Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I only played her for the first time post patch due to New World shenanigans but good lord is she still very good to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
She is absurdly strong and I have no idea how she got past play testing like this.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Pretty sure the icefroge left a long time ago

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

queef anxiety posted:

Pretty sure the icefroge left a long time ago

this is true, he went on to make pokemon unite with his self insert greninja

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I have a 7 wins streak with Shadow Shaman, he has to be the most powerful pos 5 right now. Super easy to keep your carry safe in beginning, VERY strong auto attack to deny and weaken opponents, and his skillset is INCREDIBLY strong throughout the whole game, even late game you can completely win a fight with a good hex and shackle.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Xarn posted:

She is absurdly strong and I have no idea how she got past play testing like this.

balance in all things

every single hero comes out overtuned. at this point I'm pretty sure icefraud's philosophy is to release them as powerful as he can get away with and then slowly tone them down over time until they feel right

which works okay if you look at the end result i.e. hoodwink and dawnbreaker if you don't mind pubs being hosed for a month or so

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Wasn’t dawnbreaker trash on release

Hoodwink was also like, not a super high win rate hero or especially op

Snapfire was bullshit though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea Dawn was garbage and got like 2 buff patches quickly I think. And then a nerf after over-doing it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did they change how Ranked All Pick works or something? If both teams pick Marci whoever clicked it first gets it instead of it being banned. You still get a message saying both teams picked it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They ever gonna add a cool post-dota hero to the game.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Did they change how Ranked All Pick works or something? If both teams pick Marci whoever clicked it first gets it instead of it being banned. You still get a message saying both teams picked it.

They changed it so that people can play the new hero during release because if it’s banned every game it sucks

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah, you're right about dawnbreaker, she released with a bunch of gamebreaking bugs (losing the hammer forever if you died while it was out lmao) and then got a hotfix bugfix+buff. From there it was back to the lets slowly tone her down plan.

hoodwink however was really strong on release, she only got nerfs for several patches in a row, not as dominant because she's not really a carry like marci

I think the trend holds in general, heroes tend to release on the stronger side then slowly brought down to parity.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xarn posted:

The amount of poo poo you can do with rebound is insane, even before you realize you can combo with stuff like hookshot or blink or teleport.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They ever gonna add a cool post-dota hero to the game.

No

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

As someone who primarily plays 4/5... I hate Marci the game isn't even fun to play with her in it, in my experience.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Sab669 posted:

As someone who primarily plays 4/5... I hate Marci the game isn't even fun to play with her in it, in my experience.

Buy a blink dagger.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Buller posted:

Buy a blink dagger.

Oh, get a blink dagger?Just get a blink dagger? Why don't I strap on my blink dagger helmet and squeeze down into a blink dagger cannon and fire off into blink dagger land, where blink daggers grow on blink daggeries?!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^basically :v:

2250 is hard to come by as a 5, especially after getting your poo poo kicked in the entire lane phase. I've been opting for Ghost Scepter and Force Staff instead lol

Just make her W have a scaling range with levels and she'll be perfectly fine I think.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh, get a blink dagger?Just get a blink dagger? Why don't I strap on my blink dagger helmet and squeeze down into a blink dagger cannon and fire off into blink dagger land, where blink daggers grow on blink daggeries?!

I hope Charlie is the next hero they add. They could just call him the King of the Rats and make him have a passive that gives him immunity to any sedatives and his ult is forcing everyone around him to turn into worms and roll on the ground.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Marcis on my team :allears: :sigh:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Valve just give up on the idea of ranked seasons or what? Feels like it's been a really long time since the last rank reset.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Valve just give up on the idea of ranked seasons or what? Feels like it's been a really long time since the last rank reset.

I think so, yeah. If it brought new or old players back they would have kept it, but it didn't really affect the rank reset or work for marketing the way valve runs dota. The effect was to periodically add uncertainty to the well-established mmr eval, which doesn't really do anything except gently caress up matches at the start of the season.

They added BP-based mmr double downs and sometimes voluntary soft resets to assuage people who think their mmr is wrong and give them a sense of control over it.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

TOOT BOOT posted:

Pretty sure they put the reset button in last year as way to phase out the feature forever. Here's the blog post:

https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/3066366095799664170

valve janitor posted:

In the past we've seen a bunch of negative aspects to forcing everyone to reset their MMR at the same time. That has been part of our reluctance to continue with resetting every 6 months. However after we've expressed this reluctance recently, we've gotten a lot of feedback about how valuable they felt this functionality was to them, along with various suggestions to handling this topic.

