Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

NitroSpazzz posted:

You'd be surprised what they're not totalling anymore. Mom's minivan got rear ended, 7k in damage which is blue book on the thing. They're fixing it.

I've heard the opposite in the UK - i know a couple people who work high up for RAC insurance and they were saying the trend at the moment is that damage way under the value of the car normally is getting written off because of difficulty getting parts is pushing repair costs/times up. I guess this is kinda situational, depends on what parts are needed, but who knows.

Having said that I very much doubt mine is getting totalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KillHour posted:

I hope my garage collapses on my Aston because both my garage and my Aston need work that I don't want to do that also won't matter for insurance purposes. Does that count?

Edit: since my luck means this is probably going to actually happen now I don't actually want that to happen it would suck and be a pain in the rear end.

That reminds me of a story I heard often in my youth. It was said that if you send 0.25 BTC to 1BvBMSEYstWetqTFn5Au4m4GFg7xJaNVN2, your garage was likely to catch fire on December 4th while you were at dinner and a movie from 7 to 11 pm

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

AirRaid posted:

On closer inspection in the daylight there are three panels damaged - front wing, left door and bonnet panel are all out of shape.

This sucks :/
You can kind of push it from the inside, turn your wheels left, undo the plastic arch, hit it a few times.
Also check if anything under hood was damaged, check headlight mounts and all the small plastic bits, imo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That reminds me of a story I heard often in my youth. It was said that if you send 0.25 BTC to 1BvBMSEYstWetqTFn5Au4m4GFg7xJaNVN2, your garage was likely to catch fire on December 4th while you were at dinner and a movie from 7 to 11 pm

:golfclap:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I will come and burn down any new m car for absolutely no charge

Just chant “bring back bangle” 3x in a mirror whilst holding a cowboy hat and I will appear

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Erulisse posted:

This sucks :/
You can kind of push it from the inside, turn your wheels left, undo the plastic arch, hit it a few times.
Also check if anything under hood was damaged, check headlight mounts and all the small plastic bits, imo

Can’t even open the hood to check because the wing is crushed up over it. It’s getting fixed by the other guys insurance, there’s paint missing from two panels as well so it’s going to need more than a dent repair.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I will come and burn down any new m car for absolutely no charge

Just chant “bring back bangle” 3x in a mirror whilst holding a cowboy hat and I will appear

My M5 is way behind on lease miles. Come on down for a driiiive (SoCal)

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Tell me you live in my state without telling me you live in my state (AZ)

All houses built after 2000 look exactly the same here.

edit: The garage looks like my house from 2 houses ago (bonus shot of my first C7)

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 28, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
$46k for the most barebones of entry level bimmers

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You used to be able to spec the previous 230i with a manual and msport package for 43k if I remember right.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So there's M Sport (angry plastic), M Performance (more power) and M (M-M-M-MORE power, also more angry plastic)?

BMWs are stupid

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Does that have every option clicked? The base 240i is within spitting distance of that price; why not pony up the extra 3k?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So there's M Sport (angry plastic), M Performance (more power) and M (M-M-M-MORE power, also more angry plastic)?

BMWs are stupid

Everyone does it now.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Everyone does it now.

not to the extremes that BMW goes to: cf. my hateful BMW 116d rental with like 4 M/// badges inside and out

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is a C300

One of these is an AMG C43 and one is a C300 with 5 grand in fake AMG bits. Can you tell which is which?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KillHour posted:

This is a C300

One of these is an AMG C43 and one is a C300 with 5 grand in fake AMG bits. Can you tell which is which?

C43 is fake AMG as well :ssh:

It's the middle one, the grill says AMG on it in tiny letters

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That thundernight metallic looks really loving hot though.

I need a to get a sample book of all the BMW purples so I can daydream about spending the 35k or whatever to color change my dumb wagon

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

C43 is fake AMG as well :ssh:

It's the middle one, the grill says AMG on it in tiny letters

Well yeah but a 330i with the M Sport appearance package doesn't look like an M3 either. The C63s is actually not that different either if you don't know what to look for.

It's really just brakes, wheels, grille and lower fascia outside of the badging. A pre Panamericana grille looks even closer.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 29, 2021

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KillHour posted:

Well yeah but a 330i with the M Sport appearance package doesn't look like an M3 either. The C63s is actually not that different either if you don't know what to look for.

It's really just brakes, wheels, grille and lower fascia outside of the badging. A pre Panamericana grille looks even closer.

The hood used to be the give away, much like the M3 hood had the big dent in the middle

Wonder when they changed it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

The hood used to be the give away, much like the M3 hood had the big dent in the middle

Wonder when they changed it

If you mean the big angry hood vents, the last year for that was 2014 - same as the 6.3L that gave it the name.

RIP to a legend.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I’m casually shopping for E46 wagons for a beater DD and passed on the last one because of rust. This one would be a fly and buy: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/dublin-2001-bmw-325xi-touring-awd/7413116209.html

It’s on the 6th owner who bought it last month as a flip. There is a damage report with “vandalism” in the car fax from the fifth owner, so I’m not sure if he needed to do paint/body as well.

The maintenance list looks really good to me, but he mentioned that the low beams don’t work. He’s checked bulbs and fuses. All other lights work.

I figure this is the LCM, and my understanding is that there is some sort of dark art to finding used or after market parts and recoding them. Can anyone fill me in on that process?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Lol

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38322732/bmw-xm-concept-revealed/

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

oh god drat it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Maybe it looks better on Medium or High graphics?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

is this the point where bmw has finally jumped the shark?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimcicle posted:

is this the point where bmw has finally jumped the shark?

The M2 still exists so probably not yet but this quote in the car and driver article makes me feel like I’m being trolled.

“Some Lunatic BMW Designer” posted:

Good design starts with good proportions," he says.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

cybertrvk

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m pure raging

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

everyone who apologized for the m3 grille has to buy one

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kronix posted:

The M2 still exists so probably not yet but this quote in the car and driver article makes me feel like I’m being trolled.

They don't even make an m2 anymore!

New m240 is supposed to be grrrreat but it definitely has Ugly Butt and Funny Face so the M2 next year is probably going to be even worse

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
in the future powershift's photoshops will come true and the front is Just Grille

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
sad day, but my 332ti is up for sale/part-out

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They don't even make an m2 anymore!

New m240 is supposed to be grrrreat but it definitely has Ugly Butt and Funny Face so the M2 next year is probably going to be even worse

I saw an M240 in person last week and I love it for being the bland base model.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

travisray2004 posted:

Oh, wow! To think that's the prettier side of it, too.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bmw making it real easy to just keep holding on to my e46

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The future is bright for the blue and white

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the uh i4 looks kinda decent i guess?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They should just steal Tesla's Model Y design, but slightly larger and with BMW™ fugly grille.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the uh i4 looks kinda decent i guess?

you got that right pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
look bmw is just driving us to tje future of moving to dense livable cities with viable public transportation via making cars that are ugly and dumb as poo poo