I haven't seen a Steam page for this one yet but it will be on Gamepass PC.

Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo (Dec 16th)

I highlight this one not because it's good but because it is likely to be a trainwreck. By Pendulo (Runaway, Yesterday series), Vertigo is not even an actual adaptation of Hitchcock's story but instead "inspired by Hitchcock's universe". There are similar elements but it seems to be its own story, which makes me think they just bought the rights to Hitchcock's name just to get a couple extra sales. Outside of the Yesterday games I don't really like Pendulo's catalog to begin with, but the trailer for this game confused people just as much as that Pinocchio Souls game... so I am expecting something really trashy.

---

It's also known that The Anacruisis (former L4D dev making L4D yet again) was supposed to release "this fall", and uh.. well we only got half of one month to go there. So maybe? I am expecting anything not already shown on this list or at The Game Awards to be delayed to 2022 at this point.

e: SecksWrecks wanted me to point out Solar Ash also comes out this week, but it is a permanent EGS exclusive, so that's why it didn't show up here. It's by the Hyper Light Drifter developer although it's more of a surreal parkour platformer. We'll see if it pops up on Gamepass or something like Outer Wilds did.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 30, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know the Sam and Max S2 remaster was so soon! I've been looking forward to it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:woop:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1465743155047723009

For those of you (like me) hoping they'd add this to gamepass!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you spelled chorvs wrong

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

explosivo posted:

:woop:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1465743155047723009

For those of you (like me) hoping they'd add this to gamepass!

Hell yeah I almost bought this like four times so I’m very excited to not pay $35 for it. I hope they patch in a text and voice chat system

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well it was a good run but it seems like GOG is finally starting to bend the knee.

I still enjoy the DRM free philosophy of the company, but being the place for indie games and games made before this millennium will only carry something so far. GOG Galaxy was a decent and ambitious client but at the end of the day it was no Steam.

With Epic Games reporting very disappointing results last year, I think that’s it for competition against Steam unless Gamepass really catches on on PC.

I wonder how much of this was developing the Galaxy client to solve a problem it turns out not a lot of people really had, that being too many digital stores separating their games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is the Christmas Steam sale a thing?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Archvale looks fun although it might be the kind of game I get bored with quick. I am totally floored by how awesome Mechajammer looks. Definitely gonna give that one a good go.

Chorus looks like it could be seriously amazing. I feel bad for the Everspace 2 devs since that's still in EA and this, frankly, looks better although seems a bit more action focused rather than RPG. Still this could really hurt Everspace 2 if it's as good as it looks like it might be.

Also I am going to pirate that alt-right shithead abuser's game Fight Knight. It will give me pleasure to steal it and then tell everyone how awful it is even if it isn't.

Cowcaster posted:

you spelled chorvs wrong

nah it's just a weird looking U

Anyways Gamepass is starting to scare me a little bit I really don't want PC games only on there rather than steam. It's a great deal but I don't want or need it right now and I want it to stay that way

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idk if The Gunk is exclusive to Windows Store or not, but it was originally an Xbox exclusive game and Microsoft basically wants all Xbox exclusives on PC, so it may be something like that. a game that otherwise would not be on PC at all

better that than, like, Judgment only being on PC through Stadia

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Superb value, only continues to grow

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

There was one, or something close to that concept. Dunno what happened to it, I stopped following it because that poo poo doesn't work for me.

What's been working for me is having Game Pass and then playing whatever is marked as leaving soon :v:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Is the Christmas Steam sale a thing?

yes but the discounts are typically the same as those of the fall sale

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I did the dollar 3 months gamepass thing again to play Forza 5, ended up playing it for 3 days and haven't touched any other game on it. Not sure why, just rather play games from Steam I guess and last time I tried to install something it gave me a bunch of errors and I guess I don't care enough to figure it out. I got to play Forza for a buck though so that was cool, didn't really enjoy it, but didn't have to spend a bunch to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Frog Act posted:

yes but the discounts are typically the same as those of the fall sale

Alright. Think Baldur's Gate 3 will go on sale? It'd be a good gift for my brother-in-law who loves the series, but not at €60.

e: it's not looking good https://steampricehistory.com/app/1086940