For this season, we are going to try a new approach to MMR resets. We are making the MMR reset optional, and for those who want to participate, we instead spread it out so it doesn't create too much volatility at the same time (ontop of the volatility that already exists when you enter calibration). We hope this will remove most of the downsides of MMR resets, and let the people that really want to do it be able to do so in a little bit more of a stable environment.

Upon logging in, you can go to Settings, and under the Account tab there is a new MMR Recalibration section. To prevent everyone from recalibrating at once, start-times will be spaced out evenly between October 22, 2020 and November 22, 2020 and can be activated anytime until the Season is over. Feel free to press the button the moment it's available to you, never press it, or warm back up to competitive play before activating it.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Last MMR recalibration I won all my calibration games and recalibrated back to the same rank, lmao

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Broken tranquil boots giving less speed than brown boots is the dumbest poo poo in the game. Buff tranquils

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Terminal autist posted:

Broken tranquil boots giving less speed than brown boots is the dumbest poo poo in the game. Buff tranquils

:yeah:

https://i.imgur.com/0VmkYHa.mp4

It's a small thing but I love things like this in DOTA :allears:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Sab669 posted:

:yeah:

https://i.imgur.com/0VmkYHa.mp4

It's a small thing but I love things like this in DOTA :allears:

love this. doing it as a rubick with stolen hook is fun too, rubick and pudge switch places like a clunkier venge swap

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
hmm, i haven't played in over 2 years. can someone tldr the last 2 years of changes. when did the side shops go away and what is this neutral item nonsense everyone get off my lawn ahhhh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Side Shops disappeared in 7.23 which dropped in November 2019.

Neutral Items - after the 7:00 mark in the game, neutral camps will occasionally drop items that go in their own little dedicated slot. They come in 5 different tiers, and every 10 minutes you unlock the next tier -- excluding the 5th and final tier, which only drop after 60 minutes. They are comically overpowered, because DOTA needs game-ending poo poo. The Shop UI also has a dedicated Neutral Items tab for managing which items your team has found. You do need to physically pick them up off the ground when a creep drops them. You can just right click them from your backpack to send it to your team's pool of items if you don't want the one that dropped.

Patch 7.28 (2020-12-17) introduced Aghanim's Shard, which is a 1400g item that can be purchased at the 20:00 mark. Similar to Agh's Scepter, this adds or modifies a hero's abilities. For some heroes it's virtually a necessity to buy right at 20 minutes, for others it is a comical waste of 1400g. For some reason the shop shows a Quantity of 1 for the item, but it's not like Wards where your team shares a quantity of them. Everyone can buy one.

Not sure what else :justpost: and by Post I mean Play

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 30, 2021

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Roshan also drops Aghanim's Shards after multiple deaths now.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Roshan also drops Aghanim's Shards after multiple deaths now.

Only on death two, to be clear.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more specifically, Roshan drops vs Roshan kill count:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sab669 posted:

For some reason the shop shows a Quantity of 1 for the item, but it's not like Wards where your team shares a quantity of them. Everyone can buy one.

it's a janky workaround for the fact that the game wasn't designed to have items which you can only buy after a certain time. The item starts out of stock with a stock timer of 20 minutes, then at 20 minutes the stock timer changes to 1 second, so it's functionally always in stock.

same thing happens with infused raindrops, which you aren't allowed to buy for 3 minutes for some reason

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Because lvl 1 nukes are fun.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm worse at this game than I used to be and I was not particularly good before

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Geight posted:

I'm worse at this game than I used to be and I was not particularly good before

You didn't get worse most likely, it's just that everyone else got better. The skill level for many aspects in 1k surpasses 3k 5 years ago.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Everyone left in this game has like, 10k hours played at this point so if you leave you let all the other bads get better than you.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Labyrinth is fun, pick phoenix with sun ray perks for easy wins

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I've had the helping hand chests just fail to open twice now, kinda wish the weekly quest rewards just gave you battle pass points directly without a buggy veneer of gachapon stuff in between

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk whats weirder valve deciding dota needed to be played with controllers or that the anime apparently made mirana british

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

valve are just making sure both of their live-service games are playable on their upcoming hardware release